Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mr Hootington posted:

The movie is direct to youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Channelawesomecore. Criticwave

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

wow this looks like poo poo. visually I mean. the sets and effects are so distractingly bad I have no idea what the movie’s about

i think its supposed to be ironic? but i cant really rule out the possibility that zombie like filmed the whole thing in his house with a bunch of old munsters props he scooped up for cheap at an estate sale

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

rules. I could see a munsters reboot being really bad but for all his camp rob zombie seems to have a general affection for the source material on this sort of thing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i'm rewatching SWAT Kats on a whim since i have vague positive memories of it from childhood and it's aged better than I was expecting - it's still a nineties Hanna Barbera cartoon so it's not exactly high art, but it's a competent take on the Batman formula only instead of a traumatized billionaire with dead parents it's two ex-military furries with dishonorable discharges, instead of a batmobile and gadget belt it's a fighter jet and dozens of submunitions, and instead of a personal code of ethics it's just constant macho one-upmanship and a disregard for both property and lives

apparently Ted Turner had it personally cancelled because he thought it was too violent for a kid's cartoon but most of these episodes barely even reach double-digit body counts :shrug:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Dragon Ball -ishly: It's a good thing it's sunday and that building was empty.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've been paying attention to when they make a point of sterilizing the violence and when they don't - so far every cop has managed to escape their exploding cars and tanks but only maybe a third of them parachute free of their exploding helicopters, meanwhile the second episode starts with one of the swat kats' missiles going wide during a dogfight and taking out the top of an apartment building and their reaction was basically "oh no, our cool missile!!!"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DoombatINC posted:

I've been paying attention to when they make a point of sterilizing the violence and when they don't - so far every cop has managed to escape their exploding cars and tanks but only maybe a third of them parachute free of their exploding helicopters, meanwhile the second episode starts with one of the swat kats' missiles going wide during a dogfight and taking out the top of an apartment building and their reaction was basically "oh no, our cool missile!!!"

Power Rangers told me that every city has an “abandoned warehouse district” where the warehouses all suspiciously look like high rise office buildings. So I assume that’s where the Swat Kats fired most of their missiles.
I do remember the episode where they go to the evil goatee dimension and just straight up kill their bizarro versions. That was fun.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
get him chopper backup

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe those spurred this specific manifestation, but it's mostly in line with previous moral panics about minorities coming for young white women. People have made a lot of noise about sex trafficking here in the past couple of years, but it's always rich girls calling a parking lot "sketch" or claiming their cousin was almost sex trafficked at a gas station. When there was an actual large-scale sex trafficking bust recently, none of the victims were of that demographic, and the victims were being held by people they knew.

Nice angle too where the Christian adoption orgs are trafficking kids stolen by ICE at the border, pure projection just like the groomer poo poo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Watched Silent Sea. I have to wonder, does the dad from train to busan have to die heroically at the end of every story?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Y'know a movie that handles this exact trope really well? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990). At the end of the film, Shredder hasn't exactly won, but he's forced a draw. His organization and plan are wrecked, but he's proven that the turtles can't stop him, personally. He beat them all and only took one minor wound. He can just walk away and rebuild. Splinter shows up, Shredder can't get over his need for revenge, and ends up throwing himself into the garbage. It establishes the wise old master as a badass, with one move he defeats the enemy who beat all the turtles, but without just making him "just like the turtles, but faster and more acrobatic". He is on a different level and fights in a different way. The villain is defeated by exploiting his previously established character traits. This is thematically satisfying.

Lucas clearly just wanted frenetic visual spectacle, which I guess is ok, but like, huge chunks of the rest of the movie are frenetic visual spectacle.

A whole shitload of conservatives are adults with Oppositional Defiant Disorder who think "The System" is when mom made them take their diarrhea medicine.

The assumption here is that the prequels want you to think Yoda is a wise badass, instead of an ineffectual relic too set in his ways to see the real threat right in front of his eyes. Like that moment you talk about when Yoda starts spinning and being "badass" came right after he started a civil war that would end the republic. It's in the same vein as how it portrays obi-wan as a hypocritical dick in the PT. He's rude and mean to his student in front of others, he calls Jar Jar a pathetic life form, he goes against the advice and teachings he gives to Anakin, but this is supposed to be the best of the order, the paragon Jedi. Both him and Yoda then try to mold Anakins kids as assassins, proving they really hadn't learned a god drat thing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Watched Silent Sea. I have to wonder, does the dad from train to busan have to die heroically at the end of every story?

i only got two episodes in before giving up out of annoyance because it seemed like a two hours movie worth of plot stretched out to eight hours for no good reason does the story ever actually justify the runtime

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Same thing as an OCN drama. It could be cut down to a 2.5 hour movie but the set design was generally good enough to keep me engrossed. There were some annoying flashbacks to inject character motivations in but you can and should skip past them. The show works much better when the characters are mostly competent people trying to solve a mystery and surviving in a space derelict.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoombatINC posted:

i'm rewatching SWAT Kats on a whim since i have vague positive memories of it from childhood and it's aged better than I was expecting - it's still a nineties Hanna Barbera cartoon so it's not exactly high art, but it's a competent take on the Batman formula only instead of a traumatized billionaire with dead parents it's two ex-military furries with dishonorable discharges, instead of a batmobile and gadget belt it's a fighter jet and dozens of submunitions, and instead of a personal code of ethics it's just constant macho one-upmanship and a disregard for both property and lives

apparently Ted Turner had it personally cancelled because he thought it was too violent for a kid's cartoon but most of these episodes barely even reach double-digit body counts :shrug:

Absolute banger of a theme song too.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The movie is direct to video

i will rent out a theater for all of the neighborhood munster heads

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

The assumption here is that the prequels want you to think Yoda is a wise badass, instead of an ineffectual relic too set in his ways to see the real threat right in front of his eyes. Like that moment you talk about when Yoda starts spinning and being "badass" came right after he started a civil war that would end the republic. It's in the same vein as how it portrays obi-wan as a hypocritical dick in the PT. He's rude and mean to his student in front of others, he calls Jar Jar a pathetic life form, he goes against the advice and teachings he gives to Anakin, but this is supposed to be the best of the order, the paragon Jedi. Both him and Yoda then try to mold Anakins kids as assassins, proving they really hadn't learned a god drat thing.

I think they wanted me to think that yoda is da man

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think they wanted me to think that yoda is da man

correct

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
who da man? Yoda man

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I have a very distinct memory of being a small child and absolutely losing my poo poo laughing when yoda started doing flips. I think its the first time i've experienced 'irony'

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

I have a very distinct memory of being a small child and absolutely losing my poo poo laughing when yoda started doing flips. I think its the first time i've experienced 'irony'

well if you were a Film Genius, you would have been going "ah, yes" and rubbing your chin thoughtfully

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
george lucas did immense psychic damage to multiple generations of nerds who are upset (to this day!) that a cartoon gremlin did a few flips and, for that, he is good

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/Cheesegod69/status/1547084245973143554

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lol hell yeah

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Absolute banger of a theme song too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

general grievous was fuckin sick in the genndy tartakovsky cartoon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah he had a pretty bad cough. wonder what was up with that, did it get explained in an EU novel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

indigi posted:

yeah he had a pretty bad cough. wonder what was up with that, did it get explained in an EU novel

Mace Windu crushed his lungs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brad Pitt looking Bog'd

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

indigi posted:

nice try, he didn’t have the cough yet in the cartoon

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Augus posted:

general grievous was fuckin sick in the genndy tartakovsky cartoon

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

indigi posted:

he got covid

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

All they had to do was make these into movies and Star Wars' legacy would be complete.

FP - Would you be surprised to hear me tell the story of how Jar Jar Binks made me want to become a writer? I think it's fair to say that the Thrawn Series by Timothy Zahn and the awful Star Wars movies that followed are the reason I decided I could write. Call it fate, call it artistic envy, my journey toward being a professional author began back in the late 90s with the Thrawn Series by Timothy Zahn.

Back in the early 90s, as a Xennial high school kid who loved all things Star Wars, I was captivated by Heir to the Empire as the first, genuine piece of Star Wars fiction that felt like a worthy addition to Episodes IV, V, and VI. Zahn had the right level of character development, pathos, pacing, action. He got what Star Wars was about, and he wrote a story for all of us who got what Star Wars was about.

THEN EPISODE ONE HAPPENED.

In the run-up to Episode One, like many other geeks I was prepared to wait my turn. Lucas wanted to do the prequels, okay. If they're anything like these amazing Zahn novels, I told myself, then I'm sure they'll no doubt set up the brilliant story arc that will conclude with the sequels that Zahn was obviously writing. That was my expectation.

Coming out of the theater - after three hours of ho-hum dialog, uneven pacing, obvious over-reliance on CGI to cover up the tissue-thin story and ye gods, Jar Jar Binks. We all know where we were the first time we saw Jar Jar Binks.

I talked myself down. "Okay, okay - he's doing this to please the younger kids. He'll get it right eventually. We had twenty years to wait, it's unrealistic to expect everything to meet my expectations." Settle in, find your tribe, things are gonna be okay!

Three years passed between Episode One and Episode Two. I bit my teeth while the Star Wars fandom split into two factions - George Lucas could do no wrong, and George Lucas could do nothing right. Nothing made sense. My world had been shaken - everything I had believed about the superiority of Star Wars over Star Trek (which, let's face it, has been an ugly cash grab since the 70s with all those god-awful tie-in novels by James Blish ... but that's another argument) was gone.

The more I tried to make sense of it, the more confused I got. Episode Two will be better, I told myself. It's grittier, more action-packed, reviews said it was better than Episode One. Be cool, it's gonna be okay.

THEN EPISODE TWO HAPPENED.

I felt like an idiot, walking out of the theater. No, no ... my earlier concerns were justified. These movies were just ... not good. They weren't entertaining, they weren't compelling, they weren't fun. The ridiculously overwrought love story between Padme and Anakin looked as forced as the acting by otherwise-competent professionals. Poor Haydn Christensen looked like he was getting a Force proctology exam and even Natalie Portman in a variety of sexy outfits evoked the same level of sexual tension as Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford in a greasy motor pit (The Falcon in Empire ... the kissing scene).

There are other problems, too (continuity errors, the story revolving around the same people) I'm not re-hashing everything wrong with Episodes One and Two - you know what they are, I know what they are. Other people have spent more time and energy (looking at you, People vs. George Lucas ) on breaking down what went wrong with those movies.

The point is, I came away from the Zahn series *knowing* what good writing looked like and I felt incredibly cheated that the rest of Star Wars threw that energy in the toilet. But I also came away from the Episodes One - Three experience going "We deserve better." We deserved better, right? I spent countless hours debating and arguing why Star Wars had lost its way.

But there were no answers. No matter what, I could never bridge the divides between the different factions of SW fandom and I could never rationalize continuing to love something that obviously didn't love me. What am I supposed to do now, I asked. Sure, I could scream about this online for the next twenty years, but what would that change? Star Wars would still suck.

About the same time, I read Stephen King's "On Writing" and he says something profound that reflects the conclusion I drew from the blood, sweat, and tears. "Most writers can remember the first book he/she put down thinking: I can do better than this." For me, that was Episodes One through Three.

It was time for me to get out of the universes that I no longer fit into. It was time to begin creating my own universes to explore and share. If people could enjoy writing as bad as Episodes One, Two, and Three, then they would *love* the stories I tell. Then I sat down and began to write.

The journey from 2003 until now, well that's another story. But I wanted to tell you this part. Every writer gets their start through inspiration, for me inspiration came in the form of a ridiculous sock-puppet CGI monstrosity that should have been stepped on by the first Bantha it came across. This is the story of how Jar Jar Binks made me want to become a writer.

Thought you'd like to know how much the Thrawn Trilogy influenced me as a person. Timothy Zahn showed me the path, but George Lucas made me want to travel it - if for nothing else than to prove to myself it could be done.

I'll tell the rest of the story later.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tldr

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

All they had to do was make these into movies and Star Wars' legacy would be complete....

:golfclap:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

quote:

It was time for me to get out of the universes that I no longer fit into. It was time to begin creating my own universes to explore and share. If people could enjoy writing as bad as Episodes One, Two, and Three, then they would *love* the stories I tell. Then I sat down and began to write.

Oh nononononono
https://inkican.com/braintacos-science-fiction-audio-books-and-short-stories/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

surely you must source this quote

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im not reading all that rn so someone let me know if it's funny

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

josh04 posted:

surely you must source this quote

it's a dude spruiking his self-published books on imgur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

All they had to do was make these into movies and Star Wars' legacy would be complete.