Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

verbal enema posted:

i need to record some Project Brutality + Slaughtermaps to showcase how loving ludicrous it can be

I'm working on the last elemental upgrade tree for my mod, lightning, and one of the masteries for it is chain lightning that scales with the number of enemies caught in the chain

Once it's working I'm going to fire up a slaughtermap with it just to watch my laptop's potato gpu go :byoscience:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

And at the end, you ride a dragon into the heart of Hell to kick Satan's rear end with dual-wielded rocket launchers and a World War 1 mech.

Necrovision is hilarious, especially once you get a combo going and things around you just start exploding for no reason.

I've never played the expansion/sequel, what's that like?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mordja posted:

I'm curious about that too, since I have Necrovision (haven't played it yet, but it sounds awesome) but I also thought about grabbing Lost Company when it's gone on sale.

verbal enema posted:

i need to record some Project Brutality + Slaughtermaps to showcase how loving ludicrous it can be

I've been playing through Doom 2 with Project Brutality 3.0, and it's pretty good. The fluidity of the weapon animations is amazing.

What's the go-to for slaughtermaps? Is there like a map set for them, because the way Project Brutality works, you don't get access to more advanced weapons and different enemies until you get to later maps, so I don't know how it would work with stand-alone maps.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I'm curious about that too, since I have Necrovision (haven't played it yet, but it sounds awesome) but I also thought about grabbing Lost Company when it's gone on sale.

I've been playing through Doom 2 with Project Brutality 3.0, and it's pretty good. The fluidity of the weapon animations is amazing.

What's the go-to for slaughtermaps? Is there like a map set for them, because the way Project Brutality works, you don't get access to more advanced weapons and different enemies until you get to later maps, so I don't know how it would work with stand-alone maps.

There's a lot of slaughtermap megawads. If you want something that's got big maps with lots of enemies but isn't precisely tough, I'd try Hellbound. It's not a slaughtermap set difficulty wise, but there's a lot of it in general so if you want Project Brutality to sing it'll give you plenty of room.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm working on the last elemental upgrade tree for my mod, lightning, and one of the masteries for it is chain lightning that scales with the number of enemies caught in the chain

Once it's working I'm going to fire up a slaughtermap with it just to watch my laptop's potato gpu go :byoscience:

That sounds cool, remember to publicize your mod here when it's ready!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Sadly, not very good. It's much more focused on the WWI elements of the first half of the base game as opposed to the sheer dumb fun of the second.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More old games getting prepped for Game Pass.

https://twitter.com/xboxinsider/status/1547658988983967744

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Are they going to throw them with a source port or something? Or just slap dosbox and call it a day.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

Are they going to throw them with a source port or something? Or just slap dosbox and call it a day.

They can't touch a single line of code in Heretic or Hexen until the Activision purchase is complete, and not a day sooner. Until they they only have the distribution rights, and thus can only distribute the game as is, so yes it's Dosbox by default.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guillermus posted:

They're dosbox sets, (except for Quakchamps obviously) same as steam and gog

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're dosbox sets, (except for Quakchamps obviously) same as steam and gog

Rocket Pan posted:

They can't touch a single line of code in Heretic or Hexen until the Activision purchase is complete, and not a day sooner. Until they they only have the distribution rights, and thus can only distribute the game as is, so yes it's Dosbox by default.

Cheers thank you!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Could just grab the wad and throw it in gzdoom. But then you wouldn’t even need gamepass.

Wonder if they’ll ever do a port like they did with doom and quake.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

That sounds cool, remember to publicize your mod here when it's ready!

Will do! At the moment I just have a small set of alpha testers, but I do want to publish it here and possibly also on the zdoom forums once it's feature-complete. It'll still need more polish after that (there are some missing sound effects and placeholder graphics, etc) but I don't want to release it widely while there are still major features missing.

I also expect the balance to be pretty wonky, but hopefully in a fun way.

In the meantime, here's a minimod that I ended up making as a side effect: Indestructable. (You will need both pk3s; load libtooltipmenu first.) It gives you a sort of "second wind" effect when you die, healing you and giving you a short-lived time freeze + double damage buff. It has a bunch of configuration options, and should be compatible with basically everything. I made it primarily for use with setups like Map Order Shuffle + Universal Pistol Start where sometimes the dice just come up "gently caress you", but you can use it anywhere.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’d kinda love Elder Scrolls Arena to get some modern-ish controls and/or maybe some controller support.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Anyone with Game Pass will also get full unlocks of every character in Quake Champions.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I wonder if they'll bother with Hexen 2 + Portal of Praevus one day

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Congratulations to quake champions for reaching classic game status without ever leaving early access

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Squeezy Farm posted:

Congratulations to quake champions for reaching classic game status without ever leaving early access
Now that's a successful beta test

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yes, yes yes! Hexen me baby

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Painkiller had an interesting depiction of Hell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Painkiller had an interesting depiction of Hell.
Probably my favorite depiction of Hell in all of videogaming, actually. At moments it's straight-up chilling.
Too bad about the boss fight.

e: Since there's some Hexen talk: I tried the Hexen tribute game Hands of Necromancy recently. Would not recommend, and I'm saying that as someone who actually likes Hexen, warts (like abysmal level design) and all. I think the biggest problem of it is how ridiculously weak and unsatisfying its weapons feel even if you utilize their gimmicks; with most of them, you'll be plinking away at the most basic enemies for a couple of seconds which completely murders the pace and makes you want to actually avoid the combat. Maybe it gets better with later weapons, but I've forced myself through episode 1 and really don't feel any need to go further.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 15, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doom 3 is really dark.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Doom 3 is really dark.
I've heard rumors to this effect. Is it true?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I can't see any proof of this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seems fake

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doom 3 is really boring

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I wonder if they'll bother with Hexen 2 + Portal of Praevus one day

same, hexen 2 deserves more love. it's way better than hexen 1

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

it's not real

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I replayed Doom 3 early last year, and started Resurrection of Evil recently. There's a lot to like in those games, but I had never played the BFG edition until now, and I'm not convinced that BFG editions changes were for the better.

Doom 3 on Switch actually plays and looks great! In 2004 I blazed through Doom 3 but felt it was much less notable than Half Life 2 or even Far Cry, let alone all the great stuff that came shortly after those. The small enemy counts, slower pacing, and tight corridors just weren't exciting to me 18 years ago, but it fits really well on Switch where faster-paced shooters do not work as well.

I don't know that I have ever played Resurrection of Evil before, and it cracks me up that it's grabbing onto every single mid 2000s FPS mechanic possible: it added a gravity gun that lets you throw stuff around, and a charge-based bullet time mechanic. It might just be because I don't have nostalgia for it, or that the campaign pacing is a bit wonky and I actually like Doom 3's long, slow intro sections, but I'm not enjoying RoE as much as I enjoyed Doom 3 last year. The super shotgun is also painfully slow to reload, but if it were any faster it'd be too strong compared to the rest of D3's arsenal.

I just hit a sewer section that felt incredibly lame, straightforward, and repetitive in RoE, but apparently the sewer section in the original 2005 release involved wearing a chemical suit, having a visual and audio filter, and having to chase oxygen cylinders, but for BFG edition they just straight up removed all of that. Disappointing.

Edit: the lighting model is insanely good and some rooms / sequences do awesome things with it, but the human models are so drat ugly.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 15, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

e: Since there's some Hexen talk: I tried the Hexen tribute game Hands of Necromancy recently. Would not recommend, and I'm saying that as someone who actually likes Hexen, warts (like abysmal level design) and all. I think the biggest problem of it is how ridiculously weak and unsatisfying its weapons feel even if you utilize their gimmicks; with most of them, you'll be plinking away at the most basic enemies for a couple of seconds which completely murders the pace and makes you want to actually avoid the combat. Maybe it gets better with later weapons, but I've forced myself through episode 1 and really don't feel any need to go further.

This sounds very true to the original, honestly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doom3 owns.

Also is a “slaughtermap” exactly what it sounds like?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

Doom3 owns.

Correct, it's an ultra-realistic abattoir simulator. Doom's really big in Germany after all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I replayed Doom 3 early last year, and started Resurrection of Evil recently. There's a lot to like in those games, but I had never played the BFG edition until now, and I'm not convinced that BFG editions changes were for the better.

Doom 3 on Switch actually plays and looks great! In 2004 I blazed through Doom 3 but felt it was much less notable than Half Life 2 or even Far Cry, let alone all the great stuff that came shortly after those. The small enemy counts, slower pacing, and tight corridors just weren't exciting to me 18 years ago, but it fits really well on Switch where faster-paced shooters do not work as well.

I don't know that I have ever played Resurrection of Evil before, and it cracks me up that it's grabbing onto every single mid 2000s FPS mechanic possible: it added a gravity gun that lets you throw stuff around, and a charge-based bullet time mechanic. It might just be because I don't have nostalgia for it, or that the campaign pacing is a bit wonky and I actually like Doom 3's long, slow intro sections, but I'm not enjoying RoE as much as I enjoyed Doom 3 last year. The super shotgun is also painfully slow to reload, but if it were any faster it'd be too strong compared to the rest of D3's arsenal.

I just hit a sewer section that felt incredibly lame, straightforward, and repetitive in RoE, but apparently the sewer section in the original 2005 release involved wearing a chemical suit, having a visual and audio filter, and having to chase oxygen cylinders, but for BFG edition they just straight up removed all of that. Disappointing.

Edit: the lighting model is insanely good and some rooms / sequences do awesome things with it, but the human models are so drat ugly.

I don't know if you're aware, but Doom 3's gravity gun predates HL2 - it was a dev tool originally and then they went "oh people like this as a game mechanic" when HL2 came out so it was added to the player arsenal in RoE.

Xenomrph posted:

Doom3 owns.

A slaughtermap is kind of hard to define, it's one of those "you know it when you see it" things. Generally, it's a map that throws enough monsters at you at once that you have to focus on crowd controlling tens or hundreds of enemies, instead of being able to deal with them individually. Many but not all slaughtermaps are very difficult, but it's not the only way to create super difficulty in classic Doom. Notably, it's a different experience from what you get in say Doom Eternal: individual enemies in slaughtermaps are easier to handle, but the overall design and numbers of them is what makes them a difficult challenge.

This is a good example of a slaughtermap, albeit a very difficult one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJ4-03m9hU

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 15, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

I don't know if you're aware, but Doom 3's gravity gun predates HL2 - it was a dev tool originally and then they went "oh people like this as a game mechanic" when HL2 came out so it was added to the player arsenal in RoE.

A slaughtermap is kind of hard to define, it's one of those "you know it when you see it" things. Generally, it's a map that throws enough monsters at you at once that you have to focus on crowd controlling tens or hundreds of enemies, instead of being able to deal with them individually. Many but not all slaughtermaps are very difficult, but it's not the only way to create super difficulty in classic Doom. Notably, it's a different experience from what you get in say Doom Eternal: individual enemies in slaughtermaps are easier to handle, but the overall design and numbers of them is what makes them a difficult challenge.

This is a good example of a slaughtermap, albeit a very difficult one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJ4-03m9hU

Of note is that this is a demo by Zero Master, one of the absolute best at Doom. He has practiced this map and come up with an optimized route through lots of practice before publishing this. Your mileage very much will vary when you attempt to play this map.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arivia posted:

I had zero idea! It doesn't feel good to play with, at least on Switch where I don't have great aim. Sure, it'd be useful if ammo were more scarce, but BFG edition gives you so much ammo I can just throw grenades instead of an explosive barrel, or just shoot enemies with guns instead. The physics system for stuff around the levels also isn't anywhere near as impactful as HL2's.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I had zero idea! It doesn't feel good to play with, at least on Switch where I don't have great aim. Sure, it'd be useful if ammo were more scarce, but BFG edition gives you so much ammo I can just throw grenades instead of an explosive barrel, or just shoot enemies with guns instead. The physics system for stuff around the levels also isn't anywhere near as impactful as HL2's.

The most powerful use of the grabber in RoE is to grab enemy projectiles and throw them back. Most enemies are instantly killed and even the bigger ones are dispatched fairly quickly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I beat the original three episodes of Duke Nukem 3D. Gonna do the 4th, then check out that Alien Apocalypse mod. The second ep was easily the worst, it's such a downgrade in quality compared to its predecessor, but luckily Shrapnel City picks up immediately. Duke's a classic for a reason but at the same time it's probably my least favourite of the three Build engine games I've played. Blood is #1 with a bullet, then it's neck and neck with Ion Fury with the latter edging it out for actual playability with its more modern gameplay conventions. My biggest beef with D3D just came from the amount of hitscan enemies, whereas in Doom it's just the Chaingunners and a single rare boss. I also felt D3D was missing a Super Shotgun equivalent to deal with those lizard guys BUT I will cop to the fact that I only realized you could hold the mouse button down to throw your pipebombs further. :doh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Doom didn't have chaingunners, they're a strictly doom 2 enemy. But yeah the space levels are easily the worst. I think they were the ones designed first, so it kind of makes sense.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm actually pretty fond of Lunar Apocalypse, except for the loving sentry drones. Probably the worst of the 4 episodes though, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Mordja posted:

I beat the original three episodes of Duke Nukem 3D. Gonna do the 4th, then check out that Alien Apocalypse mod. The second ep was easily the worst, it's such a downgrade in quality compared to its predecessor, but luckily Shrapnel City picks up immediately. Duke's a classic for a reason but at the same time it's probably my least favourite of the three Build engine games I've played. Blood is #1 with a bullet, then it's neck and neck with Ion Fury with the latter edging it out for actual playability with its more modern gameplay conventions. My biggest beef with D3D just came from the amount of hitscan enemies, whereas in Doom it's just the Chaingunners and a single rare boss. I also felt D3D was missing a Super Shotgun equivalent to deal with those lizard guys BUT I will cop to the fact that I only realized you could hold the mouse button down to throw your pipebombs further. :doh:

Make sure you play Alien World Tour, it's honestly a really fun Duke 3D episode