Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

Head of government visits part of the country. This is big news.

I'm trying to understand why this wasn't said without a contrived comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

im reading an old larry niven story where he makes reference to the two province system of china where if youre having a famine you look at two provinces and manufacture a reason to take all the grain from one province and give it to the other destroying the first and guaranteeing the loyalty of the second

is this based on anything that ever happened or is it just totally made up im not thinking niven is any kind of expert on the east asia given that in the same story he refers to chinese empire or japanese empire as being a similar kind of fascism

The main larry niven thing I remember is he said the behavior of human women could be explained by the fact that they were the only animal where the female has orgasms.

You should not take seriously anything he says.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

all larrys are unreliable

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

all larrys are unreliable

free larry parrish, lock up larry niven

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

30.5 Days posted:

free larry parrish, lock up larry niven

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
larry niven wrote an entire sequel to ringworld only because some MIT nerds did some math that said it couldn't exist because it'd fall into the sun so he wrote an entire book where was like NO IT HAS HUGE ROCKETS ON THE SIDE THAT KEEPS IT STEADY I JUST DIDN'T MENTION IT LAST TIME BECAUSE THEY WERE BROKEN BUT THEY'RE TOTALLY THERE

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
just put windows on your giant rotating drum,

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Why, the biggest cult of all ...

this dude kinda reminds me of Jijii from Ichi the Killer, not sure why

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Larry Niven also wrote a story where a guy goes to the year 1,000,000 and gets chased around future wasteland earth by an immortal cat lady

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm trying to understand why this wasn't said without a contrived comparison.

indigi made the comparison, I pointed out the categorical error with an analogy more familiar to english speakers (AmericanS)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Antonymous posted:

its more like visiting oklahoma, a state with an oppressed native population under the thumb of the central government, and the national ethnic majority, not native to the region, making up half the population.

except it has the population of texas instead of oklahoma

and Xinjiang is 3x bigger than texas

the big difference in this comparison is that China’s anti-poverty campaign is real and getting results, while natives in Oklahoma are left to languish in the poorest states parts of the state. in Oklahoma all development is dictated by oil & natural gas, and the telecoms operating out of Tulsa.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the big difference in this comparison is that China’s anti-poverty campaign is real and getting results, while natives in Oklahoma are left to languish in the poorest states parts of the state. in Oklahoma all development is dictated by oil & natural gas, and the telecoms operating out of Tulsa.

there are towns in eastern OK where the average life expectancy of a Native American resident is like 56 years

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/snlyngaas/status/1547575872995020808

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

breaking: in intelligence circles, some suspect china encouraged trump to run as a "pied piper" candidate

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

President Xi please send Xinjiang lamb skewers and some of that frozen ice stuff they make to Oklahoma it's hot outside and my people yearn for treats

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

there are towns in eastern OK where the average life expectancy of a Native American resident is like 56 years

is biden doing a genocide on christians??

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Oh my god, those monsters were googling us!!!!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Using cults to ""influence""" other countries right wing/conservative parties is an angle I have never considered before, but it seem so obviously in retrospect.

So my next question is, does CIA do it in other countries? Europe? Philippines?

Australia already has Falun gong, they got to have other cults right?

have you ever seen Mormon missionaries wandering around talking to people? there's a decent chance their mission president is a CIA officer lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

Since 1999, Gülen has lived in self-exile in the United States near Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania.[18][19][20]

kinda weird that mehmet oz, a turkish citizen, is trying to become a Senator for that state when he doesn't even live there

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

kinda weird that mehmet oz, a turkish citizen, is trying to become a Senator for that state when he doesn't even live there

:hmmyes:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
president Xi please rescue Arizona

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2022/07/14/arizona-cities-would-collapse-without-prison-labor/10062910002/

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
just gonna scream into the void that if your community is dependent on slave labor to survive your community should be destroyed but everybody knows that lmao

i lived in california, california's the same loving thing

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

atelier morgan posted:

just gonna scream into the void that if your community is dependent on slave labor to survive your community should be destroyed but everybody knows that lmao

i lived in california, california's the same loving thing

You only call them labor camps if theyre scary foreign prisons

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

30.5 Days posted:

The main larry niven thing I remember is he said the behavior of human women could be explained by the fact that they were the only animal where the female has orgasms.

You should not take seriously anything he says.

Every single sci fi author has a weird sex politics thing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Every single sci fi author has a weird sex politics thing.

In a bizarre twist this is also true of fantasy writers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1548044735893622784?s=20&t=D9cFRXpeX2ufQPQYH47P0A

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

... lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I wish protecting queer people was his motivation... :sigh:

https://www.cbr.com/negima-creator-ken-akamatsu-censorship-politics/

quote:

Oku-sama wa Shogakusei (My Wife is an Elementary School Student)

so he's an anti-communist crusader right?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol i saw some figure that california has the 50,000 slaves doing the equivalent of 40hrs a week

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
incidentally xinwen lianbo had a segment in a recent broadcast on native american boarding schools in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kyYydN9xn0&t=1589s

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/snlyngaas/status/1547615183295508481

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Antonymous posted:

its more like visiting oklahoma, a state with an oppressed native population under the thumb of the central government, and the national ethnic majority, not native to the region, making up half the population.

except it has the population of texas instead of oklahoma

and Xinjiang is 3x bigger than texas
what "native population"? surely you don't mean the tribes displaced via the trail of tears.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

what "native population"? surely you don't mean the tribes displaced via the trail of tears.

you're right, it was resettled forcibly in the 1830s. much like Urumqi was resettled with Uighurs forcibly by the Qing in the 1750s

The qing forced out the buddhists and resettled Xinjiang with muslims, a win for Islam

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

im reading an old larry niven story where he makes reference to the two province system of china where if youre having a famine you look at two provinces and manufacture a reason to take all the grain from one province and give it to the other destroying the first and guaranteeing the loyalty of the second

is this based on anything that ever happened or is it just totally made up im not thinking niven is any kind of expert on the east asia given that in the same story he refers to chinese empire or japanese empire as being a similar kind of fascism

this is literally oppositeofreality.txt

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That is pretty neat, but skipping all the way from western zhou to qing policies does gloss over just a few thousand years in between

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Antonymous posted:

you're right
yes, i am. thank you.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The one thing I like about Niven is he wasn't afraid to get really weird with it. Like in the first ringworld book there was a lady who was bred to be the luckiest person ever in a government program because he decided luck was genetic. The entire deal was that there was a worldwide one child policy but there was a lottery to be able to have a second child that existed purely so they could breed the luckiest person ever. The lady in the book was the 13th generation in a row to be born purely because their parents won the lottery.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk I really liked that strain of 1970s sci fi where it would be like "Dak Landor was the greatest pilot in the entire galaxy! He was defended by Strixis, the warrior queen of Kalnor VII. And James, who could talk to ghosts."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

30.5 Days posted:

idk I really liked that strain of 1970s sci fi where it would be like "Dak Landor was the greatest pilot in the entire galaxy! He was defended by Strixis, the warrior queen of Kalnor VII. And James, who could talk to ghosts."

This is just a RPG party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
xi in xinjiang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_inMsbrjdWI