Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
It’s definitely about knee-jerk anger toward the new and scary thing. Even the “I get in the car and drive without stopping” crowd is never going 1000 miles in a single leg.

Vegetable posted:

We’re being a bit disingenuous here — it obviously isn’t just about the range but also about the availability and quickness of chargers/gas stations. We’ve been slightly dissuaded from a few road trips because of how our vehicle might struggle to find a charger on certain routes. It’s not a big deal for us but some people don’t like worrying about that sort of thing.

Increasing interoperability between Tesla and CCS chargers will bridge some of that gap for a lot of current owners, but this is a good point. I think, assuming no significant GOP/oil conglomerate interference, that an EV will be a viable option for almost anyone within 5-10 years. Charging speed will increase too, but I think we’ll see more L2 and “slow fast” charging in remote areas first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think possibly in theory you can get a Ford 3L diesel with a 36 gallon tank that will do 1000 highway miles but I sort of doubt it’s ever been done.

Let’s be honest and take off at least 100 miles for rolling coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

"I need to set a high enough bar to where I don't have to worry about any product ever reaching it."

My car claims a 350mi range and I don't care what it actually gets because I have to piss or eat before I run it down.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vegetable posted:

We’re being a bit disingenuous here — it obviously isn’t just about the range but also about the availability and quickness of chargers/gas stations. We’ve been slightly dissuaded from a few road trips because of how our vehicle might struggle to find a charger on certain routes. It’s not a big deal for us but some people don’t like worrying about that sort of thing.

I tried to plan a route to visit my sister in North Dakota using ABRP and it basically just shrugged and said "no". Yes, infrastructure is improving, but even just driving up I-5 into Oregon would involve hitting up a Chargepoint L2 in a Walmart.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Where you are you L2 charging on I-5, I've driven from Reno to Portland in a Mach-E GT without charging at anything about 350kw EAs

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't know why the gas station chains haven't just gone and like, thrown even 1 or 2, 50kw chargers at every shop to keep EV business coming in to buy beef jerky and lotto tickets. I mean "ha ha why would oil companies encourage EVs" aside, companies like shell have their own branded ev charging stations anyways, why give up all that charleston chew and a coffee money to walmarts and stuff?

EDIT: that was really the only annoying part of the EV road trip I did last month, all the charging stops were well off the highway at strip malls and walmarts and stuff, some a bit of a jog.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Speaking of OPD and Polestar, mine just updated to P2.2 and I’m in love with the fix that prevents jerkiness when transitioning from cruise control back to one-pedal mode.

I’m less in love with CarPlay but that’s mostly because it and Android Automotive overlap for things like directions (too addicted to the driver display map!) and text messages (don’t want Siri listening all the time, and she can’t be summoned with the wheel button either). Most of the deficiencies re: turning stuff off to avoid that overlap, are on Apple’s end, so eh.

You can keep the driver map while using CarPlay by using the Android Auto app so that seems like a good compromise if you don’t need Waze.

I’ve gotten so used to hitting the pedal before turning off cruise control I haven’t noticed that fix yet. I’m guessing it just turns OPD off for a moment?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's almost like you people have never heard of adult diapers.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

It's almost like you people have never heard of adult diapers.

Oh, there's a whole new page.

You know what, I'm just gonna let this post stand.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know why the gas station chains haven't just gone and like, thrown even 1 or 2, 50kw chargers at every shop to keep EV business coming in to buy beef jerky and lotto tickets. I mean "ha ha why would oil companies encourage EVs" aside, companies like shell have their own branded ev charging stations anyways, why give up all that charleston chew and a coffee money to walmarts and stuff?

EDIT: that was really the only annoying part of the EV road trip I did last month, all the charging stops were well off the highway at strip malls and walmarts and stuff, some a bit of a jog.

Tesla actually managed to do this right most of the time, at least the places I've checked on my roadtrip routes. West Wendover is a good example. Charging at EA can add about 10 minutes to your drive vs the Supercharger. That adds up over the course of a day long trip.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/Edmunds_Test/status/1547761524206231554?s=20&t=SuX_Elvbd6ZtSwHcJ7N5IQ

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone else noticed their M3 getting worse about aggressive unnecessary breaking while using cruise control since the last update?
Today for example - sitting at speed, closest car was ~10 car lengths ahead and not breaking/slowing - car suddenly slams on it's brakes, scrubs ~20MPH and nearly gets
me rear-ended.
My thumb drive died last week or I would have it on video. It's happened multiple times in the last month.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Darchangel posted:

Very rigorous.

(I didn't want this post to just get passed by.)

I was afraid it flew over the threads head but you saved it, thank you goonfriend

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fully sick

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Ioniq5 N kitted out with bodywork to resemble a lancia rally hatch would be freakin cool

E: whoa holy poo poo :swoon:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/hyundai-ioniq-5-dons-lancia-delta-inspired-martini-racing-livery-187005.html

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 15, 2022

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Tiny Timbs posted:

You can keep the driver map while using CarPlay by using the Android Auto app so that seems like a good compromise if you don’t need Waze.
For sure, I omitted the part where I was hoping CarPlay would somehow, magically, mean “exactly the Google Maps app on my phone, but on the car” (ie less limited than the AAOS GMaps). Besides the much nicer music interface, that was kinda all I wanted out of CarPlay.

quote:

I’ve gotten so used to hitting the pedal before turning off cruise control I haven’t noticed that fix yet. I’m guessing it just turns OPD off for a moment?
Kinda? Only drove a bit since the update but IIRC it did begin to decelerate almost immediately if I left my foot off, but it was significantly more gentle for at least the first few seconds. Pushing on the accelerator gently to find the current speed’s neutral spot didn’t take long and the transition just felt natural instead of the prior jolt of regen.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I activated it and the Bolt started liking 5 year old instagram posts :v:

Wait, I need clarification.

Are these five year old Instagram posts, or Instagram posts made by five year olds?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SchrodingersCat posted:

Wait, I need clarification.

Are these five year old Instagram posts, or Instagram posts made by five year olds?
Creep Mode cares not for such distinctions.
It's almost Muskian in its elegance.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 15, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think possibly in theory you can get a Ford 3L diesel with a 36 gallon tank that will do 1000 highway miles but I sort of doubt it’s ever been done.

Or a 20 year old Skoda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPShT1DFSI

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Oh look it's Misha!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
IMO, the actual draw of "thousand mile battery" is 100% to do with all the horror stories of non-Tesla charging locations always being broken while showing up with a 10/10 rating in PlugShare or whatever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Roadie posted:

IMO, the actual draw of "thousand mile battery" is 100% to do with all the horror stories of non-Tesla charging locations always being broken while showing up with a 10/10 rating in PlugShare or whatever.

I actually missed how the conversation started, the Aptera is supposed to have a 1000 mile battery option.

Although tbh I doubt they'll actually be able to fit such a big battery in.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know why the gas station chains haven't just gone and like, thrown even 1 or 2, 50kw chargers at every shop to keep EV business coming in to buy beef jerky and lotto tickets.

Ionity have been building their DC chargers at gas stations here, but Ionity is super giga expensive anyway so...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hypermiler bullshit like taping panel gaps doesn’t count

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wonder how much range you'd get out of a ~300 mile EV driving at a constant 20 mph or whatever is the most efficient

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps their position isn't actually rational and defies any reasonable explanation. It's just another way of saying, "They're new and different and I don't understand them so I don't like them."

:emptyquote:

I encounter this PoV at work pretty much continually, and it drives me absolutely bonkers. With a car I can understand it somewhat since its a major personal purchase and not every car buyer is a car person, but holy gently caress learn to adapt to new things. It makes you a better person.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hypermiler bullshit like taping panel gaps doesn’t count
Does driving a whole lap of Nurburgring at full throttle count?

SlowBloke posted:

Oh look it's Misha!

Yes it is!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sonic Dude posted:

It’s definitely about knee-jerk anger toward the new and scary thing. Even the “I get in the car and drive without stopping” crowd is never going 1000 miles in a single leg.

Musk actually made a good tweet about why trying to get much more than 300 miles to a charge is a stupid goal awhile back.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

For me I think the ideal max range is being able to drive 80 mph for 2 hours doing 80-10 SoC in the winter and rain or whatever is worst. Probably raining and 33 degrees or dry and 0 degrees or something.

Just eyeballing the numbers I bet that's probably somewhere in the vicinity of the 405 mile EPA range of the regular Model S.

To Tesla road trippers: do you try and arrive at 10%? In the Mach it didn't matter as much because it can't hit the >200 kW that Teslas can at low SoC so arriving with very low SoC mattered a lot less. Most of the time I'd just charge to 70 or 80% even if it meant I was estimated to arrive at the next charger with 25 or 30% or whatever.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I try to arrive at 0%.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Risky but a big payoff if you can pull it off consistently

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
A regular size sedan or crossover EV with 1000mi of EPA range would, with current tech, weigh like 8000lbs and contain like 65k worth of battery cells. It isn't going to happen.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

bird with big dick posted:

Risky but a big payoff if you can pull it off consistently

Nah, the estimated remaining charge is very accurate and you can adjust your speed to burn more or less electrons and there is a buffer beyond 0%.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

To Tesla road trippers: do you try and arrive at 10%? In the Mach it didn't matter as much because it can't hit the >200 kW that Teslas can at low SoC so arriving with very low SoC mattered a lot less. Most of the time I'd just charge to 70 or 80% even if it meant I was estimated to arrive at the next charger with 25 or 30% or whatever.
I was charging to 80% on my last roadtrip, you're saving what, 3, maybe 5 minutes tops? On top of that there was an issue with one of the superchargers I stopped at, like hell I'm gonna show up to one on a razor thin margin. That extra % can get you to another supercharger/destination charger.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Musk actually made a good tweet about why trying to get much more than 300 miles to a charge is a stupid goal awhile back.

I hate to give him credit for saying a reasonable thing, so I won’t. I choose to believe some sort of moderately-intelligent raccoon happened upon his Twitter account and sent that.

I could maybe see 500 miles as a reasonable cap, as battery tech improves. That’s 6ish hours at highway speed, and by that point almost everyone has some biological need (food, bathroom, eyes can’t focus anymore because you’ve been staring at the road, etc.) and can stop for 20 minutes. That also requires charging to be widely available and generally a bit faster than today.

I don’t doubt that we’ll get there eventually. Modern electric cars are only a few decades old, they’ve only been taken seriously as a non-speciality vehicle for a single decade or less, and gasoline has had 100+ years of pretty consistent improvement.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Eyes Only posted:

A regular size sedan or crossover EV with 1000mi of EPA range would, with current tech, weigh like 8000lbs and contain like 65k worth of battery cells. It isn't going to happen.

It would also take a shitload of time to charge, like days on L1.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The person driving 500 miles with no breaks isn’t going to charge for only 20 minutes. They’re the kind of idiot that wants to take it to 100% so they can drive for another 500 miles non-stop. And I think that’s why they don’t like EVs, they want to drive for as long as possible and stop to refuel as quickly as possible.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I do now.

The Model S trip computer had a nasty habit of under-estimating energy required for the next trip. After twice having to turn around mid-leg and go back to the charging station to charge back to what we left with the first time +10%, we got into the habit of not leaving until it said we'd get in with 20% on the battery.

That car had about a 240 mile range. Our new (2019) Model 3 has a 300+ mile range, and the computer does a much better job estimating what we're going to arrive with, so we eventually started trusting it more, and now it's less of a panic if it says we're going to arrive with 12%. Unless it's very windy or cold, we just pull out when it tells us to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was thinking on the commute to work today that the “only charge to 90% or you destroy your battery” thing is some hot bullshit wrt estimated range

I think I’d prefer they just call that 100%

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Was thinking on the commute to work today that the “only charge to 90% or you destroy your battery” thing is some hot bullshit wrt estimated range

I think I’d prefer they just call that 100%

I feel like GM does that, but I think I prefer Tesla's approach of being more upfront with yo, this is available to tap into sometimes, just don't overuse it. Especially when my daily commute is 50 mi at most and charging to 80% is a non issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

1 or 2 50kw chargers would be worse than nothing, since it's not good enough for long distance travel, but might make it look like the situation doesn't need to be improved.
Heck, even the charging deal between GM/Pilot/EVgo is lackluster, since they said something like 2000 chargers at 500 locations. That's 4 per, which is not enough. There should be a minimum of 8, with 2 completely isolated systems of 4.

Truck stops are great locations for EV chargers, as are large, but comparatively smaller stations like wawa/sheets/etc, but your random exxon is just not built for a 30-45min customer experience. Your average gas station bought exactly enough land to fit the number of fuel dispensers the market research recommended, plus whatever number of parking spots are required by code. Regardless of the appetite the franchisee might have for EV chargers, the facility generally can't support them.

I want a sandwich, a drink, a bathroom, and a canopy.