Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
One thing I can say is that when I first did that part I thought Maliketh was bringing me to CFA as a last ditch effort to stop me. Afterward I felt differently but that was the impression I had in the moment for whatever useful data that might provide. I think the fact that you’re “cursed” or whatever when you first arrive played a big part in me thinking that.

All that said, I did suspect that using the forge would be a point of no return so I think it probably doesn’t do that much to have one more area and a boss before it actually happens. Like I think there’s decent enough warning. It IS useful to know you can go get the items before true end game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Melina: Let's kill god

Ogg, son of Oog: ok

Melina: Go get the godkiller

Ogg, Son of Oog: ok

Mages, supposedly with 80 INT: but why you am go to Farm Azarma? why am need destiny death for?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They never tell me why I’m doing thing!

The main exposition dump directly tells you?

Wow looks like someone read the wiki?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I am Melania, blade of Miquella.
And I have never fought a runebear.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't understood the plot of a Dark Souls game yet and I don't expect to now

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

War Wizard posted:

Jesus Christ it moved the bloom.

And THAT is why Runebear isn't a summon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something about bearing and seeking lest

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I still cannot kill a runebear without cheesing it somehow.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Been having a lot of fun with lvl 80 duelling, but even though I have matchmaking and such enabled in network settings, I never see any red summon signs? I put down my own and people summon me pretty quickly, but I never get to summon other people.

Anyone know a fix? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I still cannot kill a runebear without cheesing it somehow.

On my first play I was fighting the Runebear in Liurnia near the cliffs and it must have killed me a dozen times.

I dunno why I stubbornly persisted in fighting it because there's nothing to be gained from killing it iirc. But it was personal after a while

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Respecc'd to arcane to get some of the annoyingly rare drops, and I have to say some of these are great. Bandits curved swords shred with bleed, dual iron great swords get crazy ar on heavy affinity. still working on that magma sword and a second ruins greatsword

As annoying as the lizard men are I kind of love them. Especially when they do the extendo man move

You'll be glad to know I have 3 misbegotten shortbows now. Watch your rear end out i'm going to thwang you

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 14, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Mentat Radnor posted:

Been having a lot of fun with lvl 80 duelling, but even though I have matchmaking and such enabled in network settings, I never see any red summon signs? I put down my own and people summon me pretty quickly, but I never get to summon other people.

Anyone know a fix? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Maybe your NAT type? I couldn't summon in DS3 until I changed it

https://dotesports.com/hardware/news/how-to-change-nat-type-on-ps5

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Reposting

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Analytic Engine posted:

Maybe your NAT type? I couldn't summon in DS3 until I changed it

https://dotesports.com/hardware/news/how-to-change-nat-type-on-ps5

Ah I should have specified I'm on PC, but hell it could be something related to my router setting I guess.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know what would have been an awesome little thing? If by releasing Destined Death back into the world at the end of the game, you could eventually permanently despawn enemies like in DS2. However, this would also require something like a bonfire ascetic to make sure that you don't permanently kill an enemy who still has a drop you want.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Chevy Slyme posted:

Fast travel is blocked until you reach the first grace.

I don't think I could travel out of FA until I killed the Godskin Duo.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Respecc'd to arcane to get some of the annoyingly rare drops, and I have to say some of these are great. Bandits curved swords shred with bleed, dual iron great swords get crazy ar on heavy affinity. still working on that magma sword and a second ruins greatsword

As annoying as the lizard men are I kind of love them. Especially when they do the extendo man move

You'll be glad to know I have 3 misbegotten shortbows now. Watch your rear end out i'm going to thwang you

when i was trying to get magma swords, i would kill the two that could drop the sword. i'd also kill the one with the fire whip just because it was a fun little fight

nopants
May 29, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

i'm dual wielding katanas with a dex/arcane build and i am getting murdered by the valiant gargoyles. since they're immune to bleed, should i use a different weapon with a different ashes of war? what can i do to compensate for the fact that my bleed build doesn't do poo poo to these guys? i got some of those poison curing consumables those feel like they're helping

e: this is my first souls game i am very bad

The Anime Like has good advice. if you are willing to change weapons and have smithing stones to do upgrades, the gargoyles are weakest against strike damage. if you have some smithing stones you could try something like the mace or club. if you have somber smithing stones but not regular stones, the nox flowing hammer is in nokron, eternal city. you can get it before beating the valiant gargoyles so you might already have it

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think I could travel out of FA until I killed the Godskin Duo.

You can definitely fast travel once you touch a grace, Ive just never tried it before then.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I told myself I wasn't going to use moonveil on this dex/int run, but I just found it, and I'm holding it in my hand, and it makes pretty blue slashes..

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

War Wizard posted:

Spectacular.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I told myself I wasn't going to use moonveil on this dex/int run, but I just found it, and I'm holding it in my hand, and it makes pretty blue slashes..

Feels so right, doesn't it? C'mon, just a little more, you know you want to...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

War Wizard posted:

BEAR WITNESS

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fister Roboto posted:

BEAR WITNESS

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Thank you

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

man this game owns but how the hell did anyone complete any of these quests before people started publishing guides

here's a dagger maybe one day you'll accidentally interact with a non descript piece of furniture that will progress the questline, now go gently caress yourself

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just finished my first run as a wizard/int, and man moonveil pretty much ruins the game. its just so powerful compared to any of the other options. I know I could just not use it, but I already intentionally gimped myself in another playthough, and that poo poo gets old after leyndell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can get away with a lot when you have a legion of dataminers who will do graduate thesis-level inquiry into the frequency of invisible walls.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ugh. Forgot to respec before starting NG+. I've never bothered with a From NG+ before, and I guess I just sort of assumed I'd get a free respec at the beginning. Pretty dumb not to just do it when I had the chance, in retrospect.

I'm going through it again to try out a magic build and to try to see most of the quest lines I missed in my blind playthrough. Are there a lot of quests that get borked if I beeline for Rennala?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Ugh. Forgot to respec before starting NG+. I've never bothered with a From NG+ before, and I guess I just sort of assumed I'd get a free respec at the beginning. Pretty dumb not to just do it when I had the chance, in retrospect.

I'm going through it again to try out a magic build and to try to see most of the quest lines I missed in my blind playthrough. Are there a lot of quests that get borked if I beeline for Rennala?

No. Just run right there and kill her, shouldn’t be too hard except for the one hallway with five sorcs shooting you

skasion fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 15, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Eternal darkness makes raya lucaria much simpler

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I beelined to Carian Manor for the Sword of Night and Flame on the last playthrough and I think you do miss some stuff from going to Raya Lucaria early -- pretty sure you screw up Rogier's questline if you go to Lucaria of the Lakes before meeting him, you'll never meet Ranni at the beginning and will have to buy the bell from the Twin Maiden Husks, I think you miss some dialogue with Rodrika (I think she becomes a spirit tuner even though you haven't gotten her thingie from Stormveil), couple other minor things. I wouldn't do it if you're specifically trying to do all the quests, but I don't think there was anything major, at least.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mirello posted:

I just finished my first run as a wizard/int, and man moonveil pretty much ruins the game. its just so powerful compared to any of the other options. I know I could just not use it, but I already intentionally gimped myself in another playthough, and that poo poo gets old after leyndell.

I'm putting it back on the shelf until/unless I decide I need it in the endgame. This was supposed to be a whip/rapier run, and I'm still doing fine with those. Doing a brief detour though with the cross naginata and Loretta's Slash.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As far as I can tell Rogier moves to Roundtable Hold when Godrick dies, regardless of whether you've met him, and will give you his sword when you tell him Godrick's dead. IDK if there's any difference if you go to Liurnia before killing Godrick, but I don't see why there would be. I'd be more concerned about missing out on the equip load charm from Nepheli Loux, although I think you might have to go so far as to meet Seluvis to make her move from Stormveil to the Albinauric village.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

man this game owns but how the hell did anyone complete any of these quests before people started publishing guides

here's a dagger maybe one day you'll accidentally interact with a non descript piece of furniture that will progress the questline, now go gently caress yourself

Mostly luck like in the other games.

When does Elden Ring 2 come out every game kinda sucks after this one.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 15, 2022

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Thoughts about Why Almost Everyone Is A Shuffling Zombie:

Most people in the Lands Between are shuffling zombies. Why?

I do not believe that was always the case, even in the Age of the Erdtree when Destined Death was sealed away. If that were the case, the level of development and complex society that we see evidence of could not have existed. But I do think the removal of Destined Death did mean that no one truly died for good during the Age of the Erdtree. That’s why there are a bunch of Evergaols, to deal with enemies of the state permanently. It also explains the horrible fate of the Nomadic Merchants; they were buried so they would be cut off from the cycle of rebirth.

Similarly, I do not think that this degradation was an immediate result of the Shattering. Post shattering, we still see both cultural production (objects mourning Godwyn) and warfare/politics — volcano manor v Leyndell, Raya Lucaria civil war, Radahn and Malenia. Even in the present, the degradation is uneven. Nomadic merchants, Tanith, weirdos like Gostoc and Haight, Irina — all perfectly cogent. You even have cases like the Leydell page playing music. What explains this?

I think that the mechanics of the Erdtree provide an explanation. We know that one of the tenets of Erdtree worship is Erdtree burial. We see the roots suffused with corpses. What do tree roots do? They extract nutrients. But the Erdtree isn’t a physical tree, it’s a spiritual one, and so logically its roots extract spiritual sustenance. As part of the soul-recycling process of Age of the Erdtree immortality, the Tree was skimming off the top.

I think that this is all consistent with what most players will sus out naturally.

My idea is that during the Age of the Erdtree, however, the ‘skimming’ was minimal, not enough to have a noticeable effect. This is because the Erdtree wasn’t doing much during this time — no celestial dew, no saplings. It siphoned enough soul energy to smite the Nox and curse the last Giant, but otherwise was dormant.

But then the Elden Ring is broken, and the Erdtree freaks out. Suddenly it’s sprouting saplings, something that beforehand was thought impossible, and spawning Avatars. Where’s all this power coming from? Maybe the Erdtree dramatically increased the power siphoning, going from sustainable skimming to seriously harmful.

I like this theory because it cleanly explains two big setting elements:
— Differing levels of zombiedom. Bob the peasant, at the beginning of the Shattering, was fully sentient. But Bob gets killed a bunch, loses most of his soul, and ends up mindlessly harvesting Rowa fruit by the time the Tarnished arrives. Alice the Cleanrot Knight is tough enough that she only dies once or twice, and so she still is alert and dexterous, maybe still carrying out her last orders, even if she’s not as capable of reason or planning as she once was. And no one has taken a shot at say, Tanith, so she is fully normal. Sellen has circumvented the Erdtree, so she’s fine. Ranni’s retainers were under her protection. Kale and the nomadic merchants were already a persecuted minority skilled at flight and survival, so they have avoided death and mostly have it together. Edgar was a general and protected his daughter. Gostoc just got lucky, I guess.

— Post shattering stasis. As mentioned above, a ton happens following the shattering. Goderick invades Leyndell. Leyndell invades the Volcano Manor. The Cuckoo Knights attack Caria and the Academy stages a coup against Renalla. Melania attacks Caelid, blooms, and Radahn’s soldiers develop anti-Rot tools and strategies. But nothing is happening in the Tarnished’s ‘now,’ beyond very small scale actions by actors like the Manor, Ranni, Gideon, and Mohg. But this is totally consistent with the hungry Erdtree theory outlined above. Everyone started out with large armies and significant capacities, but these rapidly degraded as their regular forces died and lost chunks of their souls. All in order to power new Saplings in the midst of Scarlet Rot or yet another Erdtree Avatar to get chopped down by the Tarnished.

Anyway, just wanted to get these thoughts out of my head.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

A pro-Erdtree explanation could be that no one is going back to get rejuvenated anymore and the jars that were supposed to be gathering people up and placing them at the roots seem to have all gone AWOL since the shattering.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Is there any more discussion of the lesser erdtrees and why they exist?

Also my personal theory on renalla and raya lucaria is that the reason all the sorcerers wear those glintstone crowns is because they have essentially trapped themselves in stasis. It's not the erdtree it's that they all have done they juvenile scholar thing so much they have completely lost their sense of self so they use the crowns as a ready made set of instructions and skills. Thops wasn't shunned because of his lack of skill but because the current sorcerors are fundamentally incapable of understanding or developing any new sorcery that is not known to the lineages.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

A pro-Erdtree explanation could be that no one is going back to get rejuvenated anymore and the jars that were supposed to be gathering people up and placing them at the roots seem to have all gone AWOL since the shattering.

Is this what the jars are for? I never understood what their deal was other than eating people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The simplest explanation is that the Erdtree is a big goddamned plant, and it's going to spread seeds. Thus, Minor Erdtrees (plus those little tiny saplings that you get flask upgrades from).

Incidentally, I was wondering about going full Conan with a big, smashy axe barbarian build. Strength as the primary stat, two-handed weapons, light enough armour to keep me mobile. The natural development of the Hero starter class, basically. What would the likely gear progression for that look like, in broad strokes?