Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Crab Dad posted:

Paint a Okinawan taxi on the side of a Russian tank and the marines will hit it every time.

that's hand to hand combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Paint a Okinawan taxi on the side of a Russian tank and the marines will hit it every time.

We're talking about javelin accuracy, not M113 obstacle courses.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1546605456889679884
https://twitter.com/IntelArrow/status/1546882181053693954

Uragan and Grad rockets are now decoy rounds too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Uragan and Grad rockets are now decoy rounds too.

For more context - they're launching Grad salvos at the same time as HIMARS salvos to distract the Russian CRAMs and mask the HIMARS rounds. loving brilliant.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
And if those make it through too, bonus hits on something!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven't looked into anything Ukraine related in a while. Can someone give me a summary of the current situation?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't looked into anything Ukraine related in a while. Can someone give me a summary of the current situation?

Warcrimes, offensives more or less ground to a halt, most of the Donbass is in Russian hands but strong evidence of Ukraine counterattack coming up, HIMARS is currently annihilating all of Russia's munitions, other nations standing ready to kick off if things go sideways, I'm sure there's more but that's probably the bulk of it

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Mr. Nice! posted:

HIMARS go brr.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most of Luhansk and half of Donetsk are under Russian control. There's a de-facto operational pause for Russia as they consolidate to attack in the area of Slovyansk following Ukrainian withdrawal from a salient west of Severdonetsk. Other areas of the line have been largely static. There's been some partisan activity/assassinations in Kherson as Russia moves to take the area under it's administration. HIMARS is doing a good job of disrupting Russian command and logistics nodes. Russia is down to recruiting old men and prisoners for now. Ukraine has about 1m under arms but the proportion who are well trained professionals has suffered under grueling attrition since May. Current big questions are being asked about sustainment for both sides.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is what happens when Adobe revokes all of your pirated copies and you use MS paint to try and edit photos.

https://twitter.com/killedinukraine/status/1547280709018173442?s=21&t=OMooCGcsXBqlmihvJWAkbQ

Although I potentially have some sympathy if this person was just some rural bumpkin chosen for no reason besides being an ethnic minority and thus not needing to use “Russian people.”

Granted m being an officer potentially removes all of that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Although I potentially have some sympathy if this person was just some rural bumpkin chosen for no reason besides being an ethnic minority and thus not needing to use “Russian people.”

Granted m being an officer potentially removes all of that.

My sole personal interaction with the Russian military was when Varyag made a port call in SF, but a large proportion of the crew looked extremely Asian. I'm guessing that military service is an attractive option for folks east of the Urals.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madurai posted:

My sole personal interaction with the Russian military was when Varyag made a port call in SF, but a large proportion of the crew looked extremely Asian. I'm guessing that military service is an attractive option for folks east of the Urals.

Yeah I’ve seen videos of what it’s like out there and considering how isolated it is to begin with and probably even more so with current news and how long it takes to travel, that it could be a really attractive thing for a lot of people who are ethnic minorities and live in the Far East. Granted I’m not sure how many people would find being an ethnic minority in the Russian military a terribly good or safe thing.

I wasn’t gonna post anymore dead Russian officers for the day, but this is just way too silly not to post.

https://twitter.com/killedinukraine/status/1547295018632757256?s=21&t=4mKc2FzwSnsOAUew0r45Hw

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Hasn't it been discussed a bunch in these threads about how much of their army is made up of ethnic minorities? I thought that was extremely common knowledge at this point...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

psydude posted:

For more context - they're launching Grad salvos at the same time as HIMARS salvos to distract the Russian CRAMs and mask the HIMARS rounds. loving brilliant.

Holy crap. I wondered what the other stuff impacting was. That's naaasty

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

that's pretty cool

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hasn't it been discussed a bunch in these threads about how much of their army is made up of ethnic minorities? I thought that was extremely common knowledge at this point...

I think the fact he's an officer was the anomaly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah I’ve seen videos of what it’s like out there and considering how isolated it is to begin with and probably even more so with current news and how long it takes to travel, that it could be a really attractive thing for a lot of people who are ethnic minorities and live in the Far East. Granted I’m not sure how many people would find being an ethnic minority in the Russian military a terribly good or safe thing.

I wasn’t gonna post anymore dead Russian officers for the day, but this is just way too silly not to post.

https://twitter.com/killedinukraine/status/1547295018632757256?s=21&t=4mKc2FzwSnsOAUew0r45Hw

Ukrainian Geno Silva: *shoots Russian Scarface in the back with a shotgun*

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/blue_sauron/status/1547484324072722432?s=21&t=dekdfmGcB0DdKzYUFaV2EA

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The age old problem of heating meals in the field has a new Russian solution :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQvs182V5k

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Uhh, I suppose that's one way of heating a meal rapidly

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Uhh, I suppose that's one way of heating a meal rapidly

They wouldn’t be yelling “FIRE!” all the time if it wasn’t wasn’t hot :dadjoke:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/cjdrew94/status/1546252643898630144?s=21&t=MQ3MAjbD5Zj9Hr8_u4mwg
Sometimes dick waving can be funny

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I hate it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I mean that’s literally what the song is about.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah in the video editing and synchronization is spot on. I also absolutely love the finish of the video.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Baconroll posted:

The age old problem of heating meals in the field has a new Russian solution :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQvs182V5k

That bread doesn’t freshly bake itself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woodchip posted:

That bread doesn’t freshly bake itself.

I know he’s not a sailor, but for some reason that random dialogue bark from deus ex popped into my mind of, “I spilled my drink” when I see that dude.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I did not invade Ukraine I did not! Oh HIMARS.

lmao holy poo poo

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

FrozenVent posted:

"The Star Spangled Banner" is about a defense holding despite a devastating artillery barrage. It's as topical as you could possibly get.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

"The Star Spangled Banner" is about a defense holding despite a devastating artillery barrage. It's as topical as you could possibly get.

The whole rockets thing. Although, I suspect a Ukrainian soldier would laugh at seeing Congreve rockets' effects.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Uncle Enzo posted:

Well, except the parts about putting the slaves in their place.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

Well, except the parts about putting the slaves in their place.

Which doesn't exist.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which doesn't exist.

code:
No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1547639975524454400?s=21&t=oA1y6YTiOp-w_GROsLBNAQ

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

code:
No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave

Which is in the context of fighting the British most likely referred to mercenaries and subjects of the British monarchy. It's juxtaposed with "land of the free and home of the brave" - Americans are free citizens of a republic, Britons are subjects of a king. Also likely intertextuality with

quote:

The nations, not so blest as thee,
Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall;
While thou shalt flourish great and free,
The dread and envy of them all.
"Rule, Britannia! rule the waves:
"Britons never will be slaves."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pointless fact about Francis Scott Key, one of his nephews was killed by famous, well infamous, union general Dan THE MAN Sickles, because The nephew was banging sickles wife. Sickles on his own was banging other people too… because of course he was.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is in the context of fighting the British most likely referred to mercenaries and subjects of the British monarchy. It's juxtaposed with "land of the free and home of the brave" - Americans are free citizens of a republic, Britons are subjects of a king. Also likely intertextuality with

Francis Scott Key, Brother in law of Roger Taney, and a slave owner, was almost certainly referring to freedmen and slaves who had sided with the British in order to earn their freedom. There is some scholarly debate due to the archaic nature of the verse, but it's almost certainly about putting slaves in their place.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Madurai posted:

Yeah IIRC from various of the threads it's more that members of ethnic minorities come from parts of Russia that are way poorer, so they're less able to bribe their way out conscription. And then it's one of the few ways to make money, so a bunch sign contracts.

I believe there was also some stuff around the Russians deliberately selecting units from poorer (read: ethnic minority) parts of the country to bear the brunt of the fighting.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They sent their entire military in, there's no units being held back on ethnic grounds. As you said there's just a massive gulf between how attractive 20 or 30k rubles army pay per month look to someone in the sticks in Buryatia or someone from Moscow or Piter, but those regions generally also are majority ethnic Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1547732993434796033?s=21&t=dnrWAUQ-jEqEEmJYOpA8CA

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1547735785691942915?s=21&t=9NlH3rMfID0jYhXl5iNwdQ