Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Serious Sam is at it's best with co-op play, more people the better. I got a bunch of people to play it at a lan years ago (like, a decade and a half lmao) and it was some of the most fun I've had.

yep I played it LAN years ago and it was the most fun playing games I’ve had ever. It’s soooo good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished another episode of Amid Evil. I'm now allegedly 3/7ths of the way through the game, but this episode was as long as the first two combined. The enemies were more annoying, too! Not a great combination. (I do appreciate that each episode has a completely different bestiary, but there are some misses.)

I've also figured out that part of my problem with AE is that the soul power mechanic reminds me of Painkiller, which leads to me asking uncomfortable questions like "why am I playing this rather than just installing and replaying Painkiller?" I've even got it on Steam already!

Speaking of Painkiller, I went looking and it looks like since last time I played it there have been no less than four expandalones released -- Overdose, Resurrection, Redemption, and Recurring Evil. Are any of them worth playing? I loved the original game, but Battle out of Hell was a turd.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of Painkiller, I went looking and it looks like since last time I played it there have been no less than four expandalones released -- Overdose, Resurrection, Redemption, and Recurring Evil. Are any of them worth playing? I loved the original game, but Battle out of Hell was a turd.

From what I understand, Overdose is the best of them. That's not a good thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Episode 3 of Amid Evil is easily the weakest, mostly because the enemies suck.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

If you think Battle out of Hell was a turd, you really don't want to see any of the follow-ups. They gave them to different dev companies and none of them had any idea what they were doing.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

"why am I playing this rather than just installing and replaying Painkiller?" I've even got it on Steam already!

level design

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When Painkiller came out and somehow everyone went "This is exactly like Doom in every single way! It's just Doom again, the game where you just hold down the button and obliterate thousands of waves of enemies in arena-based gameplay!" I felt despair that only the mid 2000s games industry could provide. God, what a dark time for gaming.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Painkiller is pretty badass though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ToxicFrog posted:

Finished another episode of Amid Evil. I'm now allegedly 3/7ths of the way through the game, but this episode was as long as the first two combined. The enemies were more annoying, too! Not a great combination. (I do appreciate that each episode has a completely different bestiary, but there are some misses.)

I've also figured out that part of my problem with AE is that the soul power mechanic reminds me of Painkiller, which leads to me asking uncomfortable questions like "why am I playing this rather than just installing and replaying Painkiller?" I've even got it on Steam already!

ae gets better as it goes on, episodes 4-7 are the best in the game. the third episode is the weakest of the bunch for sure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volte posted:

When Painkiller came out and somehow everyone went "This is exactly like Doom in every single way! It's just Doom again, the game where you just hold down the button and obliterate thousands of waves of enemies in arena-based gameplay!" I felt despair that only the mid 2000s games industry could provide. God, what a dark time for gaming.

agreed

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Finished Ion Fury after spending a few weeks playing it on and off. Think my biggest annoyance with it was how long it took it before the enemies got more varied than the cultists.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Disproportionation posted:

Everything about doom 2016 from a marketing perspective was almost a complete disaster to the point that it being good came as a shock, never mind it being really good.

Like, the announcement trailer that showed absolutely no game footage, the initial focus in demos on the glory kill animations and not their function in gameplay, the pre release multiplayer only beta, the fact that bethesda outright withheld review copies. Everything pointed to it being terrible and somehow it was one of the best shooters of the last few years.

I really think Bethesda management/marketing thought what they were selling was a competitor to Call of Duty, a huge multiplayer shooter that also has a single-player campaign that's largely seen as an afterthought to the multiplayer; that's why the prerelease multiplayer beta instead of a demo, that's why the disinterest in showing us singleplayer footage, that's why the DLC was all multiplayer-focused. They were as surprised as we were when the game unlocked and surprise, it's goddamned amazing and everybody loves it, and the multiplayer flubbed so badly that they ended up giving away the DLC just so the people who bought it would have somebody to play with.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Volte posted:

While Painkiller's philosophy of level and encounter design is very different from Doom's, it is a throwback to 90s FPS design sensibilities in the sense that:
- your character moves like a greased ferret
- there's no cover system, weapon carry limits, or regenerating health
- there's no need to reload guns
- there are no mission objectives more complicated than "reach the exit, killing everything in your path"
- what little plot there is exists solely in between-episode intermissions and is clearly an afterthought
- you have a bunch of powerful weapons that all remain useful in their niches right to the end of the game
- level designers can (and do) make use of encounters with swarms of dozens or even hundreds of enemies, rather than like 5-10
- no attempt whatsoever is made to keep the weapons or enemies realistic
- surviving an encounter requires constant movement and judicious weapon selection and target prioritization by the player

And for most people, the game that epitomizes that sort of high-speed I-have-50-shots-for-my-rocket-launcher-and-can-use-them-all-up-in-30-seconds gameplay is Doom, even if there are other games from that era that are a closer match for Painkiller (and its nearest ancestor is probably not any of them, but Serious Sam, which predates PK1 by only a few years).

Also, similarity or lack thereof to Doom (and drearily monochromatic palette) aside, Painkiller owns bones and I'm definitely due to replay it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Painkiller is a fun game/series. They have their painful moments but I have no regrets going through them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You know, I don't think I've ever really noticed the Painkiller series, but you guys are selling it well. They all seem to be on sale right now, where should I start?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

You know, I don't think I've ever really noticed the Painkiller series, but you guys are selling it well. They all seem to be on sale right now, where should I start?
Only get Painkiller Black Edition. The rest of the series consists of some utterly dire expansion packs farmed out to under-equipped mod teams and a mediocre HD remake that lacks content from the original game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, like, be advised Painkiller has a lot of flaws and is basically just a bunch of sloppy slaughter maps. Its not terrible (I certainly had fun) but its exactly the quality you might think it is from "Ive never really heard of this before but some people are fond of it".

Oh and I'd personally recommend cheating to unlock each card after you beat a level because the unlocks really mess up the flow

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Barudak posted:

Also, like, be advised Painkiller has a lot of flaws and is basically just a bunch of sloppy slaughter maps. Its not terrible (I certainly had fun) but its exactly the quality you might think it is from "Ive never really heard of this before but some people are fond of it".

Oh and I'd personally recommend cheating to unlock each card after you beat a level because the unlocks really mess up the flow

I'm one of those weirdos who really liked most of the unlocks, they challenged me to play levels in ways I wouldn't have otherwise.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Painkiller but yeah only play Black edition and curb your expectations a bit because it's a little jank. I had fun though and I think the card system is pretty neat. I think some of the levels are only playable on higher difficulties though so take that into consideration?

Edit: I also think doing the actual unlocks for cards is fun but your mileage may vary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
painkiller is definitely one of those "it was fun at the time" games, but not today

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

painkiller sucks dick, in a bad way

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yep

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Painkiller Black Edition stands up as a 'boomer shooter' if you like those kinds of games. Also the card to get and keep forever is 'double ammo' so you never stop shooting. :getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a handful of painkiller levels that have actual geometry, backtracking keys, moving bits of the level that show the tiniest glimpse of something really special. But i played it last year for the first time and still had fun with the simple arenas and hallways approach to makes up 90% of the game. The FMVs are awesome as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah its got absolutely dreadful bosses, just like every other FPS ever made.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

i did like how huge the bosses were and how they would knock around tons of level geometry tho. early havok physics ftw

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
can't forget necrovision!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

can't forget necrovision!

This game was crazy. You play this horror WW1 story with crazy zombies and wizards and all sorts of nonsense building up to you fighting a huge boss, then instead of the game ending you go to hell and turn into a wizard with crazy magic powers and fight mole people

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that sounds rad

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
yeah that sounds like a very good level of crazy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Too bad it actually kinda sucked to play.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I need to get back to Necrovision. Painkiller too, really, it's been a long time since I last played either.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i need to record some Project Brutality + Slaughtermaps to showcase how loving ludicrous it can be

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Convex posted:

This game was crazy. You play this horror WW1 story with crazy zombies and wizards and all sorts of nonsense building up to you fighting a huge boss, then instead of the game ending you go to hell and turn into a wizard with crazy magic powers and fight mole people

Also there's a secret in one level where you meet J.R.R. Tolkien.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Barudak posted:

Yeah, and whereas a Doom II slaughtermap has a robust and masterfully crafted enemy roster to draw from, Painkiller's bestiary basically boils down to a choice of aesthetic--with most enemies having few actual differences under the hood. I still have trouble reconciling the fact that the developers made so many different enemies, and then gave them all the same fundamental AI, HP & stats, etc.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Necrovision is the perfect game to play for one hour every three years

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve been meaning to play Nevrovision, I’ve had it installed and waiting to be played for what feels like years.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

KozmoNaut posted:

Also there's a secret in one level where you meet J.R.R. Tolkien.

:vince:

Well I gotta play this poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

And at the end, you ride a dragon into the heart of Hell to kick Satan's rear end with dual-wielded rocket launchers and a World War 1 mech.

Necrovision is hilarious, especially once you get a combo going and things around you just start exploding for no reason.