Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Subvisual Haze posted:

Wow, this sounds like the most important election of our lives!

We are going to need the most qualified candidate ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

There were coups in south America under Obama.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There were coups in south America under Obama.

He almost succeeded in Türkıye too
https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1547864892400488449

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Venomous posted:

lmaoooo when was this published

e: ok apparently this is from a 2009 book called '40 More Years: How the Democrats Will Rule the Next Generation', by James Carville and Rebecca Buckwalter-Poza, which, lmaoooooooooo

I think it's not wholly unfair to say that in 2009 the democrats were in a position to dominate American politics for a generation. if they had pressed their advantage and passed some big substantive measures to improve peoples' lives like m4a, and/or thrown a bunch of bankers in jail they would have been wildly popular. even many republicans thought they were hosed. arlen specter switched parties to D in 2009 because he thought he was sure he was going to lose if he stayed a republican (the republicans retook the seat in 2012).

unfortunately obama and the dems didn't want to do any of the things they were elected to do and saw their main responsibility as defusing and demobilizing the agitated public that elected them.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: dumbass post

Venomous has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Jul 15, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shear Modulus posted:

I think it's not wholly unfair to say that in 2009 the democrats were in a position to dominate American politics for a generation. if they had pressed their advantage and passed some big substantive measures to improve peoples' lives like m4a, and/or thrown a bunch of bankers in jail they would have been wildly popular. even many republicans thought they were hosed. arlen specter switched parties to D in 2009 because he thought he was sure he was going to lose if he stayed a republican (the republicans retook the seat in 2012).

unfortunately obama and the dems didn't want to do any of the things they were elected to do and saw their main responsibility as defusing and demobilizing the agitated public that elected them.

Only if you were a stupid dipshit who was easily fooled by Obama and didn't see him for what he was.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Venomous posted:

I mean, Erdoğan is dogshit, as is the AKP, so the ensuing (probably Kemalist) military government might have been the lesser of two evils? idk

The famously Kemalist Gülenists?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1glitch0 posted:

Only if you were a stupid dipshit who was easily fooled by Obama and didn't see him for what he was.

I think that’s most people.

Obama and the Democrats acting the way they did seems to have been a pivotal moment for politics and culture. The working class dropping out of politics and believing that any politician who promises to improve their material conditions is lying definitely hurt Bernie, for example.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gülenists hate Atatürk so much they spell his name Qamal as ownage because they think he hated Arabs, Arab spelling, and the letter Q above all

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Shear Modulus posted:

The Obama administration poisoned the well for what looks like the remainder of said well's lifespan. The 2016 and 2020 primaries then proved that it was no accident, no mistake, but exactly what the party wanted - just in case there was anyone still hanging onto shreds of hope.

Corbeau has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jul 15, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

The famously Kemalist Gülenists?

ah, right. Okay, yeah, Turkey dodged a bullet there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
obama's obsession is his legacy. that legacy is donald trump and the destruction of the democrat party.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Venomous posted:

ah, right. Okay, yeah, Turkey dodged a bullet there.

I admit being disappointed tbh but in hindsight it would have been totally hosed in other ways. It was so exciting to think we might be rid of him

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I think that’s most people.

Obama and the Democrats acting the way they did seems to have been a pivotal moment for politics and culture. The working class dropping out of politics and believing that any politician who promises to improve their material conditions is lying definitely hurt Bernie, for example.

yeah, when i voted for bill clinton it was via the nickelodeon call-in ballot so 2008 obama was my first experience with the democrats

and he really got me good, lmao

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

obama's obsession is his legacy. that legacy is donald trump and the destruction of the democrat party.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the right wing lunatics were right, obama really did destroy america
"how's that hopey changey stuff workin out for ya" is the quote of the century

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doktor Avalanche posted:

the right wing lunatics were right, obama really did destroy america
"how's that hopey changey stuff workin out for ya" is the quote of the century
it was hope, but not for america

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope the destruction of all obama holds dear includes the planned ziggurat dedicated to his greatness.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

i hope the destruction of all obama holds dear includes the planned ziggurat dedicated to his greatness.

:lol:

Obama will be the modern Ozymandias

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd prefer if it isn't built at all. really drag that poo poo out, make him spend years of frustration on this pointless monument to his ego.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Obama really is a world historic figure, but in the opposite way to what he seems to have intended. Even organizing that push to stop Bernie and get Biden across the line, now Obama’s legacy has to weather whatever happens in the next two years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Obama's legacy is partying with Jay-Z and cruising around on richard branson's yacht, and also the yacht he's saving up for and will be able to buy fairly soon.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol i just remembered some 2020 news article about how all the big dem candidates weren't able to get as much money from the big dem donors as they expected because all the donors were saying they were tapped out for the year because obama had already hit them up for his foundation

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Obama's legacy is going to be the same as millard fillmore's. Nobody's going to blame him to the extent that they should, like they do buchanan. Nobody's going to think about him at all.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Lol Obama doesn't believe in or care about anything other than enriching himself and his friends, no way you can destroy that yet

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/flanoystr8arm/s...ingawful.com%2F

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

I love this picture and moment so much. It's such a goofy and playful thing to do that it makes me hate biden even more.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Obama never stopped being a communist and correctly deduced that accelerating its demise was the only way to save this country. Don't you fools see? He's heightening the contradictions!

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

libs i know that haven't cracked yet are huffing the "surely the american people will care about january 6th hearings and abortion, right? right??" copium but even they don't seem to really believe it

my shitlib sister has been breathlessly watching the jan 6 hearings from the start and has called me to talk to me about it because she knows I spend too much time paying attention to politics and was shocked when I was like 'yea I haven't bothered paying attention to that at all because the dems aren't going to do anything about any of it at all' and were insistent that the hearings mattered and would make a difference. when I asked what difference she meant, she said 'raising awareness' lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My dad is following the hearings and he's like "they've got him dead to rights" and I'm like "he's gotten away with everything else. I'll believe it when I see it" and he's like "yeah... :smith:"

NeverTrumper to fully jokerfied pipeline in action

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

christmas boots posted:

My dad is following the hearings and he's like "they've got him dead to rights" and I'm like "he's gotten away with everything else. I'll believe it when I see it" and he's like "yeah... :smith:"

NeverTrumper to fully jokerfied pipeline in action

I've gotten talked to a couple times at work about it and my response is that I'll care about it beyond what I knew already if/when a ruling party leadership figure gets any punishment for anything. The response is that. 100% of the nation knows that the ruling class are unaccountable to anyone about anything.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol it's not a meeting between joe biden and mbs because there are also a bunch of people that work for joe biden and mbs in the room

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I legit don't understand why the libs love term limits. You can't possibly believe both that FDR was your favorite president and also term limits are good, term limits were literally invented to make sure another FDR couldn't happen.

If you honestly believe that our electoral system is democratic, then disallowing the voters to choose who they want is inherently undemocratic. If the system results in popular results, then there is no need to worry about someone being too popular.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I legit don't understand why the libs love term limits. You can't possibly believe both that FDR was your favorite president and also term limits are good, term limits were literally invented to make sure another FDR couldn't happen.

If you honestly believe that our electoral system is democratic, then disallowing the voters to choose who they want is inherently undemocratic. If the system results in popular results, then there is no need to worry about someone being too popular.

imposing term limits was a republican thing for a long long time btw

because they saw that dems tend to stay in office forever instead doing it for a few years then jumping back into the private sector/lobbying like republicans prefer

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

ok now do this one how is this one deceptively cropped

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lots of deceptive cropping going on inside KSA embassies.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Bin Salman has stated that he grew up playing video games.[277]

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

papa horny michael posted:

Bin Salman has stated that he grew up playing video games.[277]

he went out and hired a bunch of American PR firms to rehab his image after the kashogghi killing

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Justus posted:

He is so god drat old.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Justus posted:

This is Tom Cruise in the Jon Voight mask from Mission:Impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

kalensc posted:

This is Tom Cruise in the Jon Voight mask from Mission:Impossible
That’s Lo Pan before he gets married and becomes human again.