Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game is very much intended as a fandisk for three houses, its absolutely written assuming you already have knowledge of it. despite it technically not taking place after the first game i would 100% call it a sequel, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Endorph posted:

the game is very much intended as a fandisk for three houses, its absolutely written assuming you already have knowledge of it. despite it technically not taking place after the first game i would 100% call it a sequel, yeah.

While I wouldn't - since it's a different genre. I more took it as a spin off?
I guess it depends on how it's marketed.

Like I'm glad I get to mess about with my fire emblem buddies but my friend who only plays warriors games is going "What" for 90% of it

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's very comparable to Persona 5 Strikers, both in being a Warriors-style spinoff/sequel and essentially being written and paced as extended bonus content for people who just want to hang out more with this setting and these characters. If you go into it with that attitude, I think it works pretty well.

You definitely need to fall into the overlap of Warriors and Three Houses fan, though. My girlfriend beat every route of Three Houses but bounced off the Three Hopes demo over the gameplay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Strikers is a slightly different case where it's clear that it takes place after a whole game, while Three Hopes semi-tricks you into thinking it's a regular story start but suddenly you skip about 10 chapters worth of build up to the characters.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"Tricks you" feels a little strong, the people who didn't know Three Hopes was a follow-up to Three Houses or who expected it to ease them in like a stand-alone title anyway seem like a pretty small cohort - I didn't play the Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, but was it also dependent on knowing the characters from Breath of the Wild?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dolash posted:

"Tricks you" feels a little strong, the people who didn't know Three Hopes was a follow-up to Three Houses or who expected it to ease them in like a stand-alone title anyway seem like a pretty small cohort - I didn't play the Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, but was it also dependent on knowing the characters from Breath of the Wild?

Eh, kind of? The characters in Breath of the Wild outside of Zelda are deliberately pretty thinly sketched.

Also its a time travel plot where the bulk of the game takes place 100 years before Breath of the Wild proper and deals with a lot of characters who are dead in Breath of the Wild.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I got an inverted tome that has Invert Physical/Magic. It’s… useless. :downsbravo:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the obverted tome... the rarest of all relics

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

must be a heavy book

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
been sticking with people in their preferred classes, but now they're mastering their main line I've started to branch out

mortal savant lysithea is as mad as I was promised. Gonna put Hubert into Brawler and slap some Aura Knuckles on him too I think

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

E-flat posted:

I got an inverted tome that has Invert Physical/Magic. It’s… useless. :downsbravo:

It's good, actually for the specific purpose of training high STR units in magic classes to unlock skills.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

It's good, actually for the specific purpose of training high STR units in magic classes to unlock skills.

And vice versa, there are normally-physical weapons that scale off the MAG stat for if you ever want to turn one of your mages into some kind of fighter.

The trick is to read your weapon's substats to make sure you are not equipping one of these weapons by mistake, which certainly i have never done, and i cannot fathom the mind of the fool who would

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

been sticking with people in their preferred classes, but now they're mastering their main line I've started to branch out

mortal savant lysithea is as mad as I was promised. Gonna put Hubert into Brawler and slap some Aura Knuckles on him too I think

IMO Hubert's best class is the Dark Knight using an Arrow of Indra. Really strong, and it also really just suits his whole vibe.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wish I liked playing Hapi more than I do. I feel like I can never get really good use of her unique ability against commanders and it feels like there are characters who can do what she does better and with less set-up.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Clawtopsy posted:

Wait, wouldn't a book with both brawnstrike and invert physical/magic be bad for a high physical unit? The high STR unit would have their stats swapped to high MAG low STR from invert physical/magic and then have the low STR used by brawnstrike.

I was thinking it would allow a high magic unit deal good physical damage with a book, which I can't actually think of a good use for (I think archers have even-ish defenses, and a defender's tome would be better for a dark bishop regardless of cavalry stats).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jimmydalad posted:

I wish I liked playing Hapi more than I do. I feel like I can never get really good use of her unique ability against commanders and it feels like there are characters who can do what she does better and with less set-up.

her ability is probably a lot more useful when upgraded (increases the size of the puddles)

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Yeah at max level the puddles are pretty much the size of a Banshee AoE, so you can cast that to lock everyone in place, then do one strong attack to layer a puddle over it and explode it to whack on some nice extra damage to everything inside. It's certainly not a top-tier personal ability but it's not bad either.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you use her for her passive so you dont get hosed over by random beast weaknesses
also caspar having his gauntlet class when you fight him but having the axe soldier line when you use him drives me bonkers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I forget the personal abilities so often
Ignatz and Shez are the only two where they're really hard to forget

Tired Moritz posted:

you use her for her passive so you dont get hosed over by random beast weaknesses
also caspar having his gauntlet class when you fight him but having the axe soldier line when you use him drives me bonkers.

Leonie is a great knight but when you get her she's a holy knight!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Tired Moritz posted:

His paralogue also wants him to be a gauntlet class even though most paralogues assume everyone's in their default class line when it comes to the enemy layouts, which is super-weird. (And it awards him a Relic gauntlet.) I wonder if it was a last-minute change or something.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Alois also goes from warrior to great knight as the story progresses. It feels like making war master a gauntlet-only class was a kind of late decision, as was making all the master tier cavalry classes wizards in Leonie's case.

Though my favorite is the one map where Linhardt is a paladin for some reason, where did that come from?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Alois also goes from warrior to great knight as the story progresses. It feels like making war master a gauntlet-only class was a kind of late decision, as was making all the master tier cavalry classes wizards in Leonie's case.

Though my favorite is the one map where Linhardt is a paladin for some reason, where did that come from?

If he's riding a horse he doesn't have to run around.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Eimi posted:

If he's riding a horse he doesn't have to run around.

I just did that map in AG last night and that was my exact thought.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What pisses me off is that there are units who are in their default outfits as enemies in classes they otherwise can't have them in when you play them. In SB when Ashe shows up he's a bow knight but in his normal clothes on the horse, but if you promote him to bow knight yourself on AG even though it's part of his preferred chain he's forced to wear the generic class armor. :argh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I put Caspar on a wyvern and that solved a lot of problems for me

Now I’m wondering why I never did that in houses

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sydin posted:

What pisses me off is that there are units who are in their default outfits as enemies in classes they otherwise can't have them in when you play them. In SB when Ashe shows up he's a bow knight but in his normal clothes on the horse, but if you promote him to bow knight yourself on AG even though it's part of his preferred chain he's forced to wear the generic class armor. :argh:

And the secret characters can't even change their outfit at all. Clearly the tech works to do it, I don't know why it's so fucky. Especially when Houses has the worst generic costumes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I get sad looking at Great Knight Dedue and might just keep him as an advanced class just so he has a better outfit.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I honestly had very little opinions on Jerald before this game and now I loving love the man. I’m amazed at just how character focused this game is, considering how Musou games don’t really tend to have an emphasis on story or character interactions. Also, Byleth is an infinitely better character when they aren’t just a blank slate of nothingness.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Eimi posted:

And the secret characters can't even change their outfit at all. Clearly the tech works to do it, I don't know why it's so fucky. Especially when Houses has the worst generic costumes.

For the secret characters (well, besides Gatekeeper), it seems they just went for the models they use as NPCs and never bothered to go further with them.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Holy poo poo, Shamir’s C support with Balthus.

“Aren’t you forgetting something? After gambling and booze, you’re supposed to ask me about women. Though I doubt our tastes are similar.”

:allears:

What an icon. Shame I barely ever use her cause I hate timed hit characters with subpar stats.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Shamir and Balthus' support line has very strong "straight guy tries to hit on a lesbian and crashes and burns" energy and I'm all for it

Balthus and Edelgard's supports are pretty amusing as well.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I’ve got a soft spot for Balthus because he’s clearly very sharp and observant, but he makes the conscious decision to lean into being an oblivious meathead anyway.

Man, the Wolves are so good. When Yuri is the least fun member of your house, you know you hit it out of the park. I’m glad they didn’t make them be DLC again.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

I honestly had very little opinions on Jerald before this game and now I loving love the man. I’m amazed at just how character focused this game is, considering how Musou games don’t really tend to have an emphasis on story or character interactions. Also, Byleth is an infinitely better character when they aren’t just a blank slate of nothingness.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
oh my GOD shamir. you have terrible taste in women.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Drakenel posted:

I thought this was understood even before Three Hopes, given that Shamir's basically canon partner is Catherine, who would be a strong contender for being one of the worst human beings in the setting if the setting didn't have hilarious over the top cartoon villains like Arundel, Bernie's dad, etc.

(Catherine rules and I like her a lot, for reference, she's just intentionally written to be awful and I'm here for it)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kanos posted:

I thought this was understood even before Three Hopes, given that Shamir's basically canon partner is Catherine, who would be a strong contender for being one of the worst human beings in the setting if the setting didn't have hilarious over the top cartoon villains like Arundel, Bernie's dad, etc.

(Catherine rules and I like her a lot, for reference, she's just intentionally written to be awful and I'm here for it)

See, but that's just one instance. Now we're on to multiple examples.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Ironically enough, she seems to have reasonably good taste in men, or at least tastes that don't cause her much trouble.

Maybe that's why she can only date guy Byleth. For men, she wants someone reliable, kind (odd to say about Hubert, but true), highly capable, and comfortable to get along with.

For women, she's going for a total disaster area.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe that's why she can only date guy Byleth. For men, she wants someone reliable, kind (odd to say about Hubert, but true), highly capable, and comfortable to get along with.

The only three guys she has explicitly romantic endings with are mByleth, Hubert, and Dedue, so that tracks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Drakenel posted:

Excuse me, she has excellent taste in terrible women.

(Joke is not mine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kanos posted:

She can fix her.