Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looking for some coop games for three players, preferably ones with an actual beginning and and end. Genre or year unimportant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Captain Invictus posted:

so I made an SA-Mart thread selling a shitload of steam keys I've accrued over the years to help my mom who has gone through a ridiculous amount of poo poo in the hospital for a bit over a month. Any support would be appreciated. be warned, the list is loving huge, CTRL + F for anything you're looking for specifically, or just browse the entire drat list

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007249

I'm not entirely sure what I should ask for game codes, half steam store price? less? I don't want to ask for too much, but also want to be able to get an appreciable amount to help cover mom's expenses, since the FIRST bill she's received so far right after getting out of the hospital was for $1700, so I think she's going to need quite a bit.
I am unable to contribute; however, I will quote this for the new page.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mordja posted:

Looking for some coop games for three players, preferably ones with an actual beginning and and end. Genre or year unimportant.

T R I N E,
and sequels

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mordja posted:

Terraria (has an actual end if you consider killing the Moon Lord to be the end)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

I am unable to contribute; however, I will quote this for the new page.
if it's because you live in japan(you still do, right?) then good news, these are keys, not direct gifts, so they can be redeemed worldwide I believe.

if it's because of $$$$, then no worries, and thanks for the shoutout

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Hello, my dear friend. Have you heard the good word of our lord and savior Metal: Hellsinger?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1061910/Metal_Hellsinger/

It comes out in 2 months but for now there a nifty demo for you to play through a dozen or so times while you wait.

Mordja posted:

The closest games to Doom Eternal are probably Shadow Warrior 3 and Necromunda Hired Gun in that their both kinda just ripping off its gameplay loop. But the former is real short, especially for its price, and the latter is real janky.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ULTRAKILL

Its still in early access unfortunately but the game that is there is incredibly polished and one of the most mechanically refined fps games ive ever played. I think it currently has about 2/3 of the planned content

Still, ever single weapon and variant is useful in some fashion and the action is almost non-stop. My fav weapon is a pistol with a secondary fire where the character will flip a coin into air. If you shoot this coin, it will home in on the nearest enemy and deal critical damage. Even better, if you hit the coin at the exact right moment, it will split in two and hit two enemies. You can also throw multiple coins and they will combo into each other. Theres also comboing this with other weapons to increase the damage to the stratosphere

Theres even more strategy with this, but the point is that every gun has a similar amount of depth, and the shotguns in particular are insane. Theres a lot of movement tech and a whole parrying mechanic as well. You can even parry your own shotgun blasts to deal insane damage

Thankfully, theres a ton of difficulty modes so your first time through, you can just use the same 2 weapons and blast through, but if you want to beat the hardest difficulty, you really need to master the mechanics

Thanks for the suggestions folks! I've had my eye on Metal: Hellsinger for awhile now, but the other ones are new to me!

I ended up keeping BPM: BULLETS PER MINUTE after the refund period as I could see there was something to it. It's pretty addicting now once you get in the groove with the rhythm mechanics. It's worth giving it a chance if anyone has been on the fence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SirSamVimes posted:

Terraria (has an actual end if you consider killing the Moon Lord to be the end)
I have not played terraria in many years, since right after they added the moon lord, and I still consider it one of the best games I've ever played

just an absolutely insane amount of value in that game for the price tag, and the multiplayer is hilarious to boot

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat MH: Rise Sunbreak is so tight. It's been long enough since Iceborne that I forgot the rush you get going into a new Monster Hunter expansion, it's really cool how it recontextualizes all the existing content in addition to adding tons more. It's great having to pay some respect to early-game monsters again when they get faster and more aggressive movesets -- I was hooting and hollering when Great Izuchi jumped up to cling to a wall and then divebombed me and killed me

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bad Seafood posted:

Wow, that's quite the downgrade. I've never played the original so I didn't have a point of reference, but I know from experience (Oddworld) that remastered graphics aren't always for the better.

Yea, now that I think about it I can't recall any Remaster of a game that I cared about that wasn't deeply flawed in some way. Homeworld, Battlezone, HoMM3, etc. I guess RE2, but that's not a remaster so much as a remake. There's always some terrible fuckup that makes you want to use the original binaries instead.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Serephina posted:

Yea, now that I think about it I can't recall any Remaster of a game that I cared about that wasn't deeply flawed in some way. Homeworld, Battlezone, HoMM3, etc. I guess RE2, but that's not a remaster so much as a remake. There's always some terrible fuckup that makes you want to use the original binaries instead.

Toys for Bob did a great job on remaking the original Spyro trilogy. It's the best way to play the first game in the series, the second is about as good as the original and the third was also good even though it was handed off to another studio. Besides that I can't really think of any that manage to live up to the originals, even the Crash remakes from TFB have some wonky platforming sections that don't handle as well as the PS1 source material.

Trials of Mana was solid but has the same problem as Klonoa where everything looks kind of low-budget. The Spyro trilogy feels like it had as much funding as it needed for it to be great and was made by people passionate about the project, a lot of the other ones feel like the studios are just putting out feelers to see if anyone still cares about the franchise and handing the task off to people who are just doing it as a job.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mordja posted:

Off the top of my head:
Factorio
Overcooked series
Magicka

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

Battlezone? What was wrong with that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

Monaco I'd _highly_ recommend for being pick-up-and-play, mission-based with objectives, a storyline to progress through with harder missions, and totally hilarious pandemonium in multiplayer.

Other titles I'd rattle off:
Streets of Rate 4
Metal Slug 3 (or any of them)
Spelunky 1/2
Door Kickers: Action Squad
Borderlands games? (ugh)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

sebmojo posted:

Battlezone? What was wrong with that?

It looked perfect at first, apart from a small detail here and there ("Wheren't there supposed to be enemy mortars here...?" etc), but the big one was me being very puzzled at why combat seemed much harder, I kept taking so much damage. Did I play the game 20 years ago on the lowest difficulty setting, what? Turns out they tweaked the combat AI to be more effective, so that in big fights the tanks spend more time shooting and less time milling about. To me, what I saw was that I couldn't stagger/stunlock enemy tanks in a 1v1 anymore, I could keep hammering at them with an AT-Stabber and they'd just look at me and return the favor. Kind of a big deal for a single player campaign where you do 90% of the work solo. Apparently there where tons of other small tweaks that the community who've been playing continually for the past few decades are annoyed about, but that's the one that put me off.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Mordja posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mordja posted:

Halo 3 or Halo Reach.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Nioh 2
Remnant from the ashes
Dying light
Trine series
Overcooked 2 (also 1 if local)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2.

With the caveat that combats are already excruciatingly slow in solo, and that multiplayer multiplies that, while vastly increasing the chance of chaotic failure, thus making you replay those fights multiple times.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

With the caveat that combats are already excruciatingly slow in solo, and that multiplayer multiplies that, while vastly increasing the chance of chaotic failure, thus making you replay those fights multiple times.

Yeah but the game is really not that difficult.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah but the game is really not that difficult.

You haven't tried to play it with my wife as a fire caster.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

FishMcCool posted:

As soon as anyone mentions fire and Divinity 2 I know the exact goddamn fight you had a real problem with and immediately get sympathy pains deep in my testicles

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Rain is a level 1 spell that costs 1 AP and covers a very large area.
It's probably the most useful spell in the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

Rain is a level 1 spell that costs 1 AP and covers a very large area.
It's probably the most useful spell in the game.

I mean, the most useful spell in the game is the teleport, but I guess that can be the second.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Aliens: Fire Team Elite
Three man squads, bugs to be hunted

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

It looked perfect at first, apart from a small detail here and there ("Wheren't there supposed to be enemy mortars here...?" etc), but the big one was me being very puzzled at why combat seemed much harder, I kept taking so much damage. Did I play the game 20 years ago on the lowest difficulty setting, what? Turns out they tweaked the combat AI to be more effective, so that in big fights the tanks spend more time shooting and less time milling about. To me, what I saw was that I couldn't stagger/stunlock enemy tanks in a 1v1 anymore, I could keep hammering at them with an AT-Stabber and they'd just look at me and return the favor. Kind of a big deal for a single player campaign where you do 90% of the work solo. Apparently there where tons of other small tweaks that the community who've been playing continually for the past few decades are annoyed about, but that's the one that put me off.

Red Odyssey was an absolute bitch. I don’t think I finished it before moving onto Battlezone 2.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Edit: wrong thread.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friend wanted to try the Evil Dead game again last night because they just patched in a free new map based on Castle Kandar from Army of Darkness and that game might be fully dead already. Literally couldn't find another player in matchmaking which is fun because to play the 'vs. AI' mode you still have to have 4 or matchmake to fill in the group so my group of 3 couldn't play at all because either nobody seems to be playing it OR they hosed matchmaking with this update.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Problem is...we've played most of them. D:

Guess I should have specified I was thinking of more obscure/indie games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mordja posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Problem is...we've played most of them. D:

Guess I should have specified I was thinking of more obscure/indie games.

There's Unrailed! if that hasn't been suggested yet (it's procgen with no distinct end, tho)

(e) oh, has a demo too

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

My friend wanted to try the Evil Dead game again last night because they just patched in a free new map based on Castle Kandar from Army of Darkness and that game might be fully dead already. Literally couldn't find another player in matchmaking which is fun because to play the 'vs. AI' mode you still have to have 4 or matchmake to fill in the group so my group of 3 couldn't play at all because either nobody seems to be playing it OR they hosed matchmaking with this update.

Not sure where you're located, but while looking up the patch notes I saw a lot of comments about west coast matchmaking in particular being completely broken after the patch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wintermutant posted:

Not sure where you're located, but while looking up the patch notes I saw a lot of comments about west coast matchmaking in particular being completely broken after the patch.

East coast, but I saw a lot of the same across the board so it might just be matchmaking in general is hosed. Reddit seems to think it's because people are protesting Demon nerfs by quitting the game/going ON STRIKE which is hilarious.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
During the last sale Xander77 gifted me Lethe part 1 to play and review and I have finally gotten around to finishing it.

In Lethe the player character decides to look into his origins so he comes to a remote mining town where he believes he was born. When he arrives it appears there was some kind of accident or tragedy years before and starts to explore. Through a series of notes he finds he uncovers both his origins and what happened to the mining town.

The game contains some basic puzzles which usually involve finding a replacement fuse or activating switches, some remotely (oh yeah you gain telekinesis a short way in). Nothing really more complicated than that.

There are a few enemies and the only way around them is either to sneak or run. I found the enemies particularly frustrating as when running from them I would often get caught on the level geometry and coupled with the limited sprint they would often catch up with me killing me quickly. It also felt like the enemies would teleport nearer me in a couple of areas.

I did enjoy the exploration and the locations and I thought the notes were well written.

This is supposed to be part 1 of a series but this entry came out in 2016 and it doesn't seem like there has been any news of the next episode since then so that does make it a hard game to recommend.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Serephina posted:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Red Odyssey was an absolute bitch. I don’t think I finished it before moving onto Battlezone 2.

There's a workshop mod that ports the BZ1 and Red Odyssey campaigns to BZ2's engine with BZ2's mechanics and is the superior way to play BZ remastered imo. The AI changes they did to 1 Remastered were mostly based on BZ2's AI which made everything kinda grindy when you don't have BZ2's scale or economy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
But didn't BZ2 have weirdly scaling everlasting gobstoppers for an economy? I just wanted to play BZ1 with updated gfx that works on modern OS's! Why is that so hard!

(Don't get me started on what happened to the Homeworld remaster, loving awful)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the willy wonka candy?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serephina posted:

(Don't get me started on what happened to the Homeworld remaster, loving awful)

What do you mean? Sure, the original Homeworld was slightly worse for being remade in the HW2 engine, but they've now managed to upgrade both 1 and 2 to be physics based. It's the definitive way to play 2 at the very least and they include the classic versions as well at no extra charge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the new Skate is going to be F2P lol. price is right horn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh god damnit