Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Since Jorp more or less brands himself as a self-help guru, has anybody ever actually found success through his teachings and come out as a more wholesome and fulfilled human being? It seems like setting the example to your followers that going through life means you need to be a thoroughly insufferable, absolute loving turbo-creep weirdo rear end in a top hat would just end up making people lonely and miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I always figured he just tried to make people angry.

Just like Trump. No one voted for trump for what they thought he'd do for them, they voted for him for what they thought he'd do to people they hate.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wish Jorp and smol Ben would just gently caress already, all this unfulfilled tension is making everyone miserable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kntfkr posted:

That video freaked me out cuz my rap name is Yung Men and I'm dropping an album called Malthuzian Catastrophe.

I know how you feel. I release albums as Yung Jung. Fucker’s been making my life hard for years now.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Is this like some awful confused mashup of the Protestant work ethic, Catholic guilt and the prosperity gospel? Because it sure feels like it. Put your head down, focus on yourself but also be a leader because you're at the top of the hierarchy, but remember your heart is evil, and it's everyone else's fault if they are failures and therefore your duty to make sure they are not helped, but punished.

Self help? More like self hell. Amirite

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Y'all ever heard of this thing called "original sin?" No? Ok, so, first, women are to blame...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

PITY BONER posted:

Y'all ever heard of this thing called "original sin?" No? Ok, so, first, women are to blame...

But don’t you dare put that Christian label on me! I don’t like labels, putting me in a box like that!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

tek79 posted:

Since Jorp more or less brands himself as a self-help guru, has anybody ever actually found success through his teachings and come out as a more wholesome and fulfilled human being? It seems like setting the example to your followers that going through life means you need to be a thoroughly insufferable, absolute loving turbo-creep weirdo rear end in a top hat would just end up making people lonely and miserable.

Honestly about 3 or 4 years ago I got pretty into a few of his lectures surrounding ideas of self-determination, finding purpose, taking responsibility for the poo poo in your life, etc. He actually had some pretty compelling (if not unoriginal with different packaging) thoughts and I legitimately feel I was able to use them for at least a shred of self development. That's about the absolute limit of praise I'm willing to extend to him though given that I quickly discovered he had the worst opinions on earth about literally anything else. Now I just call him Benzo the clown.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Samovar posted:

This is entirely minor, I'll grant you and maybe I'm getting worked up over a type of phrasing that I've not heard before, but... Why did he have that interjection there? It... Doesn't make sense.

He says that there's one single 'best' place to find Satan. Then has a synonym of 'for example'. But you're not giving an example, you're stating what the best place to find Satan is! It's... It's dumb. Pedantic it may be on my end, but it's just so... Grammatically sloppy.

yeah as people have mentioned, it's basically just padding. he does this ALL THE loving TIME, and it's so loving ANNOYING. he also loves to use "so to speak" as well

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

The 20 second clip I watched had him giving such sage advice as "Sunnis and Shiites need to become penpals."

lol at that pic

benzo the clown

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

tak posted:

benzo the clown

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

tek79 posted:

Since Jorp more or less brands himself as a self-help guru, has anybody ever actually found success through his teachings and come out as a more wholesome and fulfilled human being?

This isn't really the right question to ask. Because as someone pointed out above, anything remotely useful he could teach you about responsibility or whatever you could literally learn from your parents or like Spiderman or something.

Has anyone become a more wholesome person because of HIS specific teachings? Not a chance.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Grimdude posted:

This isn't really the right question to ask. Because as someone pointed out above, anything remotely useful he could teach you about responsibility or whatever you could literally learn from your parents or like Spiderman or something.

Has anyone become a more wholesome person because of HIS specific teachings? Not a chance.

If you strip out generic platitudes you can get from Spiderman what's left of his specific teachings? The feminine dragon of chaos isn't gonna teach anyone poo poo while the rest is gussied up right wing bigotry and talking points.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

kntfkr posted:

The comments section is all praise.
If I ever wanted proof that YouTube is dumber than Twitter, there it is

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Dr Peterson studied his entire life to be able to share his knowledge to the world in the past 3 years. I personally am incredibly thankful. Thank you Jordan Peterson!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Why does he squint all the time now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The B stands for Benzo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Fattest PI posted:

Brain damage

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Fattest PI posted:

I think he's reading off a screen which is an ipad that his daughter is holding up.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Fattest PI posted:

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

tek79 posted:

If you buy what he's selling, at best you come out affirming your already lovely attitudes towards women and muslims and upholding the patriarchy like a good boy. Jorp is just one of the entry level players, like Fresh&Fit or Gary Vaynerchuk, or at least he used to be. It seems he's stepping up his game.

If you're really suckered in then you hop on for more of the whistle-stop tour of radicalizing misogynist neo-nazis. I don't really know who the next level players are currently, other than the obvious big ones like Shapiro and Crowder. I know Sargon of Akkad is still around, left over from gamergate/skeptic scene, and that the radicalization tour generally stops at the chan boards before getting blackpill content and invites to the more hard core fash groups.

But yeah, being lonely and miserable is how they hook you, and keeping you lonely and miserable is how they ensure you will keep coming back for "help." A lot like how dating apps work.

kntfkr posted:

The comments section is all praise.

"I love you Professor Peterson. You make me cry tears of meaning."

:barf:

dot communist fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 14, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need Tim Heidecker to do a Jorp parody. His Joe Rogan one was great, as was his full set as a hack stand up comedian.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you just read the headlines, 12 Rules is pretty reasonable self-help stuff; take care of yourself, be honest, respect others, enjoy the smaller things in life. It's just that the text beneath the headlines is a mess of jargon and random bible verses and anecdotes which vaguely tell you to do the exact opposite of what the headline says.

Like it's incredible how little he understands the advice he clearly found somewhere else and claimed as his own, and if anyone gets anything good out of anything he says, it is in spite of him, not thanks to him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

PITY BONER posted:

sorry, but the new thing is "historical guilt", a variant of original sin where unethical people try to make us feel bad about something having happened in the past that we had nothing to do with and therefore should not have to consider in our day-to-day life. yes, that's how original sin works - it's something that happened a long time ago, end of story and relevance.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I need Tim Heidecker to do a Jorp parody. His Joe Rogan one was great, as was his full set as a hack stand up comedian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJyg0Y8xLOg

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

pro click

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Tim's stand up special as a hack comedian is definitely based on Jim Breuer, the Goat Boy.

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1547261334773010432?s=21&t=JY2O5QYvZszl0ntW38AABw

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BigglesSWE posted:

But don’t you dare put that Christian label on me! I don’t like labels, putting me in a box like that!

It's impossible for me to know what someone means when they say gowd, and neither do they.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

kntfkr posted:

That video freaked me out cuz my rap name is Yung Men and I'm dropping an album called Malthuzian Catastrophe.
Just a heads up re: your avatar: geese do not have vaginas. They have a cloaca, which doubles as a genital opening and a waste expulsion chute.

bird food bathtub posted:

If you strip out generic platitudes you can get from Spiderman what's left of his specific teachings? The feminine dragon of chaos isn't gonna teach anyone poo poo while the rest is gussied up right wing bigotry and talking points.
Excuse me the feminine dragon of chaos taught me the above goose fact :colbert:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I got your cloaca right here!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The 20 second clip I watched had him giving such sage advice as "Sunnis and Shiites need to become penpals."

i am surprised he didnt call them savages who need to submit to jesus

Samovar posted:

No, he's trying to convert them all to Christianity, but just in a deniable way.

yeah basically. he is one of those types who says "well THEY are a RELIGION, but I have RELATIONSHIP with JESUS".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WaryWarren posted:

Tim's stand up special as a hack comedian is definitely based on Jim Breuer, the Goat Boy.

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1547261334773010432?s=21&t=JY2O5QYvZszl0ntW38AABw

Wow. He's terrible.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
He'll snit at some eyerolling ayatollah and get fatwa'd

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

WaryWarren posted:

I can't believe I actually thought this guy was a stoner in Half-Baked. In retrospect it's obvious he's never smoked weed in his life.

Nobody's ever offered him any.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow. He's terrible.

oh i'm sorry, SNOWFLAKE. did that hit a little too close to home, huh??

then you better get your pumpkin spice latte to go, cause even your precious little safe space isn't gonna save you from these TRUTH BOMBS:

https://twitter.com/thebhart/status/1547276308962574336

Grimdude posted:

bird food bathtub posted:

Canadian Fonzie posted:

If you buy what he's selling, at best you come out affirming your already lovely attitudes towards women and muslims and upholding the patriarchy like a good boy. Jorp is just one of the entry level players, like Fresh&Fit or Gary Vaynerchuk, or at least he used to be. It seems he's stepping up his game.

If you're really suckered in then you hop on for more of the whistle-stop tour of radicalizing misogynist neo-nazis. I don't really know who the next level players are currently, other than the obvious big ones like Shapiro and Crowder. I know Sargon of Akkad is still around, left over from gamergate/skeptic scene, and that the radicalization tour generally stops at the chan boards before getting blackpill content and invites to the more hard core fash groups.

But yeah, being lonely and miserable is how they hook you, and keeping you lonely and miserable is how they ensure you will keep coming back for "help." A lot like how dating apps work.

Yeah, basically this. all the remotely possibly useful things he's advocated for has been done so by way better people than him, and there's virtually no one i've seen who's a fan of jorp that stops at the clean your room/pet a cat stuff. he is absolutely a gateway to horrible things.

which is why i always laugh whenever jorp tried to claim that he had a DE-radicalizing effect on people. like, how the gently caress does that work?

"hey, i was a 4chan posting pepe avatar that thought women were hypergamous whores and trans people were degenerate scum, both of whom i feel were destroying western civilization. but then i started listening to jordan peterson and then..." ?

thunderspanks posted:

Now I just call him Benzo the clown.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The B stands for Benzo.

i'm sure i've heard both of these before but they never stop being funny

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Mr Interweb posted:

oh i'm sorry, SNOWFLAKE. did that hit a little too close to home, huh??

then you better get your pumpkin spice latte to go, cause even your precious little safe space isn't gonna save you from these TRUTH BOMBS:

I think Heidecker's special is based around more of a Nick Dipaolo; I mean look at this thumbnail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aIdNexGjw0&t=1270s

same comedy though (press play if u dare)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, this is weird, because I've heard it before. That "back up and finish the job" thing sounds way too familiar.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

thunderspanks posted:

Honestly about 3 or 4 years ago I got pretty into a few of his lectures surrounding ideas of self-determination, finding purpose, taking responsibility for the poo poo in your life, etc.

Focussing on things you can control and taking responsibility (and letting go of the things you can't control) are extremely helpful pieces of advice that improved my life when I was young, but I didn't learn that from Peterson as this was nearly two decades ago. So yeah its all pretty generic advice repackaged as a lobster-daddy original. I don't even remember where I heard that advice from to be honest.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aren't a lot of his 'ideas' on self-help just Cognitive Behavioural Therapy repackaged in flowery language to appeal to young men? I thought I remembered some poor goon who read through one of his books saying as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone have anymore of the "we'll see who cancels who, woke moralists" memes?