Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Not a very good friend imo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Silk #16 (2017)
Pencils/inks: Irene Strychalski

Gotham by Midnight #6 (2015)
Pencils/inks: Juan Ferreyra

Gotham by Midnight #10 (2015)

Gotham by Midnight #12 (2016)

Mystery Men Comics #21 (1941)
Pencils/inks: Dick Briefer

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Red Guy looks like "Man I was just trying to say hi, what's with the gun?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Gotham by Midnight #12 (2016)

Everything about this is rad... except the lettering. That speech bubble looks amateurish and really detracts from the rest of the page.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I fuckin love Juan Ferreyra.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yeah, Juan is an animal. From the Infinite Fury backups (the last two are double page spreads):

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Working my way up to and through Inferno. First, the good:

This is just great overall. The rest of the issue wasn't all that special but what an opening page!

Love that perspective and creativity with the borders.

And now, the bad:

Is Skids using her forcefield powers as a girdle?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

TwoPair posted:

Red Guy looks like "Man I was just trying to say hi, what's with the gun?"

They both look embarrassed for the guy, Green's trying to hold in a snicker.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From today's Amazing Spider-Man. Someone really did a number on Peter's face.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when did hammerhead take over as spidey

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's got two broken eye sockets, he's a lumpy boy now.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is that JR Jr?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Special guest artist: DALL-E mini

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Punched so hard his eyes shrunk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You should post his bloody face with the mask on.

I don’t know how to describe it but the blood doesn’t look like it’s on the mask correctly.

More like he went face first into some ketchup

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe JRJr was making a reference to this trimpe drawing

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

And now, the bad:

Her belt would be too small to be a bracelet.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm not much of a Batfamily reader most of the time, but I've been making an exception for Batgirls pure and alone because the art is spectacular.

Batgirls #7
Pencils: Robbi Rodriguez
Colours: Rico Renzi

I like this exaggerated, scratchy style with bright colours in its own right, but I also think it's a great fit for the book. The main characters are younger and more rough-and-tumble than Batman himself, so it makes sense for the artstyle to be a bit looser and more vivid to reinforce that. It's great! :pcgaming:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 15, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wanna give us a credit of who the artists are?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

My bad! I edited the credits into my post.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Conrad_Birdie posted:

it's a guy who had to disappear from comics for a while because both he and his partner on his last book are creeps

site fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 15, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JordanKai posted:

I'm not much of a Batfamily reader most of the time, but I've been making an exception for Batgirls pure and alone because the art is spectacular.

Batgirls #7

I like this exaggerated, scratchy style with bright colours in its own right, but I also think it's a great fit for the book. The main characters are younger and more rough-and-tumble than Batman himself, so it makes sense for the artstyle to be a bit looser and more vivid to reinforce that. It's great! :pcgaming:

Meh. I get why you would like it but you can keep it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

Batgirls #7

This looks fantastic

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm not sure if Rodriguez is the new artist or just the fill-in, but the artist for the first 6 issues has a distinct style of their own. It's kind of rough and cartoony, but I think it's great in showing kinetic action and character expressions.

A: Jorge Corona
C: Sarah Stern

I personally love it, though it took some getting used to. Batgirls is a really fun book.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Codependent Poster posted:

It's kind of rough and cartoony, but I think it's great in showing kinetic action and character expressions.

I know you didn’t mean it that way but there’s a part of me that cringes when a comic is described as “cartoony, but good”. Comics are supposed to be cartoony! Especially superhero comics, where a man dressed up as a bat fights an evil clown

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Cartoony more often than not just looks bad so I don’t think it actually fits superhero’s very well

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

I know you didn’t mean it that way but there’s a part of me that cringes when a comic is described as “cartoony, but good”. Comics are supposed to be cartoony! Especially superhero comics, where a man dressed up as a bat fights an evil clown

Yeah, maybe exaggerated is a better word to use. I think most comics still aim for realism in their drawings, and that art is a lot more stylized. So cartoony is probably not the best descriptor to use.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
No, I think cartoony here is the right word to use, I just think that superhero comics could stand to be drawn a lot less realistic. I don’t hugely like realism, especially in comics. I think comics lose a lot of charm when they’re drawn in a realistic style

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God, I can't wait for the Batgirls trade.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Also check out the Batgirls story from a couple of the earlier issues of Batman: Urban Legends. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find pages from it. Sweeney Boo does some great art.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Also check out the Batgirls story from a couple of the earlier issues of Batman: Urban Legends. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find pages from it. Sweeney Boo does some great art.

I just picked up the trade a couple days ago. Batgirls and Azrael? Sign me the gently caress up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think the Azrael story is just one segment. You’re going to be stuck with a lot of Grifter, and Outsiders chapters.

But you also get a great Red Hood story by Chip, and the story where Tim comes out as bi.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think the Azrael story is just one segment. You’re going to be stuck with a lot of Grifter, and Outsiders chapters.

But you also get a great Red Hood story by Chip, and the story where Tim comes out as bi.

I think Grifter and Red Hood were in volume 1, but this one does have Batgirls, Azrael, and I'm pretty sure Tim. I honestly paid very little attention to what else was in there.

Anyways, they announced an Azrael miniseries and I really liked this variant cover:

Unfortunately, I am having real trouble finding who actually did it. The solicitations say that variant covers are by Joshua Middleton, Claire Roe, and Joe Quesada and Tomeu Morey, but none of them seem to be the one who did this one. It's got initials, "CJW" but I am not the most artist minded and I'm not sure who that is, does anybody here recognise the style?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know why cover credits in general are so tough. In the actual comic, in the apps, sometimes in the trades as well, if the artist doesn't have a recognizable style or signature it's a crap shoot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

catlord posted:

Anyways, they announced an Azrael miniseries and I really liked this variant cover:

Apparently that’s a Christian Ward card stock cover.

EDIT: Just noticed his initials are sideways in the picture.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Apparently that’s a Christian Ward card stock cover.

EDIT: Just noticed his initials are sideways in the picture.

Thank you!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’ll cost an extra dollar than the regular cover, but it shouldn’t be an incentive variant. The Quesada one will probably be the hard to get one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm not sure if Rodriguez is the new artist or just the fill-in, but the artist for the first 6 issues has a distinct style of their own. It's kind of rough and cartoony, but I think it's great in showing kinetic action and character expressions.

The first issues are phenomenal as well. #7 just so happened to be the most recent one I had bought, so that's the one I decided to pick from. :sweatdrop:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

The first issues are phenomenal as well. #7 just so happened to be the most recent one I had bought, so that's the one I decided to pick from. :sweatdrop:

Nah I think his style fits the book really well and the pages you posted jumped out to me as well when I read them. So if he's the new regular artist that's cool too. Maybe they'll rotate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

thetoughestbean posted:

No, I think cartoony here is the right word to use, I just think that superhero comics could stand to be drawn a lot less realistic. I don’t hugely like realism, especially in comics. I think comics lose a lot of charm when they’re drawn in a realistic style

I feel like the whole point of comic book art is to be hyper-expressive or hyper-kinetic. To express reality in a way that is realer than real, and therefore more visceral. A pound of raw qualia smacking you in the face. Something so photorealistic that it looks like someone traced a cover of a fashion magazine (who knows, maybe they did!) paradoxically feels unnaturally stiff and therefore fake.