Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm starting to get real horror movie vibes from Danny :ohdear:

Good episode all around, Margo plot does not seem headed to the electric chair sadly but at least it's progressing, and the conflict between the Soviet and US missions bubbled to the surface a whole two episodes in to the collaboration :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Rappaport posted:

Good episode all around, Margo plot does not seem headed to the electric chair sadly but at least it's progressing, and the conflict between the Soviet and US missions bubbled to the surface a whole two episodes in to the collaboration :allears:

Dannyvent Horizon, Will Tyler can be the stand in for Laurence Fishburn. Good episode, loved the squabbling American/Russian/Cuban family on Mars. My one quibble would be how did the Soviets have satellite info on the liquid water if they are using NASA satellites or were those supposedly launched first, like the NASA modules? And if so, then why didn't the Soviets also launch their own supply caches to the surface?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Space Danny ASAP IMO.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Rappaport posted:

In a world where Larry's gay affair is going to be the Lewinsky scandal, I'm guessing Ellen sabre rattles Russia over stolen rocket intel and hogging water on the moon as a Yugoslavia analogue.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Instead of a cum stained dress the impeachment trial will center around an audio recording of butt loving.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
tHe PeRfEcT cOmPrOmIsE what the gently caress is this

as someone who is currently the ~perfect compromise~ to a loud part of the liberals/dems gently caress this poo poo and gently caress moderate dick sucking

i hope larry dies

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

That whole time I was hoping that Ellen would say "gently caress that" and take inspiration from a kid who took a huge chance to move things forward when he had the ears of the world.

Who cares about being a one term president? Do some good, maybe come out yourself.

I guess there is some bitter irony in her choosing the middle path and then immediately getting outed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought the start of the episode was weird, and I had to go back and be sure that I didn't miss an episode.
I just thought it was weird how they rushed through the engine failure and agreement for Helios to bring them home.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was completely blindsided by them freaking out that Will is gay because him saying it 10 seconds earlier didn't even register as anything out of the ordinary to me.

Also, does anyone know what that equation was that Margo found? It didn't make any sense to me.

TIP posted:

Instead of a cum stained dress the impeachment trial will center around an audio recording of butt loving.

Oh poo poo, because there was no watergate right? No one in public learned about the tapes in the oval office so they are probably still recording.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

Oh poo poo, because there was no watergate right? No one in public learned about the tapes in the oval office so they are probably still recording.

They made sure to show some shots of microphones in the oval office earlier in the season, it's definitely why that dude was specifically pressing him about whether they had sex there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TIP posted:

They made sure to show some shots of microphones in the oval office earlier in the season, it's definitely why that dude was specifically pressing him about whether they had sex there.

Yeah, they've still got the tape decks installed, dudes going to the bone zone in the Oval, plus Ellen at least implying that she's gay on tape. It looks like we're actually going to get a Watergate/Lewinsky combo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Also, does anyone know what that equation was that Margo found? It didn't make any sense to me.

Oh I figured it out. It ends up being H2O = -70.10122 -j9.413984 which I assume are coordinates on Mars.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 15, 2022

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Camera sure settled lovingly on the cans of Pepsi for a little of that sweet product placement, but having that fare available makes sense from the fact they flew a goddamned hotel to Mars.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TIP posted:

Who cares about being a one term president? Do some good, maybe come out yourself.

Clearly you have no understanding of politicians

Yeah I loving hated the politics in this. The most purestrained lib poo poo. If you’re pissing off both sides that means you’re being the adult in the room! And the musical cue indicating this was some great moment.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
not to stan for fake Elon but that Helios rover design is badass

I hope Danny gets run over by it

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
Have there been any references at all to the character of Sally Ride this season, considering she played a big part in the final episodes of Season 2? Since her character was a real person in our timeline who also happened to be the first known LGBT astronaut, I wonder if they might reintroduce her character as an ally to Will and Ellen.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hoopy Frood posted:

Have there been any references at all to the character of Sally Ride this season, considering she played a big part in the final episodes of Season 2? Since her character was a real person in our timeline who also happened to be the first known LGBT astronaut, I wonder if they might reintroduce her character as an ally to Will and Ellen.

No mention. I suspect they try and not to do too much with real life people so that they're not just making up major parts of their lives, especially as they're giving closer and closer to modern day. I think they probably just wanted to honor the fact that she was the first woman (and lesbian!) in space in real life, so they included her in a major launch in the show instead, giving her a heroic role.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wee Bairns posted:

Camera sure settled lovingly on the cans of Pepsi for a little of that sweet product placement, but having that fare available makes sense from the fact they flew a goddamned hotel to Mars.

They had also Shiner beer next to the Pepsi

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Neat to see a Cuban in the Soviet crew, would make sense they’d be emphasizing cooperation with Central America.

Yeah the “oh no Sojourner’s engines are busted” seemed out of nowhere to make them dependent on Helios. Good for drama but didn’t seem foreshadowed and they could have swapped it with “cracked hull, broken life support, spider in the cockpit” and would have been the same.

I liked Ed’s indifference to the Helios flag raising and him sharing the gourmet food. Very cool to see the long shots of Mars.

Danny/Karen was more tolerable? Felt like they were moving into the end game of him being nuts. Kinda interesting how Helios doesn’t lock up their pharmaceuticals and Ed can veto the medical evac, makes sense as Dev wouldn’t care and fits the startup mentality. I did like Dev mentioning this mission costs a lot and isn’t making any money, glad Helios lacks infinite resources.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"We will not be able to relaunch the sojourner. There is a gross bug on the launch button."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Neat to see a Cuban in the Soviet crew, would make sense they’d be emphasizing cooperation with Central America.

Yeah the “oh no Sojourner’s engines are busted” seemed out of nowhere to make them dependent on Helios. Good for drama but didn’t seem foreshadowed and they could have swapped it with “cracked hull, broken life support, spider in the cockpit” and would have been the same.

I liked Ed’s indifference to the Helios flag raising and him sharing the gourmet food. Very cool to see the long shots of Mars.

Danny/Karen was more tolerable? Felt like they were moving into the end game of him being nuts. Kinda interesting how Helios doesn’t lock up their pharmaceuticals and Ed can veto the medical evac, makes sense as Dev wouldn’t care and fits the startup mentality. I did like Dev mentioning this mission costs a lot and isn’t making any money, glad Helios lacks infinite resources.

They show us that they do lock up the good poo poo

Danny has a key

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wee Bairns posted:

I figured that was a nod to Pepsi's Cold War shenanigans. Even Dick Nixon acted as Pepsi's spokesman towards the USSR at one point! Which reminds me, I was extremely :allears: at the giant Nixon portrait in the Oval Office, you show 'em Ellen!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I thought it was kind of funny how utterly dejected Ed and Danny were when standing on Mars for the first time. You're on loving MARS!!! They're so narcissistically obsessed with legacy. Enjoy the moment.

Only Will had the appropriate reaction to being on another planet

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Ed was, in addition to the second place trophy, probably just hit by the utter hollowness of raising a corporation flag.

And Danny is just Danny.

Edit: Although I agree about the earlier scene where they landed, Ed almost looked bored.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 15, 2022

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Oops.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Cojawfee posted:

Nixon personally requested that an audio recording system be installed (after removing Lyndon B. Johnson's audio recording system upon assuming office two years earlier). So, Ellen and Larry would definitely be aware of a recording system in the Oval Office if one is still running, which makes their choice to cavalierly discuss their homosexuality a bit strange. The show presented the recording going on though? I missed that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was an Oval Office meeting an episode or two ago that started on a tight shot of a mic stuck to a vase in the room.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It's cool how I think I've figured this show out and they still throw a curveball.

Didn't see the Sojourner being broken but that definitely solves the "everyone needs to go home together" plothole. Danny is going space crazy and Danielle is now pissed at everyone, so that's setting up some lovely space drama for the next episode. They're 100% finding life at the end of the season as well (the Soviets/Helios will want to ignore it because Profit/glorious evil communism).

I was expecting Ellen to have a secret lover but if Larry is dumb enough to be having a gay affair in the Oval Office maybe that's the scandal that brings down her presidency. Surprised they did Don't Ask Don't Tell though, it's nice ("nice") that they're showing that not everything is wonderful in the FAM universe.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is the lie that Ellen tells under oath to get impeached going to be "I did have sexual relations with that man"?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

blue squares posted:

Clearly you have no understanding of politicians

Yeah I loving hated the politics in this. The most purestrained lib poo poo. If you’re pissing off both sides that means you’re being the adult in the room! And the musical cue indicating this was some great moment.

Honestly though she is a Republican, so under that lens the idea she went for the middle position is actually hopelessly optimistic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Is the lie that Ellen tells under oath to get impeached going to be "I did have sexual relations with that man"?

They have a kid, so they either adopted, plowed, or did in vitro. I think the scandal is going to be that it is revealed that her husband banged a dude in the oval office, the biggest disgrace to ever happen to America. Then they will put her under oath and demand to know if she knew he was gay, she'll say no, and then they will find some witness to say that she knew the whole time and impeach her over that. Even better if the conversation with Deke was somehow recorded in some tape dump that was never listened to.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

tokin opposition posted:

They show us that they do lock up the good poo poo

Danny has a key

Oh gotcha I missed that.

EvilHawk posted:

It's cool how I think I've figured this show out and they still throw a curveball.

Didn't see the Sojourner being broken but that definitely solves the "everyone needs to go home together" plothole. Danny is going space crazy and Danielle is now pissed at everyone, so that's setting up some lovely space drama for the next episode. They're 100% finding life at the end of the season as well (the Soviets/Helios will want to ignore it because Profit/glorious evil communism).

I was expecting Ellen to have a secret lover but if Larry is dumb enough to be having a gay affair in the Oval Office maybe that's the scandal that brings down her presidency. Surprised they did Don't Ask Don't Tell though, it's nice ("nice") that they're showing that not everything is wonderful in the FAM universe.

For sure yeah finding life in the water especially with the time spent on the Antarctic life finding mission.

Would make sense for Larry to get busted as he and Ellen have been covering up successfully for decades and he got overconfident.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Of the two of them, Larry was always the one more comfortable living a double life. He'd have his lovers over to spend the night while he and Ellen were living together in the previous season and it was all shown to be very routine.

Ellen by contrast was kind of all -or-nothing with Pam. Once she made the decision (thanks in no small part to Deke's awful reaction) to stay deeply in the closet to pursue her political career, it's like she also took a vow of celibacy.

So it is fitting that Larry was casual enough to bone down in the Oval Office while Ellen has presumably not gotten laid in a decade.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh gotcha I missed that.

For sure yeah finding life in the water especially with the time spent on the Antarctic life finding mission.

Would make sense for Larry to get busted as he and Ellen have been covering up successfully for decades and he got overconfident.

I think if they end season 4 finding life then that nails on season 5 as being exploring the solar system to find life in other places (moons etc.), and then finding some mysterious material that allows near-FTL speed travel for going to another solar system. Only way the plot can really advance every 10 years.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I wonder if/when the Cold War will end in this timeline.

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014

Wee Bairns posted:

There were also bottles of shiner Bock because Texas.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

jamoncorona posted:

shiner bock is good

I should try to see if it's even possible to buy in my state, haven't had it in forever

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

jamoncorona posted:

I haven't finished this episode, but I will tonight, and goddammit, that's not Texas, that's Amurica.

Also, this is the greatest teaser for a drunk, I love it and if Apple could shows as well as you, we'd pay 2x as much as we do now.

(no, I don't live in Texas, but I know a good drink. Also, really looking forward to tonight.)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It's really weird that Helios, as a US company, is allowed to provide support for the USSR against US state interests. I would have presumed that any sort of equipment related to space travel or working outside the Earth's atmosphere would be controlled against export to the USSR and related nations. Like, there's absolutely nothing the US government can do to stop Helios from helping out? Or from commandeering their equipment to the benefit of the US government? I mean come on, it's the Cold War, shouldn't Helios be getting flack at least from the right to "helping the enemy" or some bullshit? Maybe that will be covered next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Certain people, for sure, would cal that into question. But 95% other people don't. You know the phone you use is used by millions of others and made in an entirely different region, right?

I get that it's the cold war. But the cold war ended. Now your, well, everything, is made right under the USSR's umbrella.