Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i've only been in this town for 10 months, and water is starting to become scarce due to declining snowpack and increasing population. everyone has grass lawns of course. after the snow finally melted, the grass was green for only 2 months before it started to dry out. now, i can't but help notice that there are elaborate sprinkler systems everywhere for these stupid lawns. dumbest loving species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

endlessmonotony posted:

So what happened to the forecast of a massive heatwave in the UK? Still happening?

Still six days out

So we will see.

Model prediction now hitting mainstream news, looking more and more likely :stonklol:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
show me where in a constitution of any country that it says that it has to *guarantee* water

:smug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alobar posted:

show me where in a constitution of any country that it says that it has to *guarantee* water

it's in mine

we'll probably get invaded by italy next year over it lol

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol, lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
41 in London :rip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AceClown posted:

lol, lmao

why the hell is ireland like 15c cooler than the uk when they're right next to each other

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Ireland had always been cooler

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Xaris posted:

why the hell is ireland like 15c cooler than the uk when they're right next to each other

clouds?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1547877367099506688
https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1547880086589751297

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

every loving day it seems i'm more tempted to post the ron paul "it's happening!" gif in this thread

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

FFT posted:

every loving day it seems i'm more tempted to post the ron paul "it's happening!" gif in this thread

Except he should have the :gonk: face and it should read IT HAPPENED

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Xaris posted:

catholicism OP

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

41 in London :rip:
yea except this time it’s going to be just as hot for normal people up north which means it’s officially Not Funny :cry:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

if you didn't want to die of heat stroke, you shouldn't have started the industrial revolution

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
regular people are definitely noticing that poo poo is hosed, I respond with a lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

They should try going vegan, riding a bike or recycling

You know, something that makes a difference

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

They should try going vegan, riding a bike or recycling

You know, something that makes a difference

British boomers would rather drown in their own poo poo than do any of that

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Xaris posted:

The English are finally being smited while the Irish have suffered enough.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hexigrammus posted:

Are my chick peas safe? Canada is a major pulse producer but we don't process any ourselves. They binned into those big white woven plastic bags, packed in containers, and shipped off to India where they're processed and our domestic market share is shipped back to us packed in little plastic bags. Is it still detectable after that long a journey? Not sure if it works the same way in the U.S. (Probably. If it was economically feasible to fly freshly deceased chickens to China for disassembly and packaging then returned why not?)

I know, I know. The answer is nothing is safe and we're all hosed, just bear witness, enjoy the stupidity and :lol: at the unsustainability of it all.

No, your conventionally grown chickpeas are probably covered in glyphosate residue. The good news is that because chickpeas are a podded crop, processing tends to remove the majority of the herbicide residue, but some definitely penetrates the pod.

It is very common for farmers to use glyphosate to dry down chickpeas. Podded crops tend to have uneven ripening, so using a chemical to achieve uniformity makes sense from the perspective of industrial agriculture in temperate climates, where harvest windows are quite narrow.

The government of Canada establishes what are called Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs) for each type of crop. Chickpeas have an MRL of 4.0 ppm, which is the acceptable amount of detectable herbicide on the actual food going in your belly. If the farmer wants to market the crop to different jursidictions, then they have to hit the MRL for that jurisdiction - EU has 2.0 ppm for pulses, for example.

Assuming there is a future civilization, they might wonder why intelligent men and women got together to figure out what level of poisoning it was acceptable for the population at large to endure.

Karach has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Jul 15, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Koirhor posted:

regular people are definitely noticing that poo poo is hosed, I respond with a lmao

yeah you can see the panic forming

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Someone go back in the thread and find all the uk posters making fun of people for living in the wrong place during climate change era.

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1547940611805786113

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1547925792562114560

quote:

John Hayes, who was previously a government minister at the climate change department

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

the problem isn't that the street is melting - the problem is your negative attitude

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hope I don't ruin Britain with my bad attitude

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hope I don't ruin Britain with my bad attitude

oh so it was your fault

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
This is a surprisingly cool urban heat map thingy from Canada's national broadcaster

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/2022/07/ilots-chaleur-villes-inegalites-injustice-changements-climatiques/en

it might be getting hotter, but at least I'll die surrounded by white people

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the north east corner of the reservoir near my house is always really windy so i will go live there if theres a heat dome and the power is out. like a raccoon.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
104f is no big deal. just stand in the shade its fine.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I very much doubt there will be any snowflakes in the UK next week.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

red heads

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Pelteire Effect

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Homeless Friend posted:

:wrong:

https://www.penncapital-star.com/commentary/how-hot-is-too-hot-for-the-human-body-these-penn-state-experts-explain-opinion/

quote:

Heat waves are becoming supercharged as the climate changes – lasting longer, becoming more frequent and getting just plain hotter. One question a lot of people are asking is: “When will it get too hot for normal daily activity as we know it, even for young, healthy adults?”

Our studies on young healthy men and women show that this upper environmental limit is even lower than the theorized 35 C. It’s more like a wet-bulb temperature of 31 C (88 F). That would equal 31 C at 100% humidity or 38 C (100 F) at 60% humidity.

We're already exceeding this threshold.

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/at-400c-delhis-real-feel-was-above-500c-on-tuesday-573438.html

quote:

The wet-bulb temperature in Delhi also rose to 33.7 degrees, the highest so far this year, after hitting 32.11 degrees on Monday.

in the future, shade will be a commodity.

Israel 2
Jul 13, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just shade the planet

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

disposable single use plastic shades

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Horizon Burning posted:

Can I get a status update on the cringe levels?

your post caused them to spike

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alobar posted:

the Fijian constitution guarantees clean, fresh mineral water to the Starbucks Corporation

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Truga posted:

invaded by italy

lmao

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

This but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Are people actually dying in all of these heatwave? feels like you never hear about the aftermath