Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

S.J. posted:

What if they plan to divorce the time-mage aspects away from AST in preparation for making an actual Time Mage and just doubling down on the AST card theme?

How much time magic is even still there at this point? It's basically just Lightspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

How much time magic is even still there at this point? It's basically just Lightspeed.

Gravity has always been a Time Magic whenever a game had Time Mage as a job (FF5 and the Tactics saga, for example).

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

CJ posted:

I think Gunbreaker is a job that has a significantly better rotation at 90 compared to 80. It has the same problem as reaper where if you ever get downscaled it feels like your rotation withered into nothing.

Uh, it really doesn't. The rotations are almost identical, except you push one less Burst Strike so you have enough cart for Double Down, which itself has myriad problems, and you have to spend an oGCD slot after every Burst Strike to Hypervelocity, which isn't great on a tank.

The only genuine improvement was Heart of Corundum, as it and every other tank ability like it are great and feel good to press.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I ended up dropping Gunbreaker because of Double Down, I found if there were any blips in my rotation it made the lineups on my No Mercy burst window just drift further and further without taking a major DPS loss to get it back on track

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

For me, Gunbreaker feels slower and clunkier with three cartridges than it did with two. With two you'd be doing more filler Burst Strikes to not waste any, which to me felt more active. With three you're spending more time just doing your basic combo to fill them up.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
every expansion gives me a new favorite song, hell EW gave me two pretty much one of the other

not my favorite song but radz at han is also in my top ten and games and movies really gotta start stealing india's aesthetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEBvBOn9KZ8

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Had a really good haul in Copied Factory tonight. Got the entire fending set minus the headpiece, the 2B coffer and both pods.

I think I honestly prefer the fending set over 2B's.

Next up is Puppet's Bunker, so I can get the pieces I need to do a Vash cosplay for GNB.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Part of the reason I'm excited for glamor dresser space is the gear from alliance raids. It usually looks cool, but it's a pain to farm a particular piece or set. So I get into the habit of throwing it in the dresser, but given there's several dozen pieces each expansion, they eat up space quick.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Corbeau posted:

e: I'm trying to think of a class that feels better in EW compared to ShB. Well, except for BLM. Obviously. Most of the new stuff felt to me like pretty redundant buttons with flashy animations attached, and what good came from the expansion turnover was primarily in adding little bits of QoL to old buttons.

i've come to prefer EW MNK over ShB MNK after getting acclimated to the masterful blitz system, and i went from disliking ShB BRD to actually quite enjoying EW BRD, though i'm told old BRD mains have the opposite opinion on that. also as someone mentioned, while SCH didn't get any particularly big changes, it removed a ton of small jank elements that added up to make a huge difference

Roluth posted:

I'm beginning to think that the reason the Nier raids take so long is not because the bosses have too much HP, it's that the kind of people that do ADR above 80 aren't very good at the videogame. One of the reasons the Crystal Tower raids don't take all that long (aside from the gear advantage) is that the lvl 50 rotations are very simple. Feels like a lot of pubbies can't grok their 80 rotations. Either that, or because of the ADR ilvl cheese, people don't remember the raid when it comes up once in a blue moon.

Alegia doesn't take all that long because it's current and has relevant rewards, so the people playing it aren't just there to get easy XP.

the fundamental issue with alliance raids is that your contribution is a drop in the bucket. in four person or even eight person roulettes, if several people are bad at video games you can still make up some of the difference with your own performance. if 15 out of 24 people struggle with pressing 1-2-3 on their keyboards then a run might take 10, 15 or 20 minutes longer than it ought to and there's nothing you can do about it

maybe it's overly elitist of me, but every so often i see first-time unsync parties for shadowbringers msq dungeons and all i can think of is, it's gonna suck real bad when this person inflicts themselves on me during roulettes

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I think most of the time magic is setting up future healing. Stuff like Earthly Star, Horoscope, and even Neutral Sect and Celestial Intersection shields. You're looking into the future and setting up heals or preventing damage before it happens. Plus Gravity and Lightspeed of course.

It would be cool if there was a big, instant healing spell that forced you to spend a GCD or long cast time in the future. Like, a giant heal, that gave you a debuff that silences you for a few seconds when it wears off, unless you cast a 3 second cast time spell before then. So its like, future you healing past you.

Also, WAR is weird. It can basically solo 4-man dungeons. It is, bar none, the absolute best tank in the game for tanking huge amounts of trash. There is no better option for when you need someone to manage between 4-400 adds. So how come that situation NEVER comes up in raids? There is never a fight where you need to survive against a horde of adds for a while. There are DPS checks and healer checks, but there aren't many tank checks, and most of the ones that do exist are just tankbusters you invuln through.

I suppose if there ever was a situation like that, they'd need to nerf WAR or buff everyone else.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 15, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Andrew Verse posted:

For me, Gunbreaker feels slower and clunkier with three cartridges than it did with two. With two you'd be doing more filler Burst Strikes to not waste any, which to me felt more active. With three you're spending more time just doing your basic combo to fill them up.

Yes. It is personally annoying to me that they stuck the continuation thing on burst strike and gave it a slick animation and sound effect but then also made it to where I very rarely get to use burst strike.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hra Mormo posted:

Uh, it really doesn't. The rotations are almost identical, except you push one less Burst Strike so you have enough cart for Double Down, which itself has myriad problems, and you have to spend an oGCD slot after every Burst Strike to Hypervelocity, which isn't great on a tank.

The only genuine improvement was Heart of Corundum, as it and every other tank ability like it are great and feel good to press.

Double Down makes the rotation for me because it punishes you for doing it wrong. Without Double Down and 3 cartridges your resource basically doesn't matter and you can spend it whenever because it's so easy to get back to full for your burst window. The rotation has basically nothing to it when you take that out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A Moose posted:

I think most of the time magic is setting up future healing. Stuff like Earthly Star, Horoscope, and even Neutral Sect and Celestial Intersection shields. You're looking into the future and setting up heals or preventing damage before it happens. Plus Gravity and Lightspeed of course.

It would be cool if there was a big, instant healing spell that forced you to spend a GCD or long cast time in the future. Like, a giant heal, that gave you a debuff that silences you for a few seconds when it wears off, unless you cast a 3 second cast time spell before then. So its like, future you healing past you.

I suppose the thing with those spells for AST is that it's hard to tell if those are supposed to be 'time magic' or just divination, and if those are the same thing or not.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My favorite memory of Puppet's Bunker was running it for the first time and having some new friends in Discord explaining boss mechanics, and right after they finished explaining the lasers on the three flight units boss, one of them who had been through there before immediately screwed up the mechanic and wiped out one of the other alliances.

"[Player], we literally just finished explaining that mechanic for the new guy!"
"I'm sorry!"
Me: "Someone in one of the other alliances just complimented our aim in alliance chat."
"NOOOOOOOOO!" :gonk:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Yes. It is personally annoying to me that they stuck the continuation thing on burst strike and gave it a slick animation and sound effect but then also made it to where I very rarely get to use burst strike.

I guess it's just the animation and SFX, but Hypervelocity is really satisfying to hit considering it's just pressing Continuation again. Unironically can't wait for 7.0 when they add a Continuation to Double Down

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the only class I don't really feel is better feeling to play in EW than ShB is White Mage and that is just because I miss getting infinite MP. (Which is barely relevant but was fun in Bozja)

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

NIN felt a lot worse when Endwalker first launched but thankfully they fixed it up pretty quickly.

Unrelated, I haven't done much healing since... early stormblood, maybe (I did do some dungeons as sch in shadowbringers but I mostly leveled through pixie dailies), because I found the role a bit stressful. I recently gave Sage a shot and it clicked. Now that I've played it a fair amount I've come to the conclusion that healing is actually really easy and I've been worrying over nothing. Easier than tanking, honestly, because I don't feel like I have to know/remember the instance ahead of time to know how much to pull or position the boss.

Also: lasers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

at least endwalker finally gave white mage dps-neutral afflatus misery

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

at least endwalker finally gave white mage dps-neutral afflatus misery

I thought it was neutral in Shadowbringers, and it was only a loss at the start of Endwalker?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It was equal to 3 glares previously, of the four GCDs used to cast.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

im pretty sure it was always a dps loss in shadowbringers, considering how often i had to hear white mages talk about how much afflatus misery sucks over the years

theoretically afflatus misery is actually a dps gain over glare at level 80 now, too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

im pretty sure it was always a dps loss in shadowbringers, considering how often i had to hear white mages talk about how much afflatus misery sucks over the years

theoretically afflatus misery is actually a dps gain over glare at level 80 now, too

I've never understood that about FF14 healers. 'Oh no, I have a massive flashy nuke that only mostly refunds the GDCs I spent doing my actual job role, what a poo poo ability'

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

No Dignity posted:

I've never understood that about FF14 healers. 'Oh no, I have a massive flashy nuke that only mostly refunds the GDCs I spent doing my actual job role, what a poo poo ability'

According to 'most' FFXIV healer mains (as in, the ones that complain the most), OGCD heals are always enough to heal once you learn the fight, ergo why they keep asking either for more damage taken to the party(rarely) or for healers to have complex DPS rotations/Cleric Stance back (usually)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

In dungeons, at least, I pretty much never used Solace or Rapture outside of bosses through all of Shadowbringers, and it didn't seem like much had changed when I ran through leveling with WHM. It was something I burned between packs to charge up Misery for mass pulls, which is an odd feeling for what's supposed to be a central mechanic for your job.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dareon posted:

As long as we're theorycrafting, I want a mage tank. It even fits the DoT/debuff idea if you use Green Mage.

...I only want a mage tank because my main is heavily into magery for RP reasons, and the closest thing to magic tank is Gunbreaker. Or maybe Dark Knight.

Half of paladin is casting Holy and the Summon Sword.

Paladins the mage tank

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's been ages since they removed damage type synergy but I still want a new melee or tank that uses a blunt weapon like a mace or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Jesus what are they going to do to those jobs?

Corbeau posted:

Well, given precedent, delete as much uniqueness as possible for the sake of balance and to make room for more buttons in the next expansion. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt after the PvP rework, but that has fundamentally different pressures than PvE design.

e: I'm trying to think of a class that feels better in EW compared to ShB. Well, except for BLM. Obviously. Most of the new stuff felt to me like pretty redundant buttons with flashy animations attached, and what good came from the expansion turnover was primarily in adding little bits of QoL to old buttons.

DRG is probably gonna be reducing buttons and probably streamlining Jumps in some way to address animation lock.
With how tight DRG’s rotation is and how many expansions that rotation has gone mostly unchanged, I could see them being worried that removing any step from its combo being controversial.
The problem is that the job has kinda reached a hard cap in terms of how many buttons it can have before it becomes basically unplayable for controller users, so removing buttons is kinda necessary so there will be room for it to evolve in future expansions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vitamean posted:

it's been ages since they removed damage type synergy but I still want a new melee or tank that uses a blunt weapon like a mace or something

Warrior has the dwarf hammer at least.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

and dragoon has a scythe on the cash shop, the devs are crazy like that sometimes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

According to 'most' FFXIV healer mains (as in, the ones that complain the most), OGCD heals are always enough to heal once you learn the fight, ergo why they keep asking either for more damage taken to the party(rarely) or for healers to have complex DPS rotations/Cleric Stance back (usually)

I would actually like higher incoming damage in regular content, but maybe criterion dungeons will be good for that? Idk I rolled healer to play a healer, if you want to shoot loads of big number lasers... *gestures at half the job roles*

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

lol goodbye to my housing dreams

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

DRG is probably gonna be reducing buttons and probably streamlining Jumps in some way to address animation lock.
With how tight DRG’s rotation is and how many expansions that rotation has gone mostly unchanged, I could see them being worried that removing any step from its combo being controversial.
The problem is that the job has kinda reached a hard cap in terms of how many buttons it can have before it becomes basically unplayable for controller users, so removing buttons is kinda necessary so there will be room for it to evolve in future expansions.

they need to bite the bullet and add PvP style combo buttons to PvE. It'll free up space and keep my fingers from bleeding

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

new drg should have really low hp and defenses but also send >50% of the time in the air and untargetable so the playstyle revolves around avoiding incoming damage

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

new drg should have really low hp and defenses but also send >50% of the time in the air and untargetable so the playstyle revolves around avoiding incoming damage

Just restore their 2.0-era mdef (or lack of it). Dodge everything or perish.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Just restore their 2.0-era mdef (or lack of it). Dodge everything or perish.

Is a dodge tank something they can implement in the game?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is a dodge tank something they can implement in the game?

Not really, no. They'd have to redo an absolute ton of existing encounters to take it into account. That's the sort of thing you need to have in mind from the very beginning.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On a different note, for P3S does anyone have experience with getting Bard to line up properly? In a standard rotation the second purplesong comes up just after he takes off and causes some big delays, I haven't worked out yet if clipping the opening green phase by 5-10 seconds to make that line up will cause different issues down the line.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

closest thing you can get to a dodge tank is honed acuity in bozja, which is really fun to build around but very hard to tank with if there's any other superhero tanks running an upfront damage setup.

there's a lot of fun little experimental setups in bozja. eureka too but I think the chance failure nature of plate crafting makes it less appealing to test out goofy builds.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've literally never seen what a boss looks like because I'm always looking at my hotbars and ground circles please stop asking for classes to be more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

No Dignity posted:

the issue is disparity with other healers. where the other three have their roughly three billion ogcd heals before they have to fall back on gcd healing, and can therefore maintain damage while healing, white mages have appreciably fewer ogcd heals and therefore have to rely on the afflatus healing spells more. being the first healer to sacrifice damage for healing would obviously feel like poo poo for white mages

Vitamean posted:

closest thing you can get to a dodge tank is honed acuity in bozja, which is really fun to build around but very hard to tank with if there's any other superhero tanks running an upfront damage setup.

there's a lot of fun little experimental setups in bozja. eureka too but I think the chance failure nature of plate crafting makes it less appealing to test out goofy builds.

i got a pal who loves to do gimmick builds in bozja, so one day he went for a high evasion build for the menenius duel in zadnor. turns out evasion works on the laser turrets that keep spamming one-shots until you reflect them, so he inadvertently dodged enough to run out of reflect and die