Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Watching this playthrough gives me the same feeling I used to get when one of my friends would constantly try to convince me to play Magic: The Gathering -- which eventually lead to me learning to absolutely despise playing Magic: The Gathering.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I will say that I enjoy the fact that ER has regular estus style healing, and also got rid of weapon durability entirely, which I would argue the game never needed, it's not like it's Fire Emblem 7, which made me keep all the fancy stuff in the wagon and solve everything with iron weapons and first level spells and staves only.

Wait, maybe that wasn't that good then either. (I agree with Nat regarding blood vials, however, I love that the parries can make an enemy vulnerable and also still have them ram your face. "I parry the boulder." "Noted, you even succeed, it doesn't care much though.")

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Subjecting himself to grinding instead of exploring alternate locations just seems like a way to make the game unnecessarily unpleasant when Nat's other critiques of the game have been pretty salient, especially regarding blood vials.

Does Nat have any armor that has better resistance against poison, and is there any other way to buff his resistance to it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Again, problem of trying to be salient while playing a game and discussing with Tea.

The idea I was trying to explain was that exploring another place is also contingent on having Blood Vials available. And that if I run out or die on the way then it's time and more importantly resources wasted as I lose the few blood vials I spent to get wherever.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
One source of difficulty for you, I think, comes from how defensively you're playing. It means that every hit you end up taking has to be healed with a Blood Vial. More aggressive players will get a lot of their healing from the rally system, beating the HP out of their enemies' faces. Even if they take more hits, they often get that health right back, and when they die, they end up not having spent as many Blood Vials since they weren't hanging back and popping them after each hit. Being overly cautious in Bloodborne just gets you worn down and your resources depleted.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I 100% agree with Nat on the blood vials. This is the exact kind of situation where the system is just really stupid. You know you can beat the boss in a few more tries, and want to keep practicing, but for every three tries you have to stop building up muscle memory and learning moves and go for a pointless boring farming run. Yes, Nat could go "somewhere else", but he's obviously perfectly capable of beating BSB right here, right now, and he does not need more weapon upgrades, he does not need more resources, it's just a matter of trying a few more times and figuring out the third phase.

And beating BSB unlocks the prime "go somewhere else" spot, so

This exact thing happened to me, and it was especially unpleasant because I also happen to really hate BSB. It keeps jumping backwards out of my swings, its obfuscated shape tends to make me whiff [visceral] attacks even if I think I'm close enough, and it has a grab move that can basically instantly kill. Which also comes out rarely enough that you keep forgetting it exists. It's just a super unfun fight for me, the rhythm is always wait for it to do an attack you can punish -> hit once or twice -> have it disengage, now you wait again. Its flailing combos need to be waited out completely, its lunge attack is basically unpunishable because it just keeps running in circles afterwards, it's so frustrating. At least by now I know how to do it but it's never fun for me.

And yeah, that pretty substantial runback with a 17/20 Blood Vial counter in the back of my mind telling me "you better win now or you have to do another farming run, tee hee" was just terrific.

EclecticTastes posted:

One source of difficulty for you, I think, comes from how defensively you're playing. It means that every hit you end up taking has to be healed with a Blood Vial. More aggressive players will get a lot of their healing from the rally system, beating the HP out of their enemies' faces. Even if they take more hits, they often get that health right back, and when they die, they end up not having spent as many Blood Vials since they weren't hanging back and popping them after each hit. Being overly cautious in Bloodborne just gets you worn down and your resources depleted.
Unless you really, really know what you're doing, you can't play aggressively against BSB. Nat is playing fairly in its face already, and that keeps him getting grabbed or tagged by one more swing than you'd expect, he keeps trying to parry the lunge which I think is possible but the timing is stupid, that's all generally good principles of BB play. I don't think this is on him.

White Coke posted:

Subjecting himself to grinding instead of exploring alternate locations just seems like a way to make the game unnecessarily unpleasant when Nat's other critiques of the game have been pretty salient, especially regarding blood vials.

Does Nat have any armor that has better resistance against poison, and is there any other way to buff his resistance to it?
The best poison resistance armor in the game is available. There are other ways, but they're not, like, around the corner. As in, you either do a completely different route through the game postponing BSB until it's truly a joke, or you beat it to eventually reach that. This is a "dodge or munch antidotes" fight. Which is also stupid, because they're limited and not cheap.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I really don't think the lunge is parry fodder. You barely even have to dodge it, just take a step left and let it sail by. As for the poison, I don't think it's worth using an antidote in the heat of battle because it's likely to just get applied again immediately after. I usually just heal through it and only cleanse it if I've won.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
tea make nat use the cum dungeon next

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

tea make nat use the cum dungeon next

If Tea guides Nat into the dungeons next this LP will end in a ragequit

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

Again, problem of trying to be salient while playing a game and discussing with Tea.

The idea I was trying to explain was that exploring another place is also contingent on having Blood Vials available. And that if I run out or die on the way then it's time and more importantly resources wasted as I lose the few blood vials I spent to get wherever.

On the other hand exploring new areas lets you pick up the pre-placed drops which will include blood vials, but also upgrade materials, and maybe even new weapons and armor. On top of the echoes and items you'll get from enemies.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

EclecticTastes posted:

This post really encapsulates what most people either love or hate about From games. A lot of their games have a fairly specific playstyle that you either embrace or you suffer through. In the case of Sekiro and Bloodborne, you're going to have a much better time if you embrace the style they want you to embrace. And From's designers will absolutely punish you until you play the way they want you to play. It's like an abusive relationship, in game form.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Simply Simon posted:

I 100% agree with Nat on the blood vials. This is the exact kind of situation where the system is just really stupid. You know you can beat the boss in a few more tries, and want to keep practicing, but for every three tries you have to stop building up muscle memory and learning moves and go for a pointless boring farming run. Yes, Nat could go "somewhere else", but he's obviously perfectly capable of beating BSB right here, right now, and he does not need more weapon upgrades, he does not need more resources, it's just a matter of trying a few more times and figuring out the third phase.

Agreed. The blood vial system just seems so poorly thought out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

EclecticTastes posted:

This is something that's going to come up a little later in the LP but I just want to note that this comment exists, I've read and understood it and I have opinions on it that I'll voice at a more appropriate time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPVWvz_WZk

Art will be along shortly!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hours of practice until you can effortlessly clown on scary bosses is how one becomes a hunter. Congrats!

You can immediately see how your higher Skill (stat not proficiency) has an impact: not because the Cane deals a lot more damage - your viscerals do.

Something I find really neat is how helpful Alfred is. Not only does he give you Fire Papers, which is exactly what BSB is weak to, he also comes along himself, and even shows you how awful using slow smashy weapons against BSB can be. What a legend.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is it bad to use slow smashy weapons for bsb though? I beat him using the kirkhammer the first time i found him. This boss just didn't seem hard to me at all

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Slaan posted:

Is it bad to use slow smashy weapons for bsb though? I beat him using the kirkhammer the first time i found him. This boss just didn't seem hard to me at all
As I said, I really hate BSB because I can never get into a rhythm with it, and it frustrates me immensely if it dodges away from my hammer swings. Add to that my issue with perceiving if I'm even close enough to it (making the hammer deal only piddly non sweet spot damage), and it quickly got very annoying for me. It's definitely a "me" issue though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Absolutely. Bosses are weird in From games. You can clown on a hard boss but struggle on an easy one just because it feels better. BSB is easy to me but it took me forever to figure out the dog statue things in elden ring

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They are also really dependent on your favorite approaches, the most famously hard ER boss was far easier for me than the second instance of a specific gatekeeper boss for that reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon posted:

If Tea guides Nat into the dungeons next this LP will end in a ragequit

I laughed so much at this when I read it by the way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I laughed so much at this when I read it by the way.
excellent

anyway now I hope you immediately try to push through all the way to Pthumeru 3

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Nat20's Tuesday Essay (on a Wednesday)

3. Bloodborne and World of Warcraft - How I stopped caring and embraced the grind.

I hate grinding. I think it's dumb tedious work that games put in when they've run out of ideas and want to pad length. Most grinding games just don't work on me, Diablo bores me in a couple of hours, I couldn't get through more than a few minutes of Borderlands and do not get me started on Roguelikes because we will be here all day.

Bloodborne necessitates grinding through its Blood Vial system. As a new player you need Blood vials to progress and if you run out then your progress grinds to a halt. Back when we first fought Blood Starved Beast in Episode 16 you can hear my frustration at the tail end of the episode. Tea and I actually had a much longer discussion over what was going on that got cut because it was long, boring and better written than spoken. After my third attempt on that fight I know for sure that on the fourth attempt the boss is almost certainly dead, I've figured out the trick to beating it, but I'm out of vials so I can't try any more.

The more eagle eyed among you might also realise that I went into the third attempt on only 10 vials. I contend that there's a good chance I would have actually won on that third attempt if I'd had full resources going in.

To put simply, I was tremendously frustrated with the game after recording Episode 16. I was honestly considering whether I should end the LP because of how angry I was. I just didn't feel like the game wanted me to have fun.

I started thinking to myself about a post I might put together about why I was quitting and I kept coming down to a single idea.

Bloodborne reminds me of Vanilla World of Warcraft.

Those among you who've followed us for a while will know that I've played World of Warcraft from its inception. For better or worse across 15 years I've seen the game evolve and change, aping gaming trends of the time and also just evolving the way that it thinks about games in general.

The original, or Vanilla, World of Warcraft had a death system where you lost durability if you died and had to run back to your corpse before you could play again. It had a system of permanent loss of consumables if you died to something whilst you had them. It had enemies that weren't too threatening alone but because absolutely deadly in small groups. Level up points, or talents are very expensive to move around and as a hunter I would consume ammunition fighting enemies that I would have to go back to town to replenish.

Every single part of its tertiary loop (so the long term systems you're engaging with, as opposed to primary loop which is the immediate next 10 seconds of gameplay you'll be doing) is just eerily similar to Bloodborne's.

But over time we saw Blizzard move away from these systems. Talent changes became free, consumables became very very cheap and lasted through death, you'd respawn in front of, or very near bosses when you died. Hunters got unlimited ammo and yeah, you still lose durability but that's largely so that the economy is kept in check rather than a punishment for the player.

This has led to a more streamlined game. Bosses can be much harder than they used to be because players simply get more uptime on them than they used to and everyone thought it was a better system.

Right?

World of Warcraft Classic launched in 2019 after fan outcry for a return to the old style of MMOs. And weirdly enough I was one of the people who returned and enjoyed the hell out of playing it.

But how does that square with my hatred of grinding?

It doesn't really. I love raiding (raiding is a concept where a large group of players gather at a specific time and place to take on strong bosses in the game, usually we'd arrange for Sunday 7pm UK as our raid time) in WoW, I love raiding in Vanilla more than anything. Organising 40 lemmings into a group and having them play through and enjoy the game is rewarding for me. I like managing them, ensuring they get their fair share of loot and seeing how happy we are when we progress through the game.

So I would just take 20 minutes a day to grind up gold for my raid consumables and they would help make the raid more interesting for myself and also make it go smoother for everyone involved. (To be fair, it helps that the grinding process was *really* interesting and involves a hunter soloing a max level 5 man dungeon, but I still did that upwards of like 400 times across the lifetime of that game)

As I thought about this comparison I realised that this comparison was my solution.

See I love LPing. I love getting to chat with my best friend about a game we're playing, I love seeing your comments on what we do. I love editing silly videos and discovering new games and skills.

So how is the LP any different from my raid night? It's a Sunday activity that takes a set amount of time and is a regular activity.

It's just not. It's the same.

So what's 20 minutes per day farming Blood Vials to make my raid night smoother?

Nothing that I haven't done hundreds of times before.

You'll see Tea get worried in the next few episodes about my decision to just grind out resources. But it's not something to worry about. It's just what I've always done and it has done wonders to make this game better for me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tea still hasn't understood the difference between a parry (you shoot something with the gun during their attack window, making them stagger and ready for a visceral) and causing the stagger by other means (limb breaks, dealing enough damage in a short amount of time), which might set them up for a visc or not. You were able to visc the Giant after dealing enough damage in a short amount of time to it, and he has another mechanic you used to kill it: it has a pustule on one leg that causes massive damage if you pop it. You cannot parry it with your gun.

I don't like Undead Giant. It is much more of a Dark Souls boss than it is a Bloodborne boss - in other words (for Nat and others with no comparison), as Nat himself found out, you wait until it has finished a combo, then you attack. Do not try to combo it, don't try to weave in and out of its attacks, and you can't even dodge through the first attack of its combo, get behind it like that and have the other attacks whiff as you wail on it (that kind of works for BSB and works wonders for Cleric Beast, for example). Undead Giant can turn on a dime, extend its combos by a LOT, and has a kick as well as the slam in the second phase to punish you being close to it for longer. The only consistent way to fight it is indeed to wait, get a hit or at max two in, and back the gently caress off again. The only wrinkle is that you can pop the pimple whenever you want, ideally at the end - as Nat did - because it trigger the phase transition if that hasn't happened already. So, Nat actually did it perfectly. Kudos!

Natural 20 posted:

Nat20's Tuesday Essay (on a Wednesday)
These are all very valid deliberations. I don't necessarily agree that you'll have to grind for every time you go out into the world of Yharnam, like it's a routine for every raid; you are quite skilled at the game already, and you'll find yourself with an Echoes surplus often enough that you will just be able to stock up. Especially if you're not allergic to Chalices, because exploring them rarely costs you too much in the way of Vials, the deeper you go, the more Echoes you'll get, and eventually you can easily decide to go into a Chalice when you're stuck at a boss, for variety, progress in the Chalice itself, and a nice stash of Echoes you can turn into sometimes triple-digit amounts of Vials to set you up for a bunch of boss tries.

But the beginning of your journey to arrive at your conclusion is very valid - imo dealing with the system requires a mindset change for most players, unless you start with the "correct" one (to not get frustrated, that is). For me, figuring out that you can always go somewhere else, that the game is much less linear than it appears to be (as Tea said, Old Yharnam is optional), was the breakthrough, just mentally. Vials running out? Just go dungeon diving for a bit. Usually, taking a break on a boss is not a bad idea anyway. However, I know plenty of players, like a buddy of mine, who cannot deal with a boss left unbeaten and who hate going into multiple directions at once - this argument won't appeal to them, so they'll have to find another solution to deal with the issue that is the limited consumable.

EDIT: was writing this while watching the video. You keep complaining about not being able to follow up a successful parry, framing it as the game not working correctly. Now, phasing through the fatty? Bullshit. I grant you that. But at least two of the times you tried to visc the watchers, you parry from far away - they're staggered - you stroll over - they are no longer staggered as you reach them. You have at most a second to visc them after a parry. Every enemy remains staggered for the same amount of time, that's consistent - it's up to you to get to them in time. That's the tradeoff for the parry being long-range. In Dark Souls, you parry with a shield in melee range, you'll always be close enough for a riposte/visceral. In BB, you often have to dash towards the enemy to visc in time. And if they knock you down with the attack you parry at the same time, tough poo poo - you won't get up in time, that's just how it is.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 20, 2022

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I wonder how Nat would feel using two-handed weapons. No need to worry about parrying if you can’t hold your gun.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Natural 20 posted:

I hate grinding. I think it's dumb tedious work that games put in when they've run out of ideas and want to pad length. Most grinding games just don't work on me, Diablo bores me in a couple of hours, I couldn't get through more than a few minutes of Borderlands and do not get me started on Roguelikes because we will be here all day.

Now you've reached the point where I generally stop playing and try find a way to break the single player game code to cheat in the item(s) that are creating the sense of tedium to collect. Granted, that doesn't happen often, but if the game has demonstrated that it has elements I enjoy, but has introduced one system that left as-is, will ultimately lead to my inability to continue to have fun with my purchase -- then as far as I'm concerned, that system is going to get bypassed before I continue. And if I can't do that within the rules of the game itself, then I'll do it in the system memory while the executable is running.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I admire your dedication to try and parry literally everything, standing there gun cocked as a freight train descends upon you, but I also lol about it a lot

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nat is a true victorian gentleman in that way. He is a duelist that proceeds under formal dueling rules, but is willing and able to show his honor and skill through the ancient arts of parry, cut and thrust. Add in the fashionable cane, hat, three piece suit and cloak, he is assuredly a Hunter the Queen may be proud of :britain:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think a podium is for people to stand on while a dais is for presenting objects. But that might just be in my own head rather than a proper definition.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

I think a podium is for people to stand on while a dais is for presenting objects. But that might just be in my own head rather than a proper definition.
Yeah, the clue is in the name, pous/pod is ancient Greek for foot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 23, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Natural 20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMnAqGwdqzc

Art will be along when I'm not getting drunk with Tea.

Good job Nat you got em. I feel dog boy is best exploited though his charge as long as you dodge it you can carve into his side fairly easily.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The amount of Blood Echoes you gain over time versus how much it costs to gain levels do not even the tiniest, remotest bit keep pace with one another unless you're an MLG Pro Gamer doing a low-level run. Like, a decent run between lanterns in the early game could get you three or four levels, while by the end of the game, a similar run will only get you one, if you're lucky. York is absolutely on the money that it's easier to branch out your build earlier in the game. By the end of the game, your build will be mostly fixed in place, and you'll be spending Blood Echoes more on upgrading gear and topping off consumables.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Here's a bit of a boss analysis.
- you can break his limbs like most beast bosses'. The forelegs are obvious and it happened often, but you can also break the hind ones - they are much more durable tho - and the head, which happened at the end with the BMA'd gunshot
- limb breaks stun the boss for a bit (not a stagger that can be visceral punished, so it doesn't play the you-parried-sound, TEA) and make further hits on the limb deal more damage
- the boss always responds to a leg break with an AOE explosion, so punishing his stun is actually a bad idea, at least if you wildly combo your stam away
- the phase transition is signified by the big explosion where it sucks sparks in. This doubles as its limb heal move, making the legs take less damage again, but open the boss up to being staggered again
- trying to break the head is insanely risky, but if you find a good way to do it (e.g. by whipping it from far enough away that you can evade the bites), you can really rack up damage after it's broken. Maybe not the best tactic, but it exists
- you cannot parry any move this boss does. It's simply too big

I don't like Watchdog much in practice - it is a boss that forces you to be defensive, to avoid its constant tantrums, AOE explosions, and of course the charge, and that is not fun in BB's system - but it's definitely well thought out overall. Again, this is a boss that would be better in a Souls game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Here's a bit of a boss analysis.
- you can break his limbs like most beast bosses'. The forelegs are obvious and it happened often, but you can also break the hind ones - they are much more durable tho - and the head, which happened at the end with the BMA'd gunshot
- limb breaks stun the boss for a bit (not a stagger that can be visceral punished, so it doesn't play the you-parried-sound, TEA) and make further hits on the limb deal more damage
- the boss always responds to a leg break with an AOE explosion, so punishing his stun is actually a bad idea, at least if you wildly combo your stam away
- the phase transition is signified by the big explosion where it sucks sparks in. This doubles as its limb heal move, making the legs take less damage again, but open the boss up to being staggered again
- trying to break the head is insanely risky, but if you find a good way to do it (e.g. by whipping it from far enough away that you can evade the bites), you can really rack up damage after it's broken. Maybe not the best tactic, but it exists
- you cannot parry any move this boss does. It's simply too big

I don't like Watchdog much in practice - it is a boss that forces you to be defensive, to avoid its constant tantrums, AOE explosions, and of course the charge, and that is not fun in BB's system - but it's definitely well thought out overall. Again, this is a boss that would be better in a Souls game.

Whipping the boss to death has its own detailed strategy guide for speed running it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Bloodborne - 21 - Djura The Hunter

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well that fight ended far differently then I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

You keep blaming the game when many of your issues come down to your refusal to use a different weapon. The threaded cane has comparatively little reach when untransformed, and does next to no hitstun, and here you are, whiffing tons of attacks because you overestimate the length of the weapon, and getting hit back because enemies aren't taking enough hitstun. Seems like there might be a connection, there. The threaded cane's intended playstyle is "whack, sidestep, repeat" because it does nothing to prevent foes from smacking you around. If "aggressive" to you means "murder them before they get a hit in by mashing the attack button a bunch", you're going to want a heavier weapon, period.