Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

KillHour posted:

Is this in the base mod or is there an additional mod that does this?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Factorissimo2-Playthrough

Also this mods real fun, especially with rampant increasing enemy counts:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/robotarmy

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I got baited by Krastorio. I spent a bunch of time setting up pipelines for optimization science, only to discover that optimization science is only really used for a bunch of ridiculously expensive* infinite techs, and the thing I should really be looking at after purple and yellow science is matter science. Whoops! At least I get an efficient electronic components recipe.

*it is possible my decision to increase all tech costs by 400% is what has made these techs ridiculously expensive

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Four-ways can be fine but they need a lot more space to be properly signaled and quadruple that if using double track. Two t-junctions spaced one train apart will usually take up less area. In my recent megabase I'd tried a bunch of different designs to fit my grid system, with varying success. I did want to have a working 4-way in this system because using two entire city blocks for two T-junctions was a huge waste of space. Space might be technically infinite in this game but it still takes time and resources to acquire (mostly landfill on this map).

I tried variations on roundabouts. In this one, straight traffic has to go around, and only left-turning traffic (which would otherwise occupy three quarters of the roundabout while in use) uses the center. This deadlocks if 4 trains are inside the roundabout and another train tries to turn left at the same time.

A fairly traditional diamond interchange, but making use of the entire block to put some space between the outer and inner conflict points. This is deadlock-free as long as the downstream rails are free, but if the exits all clog up at once it can take a while to clear.

This was supposed to be a compact version which could be placed over water with less landfilling than the diamond. Unfortunately the conflict points on the entrance/exit blocks couldn't be separated with such little space.

Not one of the 4-ways but illustrates some of the other issues my system had. The station blocks on the left which cross over the main line between the stacker and station weren't directly deadlocking but they caused huge queues to build up which exacerbated the problems with the 4-ways upstream. I've started replacing them with the blocks on the right which actually take up two blocks but they also get all the traffic off the line ASAP.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Any tips on what I should do in terms of power before nuclear in K2/SE? Don't really have the best oil spots so can't just be burning petroleum forever.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 29, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nalesh posted:

Any tips on what I should do in terms of power before nuclear in K2/SE? Don't really have the best oil spots so can't just be burning petroleum forever.

I just kept burning petroleum because it was low effort (rail world, plenty of oil). Other than that though I think burning biomethanol in the gas fired power plant could be a fun one, there are some interesting puzzles there with a few alternative ways to get the ingredients. Then there's always solar, of course.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The latest mod for the Pyanodon modpack has just gone into beta and with it seems to have come quite a lot of changes. I was surprised to find that I could get the first science mostly automated in maybe 15-20min.

No clue about the other sciences, but judging from the lab:

it seems that there's even more different types of science packs, so maybe the ramp up has gotten a bit smoother. From what I understand there's a lot of balancing to be done still, so for now the only way to get these mods is through a google drive link from the py discord. But it seems like a fun time to step into the madness again.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That's really neat, the current buildup to red science since AlienLife was added is probably what's kept me bouncing off of Py.

That and the seaweed farms producing an ungodly amount of noise when in operation. They're so much louder than anything else.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 29, 2022

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Nalesh posted:

Biomethanol from wood/greenhouses was a good stopgap for me

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I remember seeing a mod that let you unlink roboports from other roboports, basically allowing you to create islands of it so it's easier to keep saturation in that spot, but I can't seem to find it again.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Been poking at Bob's+Angel's again, against my better judgement. Going from inefficient burner smelting, to separating the compound ores and running them through big foundry complexes is really neat.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 30, 2022

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

The latest mod for the Pyanodon modpack has just gone into beta and with it seems to have come quite a lot of changes. I was surprised to find that I could get the first science mostly automated in maybe 15-20min.

No clue about the other sciences, but judging from the lab:

it seems that there's even more different types of science packs, so maybe the ramp up has gotten a bit smoother. From what I understand there's a lot of balancing to be done still, so for now the only way to get these mods is through a google drive link from the py discord. But it seems like a fun time to step into the madness again.

Thanks for the heads-up. Messing around with this and the early game seems just as insane as before but in a better way. Not having to manually cut 1000000 trees to get to automation tech is a huge improvement and you can probably play with biters on now since it doesn't take hours and a huge amount of infrastructure to get to basic turrets.

It looks like the main fuckeries are all the burners making ash as a byproduct and electric miners being super deep on the tree. I think this is the only time in Factorio I've ever built coal lines to automatically feed burner miners.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Angelbobs yellow science automated...kinda! Only took about two hours :shepface:

e: Aaaaand stopped as soon as I saw what was involved with automating wood.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 30, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Double post, but what's the thread's opinion on IR2? I like how it complete overhauls the factory visuals, and I appreciate how it doesn't waste your time by making even the burner/steam-tier machines have pretty good throughput. The extra complexity it adds doesn't seem too ridiculous compared to BA either, though it's definitely more involved than KR2. I was able to automate red+green science pretty easily, albeit with a disgusting amount of steam pipe spaghetti.

Unfortunately I have to start over as it turns out Alien Biomes breaks some of the resource spawns such as rubber trees.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 30, 2022

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I really like IR2, I think it has the best art and the best early game of any of the major overhaul mods. It does start to feel less coherent as you get deeper into the tech though. I can't really compare it to Krastorio, I bounced off that one quite quickly.

You should try Seablock though, at least once. I think it's actually better than 'vanilla' AngelBobs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Nalesh posted:

coal->steam. find a big body of water and slap down as many turbines as you need.

definitely get nuclear up sooner rather than later though, the late game buildings are quite power intensive and you need uranium for one of the science packs anyways

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jamsque posted:

I really like IR2, I think it has the best art and the best early game of any of the major overhaul mods. It does start to feel less coherent as you get deeper into the tech though. I can't really compare it to Krastorio, I bounced off that one quite quickly.

You should try Seablock though, at least once. I think it's actually better than 'vanilla' AngelBobs.

Seablock does look interesting, being able to choose where my resources come from is a nice change of pace.

I agree on the visual aesthetic of IR2. All the steampunk stuff is fantastic, and I had the dumbest grin on my face when I built the monowheel. It really forces you to stop handcrafting poo poo as well, as it takes almost a full minute to craft a single steam assembler. Probably my only complaint is the mod author's weird hangups, like not allowing it to be shown on monetized videos/streams, and compatibility issues.

With all the added intermediate steps I feel like Factorissimo might be necessary just to save on space.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 1, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

Double post, but what's the thread's opinion on IR2? I like how it complete overhauls the factory visuals, and I appreciate how it doesn't waste your time by making even the burner/steam-tier machines have pretty good throughput. The extra complexity it adds doesn't seem too ridiculous compared to BA either, though it's definitely more involved than KR2. I was able to automate red+green science pretty easily, albeit with a disgusting amount of steam pipe spaghetti.

Unfortunately I have to start over as it turns out Alien Biomes breaks some of the resource spawns such as rubber trees.

I can't remember whether I played IR2 or IR1, but I didn't like it. The combination of needing 7 or 8 different kinds of intermediates for each metal, AND needing to deliver fuel to all those assemblers, just made it a real pain in the rear end

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

VostokProgram posted:

I can't remember whether I played IR2 or IR1, but I didn't like it. The combination of needing 7 or 8 different kinds of intermediates for each metal, AND needing to deliver fuel to all those assemblers, just made it a real pain in the rear end

then at least in ir1, all the intermediates were exactly the same between materials. bronze bars, plates, bearings, rods, girders, gears, ok now brass or whatever bars, plates, bearings, rods, girders, gears; okay now iron bars, plates... it was at the point where you could just copy/paste the assemblers and change the materials. just pure busywork

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember quite liking IR1, a big part of it was the visuals, but it was also my first time putting more than a few hours into a larger modpack.

I always fell off of those, but for this playthrough I actually went through the entire thing. Was probably helped by the fact that I started it with a few folks from the official factorio discord. We had 4 people in total, all with somewhat different playstyles but it stilled worked quite well. It was fun to get to work on parts of the base and seeing designs I wouldn't have come up myself. Or debating about how best to setup things.

It felt like just the right step-up in difficulty from the base game where it has a bunch of extra components and metals, but nothing too crazy. It also had a bunch of fun tools to deal with the biters, I remember quite liking their lighting/tesla towers.

Speaking of big modpacks it seems like it's update season Space Exploration went into it's 0.6 beta with a whole bunch of new features. Going to try it with a friend, but they're going on holiday soon so it'll be a few more weeks. Probably for the best as it let's them iron out some initial bugs.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Freaksaus posted:

Speaking of big modpacks it seems like it's update season Space Exploration went into it's 0.6 beta with a whole bunch of new features. Going to try it with a friend, but they're going on holiday soon so it'll be a few more weeks. Probably for the best as it let's them iron out some initial bugs.

The modder is an annoying my-way-or-the-highway rear end in a top hat who lists mods he doesn't personally agree with for incompatibility and builds a cult of personality BUT he's also got a reasonable approach to bugfixing, and the version of 0.6 that's going to release is actually going to be like 0.6.60 or something - it's been in private beta testing for like 6 months or something, and he just uploaded the zips to a public channel in his (open-join) discord for essentially public beta testing before he uploads it to the mod portal. Admittedly the next day he posted a new version with what seemed like a pretty major bugfix, but hey what are you gonna do. Seems like it's gonna be reasonably polished.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Some of the stuff people do with the circuit network in this game is beyond my comprehension, but is amazing to see. For example in this video he creates "the logibrain" to control his haulers from AAI Industry. It's pretty much magic to me, but I bet some people here will find it pretty interesting. If the time-stamp thing doesn't work, this bit starts at 15:08 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S87vHUobvQ&t=907s

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bloody Pom posted:

There's a mod that creates a "rubber tree breeder" green house. You put in wood and it has a 1/20 chance of spitting out rubber wood.

And I feel IR2's steam phase is rather balanced, not so sure about past that. You really want to nerf/push back the aliens for breathing room or else the giant pile upon pile of prereqs you have to go through means oh hey the bugs are eating your face, and even worse, your base!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
What are the recommended mods if I find vanilla not complicated enough, but something like angel-bobs to be waaaaay too much?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I believe the running suggestion is try Krastorio 2. It introduces a lot more intermediate steps and a longer end game, but not as involved as bobs.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I've been liking this new-ish set of mods: Brevven mods.

Pick and choose one or more of the mods, each one adds an element that shows up as ore to be mined, and rather than adding like fifteen new random things, instead it swaps out some ingredients in the normal Factorio stuff. For example, "Aluminum" replaces copper wire in most recipes with aluminum wire. Waaaay less hassle and stuff than Angel/Bob/Pyanodon/whatever, but still shakes things up.

He's been adding integration with some other mods like Krastorio, Space Exploration, etc, but that kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm looking for right now (vanilla, but with more poo poo to mine and put on trains), so haven't really tried those out. But I do see bugfixes coming in frequently for them lately.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Firebatgyro posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. Messing around with this and the early game seems just as insane as before but in a better way. Not having to manually cut 1000000 trees to get to automation tech is a huge improvement and you can probably play with biters on now since it doesn't take hours and a huge amount of infrastructure to get to basic turrets.

It looks like the main fuckeries are all the burners making ash as a byproduct and electric miners being super deep on the tree. I think this is the only time in Factorio I've ever built coal lines to automatically feed burner miners.

Got a bit more time with Pyanodon yesterday, started a new save and streamed it for about 4 hours. The early game is very different from before, not quite as crazy but different types of roadblocks that are both annoying and interesting to deal with.

The first science is pretty easy to setup (compared to PyAL at least), the second science is basically old red science in terms of ingredients from what I've seen. Now, the big thing that makes it all a pain is that you are missing a lot of things you normally get quite early:

- Electric miners, hah, better get Science 2 and circuits automated first
- Splitters, same thing, I've been having to make tons of seperate coal lines to feed my furnaces. The lack of splitters and electric miners makes it to where you have do everything with burner miners. Those all need coal to keep going. Assemblers too, and every bit of coal you burn leaves a bit of ash in the building. So you end up having to filter it all out (without splitters of course).

It's painful, a bit annoying, but also very interesting since I've had to come up with new designs for everything. You don't need a lot of production early on as there's just so many different products you need that the fact you don't have electric miners doesn't even factor in after a while.

I'll keep streaming this once a week most probably, slowly work through things and see how it gets later on.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Factorio just saw a huge price spike in Rubles. 500 -> 10,000

Edit: Turns out that was just a typo and they meant 1,000 Rubles.

https://steamdb.info/app/427520/

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 15, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Freaksaus posted:

Got a bit more time with Pyanodon yesterday, started a new save and streamed it for about 4 hours. The early game is very different from before, not quite as crazy but different types of roadblocks that are both annoying and interesting to deal with.

The first science is pretty easy to setup (compared to PyAL at least), the second science is basically old red science in terms of ingredients from what I've seen. Now, the big thing that makes it all a pain is that you are missing a lot of things you normally get quite early:

- Electric miners, hah, better get Science 2 and circuits automated first
- Splitters, same thing, I've been having to make tons of seperate coal lines to feed my furnaces. The lack of splitters and electric miners makes it to where you have do everything with burner miners. Those all need coal to keep going. Assemblers too, and every bit of coal you burn leaves a bit of ash in the building. So you end up having to filter it all out (without splitters of course).

It's painful, a bit annoying, but also very interesting since I've had to come up with new designs for everything. You don't need a lot of production early on as there's just so many different products you need that the fact you don't have electric miners doesn't even factor in after a while.

I'll keep streaming this once a week most probably, slowly work through things and see how it gets later on.

Being annoyed by my game with what I personally think of as useless complexity for the point of being 'complex' isn't my idea of fun. Not having splitters or miners means I just have to deal with more crap manually, when the whole point of the game is to automate as much as possible.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Charles 1998 posted:

Factorio just saw a huge price spike in Rubles. 500 -> 10,000

Edit: Turns out that was just a typo and they meant 1,000 Rubles.

https://steamdb.info/app/427520/

drat, I should've bought into Factorio futures

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cimber posted:

Being annoyed by my game with what I personally think of as useless complexity for the point of being 'complex' isn't my idea of fun. Not having splitters or miners means I just have to deal with more crap manually, when the whole point of the game is to automate as much as possible.

I mean, you can make poo poo complex if you want, that's fine, but regardless of how complicated your mod makes building more advanced stuff, if you're gating the absolute basics of automation (belts, splitters, underground belts, inserters, miners, assemblers, and basic power generation) behind a bunch of bullshit where it takes 10 hours before you can automate production of all of them then you're an rear end in a top hat who's missing the point of the game you're modding.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

My run through Nullius continues apace. This is my physics science build, which is the last science pack before astronomy science from launching rockets (which then leads to a separate biological research tree with its own packs). There's 46 ingredients brought in by train from city blocks, and 80ish steps on site to make the science. The whole setup is not strictly necessary because everything here is already being made in my central bot mall, but I don't like poo poo-to-make-science-with directly poaching from my poo poo-to-build-with supply and this will allow much greater production anyways.

Greatly enjoying this mod, on a scale of vanilla to Pyanodons this rates somewhat higher than Angelbobs. At 200 hours in I've blown way past all previous attempts to tackle mods including K2 and Seablock, and I'm still learning new things and experimenting and have no intention of stopping before the very end.

sorry of the blinding white, I didn't realize how bright white concrete would be but I went to the trouble of setting up the colored concrete production so I was committed to making my dumb background

Peepers fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 30, 2022

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Got back to rebuilding my base to a proper megabase in vanilla factorio, after taking a break from it. I can now see why Nilaus's builds use smaller city blocks and dedicate entire blocks to train loading and unloading. I'm trying to using huge city blocks, thinking I'd have plenty of room for the train stops, and as soon as I start laying down plans it's already falling apart before I've even finished designing the base.

Look at this loving disaster. Here's the green and red circuit builds:

You don't need to see the trains running to know this will fall apart. People who can visualize things in their head have an unfair advantage in this game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Prettz posted:

Got back to rebuilding my base to a proper megabase in vanilla factorio, after taking a break from it. I can now see why Nilaus's builds use smaller city blocks and dedicate entire blocks to train loading and unloading. I'm trying to using huge city blocks, thinking I'd have plenty of room for the train stops, and as soon as I start laying down plans it's already falling apart before I've even finished designing the base.

Look at this loving disaster. Here's the green and red circuit builds:

You don't need to see the trains running to know this will fall apart. People who can visualize things in their head have an unfair advantage in this game.

This sort of thing is why I don't even try to use a city-block system. I just plop down huge builds wherever, then build the rail unloading / loading stuff as needed to support it and then connect it all to the sprawling wherever I need it rail system. Space is infinite and I'm lazy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unless you know exactly what you want to build, it's not a great idea to try to space-constrain it. People who are building a city blocked megabase are typically doing so knowing exactly how much throughput they want and having engineered all their designs ahead of time.

You can still keep rails evenly spaced if you want, just don't build them all. Sometimes things are going to be one block, sometimes they're going to be two, three, four, whatever. Just make sure to leave space to build things.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So my friends and I have started a K2/SE/VeryBZ combo game and so far the highlight has been the map generator screwing us over on aluminum and so we've set up roads so we can drive carloads of aluminum from distant outposts to our central hub because we don't even have green science yet.

Note to mod developers: if you're going to replace Iron or Copper in a bunch of recipes, please make sure your replacement follows the same generation rules.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
whatever happened with their expansion?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

boo_radley posted:

whatever happened with their expansion?

My assumption is that since the base game is so incredibly polished, it'll take a couple years before the expansion even hits the point of being worth showing off.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been slowly plugging away at the pyanodon mods for a while now and I finally managed to hit logistic science. My base is probably the biggest pile of spaghetti I've ever made:

I managed to get the first bits of science rolling around 77.5 hours in. It shouldn't be too long now till I can get some logistic bots (they're in logistic science in these mods) and some new processes so I can finally move over to a full on train base.

I think this might actually be faster than my previous logistic science time with Pyanodon Alien Life, but I'd have to check my old save files for that if I even still have them.

edit: No it wasn't faster, for Alien Life it "only" took 45 hours

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Factorio 102 questions:

If Plastic takes 1s to craft, and a red belt carries 30/s, shouldn't it be 15 chemical plants to a side to fill a red belt? Then why does this monstrosity fill the belt in 8/15 plants, leaving the rest to idle?

E: Oh checking tooltips to check my numbers again plastic crafts 2 in one second. No wonder. :doh:

Shimmy that output belt to the side once its full and start a new one, gogo doubled plastic production.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Update to previous:

That naturally led to the cycle of "well now I need more petro gas" and "crap I'm bottlenecking on light oil let's crack it"

Now I have two more oil fields on the train network and vastly more plastic than I'll ever need