Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Hughette was the MVP of the following battle, the foiled red wedding-esque party in wine country. Took me two tries, ran away minutes into the first attempt after realizing that no individual group od 2-3 could handle their portion of enemies on their own, and I needed to consolidate as quickly as possible. Hughette blinded half the map while Corinton mopped up with his "delete a single unit with ice magic" spell, with Julio keeping him firing and everyone else walling up in a corner to keep Roland alive long enough for the cavalry to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hughette and Anna always came through as my 'oh poo poo' backups.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
So far Hughette and Piccoletta have been my key players. Healing is pretty slow and so damage mitigation has been essential to getting through tougher battles, and in that regard Blind Arrow and Decoy put in the work.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ace Transmuter posted:

Hughette was the MVP of the following battle, the foiled red wedding-esque party in wine country. Took me two tries, ran away minutes into the first attempt after realizing that no individual group od 2-3 could handle their portion of enemies on their own, and I needed to consolidate as quickly as possible. Hughette blinded half the map while Corinton mopped up with his "delete a single unit with ice magic" spell, with Julio keeping him firing and everyone else walling up in a corner to keep Roland alive long enough for the cavalry to show up.

Hughette saved me my first playthrough on the map that has a cliff where you start at the bottom surrounded by enemies coming from above. Everyone else died but she was able to kite the last few enemies around the map until I won. I think she was 4 levels higher than everyone else after.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Man I wish going to Wolfort in Chapter 15 wasn't a secret requirement because I did it on my first playthrough and now I miss out on a recruit because I have to do it again for my ng+ run :negative:

After you finish ng+ there should really be a chapter select option that lets you go to any chapter you've already done and choose different options or whatever.

On Piccoletta: Besides Decoy's amazing utility, she requires a ton of money for offensive item stock but her throw range is ridiculous. Never use Ball Toss(unless you're securing a kill or something), Pico's goal is to get back to 3TP ASAP for another Decoy. Copycat has surprising utility(nabbing spells from enemy healers is fun if you can pull it off) and while using the copied skill eats TP the copying itself does not.

Also Lionel is great. Ruffle Feathers is all he has for a long time but it's really all he needs. He can call some cliff-camping mage a stupid rear end in a top hat and that mage will immediately run off to not bother you for 2 turns. I've never seen Endless Speech fail to hit at least 1 of it's effects, and his ultimate skill is just Milo's But Better. Even when the mages are dealt with he can just sit behind/next to your tank yelling at people and clogging up the killzone so the enemies just shuffle amongst themselves and don't accomplish anything.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 15, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yinlock posted:

Man I wish going to Wolfort in Chapter 15 wasn't a secret requirement because I did it on my first playthrough and now I miss out on a recruit because I have to do it again for my ng+ run :negative:

I still don't get why that is, like the others have a pretty clear impact in having Svarog/Jeralt/the flame traps to call on, but what does this add? I'd assumed it was because Milo plays a role, but I don't think she ever comes up on the fourth route. Is it solely because Symon says something about the secret power of the Scales that Benny doesn't bother passing on in his cliff notes if you go somewhere else?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I still don't get why that is, like the others have a pretty clear impact in having Svarog/Jeralt/the flame traps to call on, but what does this add? I'd assumed it was because Milo plays a role, but I don't think she ever comes up on the fourth route. Is it solely because Symon says something about the secret power of the Scales that Benny doesn't bother passing on in his cliff notes if you go somewhere else?

It’s a pretty vague one but it’s because Symon tells Serenoa to forge his own path. Serenoa mentions it during the “pick the right options” scene on the golden route. It’s a pretty wobbly justification but yeah it’s basically just that his father's last words inspired him.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I still think it is hilarious that, of the people I've checked with about that choice, all three chose to return to the village. Two of them said it was a much more pressing matter than going home to see your dad WHO HAS BEEN IN A COMA THE ENTIRE GAME. Zero even considered option 3 (and neither did I). I only chose it because, well, I wanted Milo, and the game basically told me that is what would happen if I chose that path.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Prowler posted:

I still think it is hilarious that, of the people I've checked with about that choice, all three chose to return to the village. Two of them said it was a much more pressing matter than going home to see your dad WHO HAS BEEN IN A COMA THE ENTIRE GAME. Zero even considered option 3 (and neither did I). I only chose it because, well, I wanted Milo, and the game basically told me that is what would happen if I chose that path.

I think it makes sense the way the game presents it. The choice presented is to help Roland with an investigation, save the Roselle village from an apparently overwhelming bandit attack, or go say hi to Dad. If the game made it clear his health was even worse and he was still not long for this world, it might feel more pressing to go see him. As it is, the game really presents the Roselle as needing help urgently. And it turns out if you let Frederica handle it on her own it turns out fine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wish they had a thing where they checked how many people made each decision their first time like some games (persona) do, I would be fascinated to see how many people ended up with each ending

(I have a theory that American players are more likely to end up on Frederica’s path because we learned about slavery in school and thus have more human perspective on it)

Edit:

Harrow posted:

I think it makes sense the way the game presents it. The choice presented is to help Roland with an investigation, save the Roselle village from an apparently overwhelming bandit attack, or go say hi to Dad. If the game made it clear his health was even worse and he was still not long for this world, it might feel more pressing to go see him. As it is, the game really presents the Roselle as needing help urgently. And it turns out if you let Frederica handle it on her own it turns out fine.

I actually assumed that he would die but also I would have been furious if something had happened to Frederica or the Rozelle and thought he would have understood. The wife guy apple does not fall far from the wife guy tree.

Old men with good hearts and bad health do not get to live through these sorts of stories.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 16, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland's investigation always felt the most urgent of the 3 to me. Those monarchist guys are real fucks and really need to be dealt with as soon as possible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, Roland straight up tells you to skedaddle so he can do something on his own, and you can talk to your dad tomorrow, but Trish and Travis are at the Roselle village right now and may cause trouble and leave before you get there if you dawdle. Like rationally you probably realize the options are about equivalent, and that your father may not be awake by tomorrow and that you'll miss out on recruiting Milo, but as it's framed, that path is a bit more urgent than the others.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'd go to war for Frederica Aesfrost

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also yes, my first playthrough I wound op going with whatever option Frederica supported and it never steered me wrong

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also yes, my first playthrough I wound op going with whatever option Frederica supported and it never steered me wrong

:agreed:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

I'd go to war for Frederica Aesfrost

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the roselle are my friends

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, Roland straight up tells you to skedaddle so he can do something on his own, and you can talk to your dad tomorrow, but Trish and Travis are at the Roselle village right now and may cause trouble and leave before you get there if you dawdle. Like rationally you probably realize the options are about equivalent, and that your father may not be awake by tomorrow and that you'll miss out on recruiting Milo, but as it's framed, that path is a bit more urgent than the others.

What's kind of fun about this is that Frederica's path in that chapter is the only one where nothing is lost if you don't go with her. If you don't go with Roland, it seems to be implied that it went even worse, and if you don't go with Benedict, Serenoa misses out on his last chance to speak to his father. If you don't go with Frederica, everything turns out fine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think she says during the deliberation that she'd be able to handle it even if Serenoa didn't come with. And she's absolutely right.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, you don't get to recruit Trish, but in retrospect that scans. Frederica says she'll be totally fine and can handle it on her own, and unlike Roland, she's not wrong.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Frederica is like the most competent person in the whole game lol she rules

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Barreft posted:

Frederica is like the most competent person in the whole game lol she rules

Spoilers for an ending route: Girl shaves her hair and leads an underground resistance if you side with Hyzante, gently caress yeah she rules

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, you don't get to recruit Trish, but in retrospect that scans. Frederica says she'll be totally fine and can handle it on her own, and unlike Roland, she's not wrong.

Tbf it's said she'll be bringing soldiers with her, so it's Frederica + wolfort grunts + some roselle units probably vs some generic bandits and Trish, not much of a fight there.

I was spoiled on the GR conditions so I did those on my first run(before getting owned by it and doing an ng+ to buff up a bit more, womp womp), but tbf the only one I wouldn't have done naturally is smuggling the salt, because we get shown Baldy McSlaver just fuckin oppressing the utter poo poo out of some slaves just before that decision I also generally went with Frederica's choices.

Though it's funny how Benedict always seens to think I would be super on-board with terrible strategies. Blowing up the dam is loving idiotic why did you assume that I would even entertain that idea

Out of curiosity, does Frederica ever have a Ultility choice? I noticed how while Roland and Benedict bounce a around a bit Frederica never even touches Utility. Girl has principles.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 16, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I was spoiled on the GR conditions so I did those on my first run(before getting owned by it and doing an ng+ to buff up a bit more, womp womp), but tbf the only one I wouldn't have done naturally is smuggling the salt, because we get shown hyzante just fuckin oppressing the utter poo poo out of some slaves just before that decision

That one is the example I think of where the golden route isn't about doing "the right thing" every time, which is probably why it's so hard to find if you're trying to do it unspoiled. The golden route happens because Serenoa has managed to put Wolffort in a position where they have resources and allies they can call on, and sometimes the decisions that allowed that to happen--like smuggling salt--might not at first appear to be the ones that would do that. Your best hint on smuggling salt is that, if you go along with it, you can find out who's buying it in Aesfrost, but that's really all you have to go on.

I think it's kind of interesting and it's one reason I enjoy the golden route. It's not the "be the best, most moral Serenoa you can be" route. It's the "be the most prepared Serenoa you can be" route.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yinlock posted:

Out of curiosity, does Frederica ever have a Ultility choice? I noticed how while Roland and Benedict bounce a around a bit Frederica never even touches Utility. Girl has principles.

She does not, no. Red and green across the board. Even on the votes that branch off from other utility choices, she will never vote yellow on her own. I haven't kept track of every character, but Benny's choice on chapter 15 is the morality one, and Roland straight up suggests a couple freedom choices.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

That one is the example I think of where the golden route isn't about doing "the right thing" every time, which is probably why it's so hard to find if you're trying to do it unspoiled. The golden route happens because Serenoa has managed to put Wolffort in a position where they have resources and allies they can call on, and sometimes the decisions that allowed that to happen--like smuggling salt--might not at first appear to be the ones that would do that. Your best hint on smuggling salt is that, if you go along with it, you can find out who's buying it in Aesfrost, but that's really all you have to go on.

Also right before you get that choice the game reminds you that Svarog exists and wants to know who killed his son.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

poo poo now i want to play again.

I never did do golden...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

I think it's kind of interesting and it's one reason I enjoy the golden route. It's not the "be the best, most moral Serenoa you can be" route. It's the "be the most prepared Serenoa you can be" route.

That's definitely part of it, but I'm of the school that the key element is that you have to be a Serenoa who can rally all the factions behind one cause. That means having a Wolffort at full capacity and able to stand up to any enemy for Benedict, having an ally in Aesfrost who is not Gustadolph for Roland, having the Roselle's back even against insurmountable odds for Frederica, and having the conviction to blaze your own path for Serenoa. Four decision points, one for each cardinal character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did the smuggling route first off because someone brings up how the Seven will probably believe Sorsley over us considering his position and how we don't have any real evidence. I figured we'd pick up some concrete evidence via doing the run once and then we'd be able to curry favor Hyzante.

Not really what ended up happening in that route though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's definitely part of it, but I'm of the school that the key element is that you have to be a Serenoa who can rally all the factions behind one cause. That means having a Wolffort at full capacity and able to stand up to any enemy for Benedict, having an ally in Aesfrost who is not Gustadolph for Roland, having the Roselle's back even against insurmountable odds for Frederica, and having the conviction to blaze your own path for Serenoa. Four decision points, one for each cardinal character.

Ah, putting it that way makes a lot of sense, yeah.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I did the smuggling route first off because someone brings up how the Seven will probably believe Sorsley over us considering his position and how we don't have any real evidence. I figured we'd pick up some concrete evidence via doing the run once and then we'd be able to curry favor Hyzante.

Not really what ended up happening in that route though.

Yeah I actually wanted to do the smuggling route my first time through because trying to rat out Sorsley without evidence seemed like an insane plan. I didn't have the conviction to sway people, though, so that was the one time I couldn't swing a vote.

Barreft posted:

poo poo now i want to play again.

I never did do golden...

It's fun and I really like its last few battles and conclusion. My hard mode golden route run was the last run I did and it was a great capstone.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Ah, putting it that way makes a lot of sense, yeah.

Yeah I actually wanted to do the smuggling route my first time through because trying to rat out Sorsley without evidence seemed like an insane plan. I didn't have the conviction to sway people, though, so that was the one time I couldn't swing a vote.

It's fun and I really like its last few battles and conclusion. My hard mode golden route run was the last run I did and it was a great capstone.

Looks like I already had a save where I'm at killing Sorsley in golden route. just did the battle before it now, remembered how much i missed this game. off to kill sorsley at 11pm lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did the smuggling route first because I VERY much wanted to get in touch with Svarog and was extremely pleased when it became clear that that would be a key element in turning things to our advantage in the final route.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Important addendum to Lionel's ultimate: while incredibly powerful, it is important to make absolutely sure you have the money to use it and have not spent it all on wandering merchant materials right before a major battle like a complete loving idiot

:negative:

(GR)Also whoever's idea it was to give exharme's forces 3 healers can go gently caress themselves. I got through it trapless by the skin of my teeth but boy did they ever drag it out. Exharme himself ate poo poo before the 3rd wave even spawned, good work buddy.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Honestly if you're looking at tiers.

(Minor character spoilers)

New Game

I must be doing something wrong because I haven’t found much use for Medina and Julio

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sponges posted:

I must be doing something wrong because I haven’t found much use for Medina and Julio

Medina will eventually learn TP Physick, which turns her from "bad healer" to "busted as hell". TP Physick gives a free TP to anyone she heals with an item, including Ranged pellets which can heal 5 people at once. 5 TP for the price of 0TP is ridiculous(and with 3TP she can double it). She can also give someone a free turn for 1 TP less than Benedict at the cost of an item.

Julio needs his 2nd-tier weapon upgrade to reduce the cost of Moment of Truth to 1 to get going, at which point he can easily bolster the frontline's resources or hang around the mages and turn them into terrifying death machines. He's also a solid fighter and can do respectable damage against even armored units thanks to a melee magical skill he gets later.

I wouldn't follow someone else's Tier List too closely though(i'm already disgusted by Hughette not having her own tier past S that's just "Hughette"). Every character is good. Except Giovanna.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 16, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Medina and Julio are busted because they eventually learn skills that can totally wreck the battle economy by giving out just far too much TP.

I wouldn't give that tier list too much credit, but it has correctly identified those two as OP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wouldn't put Medina in S tier for new game. You get her pretty early and she doesn't get her best abilities until quite late. Plus money is short on your first playthrough, so using her slows down getting your other characters upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On NG+, when you have a huge supply of Ranged HP Pellets and Medina has TP Physick, she breaks the game wide open. On NG she’s a solid healer who can give people a little extra TP late in the game; on NG+ she is fully busted.