Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

sorry to hear that, :rip:

getting my next of kin to prop an open book on top of my face before sealing the coffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

I started reading Ian Wallace's "The Rape of the Sun" and it looks like it's clearly from the 1960s, inside and out:

...only it's a first edition and impression from 1982.

beer pal

yeah i support the NDP.... New Directions Publishing (just started reading satantango)

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

ulvir

satantango is good

im gonna read chasing homer some time this summer. it has a silly gimmick where you scan QR codes to get a chapter soundtrack composed specifically for the novel

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
reading A Talent to Deceive by Robert Barnard; it's a retrospective look at Agatha Christie's work and an attempt to answer the question of just why that work ended up so enduring and appealing. It manages to be appreciative without descending into hagiography (chapter two is talking about all those kind of racist world domination thrillers she wrote, like Passenger to Frankfurt and The Big Four), which I'm enjoying.

3D Megadoodoo

Got a new stack of Asimov in the mail: Asimov's Mysteries, Earth is Room Enough, Nightfall and other stories, The Martian Way, and The Currents of Space. I have a feeling I'm single-handedly driving the prices of old Asimov paperbacks in Finland up in on-line second-hand book shops :-(

xcheopis

baka fwocka fwame posted:

i thought this one was okay but it sort of kept being the same twist over and over im gonna peruse my collection and see which ones i liked best

oh yea wyrd sisters or any of the granny weatherwax ones

feet of clay maybe & moving pictures had that good popcorn burn

& in retrospect night watch being super grim was powerful cuz i wasnt ready for it. that guy really wanted to get at something on his way out

I was initially a bit irritated at the obvious twist but liked it much better on a re-read. There's dark stuff in there and also hope!

beer pal

beer pal posted:

yeah i support the NDP.... New Directions Publishing (just started reading satantango)

loved it great book if you like despair and desperation

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

ulvir posted:

satantango is good

im gonna read chasing homer some time this summer. it has a silly gimmick where you scan QR codes to get a chapter soundtrack composed specifically for the novel

chasing homer? why wheres he going

ahaha

i liked dead astronauts by vandermeer was gonna finish it finally good band too. but i put it somewhere. best chap was murder control

i tried to do ny trilogy by auster again but i wasnt enjoying it as much as i thought i would. hes just really dead technically precise when hes explaining things

buried giant is still p good

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
reading books with their own soundtracks is usually an experience i read the salvation (i forget if name of book or series) opener by petey hamilton and it sucked but the ost made it an epic adventure between good and evil

ToxicFrog

I'm finally doing the Black Company reread I'd been meaning to do for like a year. I'm four and a half books in now (Shadow Games, since I read The Silver Spike in chronological rather than publication order) and enjoying the poo poo out of them.

Although Shadow Games has me really wanting to smack Croaker and the Lady (mostly Croaker) and yell "just kiss already! you idiots!".

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
21 Lessons For the 21rst Century by Yuval Noah Harari.

Once read it seems like kind of common knowledge but I guess the benefit to readers is stressing that these are important issues.

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm finally doing the Black Company reread I'd been meaning to do for like a year. I'm four and a half books in now (Shadow Games, since I read The Silver Spike in chronological rather than publication order) and enjoying the poo poo out of them.

Although Shadow Games has me really wanting to smack Croaker and the Lady (mostly Croaker) and yell "just kiss already! you idiots!".

drat i read the first one and never finished it but it was p freakin cool i forget why i stopped

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

all this Vandermeer talk reminds me : last year I chewed through all 3 Ambergris books, I always highly recommend City of Saints and Madmen to get people hooked.

ToxicFrog

drat i read the first one and never finished it but it was p freakin cool i forget why i stopped

Well, if you ever want to go back to it, these days you can pick up the first three books in omnibus edition as Chronicles of the Black Company; that covers the entire story arc with the northern empire, the Lady, the Taken, and the Dominator.

I've talked to some people who feel that it gets bad after the first three (or sometimes the first six) but personally I enjoyed it right to the end and felt that it absolutely sticks the landing with Soldiers Live. Yeah, that first trilogy is a hard act to follow (and stands well on its own if you want to stop there), and you could I think make a case that the Books of the South and the Books of Glittering Stone aren't as good, but I think they're well worth the read.

They are a lot more decompressed than the earlier books, though. The campaign around Ghoja, in particular, has a lot less "Croaker disposes of an entire year of campaigning, several major battles, and a month-long siege in a single paragraph".

ToxicFrog

Finished Shadow Games and Dreams of Steel and now I'm on to Bleak Seasons. I think this is the low point of the series for me; I don't find Murgen nearly as engaging an annalist as Croaker or the Lady, a good chunk of the book is spent recapitulating the siege of Dejagore which we've already seen from other perspectives in the previous book, and the time-displacement stuff means that you know quite early on that Murgen is going to go through some really bad poo poo later, but not exactly what, which is a narrative structure I find pretty stressful.

3D Megadoodoo

started reading Susan Cooper's Seaward again, because I think I read it as a kid but can't remember anything except the chess. i guess i'll finish it tonight, it's not long.

i have so many things to do that aren't reading a literal kids' book but :shrug:

E: oh, I guess I didn't remember much because there's not much to remember.

Next up: Bukowski

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 11, 2022

ToxicFrog

I forgot Bleak Seasons is also the one that introduces the love triangle subplot where Croaker is consumed by jealousy about Blade making eyes at the Lady and ends up driving one his best officers to defect to the enemy about it, despite ample evidence that Blade won't actually act on his feelings without the Lady's invitation and that the Lady only has eyes for Croaker. Which is a plot structure that frustrates and annoys me and is badly overused.

In this case there's the mitigating factor that the whole thing is a ruse the three of them cooked up together to get Blade inserted into the enemy forces as a mole but that takes like two books to come to light.

When I first saw people advising to stop reading The Black Company after the first 3-6 books I was pretty confused but on reread, yeah, I can definitely see why someone would want to bail when they hit the Books of Murgen. The payoff in Water Sleeps and Soldiers Live is loving tasty but it is a bit of a slog to get there; I wouldn't blame someone -- especially someone who already didn't like the Books of the South as much as they did the first three -- for deciding to cut their losses.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Against all better judgement I started reading Fire & Blood, the Game of Thrones prequel book. I'm not even one chapter in and I have had to take notes as to who is who between Aeon Ageon Aygeon and so on

The Hello Machine

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I read a book on the history of the printing press and now I kinda wanna copy a book by hand as a fun project

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

The Hello Machine posted:

I read a book on the history of the printing press and now I kinda wanna copy a book by hand as a fun project

wtf you seem like an amazing poster

im rereading the wild boys, made some more progress into the irish nonfic thing about their lit tradition. i finished dead astronauts.

3D Megadoodoo

The Hello Machine posted:

Title? (TIA)

The Hello Machine

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

The Origin of Printing in Europe by Pierce Butler. I found it for free on clearance at a local bookstore! I'm not sure how much I'd pay for it, but it was really nice as train-ride reading and I really dug the detail he goes into on literary culture before they had the press!

wtf you seem like an amazing poster

Thank you that is so nice!!

Finger Prince

Hello, I just finished up "The Expert System's Brother/The Expert System's Champion" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Both very good, very interesting explorations in to a human colony that had to adapt to a hostile planet. I think I enjoyed the first book a bit more, the second introduces an interesting antagonist, but it's a bit muddier. Still a cool story though.

I also read Master of Revels which is a sequel to Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O (without Neal Stephenson) and unfortunately nowhere near as good. The primary character gives a strong Mary Sue vibe, and everything about the story is just really really convenient.

beer pal

i just finished the ted chiang short story collection 'stories of your life and others'. pretty good

before that i read white noise by don delillo that i found in one of those free little libraries outside the church that i walk past on my way to the grocery store every week but its mostly religious stuff + self help + danielle steele. pretty good

Jinh

reading "I, Strahd" about the origin of the famous DnD vampire

any good horror people wanna recommend?

thanks so much cda <3

xcheopis

Jinh posted:

reading "I, Strahd" about the origin of the famous DnD vampire

any good horror people wanna recommend?

My favourite horror writers are Clark Ashton Smith, Algernon Blackwood (Wendigo is creeeepy), and William Hope Hodgson.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Jinh

xcheopis posted:

My favourite horror writers are Clark Ashton Smith, Algernon Blackwood (Wendigo is creeeepy), and William Hope Hodgson.

thanks, i'll check them out! :cthulhu:

thanks so much cda <3

xcheopis

Jinh posted:

thanks, i'll check them out! :cthulhu:

It's all early-20th century but very well written. Smith was a contemporary and friend of Lovecraft; his works aren't nearly as well known but I consider him to be the superior writer (and far less racist, which I admit is not a difficult task). Aside from fantasy horror, he also wrote sci-fi horror, mostly dealing with alien planets and life that are truly alien. Blackwood is more of a "every day horror" writer - stories take place in the current time, although often in areas that are lonely (of course!). Hodgeson might be best known for The Night Land (which I now enjoy but it took a few tries to get into the writing style) but don't overlook his nautical stories; they are fantastic in all senses of the word.
They are, mostly, short stories, and so are great for reading at night or while waiting at the doctor's, etc.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading "Kháron ladikján" ("Kharonin lautalla" / On Kharon's Raft?) by Gyula Illyés, which claims to be an "essay novel" which seems about right. It's about getting old, being old, death etc. Pretty good stuff - I almost never make any margin notes in books, or dog-ear pages for quick access later, but I've done so many times with this one. I just suspect the Finnish translation isn't quite as good as it should be, since some sentences seem off-kilter.

biosterous

Finger Prince posted:

I also read Master of Revels which is a sequel to Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O (without Neal Stephenson) and unfortunately nowhere near as good. The primary character gives a strong Mary Sue vibe, and everything about the story is just really really convenient.

i hadn't heard of this sequel so i got really excited and then really unexcited over the course of this paragraph lol

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

i hadn't heard of this sequel so i got really excited and then really unexcited over the course of this paragraph lol

It sort of reads like, what if a huge Shakespeare nerd (who may or may not be a stand-in for the author, or someone they know) went back in time and met Will Shakespeare and foiled the plot of a meddling witch by using her powers of knowing everything about Shakespeare! , and also some other stuff happened that was tangentially related in other timelines but who cares, Shakespeare! And, like it wouldn't be so bad, but the whole way the character is introduced, is like oh no, the main character from the previous book has been removed from the plot! Well good thing his ultra cool theatre nerd kid sister showed up in town today with exactly the skillset required to instantly join the time travel gang, questioning literally nothing about the whole getup, to rescue big bro in Shakespearian times and stop the evil witch!
It's bad. I skimmed a lot to get through it. Not terrible, just, I wanted it to be over while I was reading it.

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm reading "Kháron ladikján" ("Kharonin lautalla" / On Kharon's Raft?) by Gyula Illyés, which claims to be an "essay novel" which seems about right. It's about getting old, being old, death etc. Pretty good stuff - I almost never make any margin notes in books, or dog-ear pages for quick access later, but I've done so many times with this one. I just suspect the Finnish translation isn't quite as good as it should be, since some sentences seem off-kilter.

Are your notes comments on specific passages?

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

Are your notes comments on specific passages?

Yeah I don't, like, write my shopping list in the marginals lmao.

biosterous

Finger Prince posted:

It sort of reads like, what if a huge Shakespeare nerd (who may or may not be a stand-in for the author, or someone they know) went back in time and met Will Shakespeare and foiled the plot of a meddling witch by using her powers of knowing everything about Shakespeare! , and also some other stuff happened that was tangentially related in other timelines but who cares, Shakespeare! And, like it wouldn't be so bad, but the whole way the character is introduced, is like oh no, the main character from the previous book has been removed from the plot! Well good thing his ultra cool theatre nerd kid sister showed up in town today with exactly the skillset required to instantly join the time travel gang, questioning literally nothing about the whole getup, to rescue big bro in Shakespearian times and stop the evil witch!
It's bad. I skimmed a lot to get through it. Not terrible, just, I wanted it to be over while I was reading it.

wow that is, like, really far removed from the previous book and all the stuff that made it great. thanks for the heads up i will give it a pass!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
i read ice by anna k again, still workin on other stuff

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah I don't, like, write my shopping list in the marginals lmao.

Well, vs. notes on the translation

cruft

Last year I decided to spend a month only reading science fiction written by black women. It's been eighteen months and I'm still doing this. So far it has varied from "interesting end of okay" to "blew my friggin' mind".

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

Well, vs. notes on the translation

Oh, those too. There's some stuff that makes sense as is, but if "corrected" to sound better (in my mind) still make sense but might alter the meaning 180 degrees. So it's a lot of big-rear end question marks for me because I don't read Hungarian. I know I should trust the translator as it's a (or more the) big publisher and a prestigious series but I'm always suspicious of translations :tinfoil: e: Because when it's translated from English, I can look up the source, and often spot mistakes even without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir

during a trip I read Jenny Erpenbeck’s Aller tage abend and Joshua Cohen’s The Netanyahus. the first was great and the second made me chuckle a bit but was otherwise just okay

now i’m slowly reading the concept of anxiety by Kierkegaard