Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CountryMatters posted:

legit question is there still a market for scientific calculators? like they cost as much as a mobile phone and have vastly less computing ability right?

graphing calculators are dead, scientific calculators are still useful for the great interface. The casio fx-115 is like $12 and perfect in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think schools loan out the calculators now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bring back the slide rule imo.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Darth TNT posted:

I like how the Celcius reddit is currently in the bargaining stage. "What if they just mine the hole?" or "What if they sell all their rigs" or "what if the directors take pay cuts and we get our money first?"

It's filled with hope. Somehow those tweets filled them with hope instead of the obvious.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Marklar posted:

It's filled with hope. Somehow those tweets filled them with hope instead of the obvious.

If they were capable of good judgement they wouldn't have been in in the first place.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The copium with bankrupt crypto companies is beyond anything I can describe. It's literally people whose mindset is never anything other than "it must go up". It's equivalent to betting on black in roulette 100% of the time and expecting to get ahead despite the probability then being below 50%, and when they win saying "see it goes up" and when they lose doubling up or going silent.
alternating between FOMOpium and copium, the two most important gasses in crypto other than hot air

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
lmao :kheldragar:

Celsius Owes $4.7 Billion to Users But Doesn't Have Money to Pay Them

https://gizmodo.com/celsius-bankrupt-billion-money-crypto-bitcoin-price-cel-1849181797

quote:

Celsius, the crypto trading platform that halted all withdrawals a month ago and filed for bankruptcy yesterday, has a $1.2 billion sized hole in its balance sheet, according to a bankruptcy filing and new report from the Financial Times. What does that mean for users? You’re probably not getting all your money back, if you see some at all.

Celsius lists $5.5 billion of liabilities in its bankruptcy filing, $4.7 billion of which is owed to Celsius users. The problem is that Celsius lists just $4.3 billion of assets, many of it illiquid, and that’s even assuming those have been calculated properly. A large part of Celsius’s holdings is in its own crypto token, also known as Celsius, which has taken a nosedive in the past year. And roughly $1 billion of assets are tied up in the company’s bitcoin mining center.

Celsius was notorious for offering absurdly high interest rates on crypto—as high as 18% in some cases—but it has to make increasingly risky bets to pay those off. Where did all the money go? Celsius explains in the filing that the company made bad gambles.

“Some of Celsius’ crypto is tied up in long term and illiquid crypto deployment activities; some of Celsius’ crypto assets have been loaned to third parties; and some of Celsius’ crypto assets have been pledged in support of borrowings or sold to generate cash used to acquire Bitcoin mining equipment and the GK8 storage business,” the filing reads.

“Because of the variety of asset deployment strategies the Company engaged in, including the terms and length of time those strategies ‘lock’ the assets, and due to the drop in value of digital assets, Celsius was unable to both meet user withdrawals and provide additional collateral to support its obligations,” the filing continues.

The bankruptcy filing notes that users who signed up for Celsius all agreed to terms of service that allowed Celsius to just stop withdrawals at any time. And it’s honestly a bit shocking to see it all laid out in the bankruptcy paperwork in such stark terms:

The terms of use that form the basis of the contract between Celsius and its users explicitly state that in exchange for the opportunity to earn rewards on assets, users transfer “all right and title” of their crypto assets to Celsius including “ownership rights” and the right to “pledge, re-pledge, hypothecate, rehypothecate, sell, lend, or otherwise transfer or use” any amount of such crypto, whether “separately or together with other property”, “for any period of time,” and “without retaining in Celsius’ possession and/or control a like amount of [crypto] or any other monies or assets, and to use or invest such [crypto] in Celsius’ full discretion.” A version of this statement has been in every version of Celsius’ “Terms of Use” since 2018. And since 2019, the Company has been clear that it might “experience cyber-attacks, extreme market conditions, or other operational or technical difficulties which could result in immediate halt of transactions either temporarily or permanently.”

Did you catch all that? You weren’t buying crypto and having Celsius hold it for you. You were transferring “right and title” of your crypto to the company.

One thing you won’t see in the bankruptcy filings is how much Celsius executives cashed out of their own crypto token over the past few years. Celsius co-founder and CEO Alex Mashinsky sold about $44 million worth of Celsius crypto since the company was founded, according to a recent report by the Financial Times.

Where does all of that leave users? Nobody knows for sure. But they’re in a long line of creditors, all hoping to salvage something from the Celsius mess. Oddly enough, Celsius says it wants to reorganize and bounce back as a company after all of this is done. But it’s tough to imagine anyone wanting to invest their money in a place that just made so many billions of dollars disappear.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Durzel posted:

I thought I'd check the Celsius (CEL) token today because the company behind it has gone bankrupt, and naturally a coin that has no other function except within that ecosystem must surely be in the toilet, right? It's up 28% today.

Who in the hell buys CEL knowing that the company behind it is wrecked? Is it some sort desperate "if we can pump this maybe Celsius will survive and I'll get access to my funds again" sunk cost fallacy?

I think there's a decent amount of overlap between crypto and r/wallstreetbets, which made good buying up shares in Hertz after it declared bankruptcy. In Hertz's case it was because unrelated economic conditions led to re-inflating the company's assets (its income stream had dried up due to the pandemic curtailing travel which led them to file for bankruptcy, but as new car production slowed down its vehicle fleet suddenly became worth $$$$), but I suspect a lot of online speculators took the wrong lesson from the whole thing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I like that they can't say "stole" yet and have to say "owes." Fun fact, it was a grift the whole time with the seed concept of stealing. But people are worried cause they might get sued buy the scam "company."

e,

quote:

Did you catch all that? You weren’t buying crypto and having Celsius hold it for you. You were transferring “right and title” of your crypto to the company.

loving LOL! wallet inspectors all the way down to the bottom.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 15, 2022

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

https://gizmodo.com/celsius-bankrupt-billion-money-crypto-bitcoin-price-cel-1849181797

Transferrring right and title of assets in anticipation of a business investing those assets to generate a return sounds extremely like a security, not a commodity.

Investopedia says the test used is the Howey test and if an investment meets the following, it is a security:

1) An investment of money
2) In a common enterprise
3) With the expectation of profit
4) To be derived from the efforts of others

Celsius certainly meets 1, 2, and 3. The question is if it meets 4, which I think it would since its (ostensible) sources of income were so varied.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

kevin never been funny, the rock is 10x funnier and he's not even really that funny.

Oh, word?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hasn't Tether also got literal billions of dollars worth of money owed that it obviously doesn't have?

I do wonder how many times of this it'd take to kill crypto the way NFTs are down to the bagholders and johnny come latelies.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Has anyone said crapto coin yet?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Those people aren't getting even :10bux:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hasn't Tether also got literal billions of dollars worth of money owed that it obviously doesn't have?

I do wonder how many times of this it'd take to kill crypto the way NFTs are down to the bagholders and johnny come latelies.

Celsius was a scam bank and Tether is a scam currency accepted by all of the scam banks but yeah, similar concept. Tether is just a 15x larger scam.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I will be surprised if there's enough to cover their top tier creditors after everything is liquidated. The people who rented them office furniture are getting pennies on the dollar and they're getting those pennies before the people who actually gave them money see anything back.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Seth Pecksniff posted:

quote:

Oddly enough, Celsius says it wants to reorganize and bounce back as a company after all of this is done. But it’s tough to imagine anyone wanting to invest their money in a place that just made so many billions of dollars disappear.

:allears:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Darth TNT posted:

The bankruptcy settlement will be that Celsius buys everyone a SA account

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
It's like an Onion headline:

Area crypto bank can't understand why customers would want to be able to use their money.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

LifeSunDeath posted:

Fun fact, it was a grift the whole time with the seed concept of stealing.
You could say....
It was a kleptocurrency

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

HappyHippo posted:

For an actually interesting idea regarding elections, there's a concept called "Homomorphic encryption," where you can do calculations on data that's encrypted. If it works, you'd be able to verify that your vote was tallied without it ever being revealed who you voted for:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-future-of-democracy/can-our-ballots-be-both-secret-and-secure

Of course this has nothing to do with blockchain.

gently caress's sake people. Pen and paper. Have scrutineers from each party in the room during the count. Use watermarked numbered ballot paper that are assigned to a voting site and a process to account for spoiled ballots, use the two man rule to move votes around and secure numbered tags to seal boxes when they're unaccompanied. If you want a recount, just count the ballots again because you keep the hard copies in storage for a year or two after the election.

Votes don't go missing because the ballots are numbered and votes don't get changed because no one is ever alone with them.

The only technology you might consider is an electronic voting roll so you can mark off people as they vote rather than reconciling all the rolls after the election. Even this is optional, you could just mark their hand with ink to prevent revoting if you want to go super low tech. (Although duplicate voting is insanely rare despite what angsty right wingers might claim.)

Democracy isn't hard. Pen and paper is completely transparent to everyone but as soon as you add any technology it becomes completely opaque and therefore untrustworthy to a large chunk of the population.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Party Ape posted:

gently caress's sake people. Pen and paper. Have scrutineers from each party in the room during the count. Use watermarked numbered ballot paper that are assigned to a voting site and a process to account for spoiled ballots, use the two man rule to move votes around and secure numbered tags to seal boxes when they're unaccompanied. If you want a recount, just count the ballots again because you keep the hard copies in storage for a year or two after the election.

Votes don't go missing because the ballots are numbered and votes don't get changed because no one is ever alone with them.

The only technology you might consider is an electronic voting roll so you can mark off people as they vote rather than reconciling all the rolls after the election. Even this is optional, you could just mark their hand with ink to prevent revoting if you want to go super low tech. (Although duplicate voting is insanely rare despite what angsty right wingers might claim.)

Democracy isn't hard. Pen and paper is completely transparent to everyone but as soon as you add any technology it becomes completely opaque and therefore untrustworthy to a large chunk of the population.

I never understood why voting systems seemed to get needlessly complicated. I'm in Canada and the federal and provincial elections are all run by a non partisan commission. The ballots are simple and you just mark an x in a large circle next to your choice (with a provided pencil!). The ballot gets folded, the receipt is removed so the ballot can be accounted for, and is dropped in a box. They split up the polling stations to be small enough groups that there is rarely much of a wait if at all on voting day and provide several early voting times along with mail in. It's not hard!! Granted it's a smaller population but scaling that up isn't rocket science.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

voting being opaque and untrustworthy is a feature not a bug for an ideological movement seeking to build popular support for terminating democracy

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

voting being opaque and untrustworthy is a feature not a bug for an ideological movement seeking to build popular support for terminating democracy

Granted, but people keep going "ok it's bad but it will be better if we add yet another opaque complex system over the top".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crypto people are probably pretty "meh" on this whole "democracy" thing (what if a poor votes?) but would love to be able to use a "security concern," such as has been floated in an effort to dog on democracy as a concept, to sell their buttcoins as a solution and make money for doing nothing.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

My friend bought a Bitcoin miner that doesn't even mine Bitcoin.

https://ipollo.com/products/ipollo-g1-mini

I guess electricity is cheap enough where he is that he thought dipping his toe in with an entry-level model might somehow pencil out? But he finally gets the thing and realizes that it's programmed to mine something called "grin coin," which is another shitcoin trying to do anonymous transactions somehow. And the website also doesn't show that it's got one of those godawful pixel-art "crypto punks" plastered across the top of it. I wonder if the person who owns that particular JPEG URL is making royalties off it like promised.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Confession: I would have liked nfts for use cases like media and software licenses.

You buy a music album or a movie (old fashioned, I know), it's recorded in your wallet. You can then always access or re-download it without searching all your email accounts for the receipt, or across five different platforms where you might have bought it. Or you could gift or sell your copy.

Naturally that's exactly why no business would want to use that service - imagine people being able to sell their software or music like they used to thirty years ago. Industries would poo poo their pants.

That's what gets me; the closest "practical" applications I see people pushing are like a weird form of meta-consumption, and it's not just "play to earn" either. I saw some smug coiner on Twitter arguing that blockchain-based subscription services would be revolutionary, because they would enable you to sell the remainder of your subscription if you got tired of it (or it somehow went up in value!) before it had expired. Or the hexagon-avatar dude who spent an entire issue of his Substack letter trying to convince people that NFT projects had it made because being able to see who owned what NFTs on the public blockchain would enable all kinds of wonderful brand collaborations. Never mind that fashion is almost as ephemeral as any digital good.

It all feels out of touch in a deeply fundamental way. Like, of course this is what people who never leave their San Francisco or Brooklyn apartments and transact entirely through phone apps would come up with. I guess that's late capitalism in a nutshell: there is nothing left to do but consume, so let's enable the consumer to make money off their consumption!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

istewart posted:

I guess electricity is cheap enough where he is that he thought dipping his toe in with an entry-level model might somehow pencil out? But he finally gets the thing and realizes that it's programmed to mine something called "grin coin," which is another shitcoin trying to do anonymous transactions somehow. And the website also doesn't show that it's got one of those godawful pixel-art "crypto punks" plastered across the top of it. I wonder if the person who owns that particular JPEG URL is making royalties off it like promised.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/grin/

About 3 years too late.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

istewart posted:

I guess electricity is cheap enough where he is that he thought dipping his toe in with an entry-level model might somehow pencil out? But he finally gets the thing and realizes that it's programmed to mine something called "grin coin,"

so he couldn't even be bothered to read the specifications of the thing before spending $299?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

LordArgh posted:

so he couldn't even be bothered to read the specifications of the thing before spending $299?

BarnumCoin is holding steady. If mining with a certain rig was profitable, nobody in their right mind would sell it.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm seeing a parallel between the """art""" NFTs and the reselling-digital-items NFTs - they both take a physical concept that makes sense, and try to recreate it in a digital way that is stupid.

With physical art, the concept of "the original" is objectively meaningful (or at least it can be). We can then ascribe whatever cachet we like to that. NFTs try to shoehorn the concept into the digital world, where it doesn't make any sense.

Similarly, publishers are forced to allow people to resell books/DVDs/N64 games because of the physical reality of objects. Cryptobros seem to dream of recreating this compulsion because [handwave] and then they'll have no choice!!

Governments could pass laws about some kind of right of digital transfer, but it wouldn't involve blockchains.

Party Ape posted:

Granted, but people keep going "ok it's bad but it will be better if we add yet another opaque complex system over the top".

Sadly, even without anyone trying to swing an election, people will keep seeing the very solid system you describe, and decide it's antiquated and silly and we have cyber now, and surely technology's moved on since you last explained why this is a terrible idea (cf Tom Scott's video and follow-up).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

istewart posted:

lol that someone actually bought a miner specifically for a dead shitcoin, or that these even exist at all

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

istewart posted:

I hate to say it, but I think your friend might be a massive loving idiot.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I hate to say it, but I think your friend might be a massive loving idiot.

Everybody needs one of these friends for entertainment and to keep current on what the idiots are getting suckered into.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Jeffrey where's our GoonCoin™?, you know we will throw our money away for it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

shame on an IGA posted:

graphing calculators are dead

Graphing calculators will never die as long as you can play Drug Wars on them. :colbert:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

shame on an IGA posted:

graphing calculators are dead, scientific calculators are still useful for the great interface. The casio fx-115 is like $12 and perfect in every way.

Would there be a market for something like a wolfram alpha calculator? Or would that just be worse than a laptop running Mathematica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I taught a friend how to use a slide rule the other day, reject electrical computing.