Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
This map is tailor-made for Grimm since defense doesn't matter with ooze, and therefore we must give him his due.

e: update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Agreed that Grimm seems perfect for this map. Let's pair him with Sensei as the extra transport movement could be useful in out maneuvering all the oozes.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah, I’ll put in for Team Yellow Comet as orange squad.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

As always The two you have used the least.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If you want to play with a few more skills and don't mind grinding some, this map has 14 oozium on it. We just established that an oozium is worth 40exp/warbucks. That's 560 exp or roughly 2 maps worth from just the oozium alone. Throw in the cannon and the normal points for mission ranking and its basically a level each time you run it. And the hard campaign gets the usual multiplier.

And more importantly, if you save after your victory in a different slot, you will be able to reload the mission and keep all that exp on your dudes.

Let's go with Jake and Javier. They were so Gung ho about rolling to the rescue. It would be rude not to pick them.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, Grimm/Sensei IMO, give yellow comet their time to shine.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I agree, let's do Grimm/Sensei

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
Grimm and Javier. The map is basically made for them, and I want to see how silly high Javiers attack bonus can go on his Super.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
That was indeed the first time one of the immortals has died, unless you're counting Rose in her fight with my dude. Nice work getting to just outside Hawke and Lash defecting without actually needing them!

Grimm and CP's choice

(Also make sure Rose gets deployed if possible, I wanna see the look on Hawke's face when "the meddlesome Desolate Flower" (he wasn't around for her retitle after all) is directly involved in saving him from the blob monsters)

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Grimm and Sensei. On Hard Campaign this is an insane map for grinding CO exp, especially if you choose to only use one CO and skills, giving the CO you use a 2.5x multiplier on score, so they get a crazy amount of exp. Beat the map and save on an alternate save slot, then go back to the pre-map save file and do it all again. Best way to unlock all the alternate costumes, since you can use any CO on Hard.

Anyway, here's the unique dialogue we didn't see for Into The Woods.

Jake/Rachel

It's just a bunch of dust! This land is totally wasted... It reminds me of what's happening back home.

Keep your chin up, Jake. We've got to keep hope alive. Remember, we're fighting to save all of Omega Land from this awful fate.

Colin/Sasha

How're you feeling, Sis? Any more creepy feelings?

Yes, actually. But I'll be all right, Colin. I'm ready to fight. Keep your eyes on those trees--they can hide all sorts of dangers.

Jess/Javier

I am Javier! Darkness, you are like nothing to me! Stay behind my shield, Jess!

I don't think so. Or have you forgotten sir knight--ladies first!

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys

FoolyCharged posted:

If you want to play with a few more skills and don't mind grinding some, this map has 14 oozium on it. We just established that an oozium is worth 40exp/warbucks. That's 560 exp or roughly 2 maps worth from just the oozium alone. Throw in the cannon and the normal points for mission ranking and its basically a level each time you run it. And the hard campaign gets the usual multiplier.

And more importantly, if you save after your victory in a different slot, you will be able to reload the mission and keep all that exp on your dudes.

Let's go with Jake and Javier. They were so Gung ho about rolling to the rescue. It would be rude not to pick them.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Grimm and Sensei. On Hard Campaign this is an insane map for grinding CO exp, especially if you choose to only use one CO and skills, giving the CO you use a 2.5x multiplier on score, so they get a crazy amount of exp. Beat the map and save on an alternate save slot, then go back to the pre-map save file and do it all again. Best way to unlock all the alternate costumes, since you can use any CO on Hard.

I might grind out the COs a little bit, actually. Since COs are determined by your votes, the exp's been spread pretty thin, and I'd like to play around with more skills and show them off in the LP itself. I won't go crazy, we'll see how much I want to run it.

SMaster777 posted:

That was indeed the first time one of the immortals has died, unless you're counting Rose in her fight with my dude. Nice work getting to just outside Hawke and Lash defecting without actually needing them!

Grimm and CP's choice

(Also make sure Rose gets deployed if possible, I wanna see the look on Hawke's face when "the meddlesome Desolate Flower" (he wasn't around for her retitle after all) is directly involved in saving him from the blob monsters)

Nice! Well done, me. I know it was a teensy bit of a cop-out, letting Diana survive because she was with Dimitri, but... look, it's a Fog of War map, I didn't want to do it another 4 or 5 times to get it deathless.

And of course, we must have Rose rescuing Hawke. He'll never live it down.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I always thought this was one of the more interesting maps, storywise and on a technical level, in spite of the fact that you're fighting pretty much one type of unit. You still have to be somewhat careful, since one mistake or miscalculation guarantees losing units. Do note that over the turns the oozium tends to clump up and reduce the effective... Uhh, "Surface area" to attack from, so be careful of that effect.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'll change my vote from Grimm/Sensei to Grimm/CP's Choice actually. The tag power bonus isn't that essential and the point about lots of comm towers for Javier is tempting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For Trivia. Von Bolt’s original JP name is Hell Bolt. (Like how Sturm was Hell Böse )

The Bolt Guard were Candle (Kindle), Chakka (Koal), and Zipo (Jugger) meanwhile.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 10, 2022

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Part 51 (Battle) - Around 51 Screenshots Of Oozium Being Shot At

Alright, let's fight some oozium!

The winner of the vote was Grimm by some margin, and Sensei's coming with him! Seems fitting that Yellow Comet and Rose would be the ones to save Hawke.

And considering how predictable oozium is, I don't foresee this being a difficult map. Deployments for the map as follows:

Today’s Deployments
Orange Team
Dimitri, Mech
Alina, Mech
Dymek, Mech
Arqa, Mech
Iago, Mech
Ludmilla, APC
Yakov, Recon
Inessa, Recon
Selena, Medium Tank
Rose, Neotank
Petra, Artillery
Kurtz, Rockets
Peregrine, Stealth Fighter
Andromeda, Battle Copter
Lysander, Transport Copter

Blue Team
Lash, APC
Hawke, Rockets

Heh. We're the ones that need to worry about being swallowed up.

So, the general plan is... fight the oozium, I guess? There's not much we can do in the way of strategy, since we just swarm any oozium nearby and kill it, then move on. I do plan to do a few cool things, though, so keep an eye out.

I haven't been in a fight like this for ages.

I've never really experienced conditions like these. I did some desert battle training with Nell in the War Room, though.

Take heed. Indirect-combat units function poorly when the desert winds are blowing. Specifically, their maximum range will be reduced by one.

Hawke? We can't trust you!

Regardless of your feelings, the factual information is correct. Hawke's not lying.

Word. Thanks for the hot tip, Hawke. Now that you've got my back, let's get out there and own some oozium!

So, let's not waste any time and get to the sploding. Kurtz opens fire on the oozium - it doesn't do much, but any chip damage is good.

Peregrine flies in to take it on at close-range. The most threatening thing about oozium is that it doesn't become less effective as it takes damage; so if you don't kill it in one turn, you WILL lose one of the units you left next to it. As such, we'll be surrounding and swarming each one as it comes to minimise risk.

Selena finishes off the oozium.

"It's done! That was... three of us? To take out one of them?"

"They're resilient." Rose mutters. "If we wish to save Hawke and Lash, we need to break the line and give them an avenue of escape. But Hawke's rocket unit can't move too far."

"It moves faster than the oozium, and that's the important thing." Dimitri replies, grunting as he marches through the sand.

"Correct. Let's do it, then."

Ludmilla's got an important job on this map, which is Constantly Resupply Peregrine So She Doesn't loving Explode.

You'll never guess what happened during my first run of this map.

We gather the squad like this. Due to the oozium only moving one space, you can literally stand anywhere that isn't adjacent to them and be fine. First map in a while where I've not really had to worry about enemy ranges.

We also get a turn with Hawke and Lash - if they were AI controlled, this map would be a pain. But we have them, and we can move them out of harm's way without much trouble.

Lash makes her escape in the APC, joining up with the Allied Nations forces. Hawke's, uh... gonna need to catch up. He's safe for now, though, so we just need to make sure to murder all that oozium around him.

So, let's see what Koal is going to do. Move his ooziums one space, I guess?

Immediately after doing so, he also uses his CO Power, which, uh, is not terribly useful, since it only affects those missiles at the top of the map. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with oozium that get extra movement. That'd be brutal.

His missiles moved one space. It was an unsuccessful turn for poor Koal.

The two oozium (does it have an s for plurals? I have no idea. I'm probably going to flick between both) nearest to Hawke need to go, so Dimitri gets started on this one.

Alina catches him up.

"Fighting to save the enemy! Kinda crazy, isn't it?" she says, firing on the oozium.

"I don't blame 'em." Dimitri replies, observing the oozium with a look of utter disgust. "If I saw these things on my side, I'd change sides pretty quick-like, too."

Yakov and Inessa, our two recons, do decent damage to oozium, actually; as my readers said, machine gun fire from things like infantry and recons are surprisingly effective on oozium, so our recons will be quite important on this map, despite the desert hampering their movement.

Yakov takes on this one and successfully defeats it. "One down." he announces over the transceiver. "We've nearly made an escape for Hawke."

"Right!" Inessa says. "The air squad is moving in now - we'll take on that one nearest to Hawke!"

Selena takes on the oozium first - we need to move her slowly up the map for a cool thing later, so this is just helping me get her into the perfect position.

Peregrine flies in to land another solid blow. Requiring three units for one oozium really does limit how many we can take out per turn - especially since some of our most effective units, our mechs and recons, have limited movement and can't always get into position.

"Perry, I will break, shatter--no, splat this loving ooze!" Andromeda replies, flying her copter in and opening fire.

"Thanks, Andy! Rose, is the way clear on the ground?"

"I believe so, yes." Rose replies. "Hawke, do you copy?"

"...Yes." comes the cold response. "We will move in when it is safe."

The rest of the troops move in, which is rather unhelpfully preventing Hawke from actually moving west. Whoops.

He can at least move further away from the oozium, though.

Hawke heads south, and is rejoined by Lash.

Hawke! You're OK!

We aren't out of the woods yet.

That my dude! I can't BELIEVE we owe him for this!

We owe them nothing. They are choosing to do this themselves. At least...that's what I'm telling myself. I refuse to owe the Desolate Flower a single thing.

Time for the oozium to sludge around again.

Yup. That sure was a turn when you have a shitload of oozium and very little else.

Let's continue chipping away, then!

And now we move Selena up here, where she can both fire on the oozium and be in the perfect position for next turn. Great work, me.

Peregrine helps again - having some airborne units on this map is proving to be very nice indeed.

And Inessa finishes.

"There we go! Another down, but man, they give me the creeps..." Inessa says.

"Keep it up - I know it's a strange foe, but it's never been normal where Black Hole is involved." Selena replies.

We gather the group like so - once again, Ludmilla's resupplying all the fuel-guzzlers, especially Peregrine.

I move Rose in the Neotank up north - she'll be useful up there, and I think Dimitri and Alina can handle themselves in the south, with rocket and recon support.

So, now that we've rescued Hawke and Lash, we may as well start putting them to use.

And their use is, uh, doing chip damage to the oozium. Look, it's better than nothing.

Any damage is good damage, so I'm not complaining. Last thing I need is someone dying.

This is such a wacky map. I love the more experimental map designs in the series, and this is definitely one of them.

Goddammit, this loser's using his CO Power for no reason again. This map, both gameplay and plot-wise, really feels like there shouldn't be an enemy CO - just a bunch of unmanned ooziums.

Our turn again! Let's cause some chaos.

But we can't cause chaos without first shooting this thing. For you see, Petra's slight chip damage on this...

Gives us access to this.

oh my god he makes puns on his own name

So, why do we need all this stupid amount of damage, you ask? One main reason, really, and it's not the oozium.

It's so Selena can comfortably one-shot this cannon, and remove it as a threat.

I mean, OK, strategically we didn't need to do this, but one-shotting cannons makes me feel cool.

And hey, it lets all of our other units, like Alina here, do way more damage to the ooziums, so not a waste in the slightest.

Hell yeah, Dimitri!

"Another one down! How many are there left?" Dimitri says, trying to stare through the swirling sandstorm.

"Still plenty more, I'm afraid!" Inessa replies.

"Same here." Yakov says. "We're slowly turning the tide, though."

"Then let's keep at it, Alina." Dimitri says grimly.

"Right behind you, Meteor." Alina replies.

We can bro copter this oozium's face off. Do they have faces? Well, it gets bro-coptered anyway.

And thanks to the big damage boost, Inessa can take this oozium out, leaving our really heavy hitters to go for another one.

Combined with Neotank support after, that's a two-shot! Go for it, Peregrine!

Rose rumbles forward and releases a mighty blast that bursts through the outer shell of the ooze, destroying the core within. Rose narrows her eyes.

"Such an awful creation. We need to erase it immediately."

"Yeah, we are, Rose." Peregrine replies. "Come on, we've fuckin' got this! Show us a smile!"

"Oh, if I must..." Rose says, smiling to herself inside her tank, but it just as quickly fades away as she looks back up out of her Neotank. "...But saving Hawke... it feels so very counterproductive."

As per usual, we end our turn without being adjacent to any of the slimy fuckers. Except Hawke. We'll move him in a second.

Like, uh, now, I guess.

Hawke decides to, what we call in layman's terms, "get the gently caress out of there".

Like, yeah, the insta-kill potential and the huge defences of the oozium are kinda tough gameplay-wise, but other than that, I really can't feel threatened by these things. This map, presumably intended to show off their danger, instead shows off how easy it is for even weak units to gang up and take them on.

They just go "blob" and move closer to your units before getting their faces shot off. Sorry, Kindle, Neotanks were cooler.

Hell, piperunners were cooler.

Back to the old "shooting oozium" thing, anyway. Dimitri and Alina will be taking this one on, with Dimitri firing first.

May as well hit it with rockets for the extra damage - Kurtz lands a solid blow.

And well, since we're doing chip damage, Petra can do the same to this one up here, albeit much less successfully.

Alina can't reach the lower oozium from any space other than the bottom, so I'm moving the recon in that space, Yakov, up here to attack this one. Taking out these two shouldn't be a problem with all our firepower.

That opens the space for Alina to move in and finish off the oozium.

Inessa decides to help out her twin brother and also fires on the upper oozium, weakening it further. And with just enough damage, I think...

Perfect - Andromeda can finish it!

"The blob, ooze, oozium is defeated! We can... move on now?"

"Correct." Rose replies. "We must move towards the enemy HQ - nothing but a total rout of the enemy's forces will buy us the time we need to escape."

"I'd better rejoin you, then." Selena says. "There's not too many left, from what I can see. We've got to move forward and destroy it all!"

"We will, but we can't afford to rush things. One slip-up and we perish." Rose says.

We gather our forces, ready for some more swarmin' and slayin' next turn.

Oh yeah, these two exist. I keep forgetting.

May as well move them forward - Hawke should be in range to fire on a few of the ooziums if they move in.

And hey, it's their turn to move! At least because they all move just one space, the enemy phases don't take like ten minutes to observe playing out. That's an advantage.

I mean, it's all the same to you guys reading via screenshots, but look, watching long-rear end enemy turns, it grates on you. Especially when it's mostly dicks capturing properties.

They have indeed moved closer. Their mistake, really.

We're pretty close to two useful things - getting our Tag Power, and killing enough oozium that the rest can be routed via a Tag Power. I think, if we take out a few more of them...

Like this one, which Dimitri immediately goes for.

Alina helps.

The oozium remains resolutely un-exploded though, so we apply Yakov to the problem until it goes away.

Again, may as well chip this thing. Why would they even give us an artillery when it's this useless?

Now THAT'S damage. Nicely done, Rose.

We can keep bullying this thing with all our strong units - Peregrine next.

Hm. Seems like kind of a waste to have Selena do just 1 damage.

We'll move her out of the way and have Inessa do it.

Even closer to our Tag Power now! That'll be an excellent finisher if we can get everyone into a good position. It's those missiles that are the big problem - nobody's near them right now, even with two Tag turns to get there.

We'll figure that out later. Right now, let's get Hawke into a useful position so he can shoot things.

Like here! No matter where that oozium in his range goes, down or left, it'll still be in his range. And ooziums tend not to flee, from what I've seen, so I don't envision it moving up or right.

Oh, Koal's got his SCOP. Cute. And again, utterly useless.

It's nice to not have to worry about an enemy CO Power for once, honestly. Usually they're very concerning because they often mean at least one of my units will die.

But this? It's just cute.

Right, back to the REAL COs doing business, Koal.

Ludmilla, in the APC, and Lysander, in the transport copter, get Dimitri and Alina into a perfect position to move on the ooziums nearby. We're gonna tag next turn, I think, so I'm getting everything prepped for a perfect victory.

This loser has to go, though, so Selena shoots him a bunch.

Rose can help, and once again, we've moved one of our units into a useful position for next time.

And- what the gently caress?

"Your oozium is worthless. Only a fool would fall into its trap, and we are far from that. I have foreseen a great many battles in my time, but this is the first battle where I have known my victory was assured without even needing to consider every option. Slow, unintelligent... you really think the oozium is a match for my dude? For Rose Kuroda, for Vanessa Kita Farid? For the Allied Nations and Commander Rachel? Worthless!" Rose replies, releasing an enormous blast from her cannon which splatters the oozium in a single shot.

42% turned into 6 damage?! Goddamn, Rose. Critical hits are real, I knew it.

Dimitri breathes out. "drat... she really eviscerated that thing."

Alina nods. "Yeah. That Rose is remarkable."

Well, guess we didn't need Hawke after all, now that Rose just kind of destroyed that oozium.

I'll move him up here - he should be able to fire on at least one of these - that one to the west is my main concern, since it's further away from the rest of my soldiers.

I bet Rose killed that thing on purpose to ensure Hawke had nothing to do on his turn. Though, is Rose that petty?

The oozium moves in for one final time.

Now let's get started.

What do you say, Rose? Is it time our two COs tagged?

I think a good Tag Power here will decimate the remaining foes, my dude. Let's do it.

You heard her, Grimm, Sensei! Time for you to do your thing!

Grimm, you literally have Rose in your employ, you can't say poo poo about little girls. They're on par with your own badassery.

A unique tag, too! Probably not a surprise - I'm pretty certain each pair from each country will have a unique tag, but hey, it's cool.

Rose charges off - she's planning on removing that offending missile unit, and from her current position, she can just barely make it with the second turn she'll get from the tag.

The rest of the troops will be doing a hell of a lot of murdering things. Kurtz opens fire on the nearest oozium first!

Yakov helps - I might be able to take it out with just one of my mechs, leaving the other one free to go somewhere else.

Oh, easily! Hell yeah, that makes my job easier.

"I ain't planning on handin' this world over to goo and aliens!" Dimitri yells, blasting the oozium to pieces with a well-aimed shot of his bazooka. "Now you'd better get moving, Alina."

"On it - Lysander, can you be my wings?" Alina asks.

The transport copter flies over as Alina races towards it. Lysander gives a salute from the cockpit.

"Course I can, beaut. There's more oozium further ahead, so let's not waste time."

Alina gets dropped off next to this one.

With some enormous damage from Selena, the pair of them should be able to take it out on Sensei's action.

I make a start on the faraway oozium by sending Peregrine to get it. She's got pretty good damage, too.

Inessa attacks this oozium from the left - this is actually really important, since I want her to go west and take on the faraway oozium next turn, in case Peregrine can't finish it off on Sensei's action. By attacking from the left, she's got the movement to reach the faraway oozium.

Andromeda heads up to attack this one in the meantime. Man, Grimm's damage increase is pretty great.

Still, we've done all we can, so let's swap over!

We... we literally haven't swapped with you all battle, what do you mean, quick?

I mean, yes, we are beating the oozium pretty quickly, to be fair.

Sensei's not got the same insane damage as Grimm, but he should have enough to finish off the oozium. No matter how terrible the other CO is, just getting a second turn is absurd. I wonder how Eagle works with tags? Presumably you'd have to go with him first, since his CO Power coming second would do the exact same thing as the tag would - just giving his units more actions.

Sensei does, uh, provide backup. I guess Dymek, Arqa and Iago are here now.

And Rose can reach and outright loving obliterate the missiles! Just the ooziums left now!

Alina fires on this one, but doesn't have the damage to kill it.

Ooh, Peregrine might be able to kill this one, actually. And she does, taking it out rather conveniently! We can definitely rout the enemy now - watch this.

First, Dimitri begins attacking this full-HP one.

And some extra chip damage from Petra for the fun of it.

Yakov can't finish this one off, but he can do solid enough damage to it.

And with a shot from Inessa...

One from Andromeda...

And a final blast from Selena...

We're done!

It appears you have rescued us.

I am not often childish, but...I'm going to lord this over you forever.

...Such is the price of my survival. My...my thanks, Rose Kuroda. Hmph...

We want answers, not your thanks. Why were those things chasing you? You're in the Black Hole Army.

We knew too much.

What do you mean?

Hmm...I suppose it would be in my best interest to tell you everything. I'm going to need your power if I'm ever going to escape from his grip.

That's an interesting thing to say considering the circumstances. But we'll come back to that later. For now, start talking.

We won! And HOLY poo poo look at those points. Yeah, I see why my commenters said this would be a good map to grind on. As it happens, I'm out of town next Friday and can't post an update, so I might grind out some of the CO's levels this week so we can see and demonstrate a few of the higher-level skills. Plus, it might help me keep all these people alive in what are presumably the hardest maps in the game, coming up.

Grimm and Sensei get their first promotion; a well-deserved one, too.

I... literally can't tell if that's shared ending dialogue or not. Grimm sounds like he's not even on this planet any more.

Still, there's an upcoming mission for us, so let's see what's coming up next.

This Von Bolt guy is manipulating Black Hole from behind the scenes.

Exactly. He's using the Black Hole Army as a tool to leverage his own ambitions.

And I suppose that's NOT what you were doing with them in the last campaign?

Oh, SNAP!

Why...are these two here?

I ask myself the same question regularly.

I used Black Hole to test my power, but I have no quarrel with the world itself, not like Von Bolt does. You can thank him for turning this place into a wasteland, too.

So we take that old dude down and save the planet. 'Nuff said.

Sounds like the best course of action to me.

But we don't even know where he is!

Hand me your map.

What?

There's a well-camouflaged base in the middle of Red Rock Desert. Take this road--it will lead you right to it.

Are you serious?

Don't let him fool you! He's one of them!

So was Von Panzer, Max! And in case you've forgotten, he's almost singlehandedly responsible for saving Alfonse's life, not to mention all the other times he's held the line!

That's different! Hawke's one of the COs!

Chill, Max. It's cool.

Jake? Did you fall on your head? Can't you see what he's doing?

Think about it. What does Black Hole get by invading a bunch of dried-up land?

There's no tactical benefit. It's not even scorched-earth policy--Omega Land is the most resource-thin of the continents even before they started draining the land dry.

We've seen that Black Hole is obsessed with pipes and factories, taking our resources. The fact that we've barely encountered any factories here just shows that they aren't prioritising resource collection.

Exactly, they don't get jack. The army can't be behind this.

If they wanted the resources, they'd just take them like they have in the past.

They haven't. Thus, this isn't bleeding the land dry for a tactical purpose--this is out-and-out psychopathy.

There's got to be some evil freakjob pulling the strings.

Yeah, but, Jake, my dude...

Grrr... All right, fine. There's no way I'm trustin' a word out of anyone from Black Hole! But I'll trust you two, Jake and my dude. Even if I do think you're kind of crazy.

I'm with you, too, Jake.

And me?

Only by technicality. Hawke has pointed the way--let's roll out!

Wait. Lash and I are coming with you.

Huh?! Have you completely snapped?!

You want to join our alliance? What are you scheming?

I...don't think he's scheming anything, Commander.

You have my dude and Rose; your victory is virtually inevitable. I'm merely joining the winning side. This way, I'll have a better chance to survive. That is all. I'm going to use you. You're going to use me. It's that simple.

If we're going to believe what you told us, we might as well trust you. OK--Hawke, Lash...you're in! But I'm in charge--what I say goes.

I can't believe you're serious about this! Us, on the same side as my dude?!

Yeah, I can't loving believe this either.

Welcome to our crew, Hawke. You too, Lash.

Spare me. I fight for myself. If you want to save your land, we must go. They're moving out even as we speak.

I hear you. Prepare to move out! And my dude, take that look off your face!

I am not sure I'm going to like this. ...Someone's going to have to tell Vanessa that Lash is with us now.

I'll break the news! Me and Vanessa, we get along! OH YEAH!

Yes, you're both...uh...

Energetic, to put it charitably?

Yes. That.

So, let's check out the next mission, then. We have two new COs to play with, so that's going to be fun!

Look at all these wrecked units. It's giving me the creeps.

We called this the Tower of Rebirth. It was used to repair all of the units you damaged. With the power of the crystals, we can completely repair anything in five days.

The units we damaged..? From the last campaign?

Yes, why?

Hm. No reason.

The curtain of your trickery is lifted! This is the source of your endless horde!

Let's take it down!

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down, kid!

I saw this kind of thing back on Bearen Island. Those black crystals are suckin' the life out of the land. Those things are so going down--I don't even care what it takes.

Jake's right. We can't let this continue!

Regardless, we can't move forward as long as they are standing. The black crystals must fall.

It's going to be a little harder than just taking out the crystals.

What do you mean, my dude?

Well, if it isn't the bird-boy betrayer and his squeaky little friend, Lash. I was sure you pests had been squashed, yet here you are. How annoying.

Shut up Kindle I'm explaining things

Do it quickly, then! What's the problem?

Kindle, you ketchup-tipped overgrown hunk of asparagus! You're gonna pay!

Well, this is the graveyard of all the destroyed poo poo from the previous war. Where all the broken things ended up.

Oh my, what a fierce little kitten you've become. And such a sharp tongue! You're guilty of treason, and I sentence you to death. I'm the judge and jury--now my army will be my executioner's axe.

Would you SHUT UP?

What's with all the broken things, then, my dude?

This is where Sturm's mask probably ended up. The Tower of Rebirth...what better place to reinvent yourself?

So you're sayin' the Director got her start here?

And if we're threatening the place, chances are solid that she's here defending it.

Aha ha ha! You are bright, aren't you, my dude? Just like the others said you were. Madam Director, it seems your friends are here! Want to say hello?

...Selena is here. I can feel it. Finally...I can...kill you.

She doesn't seem to be in the mood for pleasantries, I'm afraid. Unlike the traitorous two over there, Madam Director understands the importance of our work. Don't you, love?

Kindle's lying. You think the Director can be saved? You may be correct. It is worth trying.

You're...you're saying THIS is the battle that we have to save the Director?

That Neotank in the middle. We need to keep her alive so Selena can talk to her.

My dude...that's not going to be easily done.

We have to try. Rose--you'll be taking care of the battle. My dude--get a crack team and prepare to get Selena over to the Director.

Right.

Yes, Commander.

Battle software loaded.

Aha ha ha. Turn off your speaker, Jugger. There's only room for one on this stage. Now then, are you ready, fools? Behold the power of the Tower of Rebirth. Bow down and beg for mercy! Aha ha ha!

The bottom...

...and the top of the map. So we have two teams, four COs total, and we've just unlocked Lash and Hawke. I'll grind up the COs to give them some levels, so you guys can choose whoever you want! Just do be aware that I intend to try and beat the map without destroying the central Neotank - i.e. I'm already making this map hard enough for myself, so please don't feel the need to make it any harder.

Either way, as I said earlier, I am busy next week, so I'll see you the week after with some freshly-promoted COs and... a very interesting map to try and beat!

Part 52 (Intermission) - The Fires Of Ambition

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 19, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hawk/Lash as Blue Moon.

Jess/Javier as Orange Star

I feel like Javier is going to like the early comm towers that are available.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This next map rules, it's a really cool concept.

Anyway you are absolutely bonkers if you don't take the Hawke/Lash team out for a spin. This is very much a Sasha map too. 4th can be your choice.

Dialogue!

Jake/Rachel

Don't rush it, Jake. The oozium will turn and target you.

Chill, Rachel. Oozium is all decrepit slow. As long as I don't get surrounded, I'll be OK. I just have to get those two out of there fast.

Colin/Sasha

Aggh! Sand...in my eyes! I can't see anything!

Oh dear, whatever am I going to do with you, Colin? Come over here. All this sand reduces the effectiveness of our indirect-combat units.

Jess/Javier

Beasts of repugnancy! I, Javier, will kick the rump of your evil rampage!

No, no, no... Javier, use your head! We can't fight them head on. Let's try to think of another strategy.

Jess/Jake

The oozium 238 is highly resistant to our weaponry. We may not be able to outgun them in head-to-head combat.

It's all good. We'll figure out a way to spank these tubs of goop.

Also I'll highlight this one from if Grimm is deployed without Sensei.

The only thing I like jelly in is a donut!

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Oh God you chose this map to make even harder on yourself?

I can't wait.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Rachel: That's an interesting thing to say considering the circumstances.

Missing talking head image?

Oozium are just so unnecessary. They do seem especially targeted for your style though. An occasional instant-kill on a normal run of something you don't care about is even less of a concern, and on this map there isn't even anything to follow up and take advantage of the situation.

Did I miss how tag powers work? I thought you had to charge both CO's SCOPs, but you never switched away from Grimm, so how did Sensei's get charged?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

DKII posted:

Did I miss how tag powers work? I thought you had to charge both CO's SCOPs, but you never switched away from Grimm, so how did Sensei's get charged?

The CO in the back gets half the charge as one in the front does, but they get charge all the same.

As for that critical hit, that's a combination of the 42% base damage, and a good roll on luck. Compatibility stars like the one that Grimm and Sensei have, give +5 luck per star, making their attacks get a 0-14% luck bonus. The oozium was probably a little below 60% health and we got a high roll..

Related note, this makes any 3-star compatibility teams really strong since they have +15 to their maximum luck roll. This means Sasha/Colin is even more broken than they already seem!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Remalle posted:

Listen, it could be worse.

Sasha/Javier on Orange Star

Hawke/Lash on Blue Moon

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

SoundwaveAU posted:

This next map rules, it's a really cool concept.

Grimm is absolutely excellent, all of his lines are great. And yeah, I'm looking forward to this next map, seems like it'll be fun!

DKII posted:

Missing talking head image?

Oozium are just so unnecessary. They do seem especially targeted for your style though. An occasional instant-kill on a normal run of something you don't care about is even less of a concern, and on this map there isn't even anything to follow up and take advantage of the situation.

Fixed, thank you! And yeah, it's a weird map unless you're specifically playing in my rear end-backwards Fire Emblem fashion, and even then, I made it through fine.

TeeQueue posted:

The CO in the back gets half the charge as one in the front does, but they get charge all the same.

As for that critical hit, that's a combination of the 42% base damage, and a good roll on luck. Compatibility stars like the one that Grimm and Sensei have, give +5 luck per star, making their attacks get a 0-14% luck bonus. The oozium was probably a little below 60% health and we got a high roll..

Related note, this makes any 3-star compatibility teams really strong since they have +15 to their maximum luck roll. This means Sasha/Colin is even more broken than they already seem!

Man, I keep on forgetting about that compatibility star bonus. I really ought to start taking advantage of that more with stuff like Sasha/Colin, yeah...

Nell/Rachel must be kind of busted too, come to think of it. Or, at least, have the potential to be busted if your luck rolls are crazy.

Remalle posted:

I can't wait.

Wh-

What does this mean Remalle

AweStriker posted:

Listen, it could be worse.

What does THAT mean?! Oh my god, I didn't think this map looked too scary if you played aggressively but I'm suddenly really concerned...

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Aww, an off week before a Director chapter. Sadness.

Hawke/Lash and Sasha/Rachel. Colors are CP Choice.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Oozium map isn't too difficult, it's mostly about showing off their gimmicks in a more or less white room scenario. That said, it is pretty easy to get Hawke killed if you're not paying attention, since he and Lash start in the middle of a pack of Oozium and his movement is atrocious until you get him over to the solid ground closer to you HQ. Also, it's worth noting that Oozium get a lot scarier if they clump up- they barely take chip damage from ranged attacks, and if two or three form up adjacent to each other it gets a lot harder to take them out safely.

The upcoming map is also a gimmick map, as you can probably guess just by looking at it. I don't want to spoil it until you actually get started, but I will say it'll probably end about as quickly as this last map, one way or another.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

cosmicPostman posted:

The two oozium (does it have an s for plurals? I have no idea. I'm probably going to flick between both) nearest to Hawke need to go, so Dimitri gets started on this one.

The name seems to be a play on chemical element names (helium, lithium, uranium, etc.), in which case it's sort of a mass noun and "oozium" would just refer to any amount of the substance. You could say "oozium units" if you need to be precise.

Or you could go the fun route and pluralize it as "oozia."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Let's go with Rachel/Hawke on blue and Javier/Jess on red

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hawke/Lash and Javier... /somebody. Probably Jess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

One thing this map taught me was that plainswalker is a surprisingly powerful skill for the campaign. 1/3 of your attacking units are on wheels here and the desert is 99% plains. Having recons that can still move at full speed on that gets silly.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

SMaster777 posted:

Aww, an off week before a Director chapter. Sadness.

I know, it's rough. I'm away graduating in the city where I studied, actually! I was supposed to in 2020 and it got delayed a couple of years.

kvx687 posted:

The Oozium map isn't too difficult, it's mostly about showing off their gimmicks in a more or less white room scenario. That said, it is pretty easy to get Hawke killed if you're not paying attention, since he and Lash start in the middle of a pack of Oozium and his movement is atrocious until you get him over to the solid ground closer to you HQ. Also, it's worth noting that Oozium get a lot scarier if they clump up- they barely take chip damage from ranged attacks, and if two or three form up adjacent to each other it gets a lot harder to take them out safely.

The upcoming map is also a gimmick map, as you can probably guess just by looking at it. I don't want to spoil it until you actually get started, but I will say it'll probably end about as quickly as this last map, one way or another.

Yeah, I found on my first run that the oozium is super annoying if it clumps up together. It can definitely be a threat in large numbers - this one was just easier because they all started separate.

Alien Arcana posted:

The name seems to be a play on chemical element names (helium, lithium, uranium, etc.), in which case it's sort of a mass noun and "oozium" would just refer to any amount of the substance. You could say "oozium units" if you need to be precise.

Or you could go the fun route and pluralize it as "oozia."

I like oozia, you're absolutely right. That's it, that's the one.

FoolyCharged posted:

One thing this map taught me was that plainswalker is a surprisingly powerful skill for the campaign. 1/3 of your attacking units are on wheels here and the desert is 99% plains. Having recons that can still move at full speed on that gets silly.

Full-movement recons would have been real nice, yeah. Guess it's time for me to start grinding out those COs. I probably won't max them out, but are there any ranks you guys would recommend I get to to make my life easier? What kinda skills will be handy for my kind of playstyle/the upcoming maps?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

There's a map later on that will be significantly easier if you unlock the skill for 1 tile movement through woods.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Primary: Grind Sasha to LVL 9 (for Missions 22, 24, 26, & 27).

Secondary: Grind to LVL 5+ for Colin (for Missions 22 & 28, and to power-up Sasha).

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 17, 2022

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hey CP, good work on yet another great Advance Wars LP.

I recently made a new Advance Wars megathread, and linked all your LPs (including this one) in the OP:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4002244

IntruderVux
Feb 9, 2014
Hawke/Lash and Jess/Javier. Your choice of team.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Part 53 (Battle) - I’m Here To Break Crystals And Save The Director, And I'm All Out Of Director

Whilst I'm organising the soldiers for the battle ahead, there's a knock on my office door.

"Come in."

Selena enters. She looks at me nervously. "Um, my dude... I... would like to be deployed as an APC for this battle."

"An APC? Are you sure?" I say.

But she nods. She's often nervous, but today, she looks certain about what she's doing.

"I am. I have to show Lena that I'm not here to fight her. I refuse to point a weapon at her."

"Alright, if you're sure. I'll make the changes. And... Selena?"

Selena turns back to me.

"Good luck." I say. There's not much else to say.

Hello, and welcome back to Advance Wars: Dual Strike! We have a hell of a map today, but hey, I've had a hell of a grinding session. So, as suggested by readers, I played the last map quite a few times to get more ranks on the COs, and uh... it went well. Our current ranks:

Jake - Rank 6
Rachel - Rank 6
Max - Rank 5
Colin - Rank 6
Sasha - Rank 9
Jess - Rank 6
Javier - Rank 6
Sensei - Rank 6
Grimm - Rank 6

And uh, since Hawke and Lash are force-deployed in that map, they got the points from every single run, so they're, uh.

Hawke - Rank 24
Lash - Rank 24

Yeah. I did this map a lot.

Still, it'll give us more skills to work with in future, so let's show them off! For this map, we're going with Jess/Javier as the orange team, and Hawke/Lash as the blue team.

And they have some skills!

For Jess, we're just doubling down on her brute strength. Prairie Dog is also very useful - we need rockets in places, and moving them across plains is painful otherwise.

Javier's mostly playing support, boosting Jess' offenses. I've also taken Star Power on both of them - we need a tag before Black Hole gets one, and this may help put things in our favour.

Hawke can take some even spicier options, being such a high rank - +20% attack in a sandstorm is fantastic, so we may as well abuse that on this map.

Like Javier, Lash is supporting Hawke, though she has more options to do so. I've also taken a defensive skill on her, just in case I need to switch to her to utilise her big defensive bonuses.

Without further ado, let's get started!

Today’s Deployments
Orange Team
Howard, Infantry
Wallace, Mech
Kiran, APC
Lorelei, Recon
Petra, Anti-Air
Mulligan, Tank
Cassandra, Medium Tank
Rose, Neotank
Dimitri, Megatank
Vanessa, Artillery
Kurtz, Rockets

Blue Team
Alfonse, Mech
Dave, Mech
Selena, APC
Fliss, Anti-Air
Ingo, Rockets
Harlow, Missiles
Raynald, Fighter
Lucy, Bomber
Julian, Stealth Fighter
Von Panzer, Battle Copter
Fleur, Transport Copter

All for the chocolaty treasures within!

I loving love Javier's lines, have I mentioned?

This time I'm with you 100 percent, Javier.

So, the orange and blue teams have very different goals on this map. Generally they'll both be smashing crystals, but in particular the orange team is going to push north to break the upper crystals, whilst the blue team handles Madam Director - who, if you'll recall, is in the Neotank in the centre of the map there. How do we keep her alive when she's going to be Neotanking our face off every turn? I guess try and prevent her from healing up. Let's see what we can do about that!

We're going to play very aggressively on this first turn. The enemy outnumber us by quite some margin, so we need to close the gap somehow. Rose blasts this infantry.

That opens the way for Dimitri, in the megatank, to destroy the first crystal.

Booyah! The crystal blows up. Just five more to go.

There's a few foes that would be seriously bad news if they healed up - like this fighter here. He's gotta go, so Petra slaughterises him.

"Got a comm tower, almost..." Howard says, eyeing the battlefield. "Urgh. All those half-dead machines out there... I hate it. Like some kind of military graveyard."

"Let's just hope it's not our graveyard." Mulligan replies. "Keep working on that comm tower, Howard!"

"Well, I will - but there's an artillery nearby, and it might, uh, fire on..."

Howard trails off as a medium tank rumbles past him and obliterates the artillery. Cassandra lifts the transceiver victoriously.

"What artillery? Don't worry, Howard - me and Mull have your back."

"Man, you guys are the best. Thanks."

We also need to deal with the things down here - Lorelei, in a recon, lands this very spicy kill on the tank.

Our rockety friend Kurtz can finish off the recon. Reduced range is annoying, but rockets' range is so massive that you barely notice most of the time. It's more noticeable with artilleries.

Finally, Howard deals with this thing, just because I hate ranged units. Enemy ranged units, that is. Fuckin' love artilleries, as you well know.

And that's about it for the orange team this turn! The enemy will probably descend upon us viciously next time, but I'm hoping they don't hit too hard. We'll see how it goes. Over to the blue team!

You're gonna eat what you dished out, only a hundred times worse!

Don't forget about me, Kindle. It's time for some payback.

And hey, Madam Director! You've gotta stop working for these clowns as soon as you can! Why are you still listening to them?!

All right! Time for Operation-

Oh, THIS ought to be good. What silly operation name have you come up with this time?

…Actually, I’m not in a joking mood today. Operation Save Lena is go.

That’s...surprisingly mature of you. Alright, let’s do it then! Operation Save Lena! Move out!

My dude? What are you smirking about?

OK, you CANNOT tell Rachel this, but I actually called it Operation Hey Soul Sister.

Dave heads up to capture a comm tower - if they're going to give them to me, I'm going to use them.

"Do I... seriously have to wear this spacesuit?" Dave grumbles.

"Aw, you look kind of cute in it!" Rin replies, beaming. "Guess Hawke and Lash have a different uniform than the rest of the countries!"

"But why does it look like this?" Alfonse sighs.

Once again, we need to open the way to the crystals, so Fliss takes out this battle copter with an absolutely preposterous amount of damage.

Julian, in the stealth fighter, needs no support to take out a crystal on his own. Goddrat, I love stealth fighters. And also high-rank skills. I don't think rank 1 Hawke can pull this off.

This crystal needs a two-shot, so Ingo sets it up with a rocket attack...

Which lets our battle copter, Von Panzer, take it out. I could've sent Lucy in the bomber to one-tap it, but I'd rather send Von Panzer since he can reliably survive everything with 1HP, regardless of what happens.

(OK, mechanically, I don't actually remember why I did this. I think I wanted Lucy to conserve her HP for something?)

Alfonse takes out another enemy. If they're going to sit around with 1HP, I'm going to punish them for it. Besides, we can't waste time - after four days, the back group will be practically back up to full, and there's a lot of nasty units up there.

Lucy takes out this artillery to protect Dave, just like we did on the other side. I know they're on 1HP, but I don't want my infantry to take chip damage and then be unable to capture the comm towers on day 2.

There's so many god drat anti-airs around. I'm nervous. Still, this is the end of our first turn, so let's see how it goes.

Do your worst, Kindle.

The crystals flash, and heal up all the units around them. It's not... super threatening? I mean, gently caress, Dipshit can do a better AoE heal than that.

It does put us on a time limit to finish the map though, so let's not waste time.

Oh, shut up, you old hag.

This absolutely suicidal loving mech tries to fight Dimitri, and gets utterly deleted for his trouble.

This is a bit nastier - this medium tank goes all in on poor Petra. Thankfully, she survives, but it's a heavy blow.

And despite me blocking off this loving anti-air with Selena in the APC, I somehow miscounted the anti-air's movement range and it gets a free shot in on Raynald of Châtillon. gently caress.

All the weakened anti-airs start charging for Julian. He takes out the first one, and I was like "hell yeah!"

...before I realised that meant another one could take its place and get a second shot on him.

Thankfully, he was weakened enough that he was unable to take this one out, so he survives the turn. But still, that was... troublesome.

Still worth it to not have to deal with the crystal though. Meanwhile, a bro copter shoots Von Panzer and is very ineffective.

This fighter jet goes for Lucy, which is annoying, but on the other hand, it's moved itself into the open where I can kill it more easily.

And then Kindle makes the mistake of switching to Jugger, who is generally worse than she is. I'm really not complaining about that.

Admittedly there's not many cities around for Kindle to utilise, but Jugger's chance of less damage is really, really harmful to him.

Let's maintain this momentum, then. If we keep playing aggressively, we can fight the enemy whilst they're still weakened and sneakily destroy the last few crystals.

And hey, Howard got the comm tower! Slight damage increase, that'll help.

Mulligan heads up to bail out poor Julian.

"Thanks, my friend." Julian replies silkily. "I wasn't expecting the enemy to be so lively, considering what poor shape all these things are in."

"They're getting more repaired by the minute. Those crystals are terrifying." Mulligan says. "Look after yourself, uh, Julian, right?"

"Quite. We will - you just focus on breaking the crystals. We'll handle the Director."

I move Dimitri down to take out this medium tank and holy gently caress that's a lot of damage. A smarter play might have been to move Dimitri up to tank hits from the enemy next turn, and use Rose to delete this guy, but eh, this works.

That's about it for the orange team, so let's see what the blue team are up to.

Dave nabs the comm tower for the blue team. Also useful!

Lucy gets rid of this annoying fucker before he can harass any more of my planes.

And thanks to the laws of equivalent exchange, I use Fliss to harass the enemy's planes. It's fine when I do it.

Moving forward here would be a bit risky, so I just arrange everyone like this and leave it for now. The orange team are the ones that need to concern themselves with pushing north; the blue team don't need to worry so much.

Now, I'm just hoping...

YES.

This is actually really good for us. Jugger's CO Power isn't super strong, and he's not really in range to attack very many of my units - so he's effectively wasting his CO meter on this weak attack, which buys us even MORE time to charge our tag before they get theirs.

This mech attacks Mulligan and gets murdered for his trouble.

The copter is slightly more threatening, and does a ton of damage. Mulligan's fine, though.

And, uh... yeah! Nothing else was in range, or nothing else that wanted to attack, anyway. Nice work on that CO Power, Jugger.

Let's punish them for their hubris.

Now, I'd like some silos very soon, so Howard hops into Kiran's APC, bound south.

"Hey there! I made some snacks, if you want something to eat on the way." Kiran says, gesturing to some nibbles on the seat next to him. Howard sits down and take a bite.

"Mm! Not bad at all... I could get used to an APC like this."

"I cook when I'm stressed, so I've always got tons of food to go around before a big battle like this." Kiran replies as he drives. Howard nods.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Battles like this are always stressful."

After Kiran drops Howard off, I move the indirects, Vanessa and Kurtz, south to break these pipe seams. The more silos I can access, the better. I need to undo the healing the enemy units are getting every turn.

Petra bitchslaps this bro copter out of existence. They're the only real threat to my tank domination, so I'd like them all gone as soon as possible. I can see another one lurking in the top right, you bastard.

I form a defensive wall like so - Petra is open, but I'm gonna shore up the defensive wall with some of the blue team units, so don't panic. I'm hoping the bigger, scarier stuff will suicide into Dimitri so I don't have to deal with it.

"Still can't see the Director yet..." Dimitri mutters. "There's a ton of tanks on the way, though. Ready, troops?"

"Absolutely. Whatever comes, we'll take it on. There's no room for error." Cassandra replies.

Rose nods. "Our victory is assured. We are almost in place to wipe out the enemy in one fell swoop - just keep moving forwards and follow my orders."

The blue team are also ready to roll.

We need these missiles to go - not because they're a threat, but because I want Lucy to smash that pipe seam.

Fleur drops off Alfonse - he'll be doing the same thing as Howard, which is chucking missiles at everything up north until they stop being pricks.

This defensive wall isn't just to protect my weaker units, though - it also gives me an opening to slip Ingo down here (the Prairie Dog skill continues to kick rear end) and get himself in position to start firing on the next crystal.

The rest of the blue team just move forward and get themselves into position. Selena, in the APC, shivers.

"I know she's here somewhere. Are we... really going to be able to hold her back?"

"We're all here with you, Selena." Lucy replies. "We won't let you do this alone!"

Selena nods. "...Thank you, Lucy. You're right. We've come this far."

Now let's see if I pulled this off properly.

The units get healed up to 7HP now. drat, they're actually getting back up to decent HP, and more concerningly, decent damage.

Not decent enough, though! This medium tank tries to hit Dimitri and is smashed in the loving face for it.

A second medium tank attempts to fight instead, and-

"Machine guns?" says Cassandra. "That's not going to do anything against the tanks!"

"I... yeah! I only had three of those cannon shots! You seen how big this ammo is? I can't fit more than three in here!" Dimitri replies. "Where's Kiran?"

"Still down south, sorry!" Kiran yelps in fear. "I'm on my way up - hold out, Dimitri!"

"I'm in no danger of being destroyed, but I can't damage these ol' tanks for poo poo now!" Dimitri replies. "God, I wish Diana was here..."

"Hang tight, Dimitri. I accounted for your ammo loss - it's more important for you to maintain the defensive presence. We'll deal with the tanks afterwards." Rose says, glaring at the battlefield with determined eyes.

Another tank decides to take advantage of Dimitri having no ammo and shoots him. I seem to remember some vague mentions from commenters that enemies prioritise units that are low on ammo... I wonder if Rose is using that to lure out all the tanks? Was it actually a genius-level move?

The last bro copter gets lured out, too, which means I can kill it with Fliss next turn, beautiful.

The bomber goes for Cassandra, but thankfully, it doesn't hit super hard. Just enough to be concerning, but we can deal with that, no problem.

A Neotank rolls out from behind the crystal and guns towards the army, locking sight on Rose's own Neotank.

"Selena..? Is that you?"

The Director opens fire on Rose.

"No, it's not!" she growls. "Where's Selena?! I have no quarrel with you!"

"If you have no quarrel," Rose says icily. "Then why are you working with the people who are planning to blot out life on this planet?"

The Director remains silent, staring at Rose in fury.

Director located! Strike team, prepare to move in! Selena, you ready?

I'm ready. It's time.

Right, things are getting interesting now. Let's keep it up! First-

...Ooh, the sandstorm's stopped. I wasn't expecting that.

Rose lifts her transceiver. "The sandstorm has stopped, as expected. It usually dies down around this time of day - I've been keeping an eye on weather patterns."

"You... really go above and beyond, don't you, Rose?" breathes Vanessa.

"I used to be a detective. Noticing small details is part of the role." Rose says. "More importantly, Vanessa, Kurtz, your visibility should have improved. Can you make the shot on the seams near Howard?"

"Yeah, I think I can." Kurtz says, eyeing the target.

"I see it! I'll make the shot!" Vanessa replies.

Kiran, meanwhile, loving RACES north to go refuel Dimitri as soon as possible.

And Howard helps out with some missiley goodness.

These fuckers need to go - primarily the medium tank, but with in case I can't take out the tank, I want to make sure it doesn't hit very hard.

BOOM! Get hosed, land vehicles and also a bomber!

Speaking of the bomber, Petra removes it. That's another major threat gone.

And Wallace can take out this tank, leaving my other tanks available to do other cool things.

Vanessa makes the first shot on the seam - I was initially going to take out the seam to the right of my indirects, and then spend a few turns moving Howard around, but now the sandstorm's cleared up, I can take out this seam instead and get Howard to the silos within just two turns.

And just like that, Kurtz opens the way for Howard! Beautiful!

Now to get Kurtz back up north so he can shoot some crystals. Again, thank loving god for Prairie Dog.

Cassandra, even weakened, can take out the enemy medium tank. That's most of the major irritations dealt with now.

And, with that being the case, Rose decides to sneak in and land a big hit on the crystal, setting it up for Ingo to take it out later.

It might look a bit risky, with the enemy rockets over there, but I'm gonna switch to Javier for the ranged defence and to get his CO meter charged more quickly.

Plus, we get to hear more of his lines. Love you, Javier.

Right, with that done, it's onto the blue team...

...who have the job of trying to corral a loving Neotank.

And, before I forget, breaking this crystal. Ingo takes the shot, destroying the fourth of six crystals! We're almost there!

"Wonderful shooting, Ingo!" Lucy says, crying out with delight as she watches from her bomber on high.

"Ah, thanks." Ingo replies. "We're making progress now - orange team, are you going to be able to handle the final two?"

"Oh, without a doubt." Dimitri says, grinning. "Once I get refuelled, they're not gonna last long."

Von Panzer moves in to take out this infantry - more importantly, though, he's blocking off Lena. We're going to surround her with a) planes she can't fire on and b) units she doesn't do very much damage to, and we'll hopefully have the map done before she kills anybody.

We can move Julian in to take out this infantry too, and also block off Lena.

Raynald crusades over to fill the third space, and then Selena moves in, face to face with her sister.

Fliss removes this rear end in a top hat bro copter, and I can finally breathe easy. Copters in great numbers are seriously irritating to deal with.

There is a bomber hanging around though, and I'm nervous it might try and move in, so I shift Harlow to cover virtually all the bases; either it stays the gently caress away from me, or it attacks and gets missilinated for its trouble. Either way, it's dealt with.

Just to further protect myself, I figure I'll get Alfonse silo the hell out of them.

Yes. Perfect.

Now that's going to set them back a bit! Although... I wonder if I can do more. My units are a bit weakened, and the enemy's still got a fair amount of HP...

Whilst I muse, Lucy attacks this pipe seam.

Hm. You know what, you're right. I've decided!

Oh, yeah, it's time.

Lesson #15 of the My Dude School of Military Tactics:

Black Wave Is Only Fair And Balanced When I Get To Use It

drat, that's satisfying. The enemies around the crystals will heal 2HP, but the ones around that rightmost crystal TOOK 4HP in damage, so net loss either way. Excellent work.

Man, that was satisfying.

OK, OK, I'm done now. Let's hope nothing goes too terribly wrong.

They're getting closer to their tag power, but they haven't quite got it yet. I just need to get more CO meter charge than Jugger does...

The black crystal heals up the enemies, but eh, it's not gonna matter.

This, too, doesn't matter. Rose tanks it no problem.

"Now time for my retreat..." Rose mutters.

"Retreat? Your tank's in good shape, Rose, what are you..." Vanessa starts, but then pauses. "Oh."

An enemy tank charges for poor Petra. I swear, Petra and Fliss have been having a rough time in the anti-airs today. Every time I think they're safe, something pops up to harass them.

"No, no, no! I'm not going to go down! Not this close to victory!" Petra shouts, holding firm against the tank's attack.

"Petra, my dear! You OK?" Lorelei says, fretting.

Petra nods. "I'm... alright! Just need... a bit of help over here!"

"Thank goodness... Eagle would have my head if anything happened to you. Hang in there, Petra!" Mulligan replies.

The Director turns her Neotank towards the defenceless APC in front of her.

Lena.

You’ve come with no weapons? No tank? Are you trying to mock me? I’m going to…I’m going to kill you!

Do it. I deserve it.

What?

I was trying to help you, but...I messed up. I wanted to disobey my parents. I wanted to do something so drastically unlike me that it would cause them to turn to you instead, and treat you like they'd always treated me. I…hoped they would show you love if I proved myself a failure. But I now know better; I was running away from my responsibilities. I should have been there for you.

Yes, you should! They put so much on my shoulders after you left! All their fury at you, that went to me!

The first shot rings through, slamming into Selena's APC, but Selena can tell that her sister is holding back.

And the one person who…the one person who didn’t…the one person who didn’t care that I was a screw-up had left. She’d gone!

I know. I can never forgive myself for that.

Rose was right to make her exit when she did - a bomber comes and blows up the Neotank that she left behind.

This must've been part of her plan too. Still, we'll deal with that next turn.

"As calculated." Rose says, on her way back to HQ. "I'll command from HQ for now - keep following Jess and Javier's orders. They know what I plan to do, and they're almost ready to execute that plan."

Dimitri salutes. "Yes, Rose. Ready and waiting!"

Right, then. Let's get back at it! It's a race between Javier and Jugger's CO meters now - we cannot let them get their tag off, but we also need to do juuuuust enough damage to get our tag. It's going to be a risky turn.

Firstly, Kiran resupplies Dimitri, and thank loving god for that.

"That's a hell of a relief. I'm back to full capacity!" Dimitri shouts.

"Which is what, again? Three measly shots?" Cassandra replies.

"Hey, three shots capable of takin' on virtually anything!" Dimitri says, chuckling. "Come on, Morningstar. Let's get on with taking out those last crystals!"

"Right behind you, Meteor." Cassandra answers, gearing up her medium tank and preparing to move onwards.

Dimitri charges ahead - this might look like absolutely insane behaviour, but here's the best place for him - it's within the rocket range, so they can't fire on him, and he's bulky enough to survive virtually anything Kindle and Jugger throw at us now. We need him in position to start smashing things.

Cassandra helps out Petra with her little tank problem, so I don't have to worry about this, at least.

Howard moves into this little area to access these secret silos, whilst the indirects head north. I'm gonna need Kurtz for something later on. However, this turn is mostly setup, so that's all for now.

Let's see how the blue team's doing.

Lucy's able to smash the seam on this side...

And then Alfonse hops into Fleur...

Which allows Fleur to carry Alfonse inside. This is just insurance in case things go wrong next turn - planning for every eventuality is how you win. Rose taught me that.

Now let's get rid of this last threatening thing with Fliss, and finally breathe a sigh of relief. Bombers are loving scary, even weakened ones.

I'm a little nervous about Fliss getting hit by the enemy rockets, though, so I move Ingo in - he'll either take a hit from the rockets or kill them next turn, so either way it works out.

The rest of the blue team is busy preventing the Director from murdering everything around her.

Speaking of, it is Jugger's turn. We didn't quite get our meter charged, so here's hoping Jugger attacks us a bunch of times!

We did leave a nice shiny megatank for him to poke.

The rockets take the Ingo-bait and do a remarkable amount of damage to him. The important thing is that he's not dead, though!

Give me one reason, then--one reason why I shouldn’t kill you where you stand!

I can’t give you a reason. But I can make a request.

Lena opens fire once more, and this time, it hits harder. Selena winces. Is it… already too late to convince her?

I’m not going to be swayed! You already had your chance! I’m…I’ve already come too far. You understand? There’s no going back for me!

There’s ALWAYS a chance to go back! You don’t have to stay on this path!

The Director’s Neotank seems to tremble, and a rumbling from within tells Selena that it’s primed and ready to fire again. She stands up and hops out of her APC, landing on the hard, dusty ground below. Standing up, she walks forwards, until she’s eye-to-eye with the cannon of the Neotank.

Selena throws her arms wide, leaving herself open to the tank, and lets out a final impassioned cry.

Lena! Don’t you get it? I gave up everything just to stand in the way of my parents, because I didn’t want to dance for them any longer! Now I’m here, and I have a new family, and…more than anything, I want you to be a part of it. Three years ago I lost my sister, and all I’ve wanted since then is to get her back.

So if you’ve seen her, tell me - because I want to say sorry to her.

I don’t…I don’t understand! Asking for MY forgiveness after how I treated you? I should be the one apologising -- I drove you away! How? How can you still love me after all that?

Because love doesn’t need to be EARNED, Lena!

Wh…what?

You don’t need to be or do something for me to love you. Just having you as my sister was enough. And I’m sorry that my parents convinced you otherwise.

But I…you…you really still love me? After I betrayed everyone and everything?

Would anyone have done any differently in your position? If you really believe that this world is better being destroyed, then carry on. Take the shot.

But I know you. And I know you’ve always hoped, always believed, that there’s a world that loves you. And I’ve been fighting every day…to build that world for you.

Selena…

Step out of the tank. We can make this right. You don’t have to be the Director any more. I promise...my friends will be here for you. I’ll be here for you.

You’d…..

What was that?

Lena stands up, the mask of Sturm falling away from her face and landing on the ground beside her Neotank. She gets on top of the tank and jumps down, walking up to Selena so that she can hear the sentence as clearly as possible.

I said…you’d better be right about this, Selena…

Selena pulls her into an embrace, fighting back tears, and Lena reciprocates, sobbing into Selena’s shoulder.

Jugger doesn't take the Dimitri bait (which is probably good considering his low ammo), and instead fires on Cassandra, giving us some of that sweet sweet CO meter charge.

Almost, almost... is this it?!

Nope, not quite... but then the recon decides to suicide on Dimitri...

And THERE IT IS! Jugger's sealed Black Hole's fate - we've got this down!

Operation Hey Soul Sister was a rousing success, and hey, I'm bored of this map, so let's beat it in six days.

Tag Power, my beloved

They sure fuckin' will, Javier! Do... do Black Hole COs have wives and children, though..?

Either way, we're ready! We've got more than enough firepower to pull this off, so all we have to do is get everything into position.

And hey, y'know what, may as well bully them with a missile in the meantime.

yeah that sounds fun

BOOM! Watching piperunners take damage is, like, so good for my mental health, you don't even know.

So, first, we move Ingo into position.

And Cassandra lands a bit of chip damage on the black crystal.

May as well kill everything else too. Wallace finishes off one of the anti-airs.

You'll notice in the top right, we've moved Dimitri in to attack the other crystal. He can't one-shot it with Javier, but Jess' SCOP is like, absurdly good for vehicles.

Hell yeah, here we go!

Javier was just the setup... THIS is the damage.

"Your crystals won't drain the life from this land any longer! I refuse to allow it! Your ambitions... THEY END HERE!" Dimitri roars, opening fire and obliterating the black crystal in a single, unbelievable shot.

"Once, my dearest love freed our world from the grip of Black Hole, and ever since then... I've been looking to do the same. So take this! Ingo Easford-Martin, ready to fire! This shot will put an end to your Tower of Rebirth!" Ingo shouts, releasing a blast from his rockets. It aims true, and slams into the crystal, and thanks to Cassandra's setup, it is totally destroyed.

Black crystals report fatal error. System not responding. Director not responding. Repair impossible.

We can't use them any more, can we? I was going to finish the allies off here, but now I've changed my mind.

And, Madam Director? You think you can swap sides just like that? Here's a promise: I'll be waiting for you. Aha ha ha ha!

Wait right there! You are NOT getting away this time!

She escaped through a passage leading deeper into the fortress. Move quickly.

Um, Hawke...

Save it. You made the right choice. Now move.

Right! Let's roll!

Another S-rank for us! And you'll never guess what - this was my first attempt at this map. Absolutely nailed it, I'm far too pleased with myself. The Director's been saved!

Our COs also promote, putting Javier and Jess at rank 7 and Hawke and Lash at loving 25. I didn't even think it went that high. You stop getting stuff after rank 10.

Still, can't argue with that! Now let's see what the next map's got in store...

Oh god, more loving Kindle. Can we see the end of this woman already?

The black obelisk. That's what they called it. It's what they're using to drain the energy from this land.

So this is how they're doing it? That thing is going down.

My apologies, but we're still using it. You can look, but you can't touch!

You know nothing of the black obelisk's power, yet you plan on destroying it? You're even more naive than I thought.

Yeah? Well, I hope you're ready, because your madness ends here.

Aha ha ha. I bet you want a treat for making it this far. Bravo, cheerleader. Aha ha! Look around you. Gaze upon the glorious spectacle of Black Hole's power!

It's sickening.

I know you can feel the overwhelming might of our military machine. Face it, you're outclassed and outgunned.

She's so evil...but she's right. There are so many of them.

This is looking grim.

But...

Chill, people. It's all good. We've got this covered. We might be outgunned--but we have my dude and Rose Kuroda rollin' with us. We're not even close to being outclassed.

What did you say, boy?

What you guys are doing...it's whack. Trashing the land for your own profit? That's just sick. All of the people who live here have got our backs.

Factory workers, scientists, bakers... even gals who may have joined the wrong side at first. They're all with us. We won't lose.

..!

Aha ha ha. You mean the rabble?! A ton of garbage is still garbage. Let me introduce you to reality. Reality is what you see above you... THAT is reality!

Above us..?

Oh. poo poo.

What you see is more than 22,000 miles above us, in outer space. That glistening ebon star you see is Black Hole's ultimate weapon. Tremble before our magnificent battle satellite, Black Onyx!

Holy poo poo, what?

Satellite? Black Onyx?

Aha ha ha! Not even your delicate little commander knew of its existence! Black Onyx is the black obelisk's guardian angel.

In a mere...fifty minutes from now, its barrier field will be operational. Once it's in place, the black obelisk will be safe for all eternity!

That's why they've been hiding the location of this base and stalling us as much as they can. They've been buying time whilst Black Onyx charges the barrier field.

We made it in just enough time, at least!

Do I need to spell this out for you fools? You don't have a chance! You never did.

You keep telling yourself that, Kindle! We're going to win, no matter the odds. All right, everybody! This is the final battle! Let's work together and obliterate the black obelisk!

Final battle? We haven't even fought Von Bolt yet. I don't buy it.

My dude, are you alright? You're muttering to yourself again.

Sorry, right! Let's crush this loving obelisk and then go home. This isn't going to take long.

I'm glad, considering we only have fifty minutes...

So, uh, yeah! Here's the map, and it's a goddamn big one.

Neotanks, cannons, silos, oozium, pipes... yeah, there's a lot going on here. On the plus side, we get three groups, so a total of 6 COs! Feel free to place your votes, and any other advice on strategies or what skills to give units would be excellent. I'll see you all next time!

Part 54 (Intermission) - Orange Star’s Heart

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 1, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Neat moment when you use Hawke/Lash here. The main Black Hole theme that was used in every drat mission in AW2 has been completely absent from AWDS so far, and now you finally hear it, and it's playing for your guys. Very cool.

Oh boy, this next map is infamous. It's not too hard once you find the perfect strategy, but the margin for error is extremely thin. Colin/Sasha on Orange Star for the sake of your sanity. The other COs don't matter as much, I usually use Hawke on Blue Moon, so go Hawke/Lash. You'll get lots of benefit from your skills too. Green Earth benefits a lot from Sensei, so maybe Sensei/Jake since there's so many plains.

Since you got Hawke and Lash to Rank 10, you'll have unlocked alternate costumes for them. Have you seen them? Lash's is cute, and Hawke...I'm not sure whether to laugh at the change or simply bask in his chad energy.

As always, here is the rest of the tag dialogue.

Rachel/Jake

C'mon, Rachel! Let's take those fools to school.

You're all fired up, huh, Jake? All right, let's roll!

Colin/Sasha

Blue Moon sibling COs...attack!

I'm counting on you, little brother!

Grimm/Sensei

The enemy troops are a bunch of pencil necks! This is gonna be easy, eh, Sensei?

Hmmm...pencils? No, no I don't have any pencils. I may have a pen, though.

Jake/Jess

Jake, you must tell me everything you know about these black crystals. What can they do? How durable are they? What's their range of effect? How do--

Jess! Take cover! They're coming!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Orange Star, Colin and Sasha
Blue Moon, Hawke and Rachel
Green Earth, Sensei and Jake

Welcome to IMO the worst map in the game. This is what I meant by things could be worse: at least you’re not handicapping yourself here.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

The six COs you've used the least yes, even on what's supposed to be a very difficult map I'm still going for this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lash/Hawke on Red
Sasha/Collin on Blue
Sensei and Grimm on Green

Orange star has a bunch of terrain features for lash to play with. Sasha and Collin can maybe do something with blues sparse income. Sensei can take advantage of the fact that green can afford battle copters more than airplanes. Grimm, because the man is too beautiful to be left on the side.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I'm super impressed that you beat the last map on your first try! While not a hard map, it's really easy to forget about the enemy's healing and get nailed by a tank that's suddenly just a little bit stronger than you anticipated.

You're not going to beat this map on your first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Remalle posted:

I'm super impressed that you beat the last map on your first try! While not a hard map, it's really easy to forget about the enemy's healing and get nailed by a tank that's suddenly just a little bit stronger than you anticipated.

You're not going to beat this map on your first try.

The extra 60% damage boost certainly helps with that as well. Ironically jugger plays very baseline in the tower because luck damage scales to hp as well, so his wide range doesn't really get to play much with all those low hp units.