Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh weird a big Russian vessel blew up a bunch of grain before they invaded the exporter of 1/5 of the world's grain supply.

That never came across any of my feeds.. you got a link or a tweet or something about a large Russian grain vessel blowing up?

None of my feeds have anything. Not trying to call you out, just hadn’t heard about this and would like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DGlaucomflecken/status/1547976816098308096?t=EZk9RHDZaB78JTw6BUFEww&s=19

Greatest health care system in the world, baby!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That never came across any of my feeds.. you got a link or a tweet or something about a large Russian grain vessel blowing up?

None of my feeds have anything. Not trying to call you out, just hadn’t heard about this and would like to know more.

He’s saying a russian vessel caused the beirut explosion (which it did) and destroyed the grain that is now on fire because Lebanon is devastated still from the explosion and literally can’t do anything about it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

He’s saying a russian vessel caused the beirut explosion (which it did) and destroyed the grain that is now on fire because Lebanon is devastated still from the explosion and literally can’t do anything about it.

"Russian vessel caused Beirut explosion" is the first I've heard of this particular wrinkle, too.

Edit: Oh, got it--it was a Russian shipment of AN that got shoved into a warehouse.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payers/unitedhealth-group-posts-51b-profit-q2-boosts-guidance-it-eyes-continued-2022-growth

Can't even imagine how proud all their front line workers feel.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7gnpmOWBKo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/15/opinion/doctors-roe-v-wade-ohio-10-year-old.html

oh hell yeah want to feel real good read this

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

They don't have any front-line workers lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Discussion Quorum posted:

Its like 90% middle management and 10% front line workers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

Providers don't operate in a vacuum even if they don't directly cash a check from UHG

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The Beruit explosion was caused by a Russian owned vessel carrying a poo poo ton of AN, abandoned under dubious circumstances, and the owners of the vessel and cargo were protected by the Russian government.

This was before it was apparent they would stage a full invasion of Ukraine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wasabi the J posted:

The Beruit explosion was caused by a Russian owned vessel carrying a poo poo ton of AN, abandoned under dubious circumstances, and the owners of the vessel and cargo were protected by the Russian government.

Ownership of a vessel doesn't mean poo poo, FV you want to weigh in?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lots of major contributing causes to a disaster that devastating. Plenty of blame to go around.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I uh.. wasabi are you asserting that Russia deliberately abandoned a vessel with a gently caress load of ammonium nitrate because in 2014 they knew the AN would be stored next to grain, and that it would detonate 6 years later, a full 2 years before the invasion of Ukraine?

Yo, show me the Pepe Sylvia already.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was thinking, wasn't that abandoned a long time ago?

If we've learned anything recently, it's that Russia didn't put a whole lot of thought and planning into this op.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I don't know much about anything Russian equipment: why do they have zero effective defense against these HIMARS rockets?

I know US forces have CIWS and other point defense systems that would be able to catch these right? Seems crazy the Russians haven't built a plausible counter to what is a well known US capacity.

I assume the answer is as always: "corruption".

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

maffew buildings posted:

Providers don't operate in a vacuum even if they don't directly cash a check from UHG

The front-line providers are not UHG workers, they work at the institutions that are bleeding money while UHG reaps the economic surplus, which I think was the point of the OP :shrug:

Any clinical employee at UHG is most likely employed to find reasons to deny claims review and audit claims for medical necessity

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm not sure how much the semantics of this matters when we're in agreement about the main point that this is utterly hosed

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 15, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm probably not the only person here who is tired and burnt out but I saw this and it's really helping lift my spirits and keep me focused on what matters

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1547977324716429323?t=FxQALRdGE-D1V2sfnBaQAg&s=19

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

Are you front line worker if you're on the front lines of paperwork?

Impressive, they've summed up the US commitment to democracy abroad in a 20 second clip.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

I'm probably not the only person here who is tired and burnt out but I saw this and it's really helping lift my spirits and keep me focused on what matters

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1547977324716429323?t=FxQALRdGE-D1V2sfnBaQAg&s=19

A terrorist fist jab

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

"They're not gonna get one of those "bow to the prince" photos out of ME!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1547538664313524224

Cool

the article posted:

Amazon has provided footage from Ring video cameras to police without permission from owners or a court warrant 11 times this year, the company acknowledged in a letter to Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.)

Brian Huseman, Amazon’s vice president of public policy, said in the letter dated July 1 that Ring complied with those requests from law enforcement after making a “good-faith determination” about risk.

Markey had written to Ring last month asking the company to clarify its relationship with American police and to commit to some policy reforms, including never allowing immigration enforcement to request recordings and committing to not incorporating voice recognition tech into its products.

Huseman declined to commit to any of the requests and disclosed that Ring now lets 2,161 police departments use its Neighbors app, five times more than it did in November 2019. Law enforcement officials can use the app to issue alerts and request videos.

“As my ongoing investigation into Amazon illustrates, it has become increasingly difficult for the public to move, assemble, and converse in public without being tracked and recorded,” Markey said in a statement. 

“We cannot accept this as inevitable in our country,” the Massachusetts lawmaker continued. “Increasing law enforcement reliance on private surveillance creates a crisis of accountability, and I am particularly concerned that biometric surveillance could become central to the growing web of surveillance systems that Amazon and other powerful tech companies are responsible for.”

A Ring spokesperson defended handing over the footage without permission.

“The law authorizes companies like Ring to provide information to government entities if the company believes that an emergency involving danger of death or serious physical injury to any person, such as a kidnapping or an attempted murder, requires disclosure without delay,” they said. “Ring faithfully applies that legal standard.”

Amazon declined to clarify what qualifies as that kind of situation in the July 1 letter, only saying the company determined that the risk of death or serious physical injury required “​​disclosure of information without delay.”

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I don't know much about anything Russian equipment: why do they have zero effective defense against these HIMARS rockets?

I know US forces have CIWS and other point defense systems that would be able to catch these right? Seems crazy the Russians haven't built a plausible counter to what is a well known US capacity.

I assume the answer is as always: "corruption".

Apparently the Ukrainians launch a poo poo load of GRADS and other "normal" rocketry before they fire the HIMARS to get all the anti-missile poo poo on reload before the guided stuff arrives.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Burt posted:

Apparently the Ukrainians launch a poo poo load of GRADS and other "normal" rocketry before they fire the HIMARS to get all the anti-missile poo poo on reload before the guided stuff arrives.

It's pretty standard tactic though, saturate enemy air defense. It's why Aegis was designed to track and target 100+ simultaneous contacts.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah no it was a sketchy rear end operation but it was more about someone cheaping out on transport, having the vessel stopped and the cargo seized, then the Lebanese government turbo-loving up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah no it was a sketchy rear end operation but it was more about someone cheaping out on transport, having the vessel stopped and the cargo seized, then the Lebanese government turbo-loving up.

I know it's just like holy gently caress lately with disasters they're accountable for lately.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A good one perfect for gip:

https://twitter.com/mimms/status/1548031627283947520?t=YogNrp7ViubnmPATecuFAw&s=19

quote:

James Mault was fired from his union job after the insurrection, but was able to re-enlist in the U.S. Army even though he had been interviewed by the FBI about his actions on Jan. 6. At the time of the initial FBI interview, the bureau was apparently unaware that he assaulted officers that day.

Chief Judge Beryl Howell sentenced Mault alongside his co-defendant Cody Mattice. Both received 44 months in prison, as well as three years of supervised release. Howell said that Mault and Mattice had preplanned for violence.

lots of consequential mistakes in no particular order - accepting the FBI interview, insurrecting, and reenlisting

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is he slotted for any UCMJ on top of that? I'd like for him to go straight to Leavenworth for a couple of decades after he's done in the fed pen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Is he slotted for any UCMJ on top of that? I'd like for him to go straight to Leavenworth for a couple of decades after he's done in the fed pen.

:bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wonder what articles his actions violated. And he's a solid opportunity to make an example of what a reservist/guardperson can expect if they play gently caress around find out games.

His unit will probably quietly cut him a dishonorable discharge and write off his issue poo poo. That's not what needs to happen here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

Its all travel nurses now and they are much more expensive than just paying full time employees at a good rate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
J6 defendant asked for change of venue for his trial because 100% of the people who have gone to trial in that court had been convicted. The judge's response:

https://twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1547955538348036097

That's a fun lil thread regardless.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

J6 defendant asked for change of venue for his trial because 100% of the people who have gone to trial in that court had been convicted. The judge's response:

https://twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1547955538348036097

That's a fun lil thread regardless.

No kidding:
https://twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1547956330106720264

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
is there something particular about the name "BledsoeFuck"? my brain isn't working rn

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

When you forget to change the file name of the homework assignment.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I wonder what articles his actions violated. And he's a solid opportunity to make an example of what a reservist/guardperson can expect if they play gently caress around find out games.

His unit will probably quietly cut him a dishonorable discharge and write off his issue poo poo. That's not what needs to happen here.

They can’t actually do that. In order to recieve Dishonorable Discharge you have to be convicted and sentenced in a general court martial. You can’t get one under a special court martial. Unfortunately in order to be court martial you must first violate the UCMJ.. which you have to have been subject to, which he appears not to have been.

I don’t know if he was under the IRR and if that could factor in, but it looks like he’s only on the hook with the feds, not the DoD. And as much as I hate all MAGA and 1/6 insurgents, I’m glad it works this way- we don’t want the DoD to have ex post facto power over your past. 44 months is not a long enough sentence, however.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You can't be UCMJ'd for activities when you're not in the service. The worst they can get him for is falsifying documents, if he lied when they asked him about criminal activities. If he said "yeah, I was at the capitol" when they asked and they let that through, then lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zamujasa posted:

is there something particular about the name "BledsoeFuck"? my brain isn't working rn

The defendant's name is Bledsoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ah yes, Copy of Why Wont This loving Macro Work(2).xlsm