Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, 2.0 is less lethal for your average dudes but probably more lethal for your tanks. And maybe more lethal for your characters? Feels like there’s a fair bit more precision shot out there now; but that could just be down to the specifics of the list compositions in the games I’ve played ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cpt Soban posted:

I don't know what ZM is, so I'll just say regular casual games.

And probably 1000 points to start off.

ZM is Zone Mortalis. Smaller forces and tighter quarters.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here's another .pdf unit breakdown:

Malcador Assault Tank Squadron
No longer the worst tank in the game, it nevertheless finds its utility diminished largely thanks to the new artillery rules. Some of the weapon profiles are also completely missing, but we can assume they won't be worthwhile as they are either tank cannons or imperial army weapons. Of note is the overpriced demolisher cannon, a fifty point upgrade entirely detached from its new role in the game. The malcador now compares to a Sicaran in speed and armor, with just one more HP, making it notably less survivable than before. The most variant is to take all lascannons, giving it 7 shots total for 290 points. However a landraider, which is a dedicated transport with assault vehicle, can pack 6 shots with better armor for 55 points less. So the Malcador is certainly usable, but a bit overpriced for what you're getting when you have access to the Kratos, Landraider, or Sicaran.

Minotaur Battery
For 80points more than the basilisk (discussed on the last page) you have a slower basilisk with a twin linked weapon.

Legion Stormblade
In 2.0 the stormblade picks up two additional lascannon sponsons, but has weaker armor. Priced 100 points more than the comparable Falchion, it uses an AP3 breaching pie plate. 7" AP3 is very hard to find, making it appealing to take, but at 750 points you're not going to see one unless you're playing seriously big games.

Thunderhawk Transporter
A budget thunderhawk that can transport 22 models (2 dreadnoughts + 2 guys) and two sicarans (or smaller) or one vehicle of up to 8HP. For how much it can carry its priced pretty well, though it comes with notably less firepower than taking several smaller transports. Nevertheless, its a viable way to create a beachhead for you anywhere on the table. Why you would want to transport two sicarans across the table is another matter altogether.

Marauder Bomber
450 points buys you a slightly better armored thunderbolt fighter with a one use apocalyptic bomb payload (AP4) and some defensive weapons. Undeniably cool, and the cheapest way to take a apocalyptic bomb cluster, but being single use you're probably better off spending those points on something a bit more lethal.

Marauder Destroyer
Priced the same as the bomber, the destroyer gains a bunch of rending front mounted weaponry and eight hell-strike missiles in exchange for losing the one-use bomb cluster. Its probably comes out ontop of that trade, but compared to the 280pt fire raptor, its worse armored, lacks strafing run, and can't hover in place to stay on target.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

BULBASAUR posted:

No longer the worst tank in the game, it nevertheless finds its utility diminished largely thanks to the new artillery rules. Some of the weapon profiles are also completely missing, but we can assume they won't be worthwhile as they are either tank cannons or imperial army weapons. Of note is the overpriced demolisher cannon, a fifty point upgrade entirely detached from its new role in the game. The malcador now compares to a Sicaran in speed and armor, with just one more HP, making it notably less survivable than before. The most variant is to take all lascannons, giving it 7 shots total for 290 points. However a landraider, which is a dedicated transport with assault vehicle, can pack 6 shots with better armor for 55 points less. So the Malcador is certainly usable, but a bit overpriced for what you're getting when you have access to the Kratos, Landraider, or Sicaran.

lol owned anton

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Everything I've read about Heresy v2 has me wanting to dig out my old Blood Angels and play some fuckin games, and I haven't played 40k since like 2005

Gato The Elder posted:

Yeah, 2.0 is less lethal for your average dudes but probably more lethal for your tanks. And maybe more lethal for your characters?

40k v3 is back baby; it's good again awooou (wolf howl)

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

BULBASAUR posted:

imo Aether-Fire blasters are worse than plasma against everything except vehicles, so be cautioned there

post your list to get answers to the rest
Here's the list I've been working on (still haven't started building models yet). I honestly want the Aether-Fire for thematic reasons even if it's worse-plasma :)

Ristolaz posted:

dont take librarians. take another consul upgrade and give them a psychic discipline on top of it. Like take a chaplain for the buffs and LD10

I totally missed this concept! Everyone on the Sons is a psyker! Why make a Librarian when I could do this! Genius! Thanks mate!

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Floppychop posted:

ZM is Zone Mortalis. Smaller forces and tighter quarters.

That looks kick rear end

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Less lethal for dudes = better for ZM.

And woohoo, I can take a Malcador if I'm ever dumb enough to go big.

Giving it a flare shield is the sort of T-55 Upgraded Beyond Reason poo poo I live for.

Everyone rocks up with Kratos and Sicarans, my dudes are dragging poo poo out of mothballs.

Too bad the closest thing to reserve artillery at this point is the rapier.

Angry_Nohman
Oct 16, 2012

Kleedrac posted:

I totally missed this concept! Everyone on the Sons is a psyker! Why make a Librarian when I could do this! Genius! Thanks mate!

It may not matter, but just remember you may NOT replace a power weapon with an Achea Force Weapon if the wielder is an independent character. So they can be a psyker, but can only have a Force weapon if you make them a Librarian.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Angry_Nohman posted:

It may not matter, but just remember you may NOT replace a power weapon with an Achea Force Weapon if the wielder is an independent character. So they can be a psyker, but can only have a Force weapon if you make them a Librarian.

This is a valid point but I tend to hide my characters and avoid melee so hopefully this downside will be minimized with my playstyle.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don’t care for the plastic Leviathan’s shoulder ridges. Hopefully they’re optional

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It seems they are. They're not on the ranged Leviathan they teased.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
As dearly as I miss full Battlescribe, and as grateful as I am to the team working to get the 2.0 repository up to scratch...making these lists by 'hand' and formatting them nicely is helping me to memorize a bunch of the new rules that were added here and there.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BirdieBedtime posted:

As dearly as I miss full Battlescribe, and as grateful as I am to the team working to get the 2.0 repository up to scratch...making these lists by 'hand' and formatting them nicely is helping me to memorize a bunch of the new rules that were added here and there.

It does.
On the note of the new rules: how important are people finding Heavy to be? Debating putting my only boarding shield on a Siege Breaker instead of my Warsmith so the latter can go off and do his own thing where he's more useful while the former hangs out with fire support. Seems like Blasts would be the biggest problem units like HSS, Tyrants, etc face, and they all have Heavy natively, but a Siege Breaker without the boarding shield would break Heavy and make them give up rerolls while still not getting to run.

Of course, Armistos doesn't have this problem, but "+1 BS for the unit" is probably nowhere near as good as Sunder would be, and I have a severe shortage of heavy weapons I could give an Armistos anyway besides a heavy bolter (not that he'd be shooting, and they're optional so I guess I don't need one)...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 14, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

X post from 40k:
Was the new plastic Contemptor any larger than the original resin version?

I'm hoping the Leviathan is sized up a little as well to make it look either the same size (or preferably larger) than the 40k Redemptor.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Also, does anyone have any updated size comparisons of the new terminators compared to the other versions from the IP?

I'm really curious on whether these feel like they're "true scale" or not.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

The Demilich posted:

Also, does anyone have any updated size comparisons of the new terminators compared to the other versions from the IP?

I'm really curious on whether these feel like they're "true scale" or not.

The Cataphractii Terminators included in the AoD starter box are the old ones from the Betrayal at Calth box. They're about as tall as the more recent Chaos Terminators, but lack the bulk of some of the newer stuff.

You can see a decent comparison here: https://beyondthetabletop.com/true-scale-terminators

Also worth noting, the plastic Tartaros Terminators are TINY! Definitely recommend sourcing some of them from somewhere like Tortuga Bay if you care about scale.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 14, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Demilich posted:

X post from 40k:
Was the new plastic Contemptor any larger than the original resin version?

I'm hoping the Leviathan is sized up a little as well to make it look either the same size (or preferably larger) than the 40k Redemptor.

I don't have the resin Contemptor itself on hand, but I can confirm the guns, at least, are upsized. From one of my painting sticks (yeah, the primer kind of failed on the old one, I haven't had a chance to redo it yet):

May help you do comparisons if you can find images of both with the same guns.

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
I have a resin Word Bearers dreadnought, and they look around the same size. Note that the Word Bearers dreadnought is leaning forward at around a 25 degree angle where the Dark Angels one is more or less upright.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

I don't have the resin Contemptor itself on hand, but I can confirm the guns, at least, are upsized. From one of my painting sticks (yeah, the primer kind of failed on the old one, I haven't had a chance to redo it yet):

May help you do comparisons if you can find images of both with the same guns.

hah, I kept seeing the twin lascannons on the new contemptor thinking "dang those are ridiculously huge" assuming it was always scale since nobody ever took them

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

hah, I kept seeing the twin lascannons on the new contemptor thinking "dang those are ridiculously huge" assuming it was always scale since nobody ever took them

Yeah, I was a little disappointed seeing that they didn't match, but I didn't want to buy a second plastic one, so I made do with what I had. Would like to have a few more Contemptors, honestly, even setting aside the mechanical good-ness.

Also, started working on bases for the box, even though I haven't had much will to work on the actual models. (It would probably help if my pin vise bits weren't so rusted after ~5 years in storage that they seem like they're going to snap if I use them. Sets back the whole "pin in subassemblies", and the only thing not-pinned that I can put together... are terminators that I need the launchers for..) Aimed for "irradiated Martian-type desert" and think I managed it. Now I just need finished Iron Warriors to put on them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those look pretty cool! Have you thought about putting some pigments on them? Might really sell the martian earth look

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Thoughts on a 1k point Zone Mortalis army? It uses the axe praetor. The second tactical squad is bereft of upgrades because the two tactical squads are designed to be potentially run as one 20-man squad instead, so the sergeant gets a demi-sergeant paint job and can't be given any upgrades he couldn't carry when the squads are merged. (Also it gives me more points to spend elsewhere.) The flamers are because I think the prospect of infiltrating a flamer support squad near an enemy unit and then laying down five flamer templates in narrow Zone Mortalis hallways is really funny. I'm using my five Prospero Tartaros terminators instead of building Cataphractii because I want to build the Cataphractii as Deliverers, but Deliverers seem devalued in Zone Mortalis where ceilings mean their teleporters stop working, and I'm using regular lightning claws on the terminators instead of Raven's Talons because a) I ran out of points, and b) I kinda want Raven's Talons to consistently look like the claws that come on the Cataphractii Terminators and the Dark Fury squad, i.e. sharp fingers rather than Wolverine claws, and I don't want to deal with kitbashing that type of power claw onto all my Tartaros terminator arms right now. (I'd have to cut them off spare Cataphractii arms and then deal with elbows, and I don't want to deal with elbows, or source additional Dark Fury arms, which would delay starting assembly too long.)

I'd kind of prefer to build a breacher or despoiler squad for Zone Mortalis purposes, but I kinda don't want to build despoiler squads overall because the Raven Guard ought to be using assault squads, and I don't want to do any of those things until I see what GW's plans are for plastic releases of 'em.

EDIT: The power lance is because I want to kitbash a guy holding a cool spear. Spears are neato, and I really need to justify buying that Namarti Thralls box just for bits. Also I've been assured that whenever you build a 30k army, it's important to know which model is secretly Alpharius.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 15, 2022

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Stephenls posted:

b) I kinda want Raven's Talons to consistently look like the claws that come on the Cataphractii Terminators and the Dark Fury squad, i.e. sharp fingers rather than Wolverine claws, and I don't want to deal with kitbashing that type of power claw onto all my Tartaros terminator arms right now. (I'd have to cut them off spare Cataphractii arms and then deal with elbows, and I don't want to deal with elbows, or source additional Dark Fury arms, which would delay starting assembly too long.)

Good news, Cataphractii arms fit just right under Tartaros shoulders! I magnetize all of my terminators and I didn't even bother assembling the Tartaros claws.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BirdieBedtime posted:

Good news, Cataphractii arms fit just right under Tartaros shoulders! I magnetize all of my terminators and I didn't even bother assembling the Tartaros claws.

So I presume that works in the other direction, too? Opens up some interesting conversion possibilities...

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The other direction looks slightly hinky from head-on, just because there's a little bit more space under the pads, but from the table nobody's ever gonna notice unless they go "oh cool I love your paint job, can I pick one up to look closer?" and at that point you've already won.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BirdieBedtime posted:

The other direction looks slightly hinky from head-on, just because there's a little bit more space under the pads, but from the table nobody's ever gonna notice unless they go "oh cool I love your paint job, can I pick one up to look closer?" and at that point you've already won.

:sickos:

It means I might be able to convert up some Nullificators for my Thousand Sons, for one thing. Just slap some spare Scarab Termie arms, source some maces and we're in business!

As opposed to just making basic Sekhmet, when I can just use a Scarab Termie as a straight up proxy now they took away the Tartaros option.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BirdieBedtime posted:

That is good to know, but I don’t want them to have shoulder tassels, either.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

a sharp blade and some green stuff

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I've done a few quick 30k commissions.

And now that I'm done with those I can start working on my 30k vehicle project which is getting out of hand.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

There's some tech heresy happening on Olympia uhh, some fortress somewhere in the galaxy.

I'm glad this actually worked, I just have to fill a lot of small gaps now. And figure out how to sell the top of the shoulder pad as "melted" since it's cut away for the cloak (that I'm not using). But soon I'll actually have an HQ, if only in subassemblies.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
OK so I'm working on my list and I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. If I turn one of the Centurions into a Mortificator I can add a Dreadnought Talon to the unit that gains some abilities. May I use an Osiron Pattern Dreadnought? May I then upgrade said Osiron into the Osiron Magus Dreadnought? I'm still kinda new and not sure where to look for these sorts of questions.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Kleedrac posted:

OK so I'm working on my list and I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. If I turn one of the Centurions into a Mortificator I can add a Dreadnought Talon to the unit that gains some abilities. May I use an Osiron Pattern Dreadnought? May I then upgrade said Osiron into the Osiron Magus Dreadnought? I'm still kinda new and not sure where to look for these sorts of questions.

You may use a single Legion Contemptor Dreadnought Talon from page 40 of the Liber. The Contemptor-Osirion Dreadnought Talon is an entirely different until entry, rather than an upgrade to the Legion Contemptor, so that’s a no-go.

Feel free to just ask here - there’s enough of us vets to answer pretty much anything you’ll think of.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Broken Record Talk posted:

You may use a single Legion Contemptor Dreadnought Talon from page 40 of the Liber. The Contemptor-Osirion Dreadnought Talon is an entirely different until entry, rather than an upgrade to the Legion Contemptor, so that’s a no-go.

Feel free to just ask here - there’s enough of us vets to answer pretty much anything you’ll think of.

drat, thanks anyhow

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Played my first HH2/ZM game yesterday. The .ission is dumb as the defender can start scoring immediately, the reactions are nice, and the pyromancer large blasts are ridiculous.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgD4InmD8f_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Here's another .pdf unit breakdown:

Minotaur Battery
For 80points more than the basilisk (discussed on the last page) you have a slower basilisk with a twin linked weapon.

Legion Stormblade
In 2.0 the stormblade picks up two additional lascannon sponsons, but has weaker armor. Priced 100 points more than the comparable Falchion, it uses an AP3 breaching pie plate. 7" AP3 is very hard to find, making it appealing to take, but at 750 points you're not going to see one unless you're playing seriously big games.

Thunderhawk Transporter
A budget thunderhawk that can transport 22 models (2 dreadnoughts + 2 guys) and two sicarans (or smaller) or one vehicle of up to 8HP. For how much it can carry its priced pretty well, though it comes with notably less firepower than taking several smaller transports. Nevertheless, its a viable way to create a beachhead for you anywhere on the table. Why you would want to transport two sicarans across the table is another matter altogether.

Marauder Bomber
450 points buys you a slightly better armored thunderbolt fighter with a one use apocalyptic bomb payload (AP4) and some defensive weapons. Undeniably cool, and the cheapest way to take a apocalyptic bomb cluster, but being single use you're probably better off spending those points on something a bit more lethal.

Marauder Destroyer
Priced the same as the bomber, the destroyer gains a bunch of rending front mounted weaponry and eight hell-strike missiles in exchange for losing the one-use bomb cluster. Its probably comes out ontop of that trade, but compared to the 280pt fire raptor, its worse armored, lacks strafing run, and can't hover in place to stay on target.

First of all, thanks for doing this; I'm so happy to learn that my boxnaughts aren't useless and that I can continue with my dreams of printing a Malcador.

I'm looking forward to when this goes into EXEMPLARY BATTLES!!1! units, would really love to hear takes on Mortus Poisoners. Ideas like taking a 10 man squad, half with flamers, or just a 5 man squad with two flamers and one heavy flamer are already swimming in my head. Them having free access to rad grenades and Sarge being able to take phosphex is INTERESTING.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Is the Iliastus a trap weapon option? It feels like a trap. Twice the shots of an autocannon and the mobility seem great but not being able to reaction fire or overwatch without annihiliating yourself with Gets Hot seems like a huge trade-off vs the AC (which is 5pts cheaper).

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Is the Iliastus a trap weapon option? It feels like a trap. Twice the shots of an autocannon and the mobility seem great but not being able to reaction fire or overwatch without annihiliating yourself with Gets Hot seems like a huge trade-off vs the AC (which is 5pts cheaper).

Not a trap by any means, but definitely not the auto-take it used to be. It’s still incredibly powerful on things like Heavy Support squads in a transport of some sort. 10 Assault Cannons will absolutely blender whatever they’re pointed at. They can almost reliably shoot a Spartan to death.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

As BRT says, not a trap. And gets hot is going off the AP of the weapon so typical normal save off that if you are hell bent on using it for reactions. The new version is just generally WAY safer than it was in HH 1.0. Malfunction used to trigger off three 1's when rolling to hit in shooting phase. That means you had to break out your battletech dice roller (I.E. separate d6s to track when you rolled three 1's) every time you fired the drat thing. And as we all know, three 1's typically happens exactly at the moment you DON'T need it to; just like the critical Lascannon shot or plasma Gets Hot roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Admittedly, we always rolled the dice together, and just counted it if there were three 1s rolled right by each other, since the correct way was slow as hell. Which meant they basically never jammed.