Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Frame sliders that replace your engine mount bolts is like replacing your seatbelts with an ejection seat.

Aren’t your engine case, handle bars, and fork ends more likely to hit the ground anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mirconium posted:

Smart motorcycle design: Suzuki knows that if you need to remove a through-bolt like an axle bolt or an engine mount bolt, you will have to turn both sides, so they make the fasteners on the two sides different sizes (14 mm and 17 mm). That way you have one socket on one, a different socket on the other, and all is well.

Bad accessory design: I'm putting shogun frame sliders on my bike. In a stroke of genius, they replace the engine mount through-bolt, and have a 19 mm hex... on both sides. Now I have to get up tomorrow and go to the hardware store, buy a second 19mm socket so that I can torque this bullshit down, and proceed to never use that second socket ever again, ever. GENIUS.

Alternatively get a spanner set to complement your socket set. Or a high quality adjustable spanner if you want to spend less money. That'll do fine for just holding one side still while you torque the other down.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The pro move is to use the proper fitting metric socket from your set on one side and the not quite fitting imperial socket from the same set for the other.
If using an impact driver, make sure the ill-fitting socket is on that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Invalido posted:

I find myself having feelings about sockets.

Hell, same

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
When I graduated highschool my dad got me a big chest of craftsman wrenches/sockets of all three sizes in both sae and metric. It's still going strong like 15 years later. I used it to great effect replacing the handlebars in my bike this weekend.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Frame sliders that replace your engine mount bolts is like replacing your seatbelts with an ejection seat.

It's not replacing the engine mount, it's like the same bolt as the engine mount, just longer.

Eg, there is a very long (like a foot) bolt that goes through the engine and the frame, the frame slider kit comes with the same bolt but 3 inches longer so that the frame sliders can mount on it, so the engine is presumably mounted to the same standard. I can see the argument that this may pose a risk of frame bending, but the bolt's a lot thinner than the frame so I'm guessing it should really snap before that becomes an issue. vOv

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What usually happens is the bolt bends quite far before breaking, this tweaks the frame just a little bit (if it's a steel frame it starts rusting from the coating damage) and cracks the mounting boss on the motor. This is leaving out the fact that a lot of engine mounts on the frame spar have engineered flex sleeves that all get thrown in the bin and replaced by a solid spacer. So you spare yourself some cosmetic damage in order to cause mechanical damage, this to me is equivalent to avoiding seatbelt bruising by launching your whole body clear of the car and into a tree. Thinness or thickness of material is neither here nor there, steel comes in different flavors and it's impossible to know if chengshen manufacturing co used the good stuff for that bolt. Ymmv.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 11, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
If you're going to blow the light, just blow the loving light. Don't stop in the middle of the goddamn intersection.

I swear to god every time I leave my house some dickhead pulls poo poo like this. The crossover on the right actually just rolled through the entire intersection without stopping. Once the light turned green the car on the left took off at about 20mph over the speed limit. Both of them had kids in the car.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Do they think that's where you're supposed to stop? :psyduck: I can't think of any other line of reasoning (including rear end in a top hat reasoning) that would put a car there let alone 2 of them.

I just had the most delightful experience 20 minutes from home, as I exited the freeway and began to realize that yes, something is definitely stinging me in the neck. Got to calmly park the bike, remove the gloves, glasses, helmet... open up my jacket so my wife could delicately pluck a yellowjacket off my throat.

Still beat working today.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Do they think that's where you're supposed to stop? :psyduck: I can't think of any other line of reasoning (including rear end in a top hat reasoning) that would put a car there let alone 2 of them.

Judging by the plates he's in Massachusetts; they don't call drivers there massholes for nothin'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've been led to understand that everything is illegal in Massachusetts so you may as well stop wherever

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Remy Marathe posted:

My best guess, because I've seen it so many times at this intersection, is the car on the left had a yellow arrow and waited for traffic, but waited past the time the light changed to red and just stayed there. The one on the right assumed the light was green because this jackwagon was halfway into the intersection so figured it was fine to just roll through (with her foot on the brake the entire time - for safety, presumably).

Jazzzzz posted:

Judging by the plates he's in Massachusetts; they don't call drivers there massholes for nothin'

Human rights and health insurance at the cost of safety on the road. But having spent most of my life in southern MA, Rhode Island drivers are much much worse.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There's a junction near me where there are multiple stop lines. Heading south you have to stop at the earlier one if you haven't crossed it when the traffic light changes for the pedestrian crossing.

Many junctions in residential areas have these markings. Nobody understands whose turn it is so everyone dithers until someone goes for it.

:psyduck:

wow my most boring post ever

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

knox_harrington posted:

There's a junction near me where there are multiple stop lines. Heading south you have to stop at the earlier one if you haven't crossed it when the traffic light changes for the pedestrian crossing.

Many junctions in residential areas have these markings. Nobody understands whose turn it is so everyone dithers until someone goes for it.

:psyduck:

wow my most boring post ever

"We really wanted to put a rotary here but that would require some effort, so good luck."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Colonials :rolleyes:

Only one kind of rotary and it goes BRAPBRAPBRAPBRAP

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

My best guess, because I've seen it so many times at this intersection, is the car on the left had a yellow arrow and waited for traffic, but waited past the time the light changed to red and just stayed there. The one on the right assumed the light was green because this jackwagon was halfway into the intersection so figured it was fine to just roll through (with her foot on the brake the entire time - for safety, presumably).

Human rights and health insurance at the cost of safety on the road. But having spent most of my life in southern MA, Rhode Island drivers are much much worse.

do bikers still do the thing where they pull over at the RI state line to take their helmets off, then do the same but to put them back on again when they're coming back from Providence or wherever

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

do bikers still do the thing where they pull over at the RI state line to take their helmets off, then do the same but to put them back on again when they're coming back from Providence or wherever

oh, you mean donors?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jazzzzz posted:

Lmao yes, I know bikers that do this, but you want to know what's even worse? I've met guys who travel to conceal/open-carry states so they can walk around strapped because they can't do it at home.

Because 'at home' is in Canada.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

But having spent most of my life in southern MA, Rhode Island drivers are much much worse.
Only did 7 years but same lol. Was getting off 95 in Providence and some dude cut me off do get on the same exit. I honked and gave him this finger, as ya do. As I was parking downtown he came up from the other direction, leaned out his window and said "You got something to say to me?!" Like ok, dude.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

The strange thing about this is that the easiest way to carry a helmet is on your head. Safety aside.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

The strange thing about this is that the easiest way to carry a helmet is on your head. Safety aside.

Yea but FREEDOM

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Exactly. I sometimes wish that it was acceptable to wear my helmet more places when off the bike, just to have my hands free for other stuff. Walking into my place of work, a quick dash into a shop etc.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I bought some kind of rifle sling with 2 little carabiner like clips. Clipped the clips together. Chin strap of the helmet used to clip to the sling. Easy and very compact way to carry your helmet.
Alternatively i use the helmet as a shopping basket for getting a few things from a supermarket underway, or clip the helmet to either the straps or the handle of my backpack (bit annoying, it always swings around).

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

I met a guy once who used to throw his (halfshell) helmet into the grass median before approaching the state line, then just pull over and collect it on the way back.

Return Loss posted:

Exactly. I sometimes wish that it was acceptable to wear my helmet more places when off the bike, just to have my hands free for other stuff. Walking into my place of work, a quick dash into a shop etc.

Unless I have to take mine off or it's really hot, or I'll be in there a while, I just pretend I'm The Mandalorian and leave my helmet on at all times.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Return Loss posted:

I have a feeling my next helmet will be a modular just to simplify this sort of thing, where I could just flip it up instead of taking the helmet off entirely.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PA does not have a helmet law if you're over 21 so you see plenty without. The real head scratchers are the squids who ride around with their full face helmet resting on top of their head but not over their face at all. Not really sure what they think that is accomplishing.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

opengl128 posted:

The real head scratchers are the squids who ride around with their full face helmet resting on top of their head but not over their face at all. Not really sure what they think that is accomplishing.

I live in MA and see this fairly often with scooter/grom riders but not on fullsize bikes. I don't get it either. Like I kinda get it if it's really really hot out but even then just ride visor open, usually helps a little bit at least.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

opengl128 posted:

PA does not have a helmet law if you're over 21 so you see plenty without. The real head scratchers are the squids who ride around with their full face helmet resting on top of their head but not over their face at all. Not really sure what they think that is accomplishing.

No helmet law over 18 here either. Pretty common to see squids riding sportbikes and Busas with a helmet hanging off the side of the bike but nothing on their head. :iiam:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Question for the room: What relationship do you have with the top speed of your motorcycles?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
On my 125, "top speed", "cruising speed", and angry redline screaming are all synonyms

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

Question for the room: What relationship do you have with the top speed of your motorcycles?

I assume it has one

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

On my 125, "top speed", "cruising speed", and angry redline screaming are all synonyms

This is the best thing about 125s: you can always use them to the fullest.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I hit 97mph at just over 10k (10.5 redline). I did the math once and the top speed should be 101. Last time I was at that track I only managed like 85 or so because of a headwind :o:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My SV does exactly 202km/h on GPS, which is nice because that's the top speed of the fastest steam train ever. The speedometer said 220.

Up to 180km/h it's pretty chill to ride. The wind takes some weight off your wrists. Above that it starts to feel a bit more sketchy. It was a pretty brutal experience. Hurricane winds as soon as you dare to get above the windshield. The exhaust so hot, that the radiant heat could be felt through my boot despite the 200km/h wind cooling it down. Despite the wind noise, the engine was screaming. You see a truck in the distance, you close in on it rapidly. With a bit of side wind, you first get sucked off course, then blown back again when the wind reappears from behind the truck. And slowing down from 200 to 100 is weird, because you squeeze those brakes pretty hard and after a few seconds you realize you're still doing normal highway speeds.

Also random tar snakes in a corner. That really surprised and scared me. I thought 'this could be it' but turns out, they were plenty grippy. Not all tar snakes are created equal. But sheesh. There was no time to brake. I just kept a neutral throttle position (no acceleration, no deceleration) and hoped for the best. Didn't notice any loss of traction :)

It's a weird sensation, doing that for half an hour and then realizing you just covered 100km. Also it cost me 10 liters of gasoline. Still, 10 liters per 100km at 200km/h isn't too bad of a score.

No idea how fast the FZR is. Previous owner doesn't know either, reckons it's between 200 and 220km/h too.
Hope to get the opportunity to try it out before Germany instates a speed limit which doesn't seem too unlikely to me, because they have a pretty centre-left government these days. Which is excellent in many ways, but getting speed limits would be sad.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 16, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I assume it has one

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

Nice try officer!!

The Ninja 400 hits around 115 mph, haven't GPS confirmed it though. Pretty easy to reach on a nice empty stretch of highway and I've maxed it out a couple times but try not to make it a habit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I test them all.

Fun fact: on a first get zx10, the 'speed limiter' consists of a digital speedo that simply can't read 3 for the first digit. Brilliant!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fat Bob will hit 70mph in 2nd (I've hit 60 at about 5000rpm, and then changed up, it has another 1000rpm to go before redline)... There is no way I'm taking it to redline in 6th.

The LiveWire is I believe electronically limited to 130mph maybe? Not sure, very unlikely I'll get anywhere near that and still feel comfortable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was more interested at seeing how fast the redline was in first gear. Turns out to be around 70-80 kmh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

I test them all.

Fun fact: on a first get zx10, the 'speed limiter' consists of a digital speedo that simply can't read 3 for the first digit. Brilliant!

As I understand it this is a Japanese bike thing. Not going to be a problem for me anyway.

In another country I got up to 270ish but it was very windy and I didn't like it very much. Particularly because as soon as I turned my head at all the wind caught it, so you really have to get behind the fairing.