Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

a neat cape posted:

I know logically that this is safe and fine.

I'm still loving terrified

When you start to decel for descent, my brain knows we are still doing 350mph and have plenty of lift but my inner ears are telling me we are seconds from falling out of the loving sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah the worst part for me is reaching cruising altitude because my ears go "we're stopping! The engines stopped and we're gonna fall!"

...Even though, like, airplanes can glide.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

For me takeoffs are fine. If I'm gonna die, it'll be fast, and boom over. Being in the air is the worst, you know a landing's coming eventually and you're just stuck in the most crowded uncomfortable place for 12 hours. It's hell.

Then you land and again, either you'll die instantly or it's all good and then you're free of that metal hell.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

When you start to decel for descent, my brain knows we are still doing 350mph and have plenty of lift but my inner ears are telling me we are seconds from falling out of the loving sky.

It was a fun moment when I realized that final part of landing isn't like driving to a runway, but more like slowing down so you're generating less lift. Basically, you're falling out of the sky.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yep, don't look up "landing flare" lol

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

For me takeoffs are fine. If I'm gonna die, it'll be fast, and boom over. Being in the air is the worst, you know a landing's coming eventually and you're just stuck in the most crowded uncomfortable place for 12 hours. It's hell.

Then you land and again, either you'll die instantly or it's all good and then you're free of that metal hell.

It's this. Cabins and seats that have gotten smaller and less comfortable as I've gotten older and more brittle make the in air experience awful.

Weirdly I actually enjoy airports. Whether it's for vacations, business, family events, or whatever, people traveling vast distances are living life outside of normal routines. It feels like being surrounded by folks who are making memories instead of just getting on with things.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Weirdly I actually enjoy airports. Whether it's for vacations, business, family events, or whatever, people traveling vast distances are living life outside of normal routines. It feels like being surrounded by folks who are making memories instead of just getting on with things.
Definitely agree with this, past two years excluded. It's a time warp of people on various journeys, making friends with strangers at bars is easy. The anticipation of the destination, or the siren song of home, are exciting.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Flying is absolutely the most extreme example of my logic brain short circuiting to freak out even though I know it's safe. The woman next to me asked if I was OK during extreme turbulence once, which I appreciated, but also didn't figure she could do much about the situation.

The three months I did so much work travel did make me a little better, but now it has been over two years again.

Also it's super cool that the engines revving at the end is because the exhaust is redirected forward and acting like a brake. For a LONG time I thought it was just the wheel brakes stopping us.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Flying is loving awful right now. The volume of flyers is back up to pre-pandemic levels but the volume of flights can’t match it. I’ll book a trip for work and if I’m lucky I’ll only get one notification that my flight has been modified in some way. I’ve had multiple flights cancelled because they presumably don’t have the crew available to staff them. Thank god I have precheck and Clear because if I had to wait in line at some of the security checkpoints I’ve seen I’d be considering wandering off onto the tarmac to seek sweet relief under the wheels of a landing jumbo jet. Also once you’re finally onboard have fun sitting beside the maskless jerkwad who’s deep in the throes of a coughing fit.

It’s all a symptom of pretending that COVID is gone when it really isn’t. People are so desperate to get back to normal but a lot of our institutions are still groaning under the strain of dealing with the reality of a pandemic. I’m thinking we’re not going to be “back to normal” for years at this point.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I used to be somewhat anxious when flying but now I fly with young kids so I am whipping out a new toy every 10 minutes to keep them occupied and am spending every minute of the flight making sure they are entertained so I have no time to be anxious.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

some people might say it's spliced

I just say it's Kevin Dunn directing it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you're on a plane hold onto whatever you can very tight and push your body into your seat. it helps keep the air craft 'in control'.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
The last time I flew I happened to have a severe sinus infection, and it felt like my skull was expanding and tearing through my flesh for three hours

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

lol the weather is supposed to be dogshit on both ends of our flights on both days so instead of risking huge delays we may just reschedule and do a local staycation since MiL is already staying over :toot:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Freaquency posted:

Flying is loving awful right now. The volume of flyers is back up to pre-pandemic levels but the volume of flights can’t match it. I’ll book a trip for work and if I’m lucky I’ll only get one notification that my flight has been modified in some way. I’ve had multiple flights cancelled because they presumably don’t have the crew available to staff them. Thank god I have precheck and Clear because if I had to wait in line at some of the security checkpoints I’ve seen I’d be considering wandering off onto the tarmac to seek sweet relief under the wheels of a landing jumbo jet. Also once you’re finally onboard have fun sitting beside the maskless jerkwad who’s deep in the throes of a coughing fit.

It’s all a symptom of pretending that COVID is gone when it really isn’t. People are so desperate to get back to normal but a lot of our institutions are still groaning under the strain of dealing with the reality of a pandemic. I’m thinking we’re not going to be “back to normal” for years at this point.

I flew to LA for work in the last week of June and getting there was v bad, but flying back on the Friday before 4th of July weekend was surprisingly painless. I got through TSA at LAX in under five minutes.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Flying to me is like being in the front passenger seat while driving through the mountains on curvy roads. You know the person whose driving is being safe but it feels like you are always seconds from falling off a cliff since you have no control.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I always loved the sensation of taking off and coming in loving hot for a landing, but I also raced motorcycles for like 12 years at my physical limit and have never really been concerned with living or dying so :shrug:

Anyway, looks like I’ll finally get to tell these god drat no good loving piece of poo poo mother fuckers hanging the sale of this house over my head for over two years now to go eat poo poo and die because I just had my offer on a quiet little condo accepted. Crossing my fingers that everything goes through because I desperately need a new space to start my life over Before the fed jacks up rates again

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Rectal Placenta posted:

The last time I flew I happened to have a severe sinus infection, and it felt like my skull was expanding and tearing through my flesh for three hours

It was covid for me, though I didn't know it at the time. My head was so stopped up but it felt like my brain was going to explode. It was awful.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

how have we reached a point in the human timeline where i have to watch commercials of tim tebow getting a luxury IV drip

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cavauro posted:

if you're on a plane hold onto whatever you can very tight and push your body into your seat. it helps keep the air craft 'in control'.

I fart during lift off to help the plane.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The most important thing to help with traveling via airplane is what you do after the flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoFwttFEYLQ

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The thing I hate about flying is being crammed next to a guy in a thin blue line shirt. (My current status :mad:)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

The thing I hate about flying is being crammed next to a guy in a thin blue line shirt. (My current status :mad:)

I’m very conflicted about my boss because she’s a very nice woman (to me) has my back all of the time and keeps getting me raises

But also her husband is a cop and her phone case is a flowery thin blue line American flag :chloe:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oh no! Woman who's nice to you also loves her husband.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm usually a really no-issues flyer.

But not on this day. This storm created tornados shortly after our narrow escape.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't judge her too harshly, there's like a 40% chance she's a victim of domestic violence.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

She should have a phone case that says my husband is a bastard

I get hating cops as a general concept but hating a coworker for supporting her husband is I dunno man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

She should have a phone case that says my husband is a bastard

I get hating cops as a general concept but hating a coworker for supporting her husband is I dunno man

Yeah, just never ask them to dogsit.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I didn’t say I hate her, also lmao at how quickly y’all go from gently caress police they’re the scum of the earth to “well now hold on”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

T-Square posted:

I didn’t say I hate her, also lmao at how quickly y’all go from gently caress police they’re the scum of the earth to “well now hold on”

I made a joke about cops committing domestic violence and then a joke about how often they kill dogs.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I made a joke about cops committing domestic violence and then a joke about how often they kill dogs.

Not you, the three other people that immediately jumped on me for merely suggesting that someone who’s married to a cop and has thin blue line gear might not be a great person outside of their work persona

E: Well, two, but cmon that’s not a very hot take in this thread by any stretch

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

well I'm of the opinion there are no great people myself included so

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Counterpoint: My dog is a great person.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

well I'm of the opinion there are no great people myself included so

Some are definitely worse than others though. And cops are pretty loving high on the list of not being great..

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Counterpoint: My dog is a great person.

Hope they never bark at a cop.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

T-Square posted:

Not you, the three other people that immediately jumped on me for merely suggesting that someone who’s married to a cop and has thin blue line gear might not be a great person outside of their work persona

E: Well, two, but cmon that’s not a very hot take in this thread by any stretch

I wasn't having the biggest crack at you but I'm pretty firmly in the not othering people camp on 99% of things.

Its ok for you to be friends with the nice lady.

I'm friends with plenty of people who's political views I disagree with. I've dated people who's views I didn't agree with. It's ok to be nice and friendly with people you don't 100% see eye to eye with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm sorta on the opposite side. I deal with, in a friendly manner, a lot of people whose politics I disagree with, and I enjoy a lot of our conversations, but I wouldn't consider any of them friends.

Also, just someone married to a cop is either not smart, or willing to be married to someone significantly dumber than them and neither is something I'd want in a boss.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've flown a lot during COVID than I care to admit, and after flying back home on Monday night I have never heard as much coughing on a flight than that one. Woo yay no mask mandate :sigh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s done. We cancelled everything and booked a nice hotel in town for our ‘getaway.’ Probably going to eat at least some cost, but gently caress it.

Kinda relieved not to gently caress w delays and poo poo. We have precheck but we’ve had two separate friends and their families get stuck for 1-2 days in different cities in the past couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

T-Square posted:

GUYS YOU WERE ON MY SIDE BEFORE

GUYS