Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nopants
May 29, 2004

jackhunter64 posted:

With something to prove after flunking the NASA simulator and already insisting he could make the landing before Ed aborted, Danny is absolutely going to gently caress up a re-entry and get himself pasted across the surface of Mars before the end of the series.

he'll be saved by the north koreans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The fact that both NASA and Helios seem to have chosen landing sites near each other absolutely has to be leading towards something. A The Martian style trek where one of the missions has to go on a long-distance journey to help/be rescued by the other?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are some landing areas that are more likely than others just based on the science that would be doable there, but yeah I'm sure poo poo is going to go wrong on Mars and they'll have to help each other to survive.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'm fine with everything up to and including Margo getting her own national holiday in both Russia and the US in exchange for the immediate execution of Danny.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

The fact that both NASA and Helios seem to have chosen landing sites near each other absolutely has to be leading towards something. A The Martian style trek where one of the missions has to go on a long-distance journey to help/be rescued by the other?

I can see Ed dying to save his daughter's life yeah.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

kanonvandekempen posted:

I can see Ed dying to save his daughter's life yeah.

I can definitely see this happening. I can't imagine Ed Baldwin fits into the 2000 era as an astronaut, he's what, in his 50's in this era? They aren't gonna send a 60yr old diabetic to live on Mars or whatever. Joel Kinnaman is probably ready to move on to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I can definitely see this happening. I can't imagine Ed Baldwin fits into the 2000 era as an astronaut, he's what, in his 50's in this era? They aren't gonna send a 60yr old diabetic to live on Mars or whatever. Joel Kinnaman is probably ready to move on to.

Ed is in his 60's. When he was bumped from the '96 Mars mission he was telling Karen how the next opportunity in '98 would be when he was getting close to being 70.

Does anyone know how they did the occasional zero-G shots like Kelly floating through Sojourner? Did they go the Vomit Comet route or just wires?

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 14, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Ed is in his 60's. When he was bumped from the '96 Mars mission he was telling Karen how the next opportunity in '98 would be when he was getting close to being 70.

Does anyone know how they did the occasional zero-G shots like Kelly floating through Sojourner? Did they go the Vomit Comet route or just wires?

Wires. I worked on a production last year and they had about a 15 man stunt team to handle everything, because they are constantly doing the floating. You just knock out the top of whatever ship they are on, put a green screen behind it and fill it in during post.

It sure takes awhile, because we wrapped in April and it's now 15, poo poo 16 months really, and there isn't even a release date on the horizon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Senor Tron posted:

Wires, they talked about it on the podcast. Hanging on wires for twelve hours while trying to remember lines in Russian.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ShowTime posted:

Ed is gonna make it back to earth a hero and become president. From 1994 on every president will be a former astronaut.

I don't actually think this is going to happen but I'd laugh.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TIP posted:

Ed is gonna make it back to earth a hero and become president. From 1994 on every president will be a former astronaut.

It is kind of an idea, because instead of Ed saving Kelly, Danny does. Ed and Danny have their big tiff that was foreshadowed, Danny feels like poo poo and does the heroic thing his parents did in lieu of Ed doing it.

Ed going back and maybe leading NASA when Margot gets ousted was my other thinking, but he'd be such a bad director. It'll probably just be Aleida.

I am kind of looking forward to what they do in the next decade (I mean, the rest of this mission/era too). Not only are private companies taking off into space, so many other nations are gonna be entering space. The big ones like China too. And it's definitely gonna be about basing/colonizing Mars, maybe by first setting up a big station outside Mars orbit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hope ED smashes Danny’s visor with a rock on the surface of mars and we get to see Danny’s eyes bulge out like in total recall.

gently caress Danny.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Was going to say I am enjoying the last season of Better Call Saul but slightly preferred FAM for the fast paced adventure, but with the newest ep of Saul they're neck & neck again. Definitely best stuff putting out new content at the moment.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea it's really surprising that Apple TV is putting out great content, but i've enjoyed everything i've watched and haven't even watched some of the bigger, well reviewed things. See was what got me to start watching, CODA and Ted Lasso kept me watching and now For All Mankind is keeping me going.

Edit: And now just checking something, I See that it's getting a 3rd, final season, which I didn't think was coming.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

Is Ellen in her first or second term? I forget. I could kind of imagine her secret coming out and her current bible thumper leaving the ticket and hero Ed fresh back from Mars (or maybe still long-distance) being the Hail Mary choice to keep her in office. President Ed would be kind of boring but President Ed being still on Mars if Ellen has to leave office would be kind of hilarious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The aborted Mars landing should be about the tradeoffs between human and automated piloting. Like, given how automated the whole ship was, there’s no reason why they wouldn’t have automated the actual landing. That would provoke some meaningful discussion about whether Ed did the right thing by wresting control of the ship.

But instead it looks like they’re just going for an echo of the Apollo 10 landing plus some boring character drama between Danny and Ed. I sometimes wish this show would think bigger.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Pretty sure Ellen is in her 1st term, but elections are coming up. It would have been a what, 92-96 and a 96-00 term? The pushed the launch date up to 96 and we are starting to hear about the reelection. I can't imagine how Ellen's secret would get out and how Ed would make it back in time to make it onto the ticket. But if the dates are a little off, it could certainly be a possibility.

Did they ever mention how long they'd spend on Mars? I can't imagine they'd fly that way with the intent to just leave after a few weeks. Far more likely they plan on being there for many, many months.

I think it's far more likely that Ellen loses and maybe comes back as Mars director, or just, disappears. Or she somehow wins and in Season 4 we get a Bill Clinton parallel in her second term where she is caught with an intern or something.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Is Ellen in her first or second term? I forget. I could kind of imagine her secret coming out and her current bible thumper leaving the ticket and hero Ed fresh back from Mars (or maybe still long-distance) being the Hail Mary choice to keep her in office. President Ed would be kind of boring but President Ed being still on Mars if Ellen has to leave office would be kind of hilarious.

VP Ed is a funny idea but I don't know if he could handle being so powerless. I'm just imagining him in Veep episodes instead of Julia Louis Dreyfus and laughing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ShowTime posted:

Pretty sure Ellen is in her 1st term, but elections are coming up. It would have been a what, 92-96 and a 96-00 term? The pushed the launch date up to 96 and we are starting to hear about the reelection. I can't imagine how Ellen's secret would get out and how Ed would make it back in time to make it onto the ticket. But if the dates are a little off, it could certainly be a possibility.

There's no rule against campaigning from Mars. :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yous are thinking too small: Ed declares himself President of Mars, and breaks away from Earth.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I'm on s3e2. Really enjoying every aspect of this show (with small exceptions such as Reagan is a nice person etc etc America's not evil blah blah blah). I think one thing I like the most is how there is a nuanced difference in the writing of the drama moments of the show. I wish I had a scene in mind, when I find one I'll post it, but maybe it can be described as letting some of the moments hang longer than in most other lovely dramas. When something tender happens they just let the scene live for a second instead of moving on to a score blasting in your ears telling you how to feel, or cutting to some dramatic event at the most fortuitous second. I think we all know the common syntax of TV dramas and I find myself expecting, predicting, assuming what will happen next due to that syntax and I'm so pleasantly surprised when I'm wrong.

And in my mind the characters seem to make sense for the most part. When Karen hosed Danny I was expecting her to tell Ed in some big dramatic moment how awful he was and how she couldn't take him going to space anyway etc but she just kind of spoke. And he reacted how "normally". Lots of those moments in the show where they don't take the bait, the easy way out into a big dramatic crescendo, they just let it hang and it's really nice.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 14, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

Original launch date was 96 but Helios forced them to go in 94 so that’s where the show is presently, right in the middle of Ellen’s first term.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That makes sense, I was thinking it was 98, pushed to 96. Then President/VP Ed could be a thing if they make it back in time. It could actually be Ellen's ticket into a 2nd term if she loses this current VP for whatever reason, including being outed.

or...

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yous are thinking too small: Ed declares himself President of Mars, and breaks away from Earth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vegetable posted:

The aborted Mars landing should be about the tradeoffs between human and automated piloting. Like, given how automated the whole ship was, there’s no reason why they wouldn’t have automated the actual landing. That would provoke some meaningful discussion about whether Ed did the right thing by wresting control of the ship.

But instead it looks like they’re just going for an echo of the Apollo 10 landing plus some boring character drama between Danny and Ed. I sometimes wish this show would think bigger.

The original moon landings were automated too. Neil Armstrong only took control because the original landing site was covered in boulders.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I think it's far more likely that Ellen loses and maybe comes back as Mars director, or just, disappears. Or she somehow wins and in Season 4 we get a Bill Clinton parallel in her second term where she is caught with an intern or something.

Caught being gay would be an easy one to tee up. And funny because the one person she's supposed the be having sex with is her subordinate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ShowTime posted:

Yea it's really surprising that Apple TV is putting out great content, but i've enjoyed everything i've watched and haven't even watched some of the bigger, well reviewed things. See was what got me to start watching, CODA and Ted Lasso kept me watching and now For All Mankind is keeping me going.

Edit: And now just checking something, I See that it's getting a 3rd, final season, which I didn't think was coming.

Watch Severance if you haven't already.

TIP posted:

VP Ed is a funny idea but I don't know if he could handle being so powerless. I'm just imagining him in Veep episodes instead of Julia Louis Dreyfus and laughing.

I never realized I wanted Veep Ed until your post.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 14, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spacebump posted:

Watch Severance if you haven't already.

I never realized I wanted Veep Ed until your post.

Oh god, Danny is Jonah.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Severance is on my list, even though I started the 1st episode and couldn't really get into it. But it's gotten crazy reviews from my friends. Like I said, consistently surprised with what Apple is doing, because I never expected it. I do hope Adam Scott wins that Emmy, because i'm a fan, but I haven't seen the show yet to say whether it's deserved. I was excited for Foundation and it has it's moments, but I thought it was pretty bad.

But that's enough for the non FAM talk. Everyone here obviously has it and don't need to be told how good it is.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Caught being gay would be an easy one to tee up. And funny because the one person she's supposed the be having sex with is her subordinate.

Either she or the husband have to be caught, otherwise I don't see her coming out. Saying that, she almost did at one point, right?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Vegetable posted:

It looked like they were automated until they got an alarm and Danny said, "I've lost altitude info. The altimeter can't see through the dust. We're not going to know how close we are to the ground." Then Ed switched to manual control.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lmao DoorDash Ed on Mars

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So are gays the new cylons?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not started this episode yet but I just remembered the ending to last week’s and laughed real hard out loud all over again

Also yes I really highly recommend Severance to everyone. This is still my current favourite Apple show, but if that keeps up its quality over multiple seasons it’ll absolutely top it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ed for president of Mars 1996.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Jesus christ

Swelling music for Don't Ask Don't Tell

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bradford's actor has great what the gently caress are you talking about face.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Ed and Danielle saying Hi Bob to each other on Mars :glomp:

Edit - Well that was a bleak ending

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 15, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Grand Fromage posted:

Bradford's actor has great what the gently caress are you talking about face.

When 90% of the time that's all you are on screen for you best practice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

apatheticman posted:

Jesus christ

Swelling music for Don't Ask Don't Tell

This was more West Wing than the most sickening moments in the West Wing.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

mr. unhsib posted:

Ed and Danielle saying Hi Bob to each other on Mars :glomp:

Great moment. Looks like Ed made the right call. Losing the Sojourner is a sort of a catastrophe. Not sure it's worth being first. Also Danny is now doing speedballs on Mars while his hand goes gangrene .

Killer episode. Perfect balance of Earth/Mars drama and some unexpected twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ed showing up in blue power armour looking like a space marine.