Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

O'Leary is pretty clearly openly gay? They hint at it a lot, but I also feel like they basically say it outright at least a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They only hint at it, they never openly states it. And it's clear that her colleagues doesn't know about it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I love What We Do In The Shadows, but I do agree that season 3 wasn't as sharp as the first two. I think what bothered me with it is the same thing that bothered me with the return of the Greater Wellington Area vampire crew. The vampires became a big deal in the vampire community. It's funnier when they're just a bunch of morons stumbling around their respective territory. I love Viago, Deacon, and Vladislav, but I like them as the vampires who enjoy flatting together rather than being big deals in the vampire council. The same with Lazlo, Nadja, and Nandor. When they're just morons, you can have characters like Simon the Devious come around and boss them around.

Colin can be a vampire council member, though. Because Colin Robinson can do no wrong in that show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that this is back tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this! posted:

There's been so much great television this year :stwoon:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good, things have been tough lately and stupid sexy vampires are exactly what I need right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

What

I thought we were still like 2 months away, this is splendid news.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Aaaaaa I’m so excited :neckbeard:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

O'Leary is pretty clearly openly gay? They hint at it a lot, but I also feel like they basically say it outright at least a couple of times.

Just watched season 2, and really the only thing anyone says is O'leary's mom saying she was on the softball team and never had any boys come over, just girls.

Maybe they get more direct in later seasons, but haven't seen those yet.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just watched season 2, and really the only thing anyone says is O'leary's mom saying she was on the softball team and never had any boys come over, just girls.

Maybe they get more direct in later seasons, but haven't seen those yet.

There's nothing direct but they do keep implying that O'Leary is gay (and it helps that the actor that plays her is gay)

Wellington Paranormal SE1E6 posted:

MINOGUE: What about her over there, black t-shirt. She a zombie?
O'LEARY: No, I think she's just a lesbian.
MINOGUE: You always seem to be able to pick them, O'Leary
O'LEARY: (looking at camera) Well I don't know...

EDIT: The actor has said in an interview that she thinks it's pretty obvious that her character is gay, but I'm not sure how much of that is just how it feels when her real life is bleeding into her often improvised character.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 12, 2022

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's nothing direct but they do keep implying that O'Leary is gay (and it helps that the actor that plays her is gay)

EDIT: The actor has said in an interview that she thinks it's pretty obvious that her character is gay, but I'm not sure how much of that is just how it feels when her real life is bleeding into her often improvised character.

Yeah, the joke is definitely that the audience is very much aware that O'Leary's a lesbian and she's doing the absolute least amount of work "hiding" it, but somehow none of the other characters have figured it out. It persists to season 4:

S4E2 posted:

O'LEARY: "Look, I mean, how do they define 'virgin?'"
MAAKA: "Well, they say, 'those who hath not lain with the opposite sex.'"
(O'Leary looks directly into the camera and nods)
O'LEARY: "Well, mechanically speaking—"
MAAKA: "By that definition, then?"
O'LEARY: "—I'm a 'virgin.'" (with finger quotes, then another glance at the camera)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So Our Flag Means Death was totally skunked at the Emmys, not even a SFX nod for the excellence that is Blackbeard's beard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

He makes Thor the himbo he should be in Ragnarok.

I mean he always WAS a himbo in the MCU to some extent, he just leans into it in Ragnarok.

Someone somewhere once summed up the first movie as "Two geeky scientists and a ditzy blonde save the world".

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Jet Jaguar posted:

So Our Flag Means Death was totally skunked at the Emmys, not even a SFX nod for the excellence that is Blackbeard's beard.

Yeah I really wasn’t expecting anything but one nomination would’ve been cool. I think HBO Max put them up for a ton of things for consideration too? (is that how it works? idk)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not necessarily a reference to her being gay, but I love O'Leary's look to camera in the first episode when Minogue says they've always had a Mulder/Scully sexual tension vibe going between them. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lazlo going for the Lucky Pierre.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
A solid start to the season. I look forward to more adventures with old and new friends alike. And Boy.

OK not Boy. Put the nail gun down please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the creature that crawled out of the corpse of their dead friend Colin Robinson might be specifically after something in the walls :tinfoil:

I laughed so much at "He's giving me little kisses! :haw:" followed by the shot of the raccoon trying to claw and bite her face off :allears:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jerusalem posted:

I think the creature that crawled out of the corpse of their dead friend Colin Robinson might be specifically after something in the walls :tinfoil:

I agree completely.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I laughed so much at "He's giving me little kisses! :haw:" followed by the shot of the raccoon trying to claw and bite her face off :allears:

it’s the giant raccoon broodmother, he’s trying to help free it! :haw:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Quite the reset. Still good stuff, but bit bummed the first ten minutes were all about nullifying last season's finale.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The World Inferno posted:

Quite the reset. Still good stuff, but bit bummed the first ten minutes were all about nullifying last season's finale.

It's a comedy that has to be very careful about its budget: special effects in addition to multiple sets and filming locations and separate casts would have been incredibly expensive. The primary focus of the show has always been the interaction between the members of the ensemble cast. While it would have been decidedly ambitious to have spent a few episodes seeing all of their adventures play out independently, I just don't think you're going to get the magic of Jackie Daytona a second time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The indignant Goth son pissed off at this dude having the best time with his square family was fantastic :allears:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gosh darn it show have Nandor and Guillermo kiss already I've been waiting for YEARS!! :argh:

I really do hope Nandor's last living wife ends up happy, but I just don't think she'll find that happiness with Nandor if the main thing she cares about in a partner is "intellect".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good episodes, but I hope they quickly get past the thing that crawled out of the dead corpse of Colin Robinson and make him an actual character again. Feels like a voice is missing here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

The indignant Goth son pissed off at this dude having the best time with his square family was fantastic :allears:

Ohh, I thought they were some rather longing looks he was giving Nandor. :sweatdrop:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jerusalem posted:

I got real homesick when he was talking about his trip to Wisconsin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Ohh, I thought they were some rather longing looks he was giving Nandor. :sweatdrop:

I hope he got excited first because he figured out Nandor was a vampire (perhaps because Nandor dropped a subtle hint by saying something like,"I am a vampire") and just got increasingly more disappointed/annoyed that Nandor wasn't some dark, brooding figure draped in black and creeping through the night.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I hope he got excited first because he figured out Nandor was a vampire (perhaps because Nandor dropped a subtle hint by saying something like,"I am a vampire") and just got increasingly more disappointed/annoyed that Nandor wasn't some dark, brooding figure draped in black and creeping through the night.

Oh this is exactly what happened, yes. He’s Guillermo’s whole story in a nutshell.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

Atlas Hugged posted:

I got real homesick when he was talking about his trip to Wisconsin.

I loved when Kayvan Novak was doing double accent duty. Adding the Wisconsin accent on top of the Nandor accent was so loving great.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

That reminds me of the Cloak of Duplication episode where he does everyone’s voices. So awesome :buddy:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Was baby Colin Robinson just reciting the numbers of pi

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Was baby Colin Robinson just reciting the numbers of pi

First 4 numbers were 3141, so yes! What a… boring thing to know. Uh oh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He was definitely feeding on someone too at one point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The creature that crawled out of their dead friend Colin Robinson has also convinced Laszlo to constantly watch that awful home renovation show as well :thunk:

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The creature that crawled out of their dead friend Colin Robinson has also convinced Laszlo to constantly watch that awful home renovation show as well :thunk:

Matt Berry says that's just because he wants to gently caress the brothers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BarbarousBertha posted:

Matt Berry says that's just because he wants to gently caress the brothers.

Both things can be true!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Eh, I don't know; that first episode honestly felt like the weakest episode in the entire series. It felt like a clip show ("Oh boy, this last year was crazy! Here's a quick look at what happened") with a framing device of the house breaking down and they need money. I do enjoy the Blade night club is obviously an open door for Donal Logue to come back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1547596595931164677
It eventually got changed but E! was doing Matt Berry dirty with their headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Jesus Christ that is a clickbaity as gently caress headline even setting aside what a hosed up thing it is to say about an actor in the first place. They knew exactly what they were doing with that headline.