Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Brett Morgen, the crown prince of archival collage, has his David Bowie movie coming out this year (in IMAX no less!) and it will probably be a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61SJbLhTqE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
GWAR documentary is coming out July 21st on Shudder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z4pB9m8F0

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Prehistoric Planet was fantastic. I loved the standoff in the blizzard at the end of the fourth episode, favorites were Mononykus and the velociraptors

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 15, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

highly recommend Gladbeck on Netflix. Even in times where livestreams of ongoing wars are almost the norm, this film is still very disturbing from many perspectives.

Its especially noteworthy that it has no interviews and no classification. Its original footage only.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

haldolium posted:

highly recommend Gladbeck on Netflix. Even in times where livestreams of ongoing wars are almost the norm, this film is still very disturbing from many perspectives.

Its especially noteworthy that it has no interviews and no classification. Its original footage only.

Just watched this, thanks for the recommendation. It's exactly the type of documentary of an event that I like; no interviews, no overdramatization, it doesn't feature the filmmakers and most importantly, no re-enactments. It's also tense as all hell, really surreal and frustrating. The footage of the hostage takers just hanging out with hostages, guns in full view while people either casually walk by or journalists crowd them.

I'm torn about the presence of the media during the whole thing. I mean it's the reason the documentary exists in the first place but it didn't feel like they were making things better, especially that one guy asking the girl if she thinks she'll be shot while someone is holding a gun to her head. On top of that it's just loving gross to see them swarm around someone who's been shot and snapping away and even at one point smugly stating to the main hostage taker that the press is "protecting them." At least they have laws against the press meddling like that now.

But there I was watching it so, uh, who is the real monster? Weird mixture of frustration and guilt seeing people rubbernecking at the whole thing, really.

Also, the cops. Proper Keystone Polizei. How do you not have an ambulance at the scene? Like, a hostage gets shot and they're like, "Whoa, better call an ambulance I suppose!" Jesus. They also completely gently caress up establishing contact with the hostage takers and otherwise just sit back and chill, until they suddenly decide to engage them on the autobahn, resulting in a dead hostage.

And arresting the female accomplice in the middle of the whole thing was just some Big Brain stuff.

Bit of a rant but before watching this all I knew was that there was a hostage crisis in Germany in '88. Seeing it all go down is nuts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

haldolium posted:

Jesus. This is like Dog Day Afternoon only in Germany

EDIT

Also, I hadn't seen it mentioned but Sasha Cohen did a follow up to to Borat 2 that was not a comedy and peeled back the curtain of some of the poo poo he pulled off in Subsequent Movie Film called Borat's Amercian Lockdown that interviews serious people on the things he hosed around with. I had my doubts about the 2 rednecks he lived with and how much was staged (and still do) but I still found it worth a watch. Seeing him going from ultimate satire to rather serious was a tonal shift that I found compelling.

It's on Amazon

Edit 2

Also, holy moly, don't watch The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez unless you want to have your heart ripped out of your chest and instantly become a staunch supporter of the death penalty. It's a tough watch

Do we have a dedicated True Crime thread on the forums? Like for podcasts, books, docs and such? Seems there'd be one somewhere since I can't be the only person that pays attention to that but I've looked around an nada. Maybe I'll start one.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 16, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched it, too. It's just a total mind gently caress to go through. I get the police trying to keep everyone alive. That's what they should be doing. But then the gently caress-up with the arrest and then the last bit which isn't really explained. Based on the pics I am guessing they rammed into them to get the car to stop or something. Still confused what happened. I get why they don't have video but it was still confusing.

The worst part, to me, is the reporter who tells the crazy dude in the back seat that he should hold the gun to the girls head. Just disgusting.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just watched Gladbeck too -- thanks for the recommendation. One of the tensest things I've seen in a while. I'd never heard of the incident and didn't know how it ended, so by the end I was vaguely nauseous from the tension.

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched it, too. It's just a total mind gently caress to go through. I get the police trying to keep everyone alive. That's what they should be doing. But then the gently caress-up with the arrest and then the last bit which isn't really explained. Based on the pics I am guessing they rammed into them to get the car to stop or something. Still confused what happened. I get why they don't have video but it was still confusing.

The worst part, to me, is the reporter who tells the crazy dude in the back seat that he should hold the gun to the girls head. Just disgusting.

This is the one major shortcoming of the documentary; they should have inserted a couple of title cards explaining what happened during the Dutch rest stop altercation and the final confrontation. I ended up looking up the Wikipedia article which provides some details that somehow make both the press and the cops look even worse:

quote:

At 2:30 am on 18 August 1988, the bus entered the Netherlands. At 5:15 am two women and three children were released, after the Dutch police refused to negotiate as long as children were being held hostage. At 6:30 am Rösner and Degowski got a BMW 735i. The getaway car had been prepared by the police so that the engine could be stopped by remote control. While attempting to escape, Löblich and the bus driver were injured.

During a stop in Wuppertal the abductors went shopping in a pharmacy. After stopping in a pedestrian area in Cologne at 10:30 am, the car was surrounded by media and shoppers. Some reporters offered to guide the abductors on their way or to hand them pictures of police officers to prevent trickery if hostages were exchanged. A reporter - Udo Röbel - guided the abductors to a nearby rest area on the autobahn and accompanied them for several kilometres.

On the A3 close to Bad Honnef, a few kilometres before the state border between North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate, a police car rammed the getaway car at 1:40 pm and rendered it immobile, triggering a gunfight. One of the hostages was able to exit the car. However, Silke Bischoff, 18, was fatally shot in the heart and died. After that the abductors were arrested.

The remote control to stop the car engine was not used since the police officers had forgotten to take it with them. Across the state border, a special task force (GSG9) was in position waiting to take action.

By the way, if you haven't seen it, this pairs well with another excellent but harrowing documentary, One Day in September. Completely different circumstances, setting, and players involved, but another unbelievable example of German law enforcement incompetence in handling a hostage taking.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

By the way, if you haven't seen it, this pairs well with another excellent but harrowing documentary, One Day in September. Completely different circumstances, setting, and players involved, but another unbelievable example of German law enforcement incompetence in handling a hostage taking.

Yeah, I remember this being a good one too. It really is pretty harrowing if you don't know about what happened or haven't seen Spielberg's "Munich," though obviously the documentary goes pretty in-depth into what's a total of 10 or 15 minutes in the movie.

The ending of the documentary is a.. choice, I'd say. If I recall it shows images of the corpses of all the people who were killed during the final siege while a Deep Purple (I think) song plays. It's pretty offputting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You recall correctly.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Yeah, a questionable choice in an otherwise fantastic documentary. From what I recall, it kind of fits with the film's overall approach (there are
some other montages set to contemporary music), but obviously done in bad taste, and a bit ghoulish.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A fair amount of true crime docs come up in this thread and it got me to wondering if there's a dedicated thread for true crime poo poo on the forums.

Between podcasts, books and documentaries, I can't possibly be the only one here that gets into some of that poo poo.

I guess some people consider it to be exploitative and trashy (and a lot of it can be) but I view it more through a lens of behavioral science. If I were to start a dedicated True Crime thread in Rapidly Going Deaf, you think anyone would be interested?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yes, probably.

True crime comes up a lot in the PYF unnerving thread, but it is a pretty slow moving thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

A fair amount of true crime docs come up in this thread and it got me to wondering if there's a dedicated thread for true crime poo poo on the forums.

Between podcasts, books and documentaries, I can't possibly be the only one here that gets into some of that poo poo.

I guess some people consider it to be exploitative and trashy (and a lot of it can be) but I view it more through a lens of behavioral science. If I were to start a dedicated True Crime thread in Rapidly Going Deaf, you think anyone would be interested?

go for it itd be interesting

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

go for it itd be interesting

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yes, probably.

True crime comes up a lot in the PYF unnerving thread, but it is a pretty slow moving thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148

Cool. I'll work up an OP then. Not sure whether to put it in RGD, TVIV or here in CD though. I listen to true crime podcasts but also watch documentaries on TV, on subscription services and also read books on the subject so let me think about it.

Suggestions on where to post it anyone?

Also, stumbled on a comic book doc I've never seen that's pretty good and is up on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/mystuff/ref=atv_dp_mv_c_9zZ8D2_1_6

Called "Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle" and it has a lot to offer for fans of the medium. Hopefully that link works even though it's from my logged in account.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Suggestions on where to post it anyone?

PYF Horrible Tragedy (56K NO)

In seriousness, the existing PYF thread would probably be appreciative of an effort post. Media about true crime has been well covered. The "problem" (heavy quotes there) is that there's only so much subject matter to cover. There's a poster who is doing some interesting writing about Albuquerque's massive murder rate and a serial killer they believe to be operating there now, though.

Also, this isn't quite a documentary, but I'd recommend Flee. It's an animated series of interviews with a man who fled Afghanistan as a child for Europe. It's pretty hard to watch in some places and humanizes the experience (for a viewer in the US, like me, whose main engagement with refugees is in the context of political arguments) of anyone leaving their home with limited resources to start a new life somewhere that doesn't particularly want them. The subject matter is different, but it is stylistically very similar to Waltz With Bashir.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

I feel this 1980 Peter Ustinov movie dealing with "Nuclear Nightmares" seems prescient. It details hypothetical situations that lead to WW3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWOfHP5KTs&t=1118s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films and it's kinda fascinating how split the people who worked for them is. One director says they allowed him to make his best movie while an actress is still so mad at them that she put a lighter to the dvd of the movie she was in.
I liked what one of the talking heads said about them, that they loved movies in the abstract. They wanted to make good movies, but they didn't want to put in the effort of learning how to do it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I’ve been meaning to watch that, as some friends and I went through a period where we were very into Cannon Films/Golan-Globus productions, particularly America 3000, which I see now is the movie the actress set fire to in the documentary lol

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Electric Boogaloo is a tremendously fun documentary. I would definitely second that you should see it, its an entertaining way to get some recommends for fun trash to watch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried watching The Last Tourist on Hulu. It's terrible. Very biased and not really a documentary at all. Stay away.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Gladbeck is very intense. I'm surprised I had never heard about the story before because it's insane.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

I’ve been meaning to watch that, as some friends and I went through a period where we were very into Cannon Films/Golan-Globus productions, particularly America 3000, which I see now is the movie the actress set fire to in the documentary lol

After watching the documentary I can't blame her. Some of the actresses talk about how terrible they were treated. One were forced to lay naked on a cellar floor between takes for example.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Waltzing Along posted:

I tried watching The Last Tourist on Hulu. It's terrible. Very biased and not really a documentary at all. Stay away.

Yeah, that looks terrible. Watch all-time classic Cannibal Tours instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQ_8wl93HM

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Yeah, that looks terrible. Watch all-time classic Cannibal Tours instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQ_8wl93HM

Cannibal Tours is incredible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't have Shudder but I'm interested in this GWAR documentary

https://www.avclub.com/this-gwar-review-dave-brockie-hunter-jackson-1849116619

trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z4pB9m8F0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I also read that review and had no idea GWAR was such a contentious project.

I knew things got messy after Oderus passed on, but hell.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I also read that review and had no idea GWAR was such a contentious project.

Me neither but I can certainly see how it got that way.

A bunch of fine artists and musicians all working extremely hard on some extraordinary stage shows and touring constantly for very little fame or money is gonna lead to some tension, financial issues and jostling for control.

As someone with a fine arts degree, I really appreciate GWAR's theatrics and have seen them three times. I could take or leave the music, honestly, but the poo poo they pull off from a visual and mere craft angle is really loving something. But an act like that is never really going to go mainstream and has very few angles to "sell out" even if they wanted to.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Me neither but I can certainly see how it got that way.

A bunch of fine artists and musicians all working extremely hard on some extraordinary stage shows and touring constantly for very little fame or money is gonna lead to some tension, financial issues and jostling for control.

As someone with a fine arts degree, I really appreciate GWAR's theatrics and have seen them three times. I could take or leave the music, honestly, but the poo poo they pull off from a visual and mere craft angle is really loving something. But an act like that is never really going to go mainstream and has very few angles to "sell out" even if they wanted to.

When I read that they were involved with Shocker Toys my heart sank, I post occasionally in BSS and remember the bile and anger towards them for ripping virtually everyone off.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
They are more brand than beast now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That documentary looks cool. Another pointless streaming service is not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Waltzing Along posted:

Another pointless streaming service is not.

Eh, Shudders been around for years and concentrates on a specific niche and is well liked. They're not really looking to compete with any of the johnny come latelies. They're pretty good, iffy-software aside.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
My sister highly recommended Girl In the Picture but being somewhat familiar with the details I'm hesitant to watch it. If anyone has seen it, does it add anything of substance to the story or is it a litany of horrible things happening to the same person?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianRx posted:

My sister highly recommended Girl In the Picture but being somewhat familiar with the details I'm hesitant to watch it. If anyone has seen it, does it add anything of substance to the story or is it a litany of horrible things happening to the same person?

I wasn't familiar with the story and it was pretty hosed up. However, unlike many stories of its like, it has a relatively happy ending. I mean as happy an ending as that sort of story can have.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like true crime and checked it out. It was quite good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BrianRx posted:

I knew the case pretty well and I got a lot out of it. They focus on the quest to discover who Sharon Marshall actually was and I don't know if I've seen a true crime documentary that treated the victims of a crime as well as this one did. Was surprised because I was expecting just another Netflix true crime doc.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 17, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, that's fair. It also, iirc, is only one episode as opposed to 6 drawn out wastes of time.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for the reviews. That it humanizes the subject of the documentary and doesn't stretch things out for a week of viewing sold me.

Now to trick my partner into watching it with me... They do like true crime series at least, but from what I know of the story, this will be bonkers messed up.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Echoing that Girl in the Picture was very well done. I was crying for like the last 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After watching the 1984-2020 version of Life of Crime yesterday, I’m doing the two original ones today to fill in some of the gaps. They didn’t do a bad job of crunching down the originals into an hour catch-up for the new one, but nothing prepared me for the fact Life of Crime 2 starts with the Macarena.