Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Just as a heads up, tomorrow's update will have to be delayed one extra day to Friday. I swear this'll be the last time and I'll get back to my one day on two day off pace, the only reason I couldn't be ready in time is because my writing time had to be sacrificed so I could relentlessly hunt down the best odds for my housing bid. God I hope I win this time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Completely understandable, housing in FFXIV is the true end-game.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I think I got pointed to the guildhests on my first character Back In The Day. Either that or I just did them out of a sense of completeness.

Originally during the 2.X part of the MSQ, you'd be required to complete the level 30 guildhest, which was probably the first time most players even realized it was a thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah they never actually put the Limit Break on your hotbar. Sure they'll put the button that opens the Lodestone in a browser window, but they won't put Limit Break on there.

On controller, LB is on the default hotbar 1 of every newly aquired job. Or at least it always has been for me, right up through EW jobs. Granted I never leave it in the spot the game puts it.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
You might be mistaking the Autoattack button for LB. The default four buttons on controller are always Sprint, Teleport, Return, Autoattack.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
.. what does the autoattack button even do?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DanielCross posted:

You might be mistaking the Autoattack button for LB. The default four buttons on controller are always Sprint, Teleport, Return, Autoattack.

Hmm maybe? They do look kind of similar. And ripping those four buttons out to be replaced with other things generally happens in the first couple seconds so it isn't like I ever actually push it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Guildhests are just a myth, you can't tell me that they're real.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pyro Jack posted:

Guildhests are just a myth, you can't tell me that they're real.

Oh no, they're real. Guildhests are real.

It's Mentors who use Mentor Roulette to actually help sprouts learn difficult fights that are the myth.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

For ARR classes, the xp bonus for first time completion of each guildhest isn't terrible. Worth doing to get over the hump to normal roulettes at least.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh no, they're real. Guildhests are real.

It's Mentors who use Mentor Roulette to actually help sprouts learn difficult fights that are the myth.

: (

All my efforts to type on the virtual controller how to do Ramuh EX and Thornmarch EX, unappreciated : (

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

OddObserver posted:

.. what does the autoattack button even do?

Even if you draw your weapon and target a mob, unless you actually use autoattack you won't swing at them. You can tell autoattack is active when you see the little circle made of two arrows spinning over the mob's head (or maybe their status bar, I forget where this shows up). Physical skills/WS automatically trigger autoattack but spells don't so if you're a melee/ranged DPS you've never noticed autoattack being a separate thing and if you're a mage you won't start physically bonking them with your weapon unless you use autoattack even if you close within melee range.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Magic DPS cast times also prevent most autoattacks, which are very low damage anyway, so it's of limited use.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Autoattacking is BLM's second dot

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve definitely bonked the boss without hitting anything other than target as WHM before when I’m on an enemy’s rear end to be near the tank. It’s just really rare as a caster or healer you have enough downtime to bonk because you’re normally casting. I think it can only happen when you weave oGCDs or stand around doing nothing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I mean, what else are you going to do on Amon or Greg when you're silenced?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
It should be noted that on controller, pressing X (or whatever your equivalent is) a second time once you've targeted an enemy activates Autoattack (even if you're well out of range), so the Autoattack skill on your Cross Hotbar is extra useless.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

It's extra funny when you manage to autoattack as SGE. Since they don't actually hold their weapons at all, their autoattack is just punching.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

With a mouse you can right-click on the target in melee range and your auto attack starts.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the point I realized autoattack was a thing that was even happening at all was when I started putting a lot of time into ninja and would, when backing out of orange spots, occasionally just out of nowhere get the "target out of range" error on my screen, even though I obviously wasn't pushing buttons while I was dodging. that and/or occasionally forgetting what button I'm supposed to be hitting and watching my elf just thwack a guy for 50 HP while I'm trying to read my bars.

is there any point at all where the game tells you how or when to limit break? I honestly don't remember being told to go find the button, and I definitely only learned that there was one LB bar per group when I stole it out from under someone else in an actual dungeon.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The game gives you the limit break tutorial during your first dungeon, which is bad because you're already getting bombarded with tutorials at that time. Even if you're not sick of tutorials or anxious that your group is going to move on without you if you take the time to read the messages, it's way too much to process all at once.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also the middle of a dungeon isn't a great place to stop and drag abilities onto your hotbar

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

They SHOULD have added a mention to the new dungeon tutorial they added with the Duty Support system, but they didn't.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Limit Break is simply one of those things the game fails at communicating to new players. Giving you an LB3 in the Ultima fight is nice but the entire concept isn’t really given more than passing mention and chances are the first time a new player presses the button they’re going to be told it was bad to do so. Tank LB being a selective thing only needed in raiding (such as Bahamut’s Terflare in Coils) and only showing up in casual everyman content very recently probably doesn’t help.

It’s sort of like Rescue. I leveled ARR as a healer, and when I got Rescue I simply googled it and saw people at Reddit suggesting you don’t even bother to equip it to your HUD because any use of rescue, even positive contributory ones, will annoy people.

In the 1.0 days when ARR was in development the Limit Break was the “oh wow look at that” moment of ARR trailers (the whole party would pose for it in these prerelease clips), so maybe back then it didn’t need much explanation or figuring out when to use it was part of the challenge, but today the game just sort of assumes you’re familiar with it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 14, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ziddar posted:

It's extra funny when you manage to autoattack as SGE. Since they don't actually hold their weapons at all, their autoattack is just punching.

A left hook is a perfectly viable auto-attack.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, back when I was first starting, I figured that Limit Break was just yet another thing that was locked behind MSQ progression.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'd been playing for months when I finally used LB in some random dungeon, as a healer of course, partially to figure out what exactly that bar was for but mostly to see if everyone had our own bar or if it was shared because I had no recollection of that information being imparted.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The whole party still poses for a Limit Break, just that they usually clip the animation immediately because they're pushing buttons or moving.

In fairness, the way individual LBs work in PvP is both cooler and more intuitive than PvE. It really shouldn't be the case that LB is something only the DPS gets to use (outside of two specific situations) and some jerk will still yell at you if you're the wrong DPS to use it. Let everybody periodically do something cool and flashy in a fight, I say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I really think the revamped Lahabrea fight should have ended with a guaranteed LB3 just for you in the solo duty. The revamped Ultima Weapon is a nice idea, but if you're the tank or healer it's no go for you, and if you're dps you're competing with the other dps - and if you're a ranged character and they're melee, they get priority.

Tank LB3 is only really used in two specific fights where it's explicitly required, and healer LB3 is something you ideally will never see in the entire game because it's a last-ditch tool to attempt to recover from a wipe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The end of your post explains why they don't give you what you asked for at the beginning. What good is a healer LB3 in a solo duty?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Craptacular! posted:

The end of your post explains why they don't give you what you asked for at the beginning. What good is a healer LB3 in a solo duty?

"Oh no Lahabrea just nuked all your buddies over there! Go do your Big Thing!"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think I've used a LB maybe three times after probably hundreds of hours of playtime. I definitely didn't add a shortcut to any of my hotbars before HW. Hell, I think I've ended up in the new Ultima Weapon fight in a MSQ roulette and realized I didn't have a LB shortcut on the bar for the class I was playing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dedekind posted:

That was my suggestion, I’m sorry.

Though there is nothing more satisfying than hitting 90 with a guildhest.

I hit 90 RPR off of a FATE completing while I was dead on the floor, which felt deeply appropriate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember when I was a sprout. For the longest time, I kept wondering why people were talking about pounds in chat. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know whether ffxiv renaming all of its units of measurements (ilms, yalms, ponze, etc) is very charming or very obnoxious.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cythereal posted:

I really think the revamped Lahabrea fight should have ended with a guaranteed LB3 just for you in the solo duty. The revamped Ultima Weapon is a nice idea, but if you're the tank or healer it's no go for you, and if you're dps you're competing with the other dps - and if you're a ranged character and they're melee, they get priority.

Tank LB3 is only really used in two specific fights where it's explicitly required, and healer LB3 is something you wish to be up when progressing hard content.

Fixed. Like I know you never got into hard content and that's understandable, but healer LB definitively sees a lot of use when you haven't learned a fight yet.

Tank LB is indeed pretty rare, though. Outside of forced moments you only use it to cheese very specific mechanics like Ultima EX orbs or a current raid boss.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

YggiDee posted:

I don't know whether ffxiv renaming all of its units of measurements (ilms, yalms, ponze, etc) is very charming or very obnoxious.

I seem to recall that 1 yalm is the height of 1 average Lalafell

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So 1 yalm = 1 potato

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Healer LB gets used a lot when my FC does normal raids but that's because it's normal for most of us to get killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

YggiDee posted:

They should come up with more and more weird fantasy names for weird units of measurements. I wanna see the Eorzean equivalent of "furlong" or "dram"