Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So what are you counting as luxury then? Bentley, RR and uhh?

Pretty much. Not to say that bmw or merc dont make some very expensive luxury cars, but those are halo models and the majority of their offerings are pretty bog standard stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fridge corn posted:

Pretty much. Not to say that bmw or merc dont make some very expensive luxury cars, but those are halo models and the majority of their offerings are pretty bog standard stuff

seems like a pretty small and irrelevant segment!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So what are you counting as luxury then? Bentley, RR and uhh?

Bugatti, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche, anything with a 150k€+ base listing price really.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I can just see used car ads in a few years.

"2027 BMW 540iS, 23,000 miles V8 engine, ALL OPTIONS, FULLY SUBSCRIBED TILL THE END OF 2030!! A REAL STEAL AT ONLY $97835 plus tax, licensing, window etching, subscription continuance fee, call now"!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guess the markets are just different then, over in NA everything from BMW/Audi/Merc to Lexus/Acura/Infiniti to Cadillac is just called "luxury"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

This is one of our runabouts/chase cars at work

An Audi. Look at it. Virtually indistinguishable from the Mazda3 I was sat in when I took this photo. Pathetic!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

carry on then posted:

Guess the markets are just different then, over in NA everything from BMW/Audi/Merc to Lexus/Acura/Infiniti to Cadillac is just called "luxury"

It's a byproduct of cars in Europe costing an arm and leg where expensive car brands want to get closer to customer attainable pricing but still want to keep an halo of exclusivity. It's the bread and butter of brands like Alfa Romeo which could never justify luxury pricing for its value.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I can just see used car ads in a few years.

"2027 BMW 540iS, 23,000 miles V8 engine, ALL OPTIONS, FULLY SUBSCRIBED TILL THE END OF 2030!! A REAL STEAL AT ONLY $97835 plus tax, licensing, window etching, subscription continuance fee, call now"!

Thanks I hate it, and you're probably spot on

fridge corn posted:

This is one of our runabouts/chase cars at work

An Audi. Look at it. Virtually indistinguishable from the Mazda3 I was sat in when I took this photo. Pathetic!

As an Audi fan I agree with you, it is shameful. Obviously it is the lowest of the low but all of their models are looking even more generic than before. The classic design philosophy that led to the successes of the market leading attractive TT, R8, A8 and others have morphed into a boring focus grouped blob for all but the most expensive models.

I still think the A4 is competitive against the 3 series, but all things equal I'm probably still gonna go for the 3 series, it's just when I bought used the 3 series held much more of its value so it was thousands more $ for the same specs.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 13, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Thanks I hate it, and you're probably spot on

As an Audi fan I agree with you, it is shameful. Obviously it is the lowest of the low but all of their models are looking even more generic than before. The classic design philosophy that led to the successes of the market leading attractive TT, R8, A8 and others have morphed into a boring focus grouped blob for all but the most expensive models.

I still think the A4 is competitive against the 3 series, but all things equal I'm probably still gonna go for the 3 series, it's just when I bought used the 3 series held much more of its value so it was thousands more $ for the same specs.

I mistook the current gen 1 series for a Ford Focus the other day lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we don't get any of the really little dire German poo poo for the most part although that's changing a bit, probably helps overall brand perception

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah in EU your basic 3-series or C-class are definately not luxury. Premium yes, meaning that they are a step above say VW or Peugeot or other mainstream brands. S-class or 7-series are in the luxury bracket.

Yeah taxation here can give weird incentives. If you can buy stuff "aftermarket" it can be a lot cheaper just by avoiding the car sales tax. Not that I want to be excusing the subscription bullshit, but in some cases it might actually be cheaper that way.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Zero One posted:

I've used mine and my heated steering wheel. Had a couple days last winter it was down to freezing in Orlando.

Probably wouldn't pay extra for a few days use of it but I do use mine.

Now my cooled seats... Those I have on almost every day of the year.

Cooled seats are a revelation. We live in Minnesota, and I would still take cooled seats over heated steering wheel in a heartbeat.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah in EU your basic 3-series or C-class are definately not luxury. Premium yes, meaning that they are a step above say VW or Peugeot or other mainstream brands. S-class or 7-series are in the luxury bracket.

In the US, we tend not to get the barebones models that you guys get in the EU/abroad. A 3-series/C-class will generally come with leather (*MBTex) standard for example, and cloth isn't an option in the 3 series/C-class.

That's changed a bit over the years as BMW/Mercedes have brought over cars that try to compete on the lower end, but in general it still holds true.

I would say most people in the US consider BMW/Mercedes luxury cars.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yes agreed with what RE said, and keep in mind mainstream makes in the US have come up bigly in the last 10 years, and even in the last 5 regarding thoughtful exterior design, interior material quality and layout. This further reduces the spread in quality and fit/finish between entry-level luxo BMW/Audi/Merc and the other brands. If you look real closely you can spot the cost cutting, but 99%+ of buyers are not going to care.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

In Taiwan over the past 5 years, Skodas have become pretty popular because they are the cheapest European brand around. Anything European is considered "classier" than the locally made brands.

There is a huge price difference here between the stuff that is made with a license domestically (Corolla Cross, Kicks, Focus, HR-V) and imported. Skodas are cheaper than any other European model, and just close enough in price at their base to be worth it. I still think BMWs outsell them because if you really have the money, you get them. You get a Skoda if you want to feel like you have the money.

For example, subcompact sales, domestically made on top, imported on bottom:

And SUVs:

The Corolla Cross sold twice as much as any other car last year, and will again this year. If your country doesn't sell it yet, don't worry. It is coming. It looks like every generic SUV you see in a videogame.

Tesla (which is 95% of all electric cars sold here), BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Land Rover, Audi, Porsche, Mini(?), Volvo(??) and Ssangyong(???) are included in other charts.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kivi posted:

I don't mind if it means I can buy those features afterwards permanently. Around here cars are taxed 200% so every optional extra on the time of delivery also costs 200% more. If it's bought after market it should have less tax (just the 20% or so VAT) => more features for cheaper and I can pick and choose what I want instead of it either being baked in a special edition or whatever.

I remember sitting in a new Mercedes that had this sort of "app shop" too where I could've bought stuff like Spotify and seat warmers some time ago.

What about a business model where you buy a bare chassis “car” for 10 grand and then wheel it to the aftermarket joint next door and get a motor installed for 10k, interior for 5k, etc.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

What about a business model where you buy a bare chassis “car” for 10 grand and then wheel it to the aftermarket joint next door and get a motor installed for 10k, interior for 5k, etc.

I'd be ok if coachbuilding made a serious comeback.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Full Collapse posted:

I'd be ok if coachbuilding made a serious comeback.

Don't let your dreams be dreams: https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/e-series-stripped-chassis/

It even comes with the brand new excellent 7.3L V8.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You tempt me so much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SlowBloke posted:

It was a classic dealer trick here to import special poverty spec e classes made for fleet/taxi purpose and sell them at standard spec prices to nouveau rich that never went into a merc so they didn't notice the cheap materials.

American manufacturers reclaimed this market with tarted up trucks and SUVs. Hello, Escalade

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GoutPatrol posted:

In Taiwan over the past 5 years, Skodas have become pretty popular because they are the cheapest European brand around. Anything European is considered "classier" than the locally made brands.

There is a huge price difference here between the stuff that is made with a license domestically (Corolla Cross, Kicks, Focus, HR-V) and imported. Skodas are cheaper than any other European model, and just close enough in price at their base to be worth it. I still think BMWs outsell them because if you really have the money, you get them. You get a Skoda if you want to feel like you have the money.

For example, subcompact sales, domestically made on top, imported on bottom:

And SUVs:

The Corolla Cross sold twice as much as any other car last year, and will again this year. If your country doesn't sell it yet, don't worry. It is coming. It looks like every generic SUV you see in a videogame.

Tesla (which is 95% of all electric cars sold here), BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Land Rover, Audi, Porsche, Mini(?), Volvo(??) and Ssangyong(???) are included in other charts.
Skoda as a fancy premium brand :lmao:

I've been to Taiwan a few years ago, don't remember seeing anything Skoda. I feel like all of these cars are outsold by the loving scooters like 100:1 anyway

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this RN, but I'm feeling there are reasons why all the tarted up "premium brands" (Lexus, Genesis, Acura, Infiniti etc) were first introduced *and* successful in the US. Most of them haven't even been sold in the EU.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this RN, but I'm feeling there are reasons why all the tarted up "premium brands" (Lexus, Genesis, Acura, Infiniti etc) were first introduced *and* successful in the US. Most of them haven't even been sold in the EU.

Infiniti was introduced in eu with the g35 and it tanked stupendously, with 911 prices for that lead bathtub. Lexus are very rare since the looks are too weird for the market. I don't think Acura or Genesis are sold here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mobby_6kl posted:

Skoda as a fancy premium brand :lmao:

I've been to Taiwan a few years ago, don't remember seeing anything Skoda. I feel like all of these cars are outsold by the loving scooters like 100:1 anyway

Yeah having a car instead of just a scooter is already a signifier of something.

and now I guess to post the Skoda dance: https://youtu.be/PFZzmNojdoE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It’s beautiful

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Because Americans have no class and will believe anyone telling them what's classy?

Real answer is that Japanese manufacturers did not have a very strong presence in the euro market in the 90s anyway so there was no way they'd be able to support launching all these brands. Even a civic was a sort of rare and awkward thing to have in the uk in the 90s

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Lexus started as a shameles copy of Mercedes. Very tryhard, and I think it has coloured the perception of all asian premium cars to this day. Why would you buy a blinged out Toyota, that tries to copy the Merc when you can just buy the real thing?

Also, the very popular myth in the US is that Japanese cars are very reliable and Euro cars are the opposite. True or not, the perception is not the same in Europe.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Because Americans have no class and will believe anyone telling them what's classy?

Real answer is that Japanese manufacturers did not have a very strong presence in the euro market in the 90s anyway so there was no way they'd be able to support launching all these brands. Even a civic was a sort of rare and awkward thing to have in the uk in the 90s

There’s all kinds of answers, from a e.g. German perspective:

Audi, Benz and BMW are common in Germany.
One reason is that company cars are a thing, and b2b leasing rates are reasonable for German manufacturers, because they protect their turf.
When I ran fleet for a $1B company, all sales reps had Passats, and all middle management upwards had a company car.
The way I designed the policy to optimize cost/talent retention, the lowest management tier could get a reasonably-optioned A4/A5 Sportsback without co-pay, and middle tier could get a 520 wagon without co-pay. For <€100/month co-pay, you could option out a ‘nicer’ Benz or BMW.
Japanese manufacturers weren’t even on the approved list, because their leasing wasn’t competitive, the service network was garbage, and people wanted German cars anyway.

We looked at offering e.g. Skoda in lieu of Passats, but VW told us bluntly that they’d rather improve their leasing offer on the Passat further, because VAG policy was to protect VW market share in Germany.

All of this means that a lot of people have access to VW+ tier German manufacturers for ~€200/month in taxes, as company cars are also taxed favorably to support this system.
And of course, this also means that there’s a sizable second-hand market.

The environment also means that there was no obvious gap for say Lexus to target in the 90s, or even since.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

fridge corn posted:

In today's free trade world most of us aren't old enough to remember that this weak presence was because of Voluntary Export Restraint agreements in order to protect domestic manufacturing. Japanese manufacturers could only sell a prescribed amount of cars in to certain markets, including the EC, UK and US through various agreements throughout the 80's and 90's.

1993 story: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rs-1452846.html

quote:

JAPANESE car imports into Britain are to be allowed to rise by 20 per cent this year to more than 200,000 in a move that could help force down prices of all manufacturers.

The increase, announced yesterday in Tokyo as part of an EC-wide agreement on Japanese car imports will allow Japanese-built models to take 12 per cent of the UK new car market.

quote:

A Monopolies and Mergers Commission report into the UK car market last year identified the Voluntary Restraint Agreement governing Japanese imports as the main reason for UK cars being overpriced.

The MMC said that the agreement, which ended in December, restricted competition and gave the Japanese less incentive to cut prices or import cheaper models.

1981 US VER (Wiki) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_export_restraint#1981_Automobile_VER

quote:

When the automobile industry in the United States was threatened by the popularity of cheaper, more fuel efficient Japanese cars, a 1981 voluntary restraint agreement limited the Japanese to exporting 1.68 million cars to the U.S. annually as stipulated by U.S Government.[10] This quota was originally intended to expire after three years, in April 1984. However, with a growing deficit in trade with Japan, and under pressure from domestic manufacturers, the US government extended the quotas for an additional year.[11] The cap was raised to 1.85 million cars for this additional year, then to 2.3 million for 1985. The voluntary restraint was removed in 1994.

quote:

The Japanese Big Three (Honda, Toyota, and Nissan) also began exporting bigger, more expensive cars (soon under their newly formed luxury brands like Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti - the luxury marques distanced themselves from its parent brand which was mass marketed) in order to make more money from a limited number of cars.

The effect of the voluntary export restraint was, that it raised the prices of the cars imported from Japan for about $1200, while reducing their sales. The Net effect on Japanese earnings was close to zero.[9]

This policy increased the US car sales and total revenue of the American car manufacturers by about $10 billion. The increase in earnings of the American companies was mainly paid for by the consumers in the US. By the imposition of this policy, they suffered the loss of around $13 billion (measured in 1983 dollars). The overall net welfare effect on the US economy was that the social welfare losses totalled $3 billion.

So, good for UK and US manufacturers, bad for consumers.

While Lexus has been successful, arguably off the back of the absolutely massive investment (only matched by what they spent developing the Prius) they made in building the original LS400 and the focus on reliability, Acura is a maybe (given they never bothered with it anywhere else) and Infiniti not so much. As a Nissan tragic I often wonder if the distraction and financial drain of Infiniti is part of Nissan's problem. Infiniti can't really compete with Lexus, but they make drat nice Nissan's back in the motherland. I drive a Nissan Fuga 450GT, the JDM version of the 2nd gen M45. Yeah it's not quite as well built as a GS450, but it's got more features and tech and a better chassis setup, and it's certainly not a piece of poo poo like the CVT equipped decontented slop Nissan mostly sells in the US.

Now to the Germans, put them in the same position. If you're only going to sell a certain number of vehicles in an export market (be it via trade restrictions or market forces), why bother selling poverty spec 318i's with cloth and wind up windows, when each one of those you sell is a fully loaded 750 you can't sell? Throw in some good marketing and you're away laughing. It's all about market positioning in whatever market you're in.

poo poo, there's a reason VW made the acquisitions they did to get where they are now. If you want "Euro quality" on a budget, buy a Skoda. Mid level VW, premium Audi, luxury Bentley, sport Porsche.

Edit: the poster above also makes an excellent point about the influence of the Euro company fleet market and the lengths manufacturers will go to. Hell on a much smaller scale, our govt uses diesel 7 series as govt limos. The pricing they gave the govt for only a tiny handful of cars would make public 7 series buyers cry into their unheated seats.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 14, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Proud Christian Mom posted:

American manufacturers reclaimed this market with tarted up trucks and SUVs. Hello, Escalade

Can’t wait for the glut of LT4s from wrecked Escalade-Vs. So many engines awaiting release from their ridiculous fauxmobiles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

Lexus started as a shameles copy of Mercedes. Very tryhard, and I think it has coloured the perception of all asian premium cars to this day. Why would you buy a blinged out Toyota, that tries to copy the Merc when you can just buy the real thing?

Also, the very popular myth in the US is that Japanese cars are very reliable and Euro cars are the opposite. True or not, the perception is not the same in Europe.

the original LS was an engineering marvel and Euros just have a higher tolerance for fastidious maintenance and also poo poo to loving break all the time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bad_fmr posted:

Styling perhaps, but any US domestic or European manufacturer straight up couldn't build the LS and everyone knew it. That's why it endures so hard. Mercedes especially fell asleep at the wheel, lobbied to put in place the 25 year import rule in the USA and then got their poo poo kicked in by Toyota investing in making a great car vs. lobbying. They were so afraid that they'd lose profit from people importing lower spec Mercs from Germany/Europe only to get slapped by a whole different import anyway.

:colbert:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What is the average number of miles traveled per year by a privately-owned passenger vehicle in its first five years in the US? Europe? Japan?

I would imagine that the number is the highest in the US given the way cities are "planned," the dearth of mass transit in most places, the enormous size of the country, and the lower fuel prices.

Do Europeans not care as much about the relative fragility of locally-manufactured cars because they just don't pile the miles on?

bad_fmr posted:

People bought the Lexus because its reliability and durability was far superior to the Euro offerings of the time. When Lexus launched the LS400 was also much less expensive than a comparably-equipped E-class or 5-series. Some rich people still like to get value for their money.

Japanese cars are more reliable than European models in the US and the service and parts networks of Japanese makers in the US are miles ahead of the Euro marques.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Per an old NHTS, 14k in Year 1 down to 12k in Year 6 for US vehicles, with a non-linear dropoff, so you figure roughly 65k miles over the first six years of ownership on average. Trucks and vans get driven more than cars.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SlowBloke posted:

Infiniti was introduced in eu with the g35 and it tanked stupendously, with 911 prices for that lead bathtub.

lmao was it really that bad that's insane. I even kinda like the G cars but they should be like 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a base 911.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

lmao was it really that bad that's insane. I even kinda like the G cars but they should be like 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a base 911.

yeah i feel like the original G35 was pretty good value at like, 85% of the price of a 3-series

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

Do Europeans not care as much about the relative fragility of locally-manufactured cars because they just don't pile the miles on?

Japanese cars are more reliable than European models in the US and the service and parts networks of Japanese makers in the US are miles ahead of the Euro marques.

Until the late nougts, buying local in Europe was the only way to get timely spares. Buying Japanese or god forbid Korean would mean spares would be there in months or being reamed by the dealer for expedite shipping.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the poor choice of Japanese cars in Europe is a bummer. You can certainly get a Yaris or a Z and I've got the beater Jazz of course but I don't think I've seen a new accord IRL yet.

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah having a car instead of just a scooter is already a signifier of something.

and now I guess to post the Skoda dance: https://youtu.be/PFZzmNojdoE

Lol holy poo poo that's a pro-click.

They even say taiwan #1 lmao.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen some ugly Toyota SUVs in France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

morothar posted:

There’s all kinds of answers, from a e.g. German perspective:

Audi, Benz and BMW are common in Germany.
One reason is that company cars are a thing, and b2b leasing rates are reasonable for German manufacturers, because they protect their turf.
When I ran fleet for a $1B company, all sales reps had Passats, and all middle management upwards had a company car.
The way I designed the policy to optimize cost/talent retention, the lowest management tier could get a reasonably-optioned A4/A5 Sportsback without co-pay, and middle tier could get a 520 wagon without co-pay. For <€100/month co-pay, you could option out a ‘nicer’ Benz or BMW.
Japanese manufacturers weren’t even on the approved list, because their leasing wasn’t competitive, the service network was garbage, and people wanted German cars anyway.

We looked at offering e.g. Skoda in lieu of Passats, but VW told us bluntly that they’d rather improve their leasing offer on the Passat further, because VAG policy was to protect VW market share in Germany.

All of this means that a lot of people have access to VW+ tier German manufacturers for ~€200/month in taxes, as company cars are also taxed favorably to support this system.
And of course, this also means that there’s a sizable second-hand market.

The environment also means that there was no obvious gap for say Lexus to target in the 90s, or even since.

I think this is a much more common benefit in Europe than it is in the US. It seems like it's fairly common for even lower/middle European management to have a car allowance. Presumably this is partly to offset lower salaries/higher taxes (is this benefit taxed?), and I'm sure there's a decent argument to be made for helping prop up a country's internal manufacturing base (ie, German/UK car manufacturers). Presumably the car allowance encourages workers to switch out cars more often than they would otherwise.

I'm also guessing a lot of the reason Lexus/Infiniti sell so poorly/don't sell in Europe is good, old-fashioned, racism.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 14, 2022