Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Relyssa posted:

I've also recently come to love T Eve, spamming the straw so they don't all get popped immediately. She's slow to start but really fun when she gets properly going.

At first I was like "poo poo I hate her it's like Jacob & Esau 2.0 trying to coral all these idiot bloodlings"

then I clicked with how to use her and now tainted Eve is a favorite.

...I wish that would have also happened with Jacob & Esau. Nope they're still a chore that I despise. Going for mega mushroom now that I've murdered Greedier mode, and I'm gonna be so happy when I'm finally 100% done with these losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

J&E are horrible to play, which is why I installed a variety of mods that are blatant cheating that make it not a horrendous chore to play. The main one being they can't be separated and just stick together all the time. T Esau is fun as hell, though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

BoI is the only game since Morrowind I haven't just decided to quit when I ran into something annoying enough to mod out. I'm running item descriptions, no curses, and no boss rush/hush timers.

I've killed Hush a couple times now and it's kinda confusing where to go next. I'm sure I'll figure it out but it's annoying there's no simple "this and then this and then this" flow chart or something that I can find. I gotta go searching through the wiki and looking for bosses I haven't killed yet and then see what floor they are on and then what floor leads into that floor and zzz. I mean there's ways to easily know what I'm supposed to do, but it's not made clear how.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 16, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Beating Hush opens the path to three floors: Cathedral, Dark Room, and The Void. The first two are the floors that open after finishing Womb II, the ones you passed up when you chose to go to the Hush floor. So you can get back on the same track you were on before. The Void is a third track, and the final floor of that path.

Beating Hush is not the only way to get to The Void, but it is the only guaranteed way. Every boss starting with Mom has a chance of spawning a Void portal in addition to the normal paths upon defeat. The chances increase as the bosses get harder, starting with a 5% chance after beating Mom and culminating in a 50% chance after defeating Mega Satan. Hush is the only boss that guarantees a Void portal for beating it, so if you really want to go to the Void you’ll want to just ignore all that other stuff and pretend that the only way to get there is to defeat Hush. There are unlockable items for beating the final boss of the Void with each character.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

What about Mother and The Beast?

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012

Phigs posted:

The path to those is unlocked after beating Hush three times. You'll see new doors in boss rooms.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phigs posted:

they are separate branches of the game which diverge around the end of depths if you meet certain requirements and have unlocked them. honestly, i would focus mostly on chest and dark room at first - these are the "classic isaac" experiences and have a lot of core unlocks attached to them - and then branch out into the repentance content when you're feeling bored with the main route

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ah good idea, I have a bunch of characters unlocked who haven't killed much of any bosses.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
An enormous amount of unlocks are tied to beating each boss with each character. And I suggest completing them on hard mode if you actually want all the unlocks. The Repentance characters themselves have a ton of fun items to unlock that really spice up the games too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah specifically the Mega Satan clears. Once you feel comfortable finishing the Mega Satan route it's worth clearing it with some alt characters, you get a lot of fun new wrinkles added to the game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah specifically the Mega Satan clears. Once you feel comfortable finishing the Mega Satan route it's worth clearing it with some alt characters, you get a lot of fun new wrinkles added to the game.

Yeah, The Chest -> Mega Satan is the best first route to go for with a new character because the Tainted ones open up new game mechanics like the crane machine or the confessional booth and the chest gives you a much better power spike than the dark room.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, The Chest -> Mega Satan is the best first route to go for with a new character because the Tainted ones open up new game mechanics like the crane machine or the confessional booth and the chest gives you a much better power spike than the dark room.

I don't think the person asking for progression advice even has the alt-paths unlocked yet, so these goals are a little ways off. Beating Mega Satan for the first time will unlock a new character but other than that he will not unlock anything for the initial pool of characters. Well, co-op babies, but those are even more pointless now that there's real co-op.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

goferchan posted:

I don't think the person asking for progression advice even has the alt-paths unlocked yet, so these goals are a little ways off. Beating Mega Satan for the first time will unlock a new character but other than that he will not unlock anything for the initial pool of characters. Well, co-op babies, but those are even more pointless now that there's real co-op.

Well I mention it because it's pretty easy to, for example, clear all the non-tainted characters post-its before even touching the alt characters. It's worth rushing a tainted character or two just to get some more variety for the rest of your runs.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah like you can rush straight for rock bottom and then that way you get the benefit of it never showing up for the rest of your runs while you unlock other stuff.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

True co-op through Steam remote play is still fun as hell, but if both players are using controllers, you must not quit the run to take a break. Once you restart, player 2's character uses keyboard controls and the controller spawns in a co-op baby or a third character in the starting room.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Turns out Tainted Jacob's Birthright does have an actual upside. Anima Sola's recharge time gets lowered from 15 to 10 seconds, and enemies, not just Dark Esau and Darker Esau, get chained up for 6.67 seconds instead of 5, which doubles the uptime on chaining enemies from 1/3 to 2/3. Plays very nicely with 9-Volt as well. And for the record, this has been in since the patch that updated Birthright for everyone. It's just been missed until recently.

Car Battery is weird with Birthright though. If the only things in the room are the Dark Esaus, it works as expected. Both of them get chained twice, lasting for twice the duration. But if there are enemies in the room, it just chains 1 extra enemy along with the Esaus, all of which are chained for the normal duration.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 19, 2022

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Both Dark Esau will only attack simultaneously too. Honestly it's a huge upgrade in damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ButterSkeleton posted:

Both Dark Esau will only attack simultaneously too. Honestly it's a huge upgrade in damage.

Since the cooldown is lowered from 15 to 10 seconds and you get 2 Esaus, you actually triple Dark Esau's DPS if you use Anima Sola ASAP offensively whenever possible, not double like previously thought. (4 launches per minute up to 12) It does make things more unforgiving, but you do get more control over the Dark Esaus. Of course whether if you want to take it is up to you, but it's not as risky as previously thought.

Of course if you have 9-Volt, a bunch of the risk is eliminated since the cooldowns fully stack, and you can basically chain the Esaus whenever you want.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Isaac is definitely a game that tests patience. Had a streak of about -40 that I just broke trying to do Mega Satan / Dark Room on Tainted Jacob. Think only one death was due to hearts running out with every other single one being after Dark Esau had touched me. Still got Beast & Greedier to go with him. Same with Tainted Keeper.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
After that I managed to wrap up Tainted Jacob with a couple of great runs.

On to Tainted Forgotten where the whole go fetch your body thing gets a bit tedious. Imagine my delight when I got Tech and had a laser that worked beautifully. Until I somehow threw the body through the wall of a crawl space into I am Error on Depths 2 so no polaroid/negative and my Mega Satan/Delirium run ended on cathedral.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

There was one time I had a gold pill that teleported me to an I am error room that could've skipped the polaroid/negative to a dead run, but luckily the golden pill gave me another teleport before it was fully consumed.

Isaac is a weird, weird game.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ButterSkeleton posted:

There was one time I had a gold pill that teleported me to an I am error room that could've skipped the polaroid/negative to a dead run, but luckily the golden pill gave me another teleport before it was fully consumed.

Isaac is a weird, weird game.

Such a weird game. And when runs go right things just get silly. Tainted Eve Greedier, Magic Mushroom + Sacred Heart + Crown + Loki + Gello and some other stuff. 4 tears but 70 damage. Had a few soul clots just cos but Greed & Ultra Greed melted so quickly.

12/17 tainted postits wrapped up.

Tainted Laz Greedier not done and was horrible when I tried it for a couple of hours - mediocre characters made even worse when they used up part of the wave timer to swap.

Never even played Tainted Cain or Tainted ??? so need to work out their mechanics.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Tainted Cain is incredibly tedious but also crazy good. That part of your brain that tingles with all the min/maxing of resources in Isaac gets pushed to the brink, and that's assuming you're using External Item Descriptions to make it way easier. (This is the one case where using that mod is borderline cheating, but I don't see how you could play the character any other way.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Brosnan posted:

Tainted Cain is incredibly tedious but also crazy good. That part of your brain that tingles with all the min/maxing of resources in Isaac gets pushed to the brink, and that's assuming you're using External Item Descriptions to make it way easier. (This is the one case where using that mod is borderline cheating, but I don't see how you could play the character any other way.)
You just play with what you roll like other characters. Try it without the item descriptions mod some time you might be pleasantly surprised.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brosnan posted:

I have a decent idea of what the resource quality levels are, so I just make sure the bag only has good poo poo in it and once I've got 6 or 7, I go to platinumgod and plug in the seed and look up what I can do with what I have.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

You just play with what you roll like other characters. Try it without the item descriptions mod some time you might be pleasantly surprised.
This makes sense actually, though I'm sure it would've made it a lot more annoying getting the big boss marks.

PostNouveau posted:

I have a decent idea of what the resource quality levels are, so I just make sure the bag only has good poo poo in it and once I've got 6 or 7, I go to platinumgod and plug in the seed and look up what I can do with what I have.

This would be my instinct but it just sorta feels like it's most of the way to using EID but with extra steps and slightly more randomness.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Brosnan posted:

On a Switch so no mods like that unfortunately. The recipes confused me a bit when I had a brief look. I assume it'll make sense when I play it. Same way tainted ??? seems confusing with the whole bomb thing.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Sad Panda posted:

On a Switch so no mods like that unfortunately. The recipes confused me a bit when I had a brief look. I assume it'll make sense when I play it. Same way tainted ??? seems confusing with the whole bomb thing.

Being on Switch means you can try this page: https://wchill.github.io/bindingofisaac/#switch/v1.7

Been playing this a lot lately. This is my... third rebirth save file? I played a while on PS4, started a new file on Switch when that dropped with Afterbirth+, and started over once more on my Steam Deck with Repentance once that arrived. EID is incredible, that and Encyclopedia mean I don't play with PlatinumGod open all the time and I rarely have to search for a wiki page on what I want to know.

I unlocked The Lost for the first time, but I'm only so-so at the game so not a lot of those runs get finished. Actually, I've only completed one run as The Lost; I was just working to unlock all the Tainted characters so going for the ascension each time, and once I managed to get a dead cat and a bunch of nice stuff like tech X. Anyway the result is that the only character I've beaten the Beast with is The Lost, somehow.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Maaaaan rock bottom doesn't interact with false phd, you don't get a stat down but you also don't get the dmg up. Lame!

Ooh it does interact with star of Beth though :getin:

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 5, 2022

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Maaaaan rock bottom doesn't interact with false phd, you don't get a stat down but you also don't get the dmg up. Lame!

Ooh it does interact with star of Beth though :getin:

you probably messed up the order cause it does

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I love the idea of rock bottom, but every time I get it I never get any insane interactions.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly for how rare it is (Q3 Secret Room Item) it really should prevent stat drops instead of the weird "locking stats at their best value" so poo poo like taking Polyphemus too early doesn't screw you of brokeness.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

I think rock bottom works that way because it remembers your "true stats" under your "effective stats" (the ones on your screen).

All stat changes from items picked up/used are applied to your (now hidden) true stats, but will only transfer to your effective stats if they are now higher.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ButterSkeleton posted:

I think rock bottom works that way because it remembers your "true stats" under your "effective stats" (the ones on your screen).

All stat changes from items picked up/used are applied to your (now hidden) true stats, but will only transfer to your effective stats if they are now higher.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, instead of doing that it should just ignore stat downs so you can grab Rock Bottom + Soy Milk + Polyphemus/Eve's Mascara and win.

I don't think a 3 item break, one being a Secret item that needs to be picked up first would be that broken given Echo Chamber exists even after the nerf.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The only time I ever got Rock Bottom, the next item I got was Camo Undies and it didn’t register another stat up for the rest of the run.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ButterSkeleton posted:

It's also probably done that way for logistical reasons as well, as in some cases you'd be able to stack the same bonus repeatedly if it wasn't tracking your true stats.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a cool mod that's the top thing in the workshop right now. Arcade cabinets that give you a minigame for 5 cents with an item if you win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp5Xf7xurk8

I don't really do the arcades, so this is a welcome addition.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kinda trying to mix up getting marks done for lovely hard chars with easier fun chars so that it doesn't feel like all the slog is at the end. So uh, Tainted Judas was quick and fun, but now I'm doing Tainted Lost and it is not.

Does he have any unlocks that are worth going for first to make the rest of his runs easier?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Not really. He’s not like Keeper. What you see is what you get.

You can unlock the Lost soulstone to turn him into regular Lost for a room, but relying on that is a no go since those are just runes basically.

You actually might want to save Mega Satan for last. That unlock can be a downgrade in some cases since it unlocks Hainted Chests. (They have a 25% chance to replace spiked chests, but not mimic chests.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You gotta make the most of his innate dmg multiplier and the fact he gets no lovely boss items, so do basement 2 into downpour 2 into caves 2 into mines 2 etc for the boss challenge rooms
Remember the best defense in isaac is a stupidly good offense