Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The cap is gonna jump like 10 million that summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

MacDermid, Reaves, Deslauriers are all kind of whatever to me. The regular season is long and you think you need a tough guy to soak up some minutes. Okay, sure, fine. The real insanity is trading a 3rd round pick at the deadline for him, and then playing him in the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The cap is gonna jump like 10 million that summer.

If it does Guentzel may get the biggest free agent contract ever, every team in the league will be lining up for a perennial 40 goal scorer who dominates in the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see whether he takes a discount to stay in Pittsburgh, but given the way the team must inevitably go 2+ years down the road it honestly doesn't make any sense. He might as well go get megapaid.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

Except reports suggest Jersey was the high bidder.

I thought I saw someone calculate out the take-home pay on the rumoured contract offers, and found that the Columbus deal resulted in the highest after-tax amount (other than Calgary's, which had similar per-year totals with one extra year).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If it does Guentzel may get the biggest free agent contract ever, every team in the league will be lining up for a perennial 40 goal scorer who dominates in the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see whether he takes a discount to stay in Pittsburgh, but given the way the team must inevitably go 2+ years down the road it honestly doesn't make any sense. He might as well go get megapaid.

Mr. Auston Matthews is a free agent that summer and is going to get paid even more.

Also free agents: Aho, Nylander, Reinhart, Scheifele, Lindholm

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Playing for Columbus qualifies as a charitable donation so he saves even more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

They let go of Hagg and Ghost for Expensive Hagg and Racist Ghost.

This one made me lol.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Simplex posted:

MacDermid, Reaves, Deslauriers are all kind of whatever to me. The regular season is long and you think you need a tough guy to soak up some minutes. Okay, sure, fine. The real insanity is trading a 3rd round pick at the deadline for him, and then playing him in the playoffs.
it's the 4x2 for Deslauries that gets me. Yeah great, you want some 4th line punch, maybe some PK, but 4 years for a guy who by some metrics is arguably the worst player in the league just doesn't make any sense

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mr. Auston Matthews is a free agent that summer and is going to get paid even more.

Also free agents: Aho, Nylander, Reinhart, Scheifele, Lindholm

Yeah I'm kind of assuming Matthews won't hit the market

Aho is probably a better player than Guentzel and also younger but I'm not actually sure he'd get paid more due to Playoff Pedigree and all that poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Guys, I had this weird dream last night where an elite NHL player voluntarily signed with the Columbus Blue Jackets. If only such a thing were--I'm sorry, what?

It just comes down to if their more than $9M was "more than $9.75M".

https://theathletic.com/3422168/2022/07/13/johnny-gaudreau-blue-jackets-contract/?source=emp_shared_article

I don't understand not wanting to spend 10MM on Johnny and then giving Palat 6. Fitz might just be a moron.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ottawa fans tell me about Connor Brown. He looks ok but Washington needs better than ok players to compete next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

it's the 4x2 for Deslauries that gets me. Yeah great, you want some 4th line punch, maybe some PK, but 4 years for a guy who by some metrics is arguably the worst player in the league just doesn't make any sense

Haven’t you ever seen the Mighty Ducks 2 ?

You get your Deslauries, you get your Zach McEwen, now you have to bash brothers to protect you when you play big bad Team Iceland.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand not wanting to spend 10MM on Johnny and then giving Palat 6. Fitz might just be a moron.

Johnny probably grew up hating the Devils so it's also possible he was just using them to goose the market and never had any intention of signing with them.

Still really dumb to sign Palat to a way too big contract just because you got stood up and already made up your mind you're gonna hook up with somebody tonight

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Johnny probably grew up hating the Devils so it's also possible he was just using them to goose the market and never had any intention of signing with them.

Still really dumb to sign Palat to a way too big contract just because you got stood up and already made up your mind you're gonna hook up with somebody tonight

I think Palat is a good player for the Devils to have. He's a guy who has actually won poo poo unlike anyone else on the team and he will bring some much needed toughness but that AAV is so loving high...........

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Moving Marino or MP to beef up the top six a little isn't a terrible idea, though I am skeptical that Rutta will be a sufficient replacement. But if they added a top six winger via that route their depth would be pretty insanely good. You'd have Zucker on the third line at that point which is a nice luxury.

I could see something like Marino or MP with Zucker moved and 2 middle 6ers coming back or a 2nd liner and ? Rutta either fits with Matheson and they do fun things with Pettersson/Ruhwedel being the 3rd pairing. If it's MP moved PoJ can probably slot in on the left side with either Rutta or Marino being the partner. Of course I think the most likely outcome is Hextall does nothing for now and sees how things shake out when the season starts.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

lmao why would you hire a coach that can't cross the border
Enh, for Philly that's what, like, 8 games all year? I don't think the absence of Noted Genius Rocky Thompson will make that much of a difference.

It would be an issue if Philly made the playoffs and got matched with a Canadian team, but lol.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I'm kind of assuming Matthews won't hit the market

Aho is probably a better player than Guentzel and also younger but I'm not actually sure he'd get paid more due to Playoff Pedigree and all that poo poo.

It'll be interesting to see if we get many early extensions that year or if everyone will wait until the numbers are actually out and we'll see a flurry of extensions in the last couple weeks before FA rather than all the prime guys dropping off early.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Mind_Taker posted:

Ottawa fans tell me about Connor Brown. He looks ok but Washington needs better than ok players to compete next year.

Fast, good forechecker, unbelievable PKer. Will have a ton of breakaways and not a lot of goals, ideally a bottom 6 player but can slide up in the lineup and not look out of place.

It sucks that he publicly said he wanted to test free agency PLD-style, but getting him for a 2024 2nd was a nice deal for the Caps. It also lets Mathieu Joseph slide into the third line RW spot and frees up number 28 for Claude

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Mind_Taker posted:

He is the ok-est top-6 player in the NHL.

Scores 50 points a year regardless of his linemates, can play up or down the lineup, very good penalty killer (and SHG threat), defensively responsible, good transition player and forechecker, never seems to take a game off, good skater. Not a great shooter, but he gets by.

Honestly, a 2nd for him was a steal. I expected him to be headed out the door in a deal for a top 4 defenceman. Between him and Nick Paul, I thought he was the better player.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

there is honest to god no reason for me to watch a single flyers game for the next 3 years at minimum

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Connor Brown a lot. Middle 6 guy who can slide up or down the lineup (though not stick to the top obviously) and just plays good hard hockey. Reminds me of a lot of the non-pizza line roster Ottawa had in the heydays of our finals run.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Caps also just extended Brown.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Guys like Connor Brown are the reason I hate the salary cap. Dude should be a Leaf folk hero instead of a cap casualty. Stars moving and getting paid is cool, but the middle of the lineup fan favourites getting priced out of their original teams sucks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers signed Ryan Carpenter to a league min 1 year deal

I hear he’s loving terrible but at worst he’s 4th line center and best he’s buried in Hartford and someone else gets that spot

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Guys like Connor Brown are the reason I hate the salary cap. Dude should be a Leaf folk hero instead of a cap casualty. Stars moving and getting paid is cool, but the middle of the lineup fan favourites getting priced out of their original teams sucks.

The Sens definitely had the money to sign him, they didn't want to.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Palat owns. Don't know if he's work $6aav but I love the guy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

there is honest to god no reason for me to watch a single flyers game for the next 3 years at minimum

We really should've known that the Flyer's aggressive retool would end up being a disaster. After all, Philly don't do rebounds.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

bub spank posted:

He is the ok-est top-6 player in the NHL.

Scores 50 points a year regardless of his linemates, can play up or down the lineup, very good penalty killer (and SHG threat), defensively responsible, good transition player and forechecker, never seems to take a game off, good skater. Not a great shooter, but he gets by.

Sounds like a bizarro Anthony Mantha. (Great finishing, not very good on forecheck, only really tried in the playoffs.)

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 14, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I see that Florida picked up Rudolfs Balcers who San Jose cut for... no particular reason at all. That's kind of an interesting dynamic when the Stanley cup contender team is signing the dude that the bottom 5 club cut from their roster..

Florida's made a couple understated but really solid depth forward pick ups in Nick Cousins and Balcers, and they have a few interesting reclamation projects with Colin White and the Staal brothers. They are 3 mill over the cap atm though so they might have to do a Vegas style dump at some point? unless someone is heading to the IR I don't know about.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Connor Brown, Colin White and Nick Paul all seem like guys a playoff team would probably want to have on their roster.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

ThinkTank posted:

We really should've known that the Flyer's aggressive retool would end up being a disaster. After all, Philly don't do rebounds.
:golfclap:

Man the Flyers could have done so much to right the ship this off-season.

Instead we have the Titanic, a hard to play against Titantic

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Starsfan posted:

I see that Florida picked up Rudolfs Balcers who San Jose cut for... no particular reason at all. That's kind of an interesting dynamic when the Stanley cup contender team is signing the dude that the bottom 5 club cut from their roster..

Florida's made a couple understated but really solid depth forward pick ups in Nick Cousins and Balcers, and they have a few interesting reclamation projects with Colin White and the Staal brothers. They are 3 mill over the cap atm though so they might have to do a Vegas style dump at some point? unless someone is heading to the IR I don't know about.

Gonna make room when Weegar gets traded home this summer

But I agree, Balcers at $1mil is a no-risk move. Florida realized the hard way that depth matters in the playoffs when you can’t score 4 a game, and it looks like they are addressing it the best they can with Bobrovsky’s $10mil on their books

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Thanks for the Connor Brown breakdown.

Seems like a good deal! Washington still needs a center though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1547619772774305793

Paging all Flames fans!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gotta respect a guy who shows up to his first day of work in flip flops.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Paging all Flames fans!!!

how are they taking this?

.. it's bad isn't it.. have the death threats been reported on yet?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Starsfan posted:

It wouldn't be the first time a Flames fan has called in a death threat against a CBJ player, at least.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

So.... is it just because Gaudreau grew up hating the Devils? Or perhaps they refused to include a full NMC where Columbus agreed to it, or somesuch.

e: I think I misread and Columbus was in fact the high bidder, or at least equal with NJ

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1547416300351365121?t=s0CSfX0zWIVtothGjAHpkQ&s=19

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Starsfan posted:

It’s probably the single worst day in franchise history, so yes, it’s going to be bad.

Having a star player choose to play for your franchise makes a major positive impact - other players see that and think that your team and city must be a great place to be, and suddenly, free agents start considering your team, players remove your team from their no-trade lists, etc. What impact do you think Johnny Gaudreau essentially telling the world that he was so desperate to get out of Calgary that he would take $15 million less over his next contract just to leave will have on the Flames?

The Flames are about to be a non-factor for at least the next five years (if we’re lucky), have a majority owner with no ties to the city or country anymore, and have a decrepit arena with no replacement in sight. Once other good players start leaving and fan support starts dwindling, I wouldn’t be shocked to start hearing rumblings about Houston or Kansas City.

St. Dogbert fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ideally the Flames would cease to exist