Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/1547379037881917440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ItohRespectArmy posted:

my rookie of the year is hiroshi tanahashi

Mine is Okada. The Rainmaker gimmick seems to have promise, and even though he's only been on one Dynamite and one PPV, he went straight into the main event. When the head booker sees that much promise in you, we have to take notice.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I looked it up and Takeshita already finished 2nd place in ROY voting in 2013, narrowly losing to YOH:

quote:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. Yohei Komatsu (58) 906
2. Konosuke Takeshita (118) 902
3. U-T (146) 879
4. Sho Tanaka (86) 769
5. Enzo Amore (47) 361
6. Charlotte (17) 352
7. Mojo Rawley (33) 306
8. Ryotsu Shimizu (4) 301
9. Hitoshi Kumano (22) 185
10. Andrew Everett (11) 112

We were 5 votes away from campaigning for him to win it twice :sickos:

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

One of the few old guys I'm pretty confident is writing his own dogshit tweets.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Benne posted:

I looked it up and Takeshita already finished 2nd place in ROY voting in 2013, narrowly losing to YOH:

We were 5 votes away from campaigning for him to win it twice :sickos:

Enzo Amore topping Charlotte is horrifying.

Also lol that YOH won it five places ahead of SHO going to show that rookie years may not indicate future talent even amongst contemporaries in the same ecosystem.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fsmhunk posted:

One of the few old guys I'm pretty confident is writing his own dogshit tweets.

Also at this point we could easily make the argument that Jericho is a bigger legend than Flair. Flair back in his day was insane, but then he stuck around for a few decades too long and it got super sad, and then he stuck around for a few decades more and now he's just mostly a reviled sex pest.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eh, prior to him being outed as an absolute shitbag and it turning out his act was one note as gently caress after the first year or so, I’d rather have heard Enzo talk than watched Charlotte wrestle.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bad take is the quoted tweet

https://twitter.com/730Logan/status/1547429222897025029

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tony Khan is too small to hug Keith Lee it would look more like he was desperately clinging to some kind of massive boulder

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

i went and checked and i think this was a joke that landed badly because of Poe's Law

https://twitter.com/SavageEtika/status/1541650064317218816

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lid posted:

Enzo Amore topping Charlotte is horrifying.
Rookie of the Year stuff is always weird in hindsight but both Enzo and Charlotte had a minimal number of "televised" wrestling matches by the end of 2013 (8 for Enzo, 5 for Charlotte) and neither had wrestled outside of Florida. NXT was not on the WWE Network yet because the WWE Network did not exist until 2014, though I think it was streaming on WWE.com? Outside of people living in Florida/working in WWE, you'd probably be basing those votes on "Charlotte is Ric Flair's daughter" and "Enzo cut a funny promo that was on YouTube"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean the Observer rookie of the year award has flaws but it has a much better track record than the best new artist grammy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean the Observer rookie of the year award has flaws but it has a much better track record than the best new artist grammy

True but that's because given Grammy's definition of new artist Takeshita would be a rookie. When Bon Iver won it in 2012 five years after For Emma, Forever Ago or when they nominated Kendrick in 2014 after a decade in the business.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

i went and checked and i think this was a joke that landed badly because of Poe's Law

https://twitter.com/SavageEtika/status/1541650064317218816

Sarcasm is always a double edged sword.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love people freaking out that Tony is so happy his guys had a great match.

Meanwhile Vince is looking down someone's blouse and mentally calculating how much this one costs.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Edge & Christian posted:

Rookie of the Year stuff is always weird in hindsight but both Enzo and Charlotte had a minimal number of "televised" wrestling matches by the end of 2013 (8 for Enzo, 5 for Charlotte) and neither had wrestled outside of Florida. NXT was not on the WWE Network yet because the WWE Network did not exist until 2014, though I think it was streaming on WWE.com? Outside of people living in Florida/working in WWE, you'd probably be basing those votes on "Charlotte is Ric Flair's daughter" and "Enzo cut a funny promo that was on YouTube"

NXT was on Hulu at the time and definitely had its dedicated viewers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

It wasn't live, but NXT was airing on Hulu in the US starting 2012 (as I recall, it would go up at the same time every week so you could livewatch new episodes with your internet pals if you wanted), while being on broadcast or cable abroad, so it was certainly available to the kinds of people voting on rookie of the year.

That said, picking a minor leaguer for rookie of the year is still strange!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Benne posted:

NXT was on Hulu at the time and definitely had its dedicated viewers
Oh weird, I knew the No Longer a Competition Show NXT aired on Hulu but for some reason I thought the first several months of Developmental NXT was like WWE.com exclusive/hidden until the Network launched/they did the Arrival Premium Live Event. I watched neither, though I also am not an Observer voter.

Based on the rules of the awards "Rookie of the Year is open to only pro wrestlers making a major promotion professional debut" which can do a lot of work in both good and bad faith, but definitely includes NXT and more prominent indies.

NXT wrestlers who got more first place votes than Enzo in subsequent years:
Alexa Bliss (55 in 2014)
Chad Gable (539 in 2015, winner)
Dana Brooke (51 in 2015)

From 2017 on it's a Category B award so everyone only votes for one person, plus NXT turned into Indie Star central for a long time, so the only high ranking NXT ROTYs of recent vintage are Bianca Belair (112 votes, third behind Kitamura and Microman) and Pat McAffee (won in 2020). Nick Wayne placed fourth last year, who knows if he'll get votes again this year. The whole thing is pretty loosey-goosey, Marko Stunt placed in both 2018 and 2019, Matt Riddle won in 2016 after placing in 2015, etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 14, 2022

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even with ROY being a weird and vague caterogy, there is zero legitimate argument for Takeshita, who has over 900 career matches, has been wrestling in major-league promotions for 10 years, and headlined Sumo Hall multiple times. It's not some podunk indie guy finally getting his TV break.

This whole thing is just Cheese Board Guy being dumb as usual and then doubling down.

Benne fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 14, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Oh the Takeshita suggestion is absolutely dumb as poo poo, I was more commenting on Enzo getting votes nine years ago/"minor league" wrestlers getting nominations/the general weirdness of the category.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's still wild to me that he gets the fast nationals leaked to him by WWE. He's an absolute nobody in the grand scheme of things, you'd think they'd at least use Ryan Satin or something to send those things out.

They used Zarian until he got pushback (and presumably, pushed back).

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
This is a real question, if someone plays in the KBO for like 4 seasons, then goes to the MLB aren't they a rookie for their first season there?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah but its the mlb rookie of the year, not baseball rookie of the year

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This is a real question, if someone plays in the KBO for like 4 seasons, then goes to the MLB aren't they a rookie for their first season there?

Ichiro Suzuki won the 2001 ROY, made his rookie season in Japan was 1992 and had almost 1300 hits in 950 games before he came over.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Tony Khan is too small to hug Keith Lee it would look more like he was desperately clinging to some kind of massive boulder

Chiaotzu Vs Nappa

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I gotta say, "Lee/Swerve winning the titles actually proves that Tony is even more racist" is not a take I expected. The idiots on Twitter are still able to impress me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PotatoJudge posted:

Ichiro Suzuki won the 2001 ROY, made his rookie season in Japan was 1992 and had almost 1300 hits in 950 games before he came over.

The guys who win the MLB are also called the "World Champions of Baseball" despite it being a national league so I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1547401191381942274?t=ruSBa7ppCMkwibhxPQxOzQ&s=19

Wouldn't usually post from the gimmick accounts but this is so beyond the pale and talking about themselves it's insane.

You just know that if Team Taz had won, Jobber would be claiming Starks isn't really black.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

yea ok posted:

yeah but its the mlb rookie of the year, not baseball rookie of the year

Based on the answers I'm seeing is my Cinnibon King needs to be crowned AEW ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

You just know that if Team Taz had won, Jobber would be claiming Starks isn't really black.

You don’t have to put extra racist words in the mouths of twitter morons, let them do that for themselves.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Fish Of Doom posted:

I gotta say, "Lee/Swerve winning the titles actually proves that Tony is even more racist" is not a take I expected. The idiots on Twitter are still able to impress me.

It would be so much easier for them to just not talk about it. Hell they could just not talk about AEW at all since it's the worst thing that's ever happened to them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do wonder what the Hell these folks talked about before 2019.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Maxwell Lord posted:

All the same poo poo, just about New Japan.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

History Comes Inside! posted:

You don’t have to put extra racist words in the mouths of twitter morons, let them do that for themselves.

This is something those idiots have actually said before, to the point where Starks got pissed and commented on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1547687453237993472

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1537428360187547649

The Lucc

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The watermark is at a slightly different angle.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Maxwell Lord posted:

It was "Why doesn't NJPW have women's wrestling"

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RickyFreezer/status/1547467850805350400

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Based on the answers I'm seeing is my Cinnibon King needs to be crowned AEW ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

AEW Rookie of the year by any metric would be CM Punk.