Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If we have rolling blackouts all summer because of conservative energy policies, on the back of a Greg Abbott Guarantee that the lights would stay on, we'll get a pretty definitive conclusion as to if electoral outcomes are completely delinked from material reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

jokes posted:

Texas legislature: “Joe Biden did this”

It's not a funny joke, because the average republican will hear that, and be like, "I Knew It!".
It's a sobering, if not outright depressing joke.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The aristocrats!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/joshdr83/status/1546508037506179072

We are not quite into EEA1

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zoux posted:

If we have rolling blackouts all summer because of conservative energy policies, on the back of a Greg Abbott Guarantee that the lights would stay on, we'll get a pretty definitive conclusion as to if electoral outcomes are completely delinked from material reality.

I mean, you know in your heart that is what is going to happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes but I'm also open to the possibility and indeed hoping that I'm wrong.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Yes but I'm also open to the possibility and indeed hoping that I'm wrong.

oh no

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's true, I'm never wrong. It bodes ill.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux is robin williams at the dinner table scene in hook, the beto campaign are the lost boys, and the food rightfully never appears

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m Rufio

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drat, north of $5k again. They should raise that pesky cap from $9k to more like $12k, just to be safe.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

CRT in are schools caused the Biden-Beto Blackouts

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I’m Rufio

You're a near sighted gynaecologist? AND a substitute math teacher?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I think we're gonna make it today but I'm not going to enjoy white knuckling this every day until september. Fix your dumbass polluting plants, oil and gas industry.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Well I think we're gonna make it today but I'm not going to enjoy white knuckling this every day until september. Fix your dumbass polluting plants, oil and gas industry.

Why bother when they can just reap massive profits of instability?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If they let the grid fail then they can do their upgrades and maintenance on the taxpayers' dime

But if it fails then the political landscape becomes less favorable

In economics they call this the Midland Problem

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean isn’t this exactly what happened in California when they were tricked into dereg

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zoux posted:

I mean isn’t this exactly what happened in California when they were tricked into dereg

Yeah and the same people currently mad about windmills are still talking about the rolling blackouts in Cali caused by leftist perfidy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Are those different blackouts than the ones caused by Enron?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
PG&E pled poverty as to why they couldn't do maintenance while simultaneously spending billions on dividends

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 13, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We ran out of money giving ourselves money :(

Can we have some money?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We did it yall

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

We did it yall

So variable rate customers are about to get boned again like they did during the ice storm?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

That's the entire point of deregulation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Individuals won't because individuals aren't allowed to purchase variable rate plans anymore.

Everyone else who is on the wholesale market is well aware of the risk exposure by now so I wouldn't say anyone got "boned" except Texas consumers who live in this terrible deregulated system - but that's every day. There are absolutely summer days every year where consumers are paying (what are now) max prices. Also during the winter storm the price was pegged at a cap of $9k/kwh for 32 hours, today it was at a cap of $5k/kwh for about three hours.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like capping the price just means “this is the price now”

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Fixed rate people get boned too, it just takes longer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

Fixed rate people get boned too, it just takes longer.

Right but we've been getting boned since 1999, poo poo like this happens every year, it's just now people are paying close attention to the electric grid for the first time and are like hmmm hang on now. Like I said, ERCOT has issued 50 conservation notices and required load shed four times since 2008, you can bet that prices were at the cap during those events. It probably happened more often than that, but idk how to go look at annual historical data of daily electric prices.

e: the point I' making is, this kind of loving happens all the time, Uri was a loving of unprecedented scope

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 14, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I feel like we should take up a calendar pool and bet on the next date ERCOT will ask for Texans to conserve energy.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Shooting Blanks posted:

I feel like we should take up a calendar pool and bet on the next date ERCOT will ask for Texans to conserve energy.

Tomorrow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I decline to enter the office pool

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think it'd be harder to bet on which days they don't ask to conserve.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Every day temp goes above 100

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

jokes posted:

Every day temp goes above 100

*doc brown voice* thermometers? where we’re going … we don’t need thermometers

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cael posted:

*doc brown voice* thermometers? where we’re going … we don’t need thermometers

Wow doc, that's heavy hot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasSierraClub/status/1547598514493853701

https://twitter.com/douglewinenergy/status/1547596250786123776

Wow! Also, they didn't say a word about why all that thermal was offline.

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1547580386422665217

Welp

Crime is a huge issue in Harris Co and she's fighting the GOP and Kim Ogg on that front. Idk what the right answer for bail reform is but bottom line is several people have been killed by people jailed for violent offences released on PR bonds or really low bail amounts. That'll kill you in a political ad. Whether or not it's true, tons of people in Houston blame the increase in violent crime on progressive CJ reform implemented at the county level. I think it's probably more *gestures broadly at the state of American society today* but when this poo poo happens on your watch, you get the blame whether you deserve it or not.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 14, 2022

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/SIfill_/status/1547648534953857027

TX Republicans: “in case we haven’t been clear enough, we do, in fact, want you to drop dead rather than getting a medically-necessary abortion”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1547659138657685514

Forty loving billion surplus, a transformative amount of money, the vast majority of which will go to property tax relief that will shave dozens of dollars off your bill in 2025. Oh no, I'll be having the soup and salad tonight, garçon

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

I'm letting this one guy off the hook, I guess:

https://twitter.com/moodyforelpaso/status/1547291849555165184

gently caress him and his punisher bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So who's winning Democratic Party Chair this weekend, anybody got any thoughts. I'm kind of a Kim Olson fan.