Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Those seem like okay numbers to me a know nothing. Does Atlus/Sega seem disappointed in those SMTV numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Those seem like okay numbers to me a know nothing. Does Atlus/Sega seem disappointed in those SMTV numbers?

Almost certainly not. It has already outsold IV's lifelong sales if those numbers are true.

Edit: In fact it may even have outsold SMTIV *and* Apocalypse combined.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Almost certainly not. It has already outsold IV's lifelong sales if those numbers are true.

Edit: In fact it may even have outsold SMTIV *and* Apocalypse combined.

By a fair amount, based on the numbers I could find, though said numbers were fairly out of date. Combined, those two titles are around 700k copies total (though again, out of date by about five years). I somehow doubt they've made up that much of a difference, even if you look at sales past that point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
P5R Switch has a placeholder price of $100 AUD at EB lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Young man: The bosses in this area are twenty levels higher than you and the random encounters.
Ueno is no Beuno!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Good music though

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im; thinking of smt heroines

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://personacentral.com/atlus-fy-march-2022-sales-performance/
quote:

Of note:

• The Nocturne remaster has sold 600k units.
• SMTV has sold a million units.
• P4G PC has, as of July last year, sold a million units.

God I really hope this means we'll see a Steam port of SMT5. I've been playing it off and on since release and while the game's amazing, it runs like utter loving garbage on Switch.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

hamburgers in pockets posted:

God I really hope this means we'll see a Steam port of SMT5. I've been playing it off and on since release and while the game's amazing, it runs like utter loving garbage on Switch.

Trust in the Geforce Now leak.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Young Man, you have beaten the game and found the secret ending.
How the gently caress is the mandala effect responsible for any of this!?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

What are you talking about? I have disliked P5 since I played it and have never been silent about this fact. Its writing sucks, just not for "it's not revolutionary enough." I dislike it because the story is bad, the actual storytelling is worse, and the characters are largely uninteresting, Well, the Thieves themselves are uninteresting outside Haru. I liked the Confidants.

Counter-point. You get to summon Satan ro shoot God in the face for being a controlling jerk.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

cdyoung posted:

Counter-point. You get to summon Satan ro shoot God in the face for being a controlling jerk.

One cool moment in 70 hours, excellent

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cdyoung posted:

I can play Shin Megami Tense IV Apocalypse for that. Plus it has a ton of other things I love.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 14, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P5 is subjectively a better game then Final

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The frustrating writing of 5 was bad enough to make me too depressed to keep the music in rotation due to the mental association.
It's like how I can't even go back to The Simpsons' good seasons after having memories of Lisa calling Elon Musk one of our greatest inventors, or that Lady Gaga episode.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

you can shoot god in the face in 2 more megatens, also (i only played like 40% of apoc but i liked it generally)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

wow it sure sounds like the franchise has a wide variety of titles that players of all stripes can enjoy

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

wow it sure sounds like the franchise has a wide variety of titles that players of all stripes can enjoy

with megaten, any game is someones Fave

thats right even the ones no one talks about or remembers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is a terrible thing to say about a game with so much writing but so much of the appeal is more from the day-to-day hanging out and had nothing to do with the story so the bad writing was never a killer for me

(also i really did love the new stuff in Royal legitimately)

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

kirbysuperstar posted:

One cool moment in 70 hours, excellent

I hit that moment at 110 lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

I don't think I wanna meet the Giten stans

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think I wanna meet the Giten stans

hell i'll say it, giten sounds wild af (like a more off the rails mt2) and also like the code is held together with glue and prayer, unironically excited for that fan tl (so i can watch playthroughs)

me? im a majin tensei stan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Booky posted:

me? im a majin tensei stan

it's cool, i like both of them a gently caress of a lot more than the desu games lol

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's cool, i like both of them a gently caress of a lot more than the desu games lol

i played like an hour of desu1 on the 3ds, went Neat but i wish i could tweak the background music to be higher vs the vas, and then never played it again (think i got guide paralysis or smth for a perfect run too??)
i guess i wanted a more fe style experience out of it or it just didn't really gel??

tho, majin tensei 1s biggest sins (from the half i've played) are imo:
enemy phase is slowwww
maps are like 70% too big
the inventory system, which consists of exactly 16 slots, 90% of which will be filled up with useless gems because no one thought to put them in a separate compartment and also you will constantly be waiting to have a set to trade them in for a armor or w/e
the story and chars are minimalist in a way that just feels really flat and underdeveloped, whats actually there (like 80% through...) is cool tho, too bad about the pacing

ah yea this reminds me i just finished "reading" the majin tensei manga last night, i thought it was cool af even tho i could only understand like 0.02% of what was going on dialogue wise

Booky fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 14, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I see even Majin Tensei stans pretend that Ronde doesn't exist.

Booky posted:

enemy phase is slowwww
Enemy turns are slow as gently caress even if you're playing in an emulator and you're using fast forward.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'd rather re-read the original novels than play ronde again

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ronde is Technically a spiritual successor to majin tensei (afaik it says so on the box) tbf, but also the prerendered cutscenes are so awful they wrap around into being incredible and also its ugly af

(if the timestamp doesn't work just go to 38 mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-3mv7nCM1g&t=2280s

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd rather re-read the original novels than play ronde again

You might be the only person who played Ronde in the first place

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Booky posted:

Who's fav is the Devil Children box pushing puzzle game on GBA?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's just a stand from Jojos with less muscle

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SubG posted:

I see even Majin Tensei stans pretend that Ronde doesn't exist.

Enemy turns are slow as gently caress even if you're playing in an emulator and you're using fast forward.

Never realized your Av was Lillian Gish. Great movie

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Lotus Aura posted:

Who's fav is the Devil Children box pushing puzzle game on GBA?

i for one want to find the card summoner stans

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Booky posted:

Devil Summoner 3 when?

I would also accept another entry in the DDS series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's already a devil summoner 3 a 4 and a 5 incoming

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Devil Summoner 3 when?

I would also accept another entry in the DDS series.

Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army is Devil Summoner 3. Vs King Abaddon is Devil Summoner 4, despite the localization confusingly naming it as Devil Summoner 2 because neither Devil Summoner 1 or Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers were localized at the time, creating a repeat of the old Final Fantasy game naming problem.

The upcoming Soul Hackers 2 is Devil Summoner 5. Just to add more confusion.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army is Devil Summoner 3. Vs King Abaddon is Devil Summoner 4, despite the localization confusingly naming it as Devil Summoner 2 because neither Devil Summoner 1 or Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers were localized at the time, creating a repeat of the old Final Fantasy game naming problem.

The upcoming Soul Hackers 2 is Devil Summoner 5. Just to add more confusion.

Games > Megami Tensei Megathread: They called the 5th Devil Summoner "Soul Hackers 2"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Someone, not knowing the full insane chronology of SMT: I would like a new Raidou Kuzunoha Devil Summoner game

A pedant, smelling weakness and the opportunity to show how terrible their brain is: heh you mean a Devil Summoner 5

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Bogart posted:

Someone, not knowing the full insane chronology of SMT: I would like a new Raidou Kuzunoha Devil Summoner game

A pedant, smelling weakness and the opportunity to show how terrible their brain is: heh you mean a Devil Summoner 5

ah, so you want shin megami tensei 3 nocturne maniax chronicle edition 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I didn't mean to come off as pedantic or arrogant. Sorry.

I'd like a third Raidou game too, I was actually surprised that they went back to the setting of Soul Hackers.