Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I picked up Dawncaster and it's pretty fun, but it uses terms without explaining what the hell they are. Like what is "Buried"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CainFortea posted:

I picked up Dawncaster and it's pretty fun, but it uses terms without explaining what the hell they are. Like what is "Buried"?
From the main menu, in the bottom left, click the 2nd button from the bottom, looks like 3 cards, then in the lower right click "keywords"

Buried specifically is "Removes the top card(s) of your deck from the game."

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Are there any goon presence in any of the mobile 4x strategy games like Rise of Kingdoms or any of the other clones?

I kind of get that they're usually pretty pay to win but I've been enjoying some longer term strategy games lately and maybe I can still have fun with it regardless.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are there any goon presence in any of the mobile 4x strategy games like Rise of Kingdoms or any of the other clones?

I kind of get that they're usually pretty pay to win but I've been enjoying some longer term strategy games lately and maybe I can still have fun with it regardless.

Which of the X's are in rise of kingdoms exactly?

Never understood how these games got bucketed with civ and moo.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

leper khan posted:

Which of the X's are in rise of kingdoms exactly?

Never understood how these games got bucketed with civ and moo.

Kinda all of them actually. Though "Expanding" seems to be limited to alliances claiming territory. You're kind of stuck in a single Clash of Clans style town (which can move around I guess).

Honestly I haven't really gotten that far so it might get miserable soon. Who knows.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just got an invite to a closed beta test for Marvel Snap. Anyone heard of it? It's a card battle game. There are 3 Locations, in the middle of the board with abilities that are revealed over time. You can only have 4 cards at any given location to add to the total strength of the location. You get 6 turns to play your cards and try to have the highest strength to control 2 of the 3 Locations before the end of the 6th round. Every round you get Energy - 1 on turn 1, 2 on turn 2, etc - to play your cards. Each card has a cost, strength, and ability. Cards are played face down, then once both players have gone the cards are revealed and points tallied. The person with the highest scores in 2 of the 3 Locations at the end of round 6 wins. It goes really quick, if you knew what you were doing you could end a game in about 3-5 minutes. I don't know if it's PVP only or if there will be a PVE campaign or what. You can "upgrade" cards but its all visual, but the act of upgrading unlocks new cards. I'm not far enough to upgrade anything beyond what the tutorial forces you to do. I'm hesitant to invest any time into an open beta because I assume I'll get wiped at some point, but I'll probably give it an install once it's available for real.

https://www.marvelsnap.com

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

New Leaf posted:

I just got an invite to a closed beta test for Marvel Snap. Anyone heard of it? It's a card battle game. There are 3 Locations, in the middle of the board with abilities that are revealed over time. You can only have 4 cards at any given location to add to the total strength of the location. You get 6 turns to play your cards and try to have the highest strength to control 2 of the 3 Locations before the end of the 6th round. Every round you get Energy - 1 on turn 1, 2 on turn 2, etc - to play your cards. Each card has a cost, strength, and ability. Cards are played face down, then once both players have gone the cards are revealed and points tallied. The person with the highest scores in 2 of the 3 Locations at the end of round 6 wins. It goes really quick, if you knew what you were doing you could end a game in about 3-5 minutes. I don't know if it's PVP only or if there will be a PVE campaign or what. You can "upgrade" cards but its all visual, but the act of upgrading unlocks new cards. I'm not far enough to upgrade anything beyond what the tutorial forces you to do. I'm hesitant to invest any time into an open beta because I assume I'll get wiped at some point, but I'll probably give it an install once it's available for real.

https://www.marvelsnap.com

I think this is the one Ben Brode, the Hearthstone guy, moved on to.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

From the main menu, in the bottom left, click the 2nd button from the bottom, looks like 3 cards, then in the lower right click "keywords"

Buried specifically is "Removes the top card(s) of your deck from the game."

Thank you! I kept seeing enemy cards with "interupt" and couldn't figure out wtf it did.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Cynic Jester posted:

He is the guy that shows up in the trailer yes. I'd get on the ground floor of this

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For what it's worth there's a Marvel Snap thread here.

It does seem like a pretty interesting game, but it sounds like the grind is absolutely awful. Also the cards are separated into pools, but you get access to the pools linearly, so you have to completely empty the current pool to get access to the next one. Results in a weird situation where you could go up against an opponent using cards it's literally impossible for you to have access to yet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Arzaac posted:

For what it's worth there's a Marvel Snap thread here.

It does seem like a pretty interesting game, but it sounds like the grind is absolutely awful. Also the cards are separated into pools, but you get access to the pools linearly, so you have to completely empty the current pool to get access to the next one. Results in a weird situation where you could go up against an opponent using cards it's literally impossible for you to have access to yet.

Wow I thought I was in on the ground floor.. Closed beta has been going on for months, at least May.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, they've definitely been running closed beta for way too long. They even got some streamers to hype it up like, 2 months ago? Which is a bit wasted hype when the general public still doesn't have access to it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arzaac posted:

It does seem like a pretty interesting game, but it sounds like the grind is absolutely awful.

Cynic Jester posted:

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. :v:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been playing it. The gameplay is decent and the games are fast, but the card acquisition system is just loving idiotic and probably going to kill the game before it even actually releases.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So what are corruptions in Dawncaster? The keyword list doesn't tell you what a corruption is, just that the corrupted keyword is triggered when there are 3 corruptions.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. :v:

I was about to say the same thing. The legendary in the first ten packs per expansion and duplicate protection of hearthstone came in after Brode.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CainFortea posted:

So what are corruptions in Dawncaster? The keyword list doesn't tell you what a corruption is, just that the corrupted keyword is triggered when there are 3 corruptions.

there's corruption and corrupted entries, corruptions are cards with negative effects to their owner, so like vile wounds, glimmer, etc. you can get one by stealing the golden idol or the altar donations, gives you "greed" in your deck.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

All the cards that have the corruption type (check the bottom of any card for its type). They have a dark gray card frame and mostly have negative effects when drawn. Forbidden fruit is the most benign of the lot. There is a subcategory of corruptions called sins named after the classic biblical ones which are especially nasty. There's quite a few cards, enemies and opportunities that will add corruptions to your deck, both permanently or temporarily.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oh, so like the spiderlings.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mystic Messenger?

Oops I asked this a month ago, thank you!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beartaco posted:

Oops I asked this a month ago, thank you!

:cheerdoge:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dawncaster is great. Feels less deckbuildery than StS, has some cool mechanics and keywords, and the portrait orientation is HUGE for ease of play.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dawncaster is great. Feels less deckbuildery than StS, has some cool mechanics and keywords, and the portrait orientation is HUGE for ease of play.

Yeah I'm enjoying it as well

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Played one game of Dawncaster, died pretty early to a bleed-spamming bandit boss but I think I'm hooked. If you liked StS or Night of the Full Moon, definitely pick this one up.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Standingstoic posted:

What're your thoughts on the Kishi so far? I have a couple games in mind for controller use, so maybe we can share notes a lil.

Gunfire Rebornis a shooter, but also kinda my point of interest in the controller, very slick game, just a little tricky to do fine aiming on a screen. Very similar to borderlands, lots of spongy enemies with weak points and shields and elemental resists. I expect much more accessible with some sticks.

Any genre specific stuff you like? I play a lot of phone stuff and playtest a lot of chaff, so I can occasionally dig up some diamonds in the rough.
My biggest complaint with the Kishi v1 is the face buttons. My D pad will often go diagonal right when I press down and the other buttons don't mash so nice. Start button is in the weirdest place.
I haven't had a chance to check out everything since a lot of those were paid and one of them plays in portrait when the Kishi is locked to landscape, and I highly doubt that one free platformer game has bindings to play it tate mode.
I did just grab Gunfire Reborn, and the gameplay blend of Borderlands and Ziggurat/Tower of Guns had me losing track of time as I learned the first and second areas. This is a must buy if you have a USB controller. I was waiting for something indie to replace Borderlands with and this being a good Android game is a huge bonus. Frame rate locked at 30 for me and it handled the bits of slowdown from lots of particles really well, never making me feel really out of control. I need to try all the control schemes, it has gyro in there which is going to help a lot with stick aiming.
As for genre stuff, I tend to be picky when it comes to farming games and virtual pets, I haven't found anything to fill the void that Chao Garden and Viva Piņata left, but that genre doesn't really benefit from having a controller.
Recently, I tried to use Amazon Luna at a friend's place and those 4 free with Prime streaming games are mapped to Xbox layout and she only has 8bitdos so when we tried to play Skate Bird, things were a bit hosed. App doesn't let you remap buttons and neither did Skate Bird from what I could tell from the UI.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Herbotron posted:

Bleentoro: Factorio if it was a puzzle game. That should be enough to tell you if you're interested.

Just wanna say this is legit great

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beffica posted:

My biggest complaint with the Kishi v1 is the face buttons. My D pad will often go diagonal right when I press down and the other buttons don't mash so nice. Start button is in the weirdest place.
I haven't had a chance to check out everything since a lot of those were paid and one of them plays in portrait when the Kishi is locked to landscape, and I highly doubt that one free platformer game has bindings to play it tate mode.

I haven't tried the V1 but I have the V2 and the buttons are completely different and actually really nice and clicky. It sounds like the buttons on the original were one of the biggest changes with this new one.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Herbotron posted:

Bleentoro: Factorio if it was a puzzle game. That should be enough to tell you if you're interested.
The screenshots made me wish for The Incredible Machine to become a mobile game. I searched the store and can see some knock-offs.

edit: dang, I can see there was an iOS version over ten years ago from looking it up on Wikipedia. I guess that means it likely wouldn't even run on modern devices.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

The screenshots made me wish for The Incredible Machine to become a mobile game. I searched the store and can see some knock-offs.

edit: dang, I can see there was an iOS version over ten years ago from looking it up on Wikipedia. I guess that means it likely wouldn't even run on modern devices.

I spent hundreds of hours playing that on PC back in the 90s. Wish someone would port it to mobile.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey is the Android version of Dead Cells kept up to date with the PC version? I just bought it last night because I was bored and got a hankerin' and it's drat good and works well with the Kishi but wanted to make sure I wasn't playing a bunk version or something.

Edit: I do wish there was a cross save option though.. kinda sucks having to commit to either only playing it on the PC with the xbone pad or only playing it on my phone with the Kishi attached.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 19, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Knowing nothing about this, have you researched it?

I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could copy my savedata between the Steam and Android versions of Slay the Spire. On Ascension 20 for the Silent now!!!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

teethgrinder posted:

Knowing nothing about this, have you researched it?

I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could copy my savedata between the Steam and Android versions of Slay the Spire. On Ascension 20 for the Silent now!!!!

I have, there's a lot of reddit posts spanning the last 3 years addressing it so I wasn't sure if anything changed recently but it does not appear possible because usually the Android version is behind the PC client.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Into the Breach is now available on the play store, you will need a Netflix account to play it!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

explosivo posted:

Into the Breach is now available on the play store, you will need a Netflix account to play it!

Sweet, that's like the perfect mobile game. Now, related to the above convo on Dead Cells, want to see if can I get my PC unlocks onto my android phone for Into The Breach.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 20, 2022

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I've played enough to beat the first island and I can now say, the phone interface works great. So far, an A+ port. I'll be playing a lot of this on the bus.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Definitely seems like a great port so far, yeah. Quickly remembering I suck rear end at ITB though :gonk:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I got one of those really great Arcanist chain runs going in Dawncaster and good god this is dumb.

I just one shot the 666 health Balor.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anyone know how I could go about transferring my Dicey Dungeons save to another device? Usually you can just poke around in Android/data/app/.com.terrycavanaugh.diceydungeons and find the saves that way but the folder is just empty even though I definitely have progress in the game. I'm looking at the directory with root exploring enabled in Solid Explorer.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

I got one of those really great Arcanist chain runs going in Dawncaster and good god this is dumb.

I just one shot the 666 health Balor.

What rank are you in arcanist to do this?

Any tips for good combos? I'm struggling to beat the 3rd or 4th boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

NPR Journalizard posted:

What rank are you in arcanist to do this?

Any tips for good combos? I'm struggling to beat the 3rd or 4th boss

Not that high. I'm using Forcewand still, but it doesn't REALLY matter because eventually you'll remove all basic attacks from your deck. I like Fleeting Thoughts, even if I end up ditching it in the late game, and the fire aura. The weapon skill kinda sucks but innate immunity to burning is really handy in the final areas of the game.

To do it properly, you have to do a weird transition and pick up a couple of different talents at level up that synchronize.

The big early one to get Chain Arcanist up and running is Arcane Mastery: "Whenever you add a non-unique Magic Action to your deck, add a copy that costs no energy". If you can get that your 1st or 2nd level up you're on a great start.

The other strong common talent is Duplicity: "Whenever you add a card to your deck you already own, upgrade all copies 2 times. Spellfury is solid if you find it (free copy of the first magic spell you play in a turn), and then on the rarer side there's Thundering Strikes, which changes chain damage from 1 per stack to 2. It adds up fast. Also, of course, Greater Intelligence is always solid.

Pick up almost everything with Chain. There's a couple of enchantments you'll really wanna keep an eye out for. Arcane Coil summons a free chain lightning every turn which is okay, but like the bottom priority for enchantments. Electrosurge is the main one you'll want to look for, draw a free card every time you hit 3 chain. This combos with Stormbolt, which deals damage, chains, and if you've played a magic action right before it, summons 2 zaps. So you get a free draw for every time you play Stormbolt. And half of your Stormbolts are free because of Arcane Mastery. Twincasting is just Spellfury again, so you get a bunch of free cards every time you start playing cards. Then there's the usual winners, Conduit is great, Spellcoil adds a Jinx if you're in Flow and chains. Special shout outs to Spell Echo and Clarity. Cast Clarity, find a free Stormbolt. Cast Spell Echo, cast Clarity again, find a free Stormbolt again. Each of those is going to deal damage and add chain 3 times, which draws more cards which builds more chain... Twinlightning is solid, I usually end up picking up a couple of Zaps. They're meh but they're free and activate both Stormbolt and add up your counter to trigger Flow. Conduits are also always nice.

Once you have Arcane Mastery/Duplicity going, I then usually pick up a couple of Sageblasts. And then when I can, sacrifice the one that costs mana and keep the free one. It's not hard to get 50 base damage on them, and that's a GREAT 50 damage filler to start triggering Continuity/Flow.

I usually toss in just one or two siphon/dispel magics because they can be handy. Notably you end up spending the first part of the game running REAL lean. If there's no cards that fit into your "draw more cards and spend them for free and stack chain forever" build, just skip the draw entirely. You'll just end up having to burn a Campfire to remove it later.

There's a couple of cards that SEEM like they fit into this, but are instead complete trash. I've never had great luck with Purge, because if you're doing it right they'll never take a turn and thus never take damage at the end of their turn. Same with Flashfreeze. Lightning Bolt is really meh for randomized damage AND costing mana. Same for Gathering Storm. It's not bad to pick one up early but you'll wanna drop it later because it involves the fight going on for more than one turn. Call The Storm relies on focus, and we're too busy blowing poo poo up to gain focus. Chain Lightning is FINE, but it's a mana sink and ideally you're not spending mana here. Wild Storm is a total waste, it's 2 mana for 3 zaps. Stormbolt is 1 mana for stronger hit and 2 free zaps.

Besides that, I've bought some random red/green mana enchantments to imbue, Battle Vigor is weirdly great for this build. Take 1 mana and draw an extra card at the start of your turn. As you're essentially churning your deck looking for free spells, 1-2 damage per fight is fine. Rapid Reload is also weirdly effective as a ghetto version of Arcane Coil. Foresight is good for that deck churn, Storm Arrow can be weirdly hilarious if you get it going.

When it all comes together, you end up with 10 Stormbolts, half of which are free, some of which are at +8 or +10 or something insane, you're drawing cards left and right, playing AT LEAST two free stormbolts on the first turn, stacking chain up to at least 15 which is an extra 30 damage per hit, and then ending the chain with an 80 damage Sageblast.

The hard part is staying alive until you can get it rolling with such a thin deck, because anything NOT part of the chain/free spell/free draws can really slow you down. There's a weird transition point where you have all these spells that you've taken because you needed survivability or didn't have any better options, but now they're in the way of one or two shotting everything and making you take more damage per fight instead of less.