Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I like the helmet, but the rest is garbo.

And by that I mean the Bengals.
Rude.

Also wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nfl players and alums are dropping at a crazy rate this offseason.

kiimo posted:

kind of cool but also kind of makes me think of a coloring book before you color it

Bengals fans have been asking for the white helmet ever since the color Rush Jersey was premiered. It doesn't 100% do it for me either but the overwhelming majority of the fan base has been calling for it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 14, 2022

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Reminds me of the white ranger in power rangers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cincinnati Zebras

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Every week they should dress like a different animal from their world famous zoo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sweet thursday posted:

Every week they should dress like a different food from their world famous city

The Browns vs Skyline Chili would be interesting

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The Jungle would never betray The Official Chili of the Cincinnati Bengals. Browns vs Gold Star.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Great I'm thinking of teams being named after their best-known foods, and now I'm thinking of those dumb mayoral bets where they promise to send ____ food item to the opposing team's mayor if they lose.

Imagine being Mayor Garcetti & getting a bucket of Skyline Chili in the mail.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Kalli posted:

Mitchell Schwartz officially retiring:

Back injury two years ago, permanent nerve damage

https://twitter.com/MitchSchwartz71/status/1547647193984552960

Go Bears... sad to hear this.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Him saying that he's had sciatic pain for two years makes me want to cry.

I had it for two weeks and wanted to chop my legs off and I wish I was kidding.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have that stuff. radiating pain. feels like you wanna cut your nuts off and eat at Long john Silver's restaurant. let's all go before they close them all down. there are barely 600 left. the perfect fries for malt vinegar usage.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sometimes for fun I think back at eating at Long John Silver‘s as a kid and asking for “extra crispies” and just knowing now that I was eating like trays of fried fat during my developmental years

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In Britain it is called crackling and you can buy bags of it thus cementing that the British have terrible taste literally and figuratively.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Great I'm thinking of teams being named after their best-known foods, and now I'm thinking of those dumb mayoral bets where they promise to send ____ food item to the opposing team's mayor if they lose.

The Indianapolis...Pork Tenderloins?

You know what, it sounds about right.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1547758496023605248

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

Sometimes for fun I think back at eating at Long John Silver‘s as a kid and asking for “extra crispies” and just knowing now that I was eating like trays of fried fat during my developmental years

I still like Long John Silver's. But I can only have it once a blue moon, and gotta clear out my schedule so I can be on the toilet all day after eating it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jivesauce posted:

The Indianapolis...Pork Tenderloins?

You know what, it sounds about right.

I thought the shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo Steak House is renowned. Or maybe that's what I'm to believe from NBA & NFL scouts/journalists that travel to the area.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rename the Jets and Giants the New Jersey Taylor Hams and the New Jersey Pork Rolls

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

I thought the shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo Steak House is renowned. Or maybe that's what I'm to believe from NBA & NFL scouts/journalists that travel to the area.

Yeah for Indianapolis specifically that would probably be a better representation. Do scouts really talk about that?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On the occasional sports podcasts I listen to where they go to Indianapolis for combines, yes.

Which makes me consider how much of a culinary wasteland that area is if the best thing to eat there… is seafood at a steakhouse.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

And shrimp cocktail specifically. The most basic rear end seafood possible except canned tuna. Like I am sure they do a nice job with it but this is the shining champion the state puts forward as the very best it can produce?

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
There are plenty of good restaurants in Indy, but yeah I can't really think of any specific food that Indiana is known for. I wasn't really joking about the fried pork tenderloin earlier, that's probably the closest to a specific food Indiana as a whole is known for, which is embarrassing. Full disclosure, I've never had the shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo, but my understanding is it's just...shrimp cocktail...with really big shrimp I guess?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Apparently the thing that makes St. Elmo's Steakhouse shrimp cocktail noteworthy is their homemade cocktail sauce.

Mods please change the thread title to The Shrimp Cocktail in Indianapolis Is Noteworthy

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The finest Indiana skrimp that Lake Michigan has to offer

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My step dad was the manager of a Skippers back in the early '90s. I only remember there being lots of Jello and popcorn shrimp every time we went to his store. Does this count as content this time of year?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Indy’s culinary specialty is indeed basically a pork tenderloin hamburger from what I understand, and it’s not very good. There are some good restaurants in Indy but it’s still not great compared to a lot of other midwestern cities, let alone Chicago. I think nfl media types just gravitate towards steak houses tho

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ahhhhhh yeah

https://twitter.com/therealmarklane/status/1547409859506757633?s=21&t=5rYJZY4POEWub1gtZzQMOw

/finds Carolina

Checks out

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

hard to tell exactly what that metric is trying to do, but I'm guessing it's not positivity about future success. Otherwise, are all bears fans delusional?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nosre posted:

hard to tell exactly what that metric is trying to do, but I'm guessing it's not positivity about future success. Otherwise, are all bears fans delusional?

The live in Chicago, so yeah, probably

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

That's about where Arizona should be.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Indy’s culinary specialty is indeed basically a pork tenderloin hamburger from what I understand, and it’s not very good.

I do not believe this is the case trying to look up what a pork tenderloin hamburger is. Which I found a recipe for but doesn't really seem to be a thing, and does sound awful if it is. Or at the least it's not what I would associate with Indiana.

Now a pork tenderloin sandwich you should probably not eat often if you like your heart, but it's pretty damned good. Meat hammered out in the forge to a quarter inch that doesn't even begin to fit the bun before being breaded and fried. It's at least mid and maybe upper tier random state food that you eat very rarely.

/offseason posting

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Those things are loving stupid.

Like even if it's not bullshit, which it probably is, it's probably just taking the Bears fans liking Justin Fields and hating everything else as a positive post.

Or like celebrating getting rid of Pace and Nagy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Apparently the thing that makes St. Elmo's Steakhouse shrimp cocktail noteworthy is their homemade cocktail sauce.

Mods please change the thread title to The Shrimp Cocktail in Indianapolis Is Noteworthy

I've had the cocktail shrimp there and it's pretty much just that they make a cocktail sauce filled with horseradish. As someone who loves horseradish, I loved it, but I'm amazed at how much press it gets. They did have very big shrimp too I guess.

E: I guess I need to up my bears pessimist-posting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

Those things are loving stupid.

Like even if it's not bullshit, which it probably is, it's probably just taking the Bears fans liking Justin Fields and hating everything else as a positive post.

Or like celebrating getting rid of Pace and Nagy

it's counting everyone who ever tweeted "Da Bears" as positive

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ravens at number two, huh? Whoever did this research definitely did not use the forums or the discord as a source...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eifert Posting posted:

Ravens at number two, huh? Whoever did this research definitely did not use the forums or the discord as a source...

Most Ravens fans are pretty big homers. Here is a weird exception. If you go to other Ravens discussion areas it's pretty much overwhelming praise for the organization. I think on this forum it's mostly that also I've just kind of drowned it all out :D. I also don't think I'm as negative as what I used to be.

I do think a lot of the praise is warranted but I feel like people overdo it. Like everyone is praising the Ravens draft moves every time they make them before they've even produced results. We have our share of misses.

It's the two SBs that do it. They were two somewhat improbable SB runs--one of them we won with Trent Dilfer at QB because of having the right type of great defense at the exact right time. And the other during a year where our window seemed to have closed. Coincidentally both of these runs involved insane improbable plays in the divisional round on the road, the mile high miracle from 2012 and the blocked FG for a TD at Tennessee.

I think that if we didn't have these improbable SB runs people would look at the Ravens and their moves a lot differently. But it's true that we are more often a contender than we are not, so again a lot of the praise is warranted. I think people would say a lot more of the stuff that I say--stuff like we're good but flawed in the way we build a team.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 15, 2022

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

kiimo posted:

Kind of has that late 80s early 90s expensive but cheesy zebra furniture from swinger couples' condos vibe

i believe that style’s called zubazz or something similar?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s the lightning bolt stuff isn’t it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I do not believe this is the case trying to look up what a pork tenderloin hamburger is. Which I found a recipe for but doesn't really seem to be a thing, and does sound awful if it is. Or at the least it's not what I would associate with Indiana.

Now a pork tenderloin sandwich you should probably not eat often if you like your heart, but it's pretty damned good. Meat hammered out in the forge to a quarter inch that doesn't even begin to fit the bun before being breaded and fried. It's at least mid and maybe upper tier random state food that you eat very rarely.

/offseason posting

Yeah this is correct regarding the pork tenderloin sandwich, that picture is spot on. I do think they're really good, but I don't know if that's a function of having grown up around them; glad to hear at least one person from outside the area likes them too!