Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

If I'm out in the sun I usually wear a bandanna on my head because otherwise it absorbs a lot of heat, also you can soak it in water which keeps your head cool.

I do technically also have a two foot wide sombrero but it doesn't match any of my other clothes.

I have a straw Panama that makes me look a bit silly, but I don’t care, it stops the top of my head getting burnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scientastic posted:

I have a straw Panama that makes me look a bit silly, but I don’t care, it stops the top of my head getting burnt

I would definitely wear a slightly more normal hat if I could find one that fits my massive head. The sombrero doesn't fit either but I can still strap it to my head on aggregate.

But I would still just look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCPG0qqRW8

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 14, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1547649123439878147

"we've had twelve years of low growth under this government, it's the single biggest failure of this government"

wait, but

Jedit posted:

Welp, with the estimate that two thirds of deaths were preventable by good government action, that puts the Cameron/May/Johnson government officially ahead of the Hitler government for killing British people.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It breaks my heart that kieth, given he is an op, would never greenlight such genius campaign ginmicks as a "rishy - short on ideas"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/the-most-important-issues-facing-the-country

Look at that "The economy" number get big

LAB attack lines can be a wee predictable at times

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kiers economic plan can only be described as "the great leap downwards"

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/15/trump-johnson-morrison-is-the-era-of-leaders-of-bad-character-behind-us-at-last

An amusing editorial where the writer name drops Plato and Machiavelli in the first handful of paragraphs, and manages in doing so to make clear she has read and understood exactly neither of them.

loving journalists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least she admits at the start that she's all salt.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Kiers economic plan can only be described as "the great leap downwards"

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1547659609430564866?s=20&t=1x80CKYtw4YddkkBEmTj0w

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Have to hand it to Short King James Madison beating DeWitt Clinton despite a 28cm height disadvantage.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

crispix posted:

i've heard a lot of tories laying the ground for another round of austerity with a new leader - exactly the same talk pre-2010 budget

I can see this coming as well. The cosying up to Norman Lamont is a bit of a signal that recession is an acceptable way to curb inflation and restore the soundness of money which is important to those that happen to have it. That basically ignores that a lot of inflation is due to global factors and crushing UK demand won't change things one iota. What it will do is collapse tax revenue and that'll mean another round of cuts to public expenditure and belt tightening, ratcheting up even further on those of the Cameron years which have never really been loosened.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Is there anyway to download a video from twitter, I feel like I might need this video at the next election.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JoylessJester posted:

Is there anyway to download a video from twitter, I feel like I might need this video at the next election.

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everybody who still goes to labour conference after I lied about everything I got elected on thinks I'm doing a great job actually.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The real labour is listening to that nasal princes ham talk. I forgot how grating his voice is.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Microplastics posted:

smol bean counter sunak

ftfy

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Prince Andrew: BBC's Newsnight interview to be turned into a film

quote:

The movie, called Scoop, will dramatise how the show secured the interview, as well as the filming of it.

The behind-the-scenes negotiations will make "very thrilling drama", its writer Peter Moffat told film site Deadline.

"How was it that he decided it was a good idea to do a great big long interview with Emily Maitlis on the BBC?" added Moffat, who worked on BBC drama Criminal Justice and its US remake The Night Of, plus Silk, Your Honor, Undercover and 61st Street.

quote:

Deadline reported that Hugh Grant was "one of the unconfirmed names in the frame to portray the disgraced royal".

No I’m not. Never heard of it. https://t.co/G8opDMFoWB
— Hugh Grant (@HackedOffHugh) July 14, 2022

However, a spokesman for the film's producers said the casting process had not yet begun, and Grant's representatives said: "Hugh has never heard of this project."

lol

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
More rail strikes called by the RMT for August 18th and 20th.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All the liars that know I am lying say I'm great.

They aren't lying

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gambrinus posted:

That's the last time I use Airbnb though, absolute turd of a website.

Christ, yes. I gave up on AirBNB years ago. If you've driven six hours to be somewhere you actually have to be able to rely on your accommodation existing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus with hotels, you do get a social contract that you're not just going to show up and discover you're living in someone's house for the week.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him

*deep breath*

I agree with the Keith Starminster but encourage him to go further

*deeper breath*

what a loving weasel I hate him so much what a loving piece of poo poo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what a oval office

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him

*deep breath*

*deeper breath*

Agreed.

(I hate him)n as n -> ∞

Meanwhile, in Upside Down Land

(posted for the Fabriquote not the attached Guido bit)

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1547615246843424770?s=20&t=3p4AdikOKiEmabGdhKPLgw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao @ "this bigotry is bad, most people have very reasonable concerns about foreigners instead"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

fuctifino posted:

I also wanted to say thanks to the three here who thanked me for getting them on the legal medi :420: waggon. I get a massive buzz just knowing the difference that legal access makes to most people's lives, so it really has been my pleasure. And it's lovely hearing that some of you are already showing the way to people in your circles. That's what it's all about :)

It was really helpful, thank you!

There's a good chance my dad will need something for cancer pain relief in the next 12 months so I'm currently working hard to normalise it for my parents too.

RandomUserString
Jul 1, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peanut- posted:

Julie Holland, 61, who lives opposite the former vicarage owned by Stephanie Hawa, also 61, was also not sympathetic to the MP. Holland, who owns a cat called Boris, named after the prime minister, and a dog called Stanley, after Johnson’s father, said: ‘It’s a disgrace. If he had done that to my cat I would have done something about it. But, she added: “I’m still a supporter.”

lmao

Very strong "My Tesla came with mis-aligned panels, randomly exploded into flames, and tried to kill me by ramming into a fire-truck. Love the car" energy

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1547825472947437570?t=Ee1DqpOa0DCEczyOfv6OZg&s=19

Hahaha gently caress

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tesseraction posted:

Is he wrong though? If Labour don’t win the next election, it doesn’t matter what the Labour policies are, the country will continue to careen wildly to the right.

I would dearly love it if the majority of the population didn’t vote for right wing poo poo like turkeys voting for Christmas, but the reality is that while the Tories are in power, they will continue to entrench and legislate themselves into more and more powerful systematic advantage and make it even harder for genuinely left wing policies to be viewed as credible by the public.

The options are either: vote for Labour who are less good than they should be but better than the Tories, or disengage with voting and start sharpening the guillotine.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Scientastic posted:

f Labour don’t win the next election, it doesn’t matter what the Labour policies are, the country will continue to careen wildly to the right.

I don't see any evidence that voting for the current Labour party would even temporarily halt or reverse this.

Scientastic posted:

I would dearly love it if the majority of the population didn’t vote for right wing poo poo like turkeys voting for Christmas,

This isn't some inherent truth, several groups work very hard to make it so- including the sections of the Labour Party.

Scientastic posted:

disengage with voting and start sharpening the guillotine.

You can work to help solutions both inside and outside of the political system at the same time. Even inside the current system, Labour isn't the only option.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Scientastic posted:

Is he wrong though? If Labour don’t win the next election, it doesn’t matter what the Labour policies are, the country will continue to careen wildly to the right.

1) Then he should have made his case to be labour leader on what he actually planned to implement and given that rationale for doing so, not lied his arse off and then switched position as soon as he could get away from it. It’s bad from a democratic standpoint of betraying his electorate and from a practical standpoint of looking like a typical lying politician.

2) Lots of left-wing positions are popular. Not necessarily every single one, but things like rail nationalisation are continually looked upon very positively whenever there’s a public poll. There’s no need to back away from these kind of policies and doing so is in fact harmful.

3) Not offering a viable left-wing alternative seems to be the most likely thing to make everyone careen to the right. If Labour moves towards the right it gives the Tories the room to do the same as their arguments win, e.g. one you get everyone to say that austerity is necessary and part of good governance it’s easier to push for harder austerity.

4) Being the leader of a country is meant to include leading and finding ways to communicate your beliefs and goals to the public so that they support you. Kieth should be using his beloved focus groups to find out how best to change people’s minds and get them on bord with labour policies rather than finding out what they already believe so he can immediately change his policies to try and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

drat that model could be right after all

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Good, hope they all do that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What happens if he wins in two constituencies?

RandomUserString
Jul 1, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

The options are either: vote for Labour who are less good than they should be but better than the Tories, or disengage with voting and start sharpening the guillotine.

Is Labour better than the Tories, though? The current Labour Party under Starmer seems to be "Same policies as the Tories, but more efficiently executed".

Labour on Brexit

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/04/starmer-ends-labour-silence-on-brexit-as-he-rules-out-rejoining-single-market

Keir Starmer has thrown Labour back into the Brexit debate by ruling out any return to the single market or customs union, but arguing he could remove trade and travel barriers as prime minister because the EU would trust him.

But the Labour leader argued that the big questions over EU membership, notably over the single market, customs union and free movement of people, were “arguments of the past”, and could not be revisited.

Labour on Scottish independence referendum

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/01/labour-never-strike-deal-snp-keir-starmer-pledge

Keir Starmer will vow Labour will never deal with the Scottish National party and make it explicit his party would go into minority government rather than enter talks with nationalists, in a new effort to spike Conservative attacks on a “coalition of chaos”.

Unindicted war criminal Blair expresses support for Labour, which is the biggest indictment you can get for the current state of Labour

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/30/tony-blair-labour-recovery-new-party-keir-starmer

Tony Blair has dismissed the need for a new political party, saying Labour has “recovered” under Keir Starmer but needs a clearer sense of direction to win the next general election.

Labour's position on the rail strikes

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/20/keir-starmer-tells-labour-frontbench-they-should-not-join-rail-strike-pickets

Labour’s frontbenchers have been warned to stay away from picket lines on the eve of the biggest rail strike since 1989.

As staff get ready to take part in the RMT strike on Tuesday, Keir Starmer’s office told shadow cabinet members that to “show leadership” frontbenchers “should not be on picket lines”.

Labour on Israel-Palestine

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/28/keir-starmer-hosts-israeli-labor-party-in-charm-offensive-ahead-of-local-elections

Starmer has also shown an uncompromising attitude towards pro-Palestinian activism since he was elected leader. He said he did not accept the findings of an Amnesty International report that Israel was an apartheid state. Its report found there was “institutionalised and prolonged racist oppression of millions of people”.

Labour on NATO

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/11/jeremy-corbyn-will-not-have-labour-whip-restored-starmer-suggests

Jeremy Corbyn will not have the Labour whip restored while he continues to associate with the Stop the War coalition, Keir Starmer has suggested, saying it was “very clear” those who wanted to be Labour MPs had to be supporters of Nato and reject “false equivalence” between Nato and Russian aggression.

Labour on trans rights

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/01/gay-and-trans-rights-issues-divide-both-tories-and-labour

Yet the Guardian understands that voters in recent focus groups carried out by Labour have been horrified by the party’s struggle to answer questions such as whether a woman can have a penis.

Asked that question in a recent LBC phone-in, Starmer stuttered and stalled. “I’m not … I don’t think we can conduct this debate with … I don’t think that discussing this issue in this way helps anyone in the long run.”

Labour on the role and value of business and private companies

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/23/starmer-labour-will-partner-with-private-sector-and-take-advantage-of-brexit

Labour will seek to “reimagine the role of government” as a partner to the private sector and take advantage of the opportunities of Brexit, Keir Starmer will say in a speech on the economy.

Setting out his blueprint for future growth, the Labour leader will name six principles for the economy under a Labour government, starting with valuing the role of private companies as a partner to the state.

The Labour leader will also stress his backing for British business saying: “Britain cannot rise to the great challenges of the day without the innovation of business.”

Labour on Tony Blair

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/04/boris-johnson-would-not-deserve-an-honour-says-keir-starmer

Starmer also defended the awarding of a knighthood to Blair in the new year honours list, after a petition against the move surpassed 500,000 signatures.

Asked if Johnson was worthy of an honour, he told the audience in Birmingham: “No. I’m sorry, I do not think the prime minister has earned the right to have an honour. I do think Tony Blair has.”

Labour on immigration

quote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-59348755

In an agreement signed in July, the UK pledged to give France €62.7m (£54m) during 2021/22 to help tackle the issue.

The deal said the UK would help France increase police patrols along its coastline, boost aerial surveillance and increase security infrastructure at ports.

But speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Sir Keir said the deal had not been "strong enough".

"The home secretary repeatedly says in strong language what she is going to do about the immediate problem and delivers absolutely nothing," he added.

"You have got to do the work upstream otherwise you will never solve this problem."

RandomUserString fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 15, 2022

RandomUserString
Jul 1, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tesseraction posted:

*deep breath*

*deeper breath*

This amount of hate is still less hate than Starmer merits.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Labour: we'll stop your benefits competently.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

RandomUserString posted:

Is Labour better than the Tories, though? The current Labour Party under Starmer seems to be "Same policies as the Tories, but more efficiently executed".

Labour at least has some MPs that are good. No Tories are good. A Labour govt would theoretically have a slightly harder time passing heinous poo poo through parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

RandomUserString posted:

Jeremy Corbyn will not have the Labour whip restored while he continues to associate with the Stop the War coalition, Keir Starmer has suggested, saying it was “very clear” those who wanted to be Labour MPs had to be supporters of Nato and reject “false equivalence” between Nato and Russian aggression.

Is this the new line now? He can't be in the club because hes a secret Russian asset?

I hope they're 1 seat short of forming a government at the next election and when they ask him to rejoin Corbyn tells them to pound sand.