Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
hell yeah the scene where Captain America fistfights him is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's a weird hollywood phenomenon where you hear "so and so is a really good blank" danny is a really great writer, pierre is a really amazing actor

but actually when you look them up they are just in things with a lot of money behind them. Neil Gaiman - is he a good writer?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
marvel cinematic universe is the only long-term project America has successfully pulled off in this century and it's already starting to shake apart

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Neil Gaiman sucks poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

there's a weird hollywood phenomenon where you hear "so and so is a really good blank" danny is a really great writer, pierre is a really amazing actor

but actually when you look them up they are just in things with a lot of money behind them. Neil Gaiman - is he a good writer?

he is a very good broad-strokes plots guy. idk if that makes him a good writer per se. he’s an awful comics writer, but the stories are decent with very good art so people ignore it at least put up with the fact that they’re poorly told with awful pacing

e: I did like the Good Omens Amazon show which is based off a novel I think he wrote but idk how faithful it is to the original prose. but again the overall plot is very fun

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antonymous posted:

i mean, there's a lot of qualifications for what makes someone a good (fiction) writer. i think gaiman counts because he's very good at creating good prose and has okay to good storytelling. you could do like ranking writers from 1-10 in a bunch of categories and i think gaiman would rank highly in at least a few. contrast to like, tolkien who is very good at worldbuilding and storytelling but his prose is dry as poo poo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

good omens suffered for how much original prose got jammed in there, the book has lots of casual gags that got translated into voiceover narration when all people want to see is michael sheen and david tennant being catty with each other for six hours.

gaiman's an interesting character, i don't think he's a bad writer but much of his success has come from being more commercially savvy than his peers. american gods is a proper novel though.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
American gods sucked, what the gently caress

A protagonist named SHADOW

the twist being that loki went by low-key - what a tweest

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Basically, Neil Gaiman is the kind of thing you think is the coolest poo poo between the ages of 15-18 but should move on from by the time you leave college

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

that's true for a lot of genre fiction even for cspam favorites like terry pratchett

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

fantasy is a baby genre

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Horizon Burning posted:

American gods sucked, what the gently caress

A protagonist named SHADOW

the twist being that loki went by low-key - what a tweest

the plot is kinda whatever, it's like saying watchmen is a book about a guy using a squid to kill people. it's all the stuff about american spirituality and mythmaking that's worthwhile.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mantis42 posted:

fantasy is a baby genre

ahem, 'magical realism'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

e: I did like the Good Omens Amazon show which is based off a novel I think he wrote but idk how faithful it is to the original prose. but again the overall plot is very fun

Good Omens was about 90% Pratchett. extremely good book tho

josh04 posted:

good omens suffered for how much original prose got jammed in there, the book has lots of casual gags that got translated into voiceover narration when all people want to see is michael sheen and david tennant being catty with each other for six hours.

gaiman's an interesting character, i don't think he's a bad writer but much of his success has come from being more commercially savvy than his peers. american gods is a proper novel though.
i thought hte show was good but yes a lot of the book gags don't exactly... work in video format.

i don't think gaiman is bad-bad but I also don't think he's very good either. i think a lot of his fame is a little unwarranted but it's like one of those things that being in the right-place-at-right-time that gets you critical mas fame then keeps propelling you way above your weight: like there's a shitton of artists people will never heard of and make way more interesting work than say a pollock or a rothko will be $9999 million and this will sell for $1000. same for writers or anytthing else, ive read some extremely good Tor books that probably sold like 1000 copies that were much more interestingly written than a gaiman.

and hey that's okay, that's life

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:18 on Jul 15, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i tried watching one episode of good omens and just couldnt stand it i thought both of the leads were obnoxious assholes for completely different reasons but this somehow wasnt the joke

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Basically, Neil Gaiman is the kind of thing you think is the coolest poo poo between the ages of 15-18 but should move on from by the time you leave college

at age 15 I was reading MArx

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
good omens was p. good but i heard there's gonna be a season 2 now? lmao

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Filthy Hans posted:

I finally saw Year of the Rabbit yesterday

it was ok, I guess

i only know Matt Berry from Darkplace, never seen anything else he's been in

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Lance Reddick, right?

yeah

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gaiman is very good at short stories and also sandman is a very good comic, but a lot of what makes sandman work is the visuals and the way it plays with the medium of sequential art, and otherwise gaiman’s novels/longform writings are pretty much all mid at best.

pratchett is very good aside from the one weirdly racist discworld book about fantasy china

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Aglet56 posted:

lots of parents just let their toddlers go crazy on their tablets and watch hours of youtubers or whatever the gently caress, but i think most millennial parents feel at least a little bit guilty about nonstop screen time and feel more comfortable letting their kid watch "curated" content like an MCU movie. once zoomers become parents, every child in america will be raised on 18 hours of twitch streams a day and it'll finally sweep away the last remnants of the movie industry all of human civilization.

Ftfy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not that I care, but Marvel seems like it really needs a reboot. They've lost too many of the actors that carried the first films. The story after Thanos is a slog because you can't not acknowledge the universe-wide genocide. The numbers are getting high enough (Thor 4) that it just sounds old.

But I wasn't the target audience before and I'm not now, so who cares.

Sorry, capitalism means they need to keep putting these out for constant growth forever. Even if it would be in the interest of the long-term health of the Marvel properties to put a pause on them and give it a rest for a few years.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorry, capitalism means they need to keep putting these out for constant growth forever. Even if it would be in the interest of the long-term health of the Marvel properties to put a pause on them and give it a rest for a few years.

they can’t stop
because every marvel show
or movie
is an ad
for the next
if they pause
there’s nothing to push

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aglet56 posted:

lots of parents just let their toddlers go crazy on their tablets and watch hours of youtubers or whatever the gently caress, but i think most millennial parents feel at least a little bit guilty about nonstop screen time and feel more comfortable letting their kid watch "curated" content like an MCU movie.

this was true until covid hit at which point everyone who worked from home just gave their kids tablets and logged into outlook or whatever

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Capcom must be pretty lenient about licensing their stuff for film

I'm still morbidly curious to see the Monster Hunter movie.

Remulak posted:

they can’t stop
because every marvel show
or movie
is an ad
for the next
if they pause
there’s nothing to push

Exactly this. A buddy of mine said that Disney has moved from making entertainment to making content. Just gotta keep people engaged above all else.

That being said I have seen like 95% of the MCU and Star Wars stuff cranked out over the last decade or so :negative: Didn't watch Agents of Shield, haven't seen all of the Marvel TV stuff that was on Netflix (is that even MCU?), but I think I've checked off everything else.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Tangentially related: I know a guy who blew up his marriage and career to be an extra in Troma's "Poultrygeist" lol

king poo poo

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Oh boy I love 2030 where we get marvel phase 10 finally the release of black panther 2

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Maya Fey posted:

i only know Matt Berry from Darkplace, never seen anything else he's been in

You should check out Snuff Box with him and Rich Fulcher. I should watch that again, it's like a funny fever dream.

Oh cool: https://archive.org/details/snuff-box.s-01e-01.-dvdrip.-xvid

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tangentially related: I know a guy who blew up his marriage and career to be an extra in Troma's "Poultrygeist" lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CaptainBeefart posted:

You should check out Snuff Box with him and Rich Fulcher. I should watch that again, it's like a funny fever dream.

Oh cool: https://archive.org/details/snuff-box.s-01e-01.-dvdrip.-xvid

It's an amazing show.

WHISKEY!

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022
Finished Everything Everywhere All at Once. I didn’t expect it to live up to the hype, but it did. An intelligent, genuinely fun movie with heart. 100% recommend.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Most nerds are really terrible at telling what is "good" rather than what works for them, so if they see big projects that lots of other people enjoy but doesn't appeal to them specifically, they'll come to the conclusion that there's some kind of conspiracy of dunces throwing money to trick people into liking it (or graciously say it's "ok but overrated"). When pressed on an example of what they think is good, you'll find something of similar quality that just appeals to their tastes and hasn't become a bigger project because it's intended audience is too narrow. ("New Star Wars is stupid garbage, I wish they would make shows/movies from these excellent EU books or give another franchise like the Sci-Military Fetish Warrior series a chance instead")

A lot of it's trash, some people probably don't think there's enough substance to critically examine it, so discussions tend to be personal preference and drive-by-making GBS threads ("I haven't read Watchmen but I hear this blue guy has his dick out constantly?")

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
hell yeah the blue guy has his dick out, it owns

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Swanging that thang

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dysthymia posted:

Finished Everything Everywhere All at Once. I didn’t expect it to live up to the hype, but it did. An intelligent, genuinely fun movie with heart. 100% recommend.

I knew literally nothing about that movie going into it, hadn’t even seen a trailer, I’d assumed based on the title that it was one of those schmaltzy “teenager dating a girl with cancer” Oscar bait movies or something like that.

it kicked rear end, really glad my sister got me to see it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote is not edit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

hell yeah the blue guy has his dick out, it owns

Swanging that thang

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Augus posted:

I knew literally nothing about that movie going into it, hadn’t even seen a trailer, I’d assumed based on the title that it was one of those schmaltzy “teenager dating a girl with cancer” Oscar bait movies or something like that.

lol what

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the name does sound vaguely YA-fiction-y but I can't put my finger on it either

(Augus was probably referencing The Fault In Our Stars)

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022

Augus posted:

it kicked rear end, really glad my sister got me to see it

First fifteen minutes had me thinking “bland drama about a middle-aged owner of a failing small business.” Glad I stuck it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Call Me by Your Name Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Everywhere All At Once