Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Police/government don't really seem bothered to putting any kind of pressure on India to address this, despite the fact that the businesses doing a lot of these scams are large openly operating call centers. A couple of Youtubers have done far more to fight this problem (and put pressure on the Indian police) than western governments appear to have done.

well if you pay more attention to dudes who make funny youtube videos than government press releases sure. i mean i dont exactly F5 waiting for the hottest developments in international prosecutions but it is out there if you look for it

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/owner-and-operator-india-based-call-centers-sentenced-prison-scamming-us-victims-out-millions

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr/multiple-india-based-call-centers-and-their-directors-indicted-perpetuating-phone-scams

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/indian-national-extradited-us-face-charges-houston-federal-court-leadership-role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Didn't say they do nothing, just said that considering how easy it is to locate and identify the scammers, the Indian police sure do let them operate for a long time. Mark Rober made a video identifying four scam call centers and his following of tens of millions of people was able to embarrass the Indian police enough to raid and shut down those centers. The western governments of countries whose citizens are the victims of billions of dollars worth of these scams every year can't collectively put enough pressure on the Indian government to act but a single Youtuber can get four scammer call centers shut down?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i posted links to western government efforts to get call centers shutdown and you're dinging me because nobody made a youtube video about it? i want to reiterate that life also continues to happen offscreen even when youtube isn't watching

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i posted links to western government efforts to get call centers shutdown and you're dinging me because nobody made a youtube video about it? i want to reiterate that life also continues to happen offscreen even when youtube isn't watching

You're missing the point. You posted links to western governments getting a few call centers getting taken down over the course of 5 years. I'm not saying they aren't doing anything. I'm saying they aren't doing enough. This is a criminal industry worth billions of dollars operating almost unimpeded within an 'ally' of many western governments. Multiple billion dollars are stolen from the often elderly or otherwise disadvantaged citizens of the richest and most powerful countries in the world and a couple cases of shutdown centers is a win for you? You're making this about the 'Youtube' thing when it's really about 'western governments are loving pathetic and/or don't give a poo poo'. Forget Youtube. I use it is an example because private citizens acting on their own are doing more damage to these organizations than western governments.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Watching YouTubers hack scammers and return money and
poo poo is definitely a big Saturday activity for me.

Has anyone else noticed a gigantic uptic in web ads over the last month or so

What is the best way to loving block all this poo poo I'm so loving tired of it the ads basically eclipse the entire screen half the time and can't be closed

And no I don't have a virus or some poo poo. It's my phone. It won't loving stop

Use Kiwi Browser or something similar and install the ublock origin browser extension within it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The only non-spam call I've gotten in months is someone who thought I had called her, somebody probably used my number as a robocall spoof.

I've gotten one or two calls from my own number so that's really something.

I need what now? Help me out I'm an old :corsair:

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 14, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Multiple billion dollars are stolen from the often elderly or otherwise disadvantaged citizens of the richest and most powerful countries in the world and a couple cases of shutdown centers is a win for you? You're making this about the 'Youtube' thing when it's really about 'western governments are loving pathetic and/or don't give a poo poo'. Forget Youtube. I use it is an example because private citizens acting on their own are doing more damage to these organizations than western governments.

this argument is kinda weird given that i gave you evidence and you not only refuse to look for more but you dismiss it as being less damaging somehow

honestly i think you would just prefer to believe in a world where nobody's doing anything about the problem, rather than actually find out what solutions people are attempting

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm sure India (and Canada, in retrospect) wishes Canada had agreed to extradite Talwinder Singh Parmar, too, but international relations are poo poo like that.

YouTube viewers, ironically, have much greater latitude to simply harass governments into compliance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm sure India (and Canada, in retrospect) wishes Canada had agreed to extradite Talwinder Singh Parmar, too, but international relations are poo poo like that.

YouTube viewers, ironically, have much greater latitude to simply harass governments into compliance.

Okay time to convince Linus Sebastian to get really mad about spam calls

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I've gotten one or two calls from my own number so that's really something.

The European General Data Protection Regulation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

In short, it's supposed to significantly constrain what data companies are allowed to collect about users and to what degree they may process it, and backs it up with actually quite beefy fines. For example, companies are no longer allowed to just send you marketing emails out of the cold, you need to either have a pre-existing business relation or have explicitly consented to receiving those emails. Similarly, every such email must have a link to unsubscribe you from whichever list you're on, and that function must actually work.

While there's certainly quite a bit to criticize about the gdpr's actual execution, it sure does have a point.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't get spam calls in the UK? Rarely I'll get a "you pick up and head a automated hang-up tone" but this has never been a problem that I have put any thought into?

You're fortunate. I literally changed my number this month because I was getting between 3-5 A DAY. These were 'scam' calls though, actual 'cold calls' I got rarely except from recruiters.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BiggerBoat posted:

The EU general data protection regulation, made sharing of personal information including phone numbers and email addresses much more difficult and heavily regulated. So companies can't just sell or pass on your details to their dodgy mates

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s ALL voice calls here (USA).

And besides the usual auto warranty thing there’s:

1. Fake Amazon order
2. Fake lawsuit.
3. Fake IRS.

Just put some of these people away for a decade or two.

I live in the US. And no, it's not all voice. Maybe that's all you get but again, as someone in the industry, I'm seeing a whole lot of people making a whole lot of assumptions about poo poo they clearly don't know much about.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Watching YouTubers hack scammers and return money and
poo poo is definitely a big Saturday activity for me.

Has anyone else noticed a gigantic uptic in web ads over the last month or so

What is the best way to loving block all this poo poo I'm so loving tired of it the ads basically eclipse the entire screen half the time and can't be closed

And no I don't have a virus or some poo poo. It's my phone. It won't loving stop

DNS based ad blocking won't stop stuff like youtube ads, but it will handle most other stuff. You can point your phone at one of several such public DNS services, or you can set up self-hosted ad blocking DNS like pihole on your home network, and have your phone VPN into that network.

I did the latter. It's mildly irritating on occasion, but most of the time I don't even think about it. I just don't see ads, even in-app ones.

There are public block lists of varying sanity on GitHub and the like. Setting everything up is fairly easy, to the point of being a decent excuse to learn Linux basics.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 14, 2022

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I've actually somehow fallen off all the auto warranty dialer spam calls, but I get 2 a day from real people "asking about my property" and trying to buy my house up on the cheap. I dunno if it's because I look up the price of my house on zillow on occasion or what but that poo poo is getting really old really fast. It's always a faked number but they have real people on the other end.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Don't get rid of spam calls how else will I handle agression by screaming into the phone or playing "keep them on the phone as long as possible while trying to get them to offer to insure my Trabant"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Don't get rid of spam calls how else will I handle agression by screaming into the phone or playing "keep them on the phone as long as possible while trying to get them to offer to insure my Trabant"

I'm always polite to actual call-center folks, it's just a job... but the scammers? Oh I like to have a bit of fun with them.

Did you know if an Indian scammer calls you, you can in fact get them to shriek death threats at you by suggesting the female members of their family are extremely skilled at oral sex? They just come unhinged!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PT6A posted:

I'm always polite to actual call-center folks, it's just a job... but the scammers? Oh I like to have a bit of fun with them.

Did you know if an Indian scammer calls you, you can in fact get them to shriek death threats at you by suggesting the female members of their family are extremely skilled at oral sex? They just come unhinged!
One time I was loving with one and the dude hung up on me saying "Go to hell," but in a completely polite and calm tone of voice.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

PT6A posted:

I prefer, "Does your mother know you're a thief or do you lie and let her think she did a good job?"

It's the maternal guilt that you're trying to weaponize here.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Motronic posted:

I live in the US. And no, it's not all voice. Maybe that's all you get but again, as someone in the industry, I'm seeing a whole lot of people making a whole lot of assumptions about poo poo they clearly don't know much about.

I think in my case T-Mobile does a decent job of blocking that.

Also most people don’t even have a land line and it’s our land line that gets the calls.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PT6A posted:

One weird trick to get back at scammers

Indian patriarchs hate it!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

This is a pretty cringey/gross way to handle this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/1547666187030474754?s=20&t=95pXKc2w9vYp1Ggz3RQZKA

TL;DR: He's seeking protections in the contract, but he already violated the contract, and most of his actual reason to terminate are extremely flimsy especially in the context of the things he, unironically, tweeted after entering the agreement to buy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

This is a pretty cringey/gross way to handle this.

Oh, absolutely! I can't disagree with that. But these scammers are basically the absolute scum of the earth, preying on vulnerable people while living a life of relative luxury on their ill-gotten gains, so I don't really care.

There have been investigations into this: they know exactly what they're doing, and they're not "scraping by." These are organized, well-practiced criminals who take advantage of the most vulnerable members of our society; I don't mind being cringe if it causes them a few seconds of incandescent rage and misery.

EDIT: To be clear: I don't do it for the "scam-adjacent" things like duct cleaning and warranties and stuff, just the "you've won a free cruise!" or "we've detected a virus on your computer" or "I'm calling from the Visa Mastercard fraud department" or "we've suspended your social insurance number for DRUGS!" There's no case to be made that those people don't know what they're doing is exceptionally fraudulent, and they should be pleased every day they're not in prison.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 15, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If you say misogynistic things to rile someone up it's still misogynistic no matter how much they deserve to be riled up.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

PT6A posted:

Oh, absolutely! I can't disagree with that. But these scammers are basically the absolute scum of the earth, preying on vulnerable people while living a life of relative luxury on their ill-gotten gains, so I don't really care.

The person you're actually interacting with might be a trafficking victim. https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7zb5d/pig-butchering-scam-cambodia-trafficking

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you say misogynistic things to rile someone up it's still misogynistic no matter how much they deserve to be riled up.

Yep.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Have you considered that scam callers might not have great career options wherever they're from and that you can just hang up without being a gross dick to them?

e: like I get pretty pissed when those door-to-door energy scammers* come by, especially since they're legally trespassing in an apartment, but I'm not going to curse them out or call the cops on them because I presume theyre not doing it for the love of scamming and the real problem is governments making that poo poo legal and/or not cracking down on the companies doing it.

*If you don't know what I'm referring to, these are 3rd party energy resellers, and typically the sales people will knock on your door and claim to be from your current provider (they're lying) and have some amazing deal to lower your bill (usually some variable pricing that will end up costing you an extra $20-30 per month) that you need to sign right away.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 15, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Yeah, it's nice and all to have the patience and forgiveness of a saint. Y'all have fun with that.

But for me, a friend's father got taken for over $400k, which ended up being 200 thousand more than he actually had. Loans taken out, retirement cashed out, bonds, stock, and a refinance on the paid off house. Now divorced, basically all his friends and family have written him off except for my friend, and even they can barely look at them. That man is completely destroyed, every memory of him is tainted, every ounce of his reputation is mud, it would have been kinder to blow his head off in the street.

I can recognize the social-economic factors that lead people into bad situations, and still think they deserve to be hounded and harassed and punished in every way possible for the absolute destruction they reap. Hell I have more sympathy and empathy for someone mugging me with a gun at this point than I do for these loving scammers because they loving destroy people down to their soul.

If you don't have someone in your life to see the full depth of damage that these loving cesspits deal to people you really have no loving clue about what you're talking about. It goes so much farther than just stealing money.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the most efficient thing is to just keep them on the line as long as possible to waste their time and money, if you're bored.

Really, though, I should be able to just press a button and redirect them to an FCC honeypot instead of going to a website, filling out some partial information that I can't expand on without actively wasting my time engaging with the scam further, and then never hearing back from them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crain posted:

But for me, a friend's father got taken for over $400k, which ended up being 200 thousand more than he actually had. Loans taken out, retirement cashed out, bonds, stock, and a refinance on the paid off house. Now divorced, basically all his friends and family have written him off except for my friend, and even they can barely look at them. That man is completely destroyed, every memory of him is tainted, every ounce of his reputation is mud, it would have been kinder to blow his head off in the street.

I mean while I get you, I can't help but lol at someone who goes so far out of their way to commit total financial suicide on advice of a random rear end stranger. Was there at least dementia involved?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My grandmother developed dementia and before it was to a point where the family could convince her she needed assistance (or to force the issue legally) she got taken for over $50k. I hate the scummy scammers for it but I also hate her bank for letting a confused 82 year old walk in and wire 50k to a foreign bank no questions asked.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean while I get you, I can't help but lol at someone who goes so far out of their way to commit total financial suicide on advice of a random rear end stranger. Was there at least dementia involved?

He's old, but not that old (early 60's), and far as we know has no cognitive decline diagnosed. From what I've gathered from the post mortem: It's like cult indoctrination, emotional manipulation, gaslighting, every single abuse behavior (other than physical) wrapped into one insanely efficient pipeline for destroying you. The man wasn't seemingly unhappy, but still fell for a love bomb/love scam that loving hard. But that's just the start.

Back in the earlier days of internet scams, like PPPPPPPPowerbook era, the focus was just on finding people dumb enough to fall for their poo poo for awhile. Now they've gone deep in on the psychology of abuse and mentally breaking people. They still start with people dumb enough to start talking to complete strangers who message them out of no where, but once they get in even an little, they destroy you as a means to wring you out even more.

They convince them to do things specifically to isolate them from their families and friends. Then twist every attempt to help the victim to make it seem like the scammer is the only one who cares about them. I don't have a full playbook of what they did to my friend's dad, because I'm sure even he doesn't know, but it's loving terrifying how efficiently they went from first contact to fully demolishing this man. It was maybe 6 months, and he still only barely admits it even WAS a scam.

There are different scams, like the "we're the IRS/FBI/CBP and you're in trouble" or fake purchases which are usually one and done scams looking for fast turn over. But the truly terrifying ones are the love/friendship scams that what I'm describing. That is a whole different level of evil. Running a script in a scam center holding you against your will is one thing, that's just "I gotta do the steps to stay safe". But pulling off a half a year full on psychological profile to brainwash a person into giving you anything you want is not something you can do if you're not into it. I have no sympathy for them and they deserve a tortuous, drawn out death.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Crain posted:

I have no sympathy for them and they deserve a tortuous, drawn out death.

Yeah uh sorry about your friend's dad but what problem is making misogynistic comments at scam callers and drawn out torture meant to solve, exactly? For example, a more relevant solution might involve not

Tuxedo Gin posted:

letting a confused 82 year old walk in and wire 50k to a foreign bank no questions asked.

Dedicated foreign con artists seem like they'd be quite difficult to stop but again, raging bloodlust is probably not the best choice.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

eXXon posted:

Yeah uh sorry about your friend's dad but what problem is making misogynistic comments at scam callers and drawn out torture meant to solve, exactly? For example, a more relevant solution might involve not

Dedicated foreign con artists seem like they'd be quite difficult to stop but again, raging bloodlust is probably not the best choice.

I'm not offering any sort of high minded solution.

I hate them and I want them to suffer.

Yes, there are real solutions that those should be pushed for and implemented to cut off as many avenues as possible for these fuckers, but for me it's not an either/or.

And go ahead and save your follow up post about how above emotions you are and that it won't solve anything. I know, and I'm going to keep abusing these scammer any way I can when they call me.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
worst i've ever done is just play mary had a little lamb with key press tones, on the thinking that perhaps the robo caller would pick up the garbage input and write off my number as a computer or something

as i finished the song i heard from the speaker the pleading cry "oh my god, stop, STOP!" from some poor call center scammer getting nursery rhymes blasted into their headset. apparently when i started pressing buttons it just connected me to a human

then god help me, i started playing mary had a little lamb again

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's not acceptable to punch down on the poor just because they live in a different country.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If you want to yell at those scam people, do it, imo. You have my permission.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

eXXon posted:

Have you considered that scam callers might not have great career options wherever they're from and that you can just hang up without being a gross dick to them?

e: like I get pretty pissed when those door-to-door energy scammers* come by, especially since they're legally trespassing in an apartment, but I'm not going to curse them out or call the cops on them because I presume theyre not doing it for the love of scamming and the real problem is governments making that poo poo legal and/or not cracking down on the companies doing it.

*If you don't know what I'm referring to, these are 3rd party energy resellers, and typically the sales people will knock on your door and claim to be from your current provider (they're lying) and have some amazing deal to lower your bill (usually some variable pricing that will end up costing you an extra $20-30 per month) that you need to sign right away.

I have zero sympathy for any of these loving scumbags, sorry. Nor any salesperson that rationalizes what they do and the lovely lying tactics they adopt to basically loving steal from people.

Listening to Kitboga's channel, hell, just the rude and aggressive way they speak to people when they're not getting their way is enough for me to wish they would get tapeworms made out of poison fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tech nightmare thread: think of the scammers mental health

I don't say racist or sexist poo poo. I just scream into the mic or start asking them WHATS MY NAME IF I HAVE A FILE?

Ala keep on phone as long as possible.

One time all 4 of my phone's all rang at once all 4 scam calls so I circled them up and let them all cause insane reverb.