Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished watching Day of the Dead (1985) as well and never thought I'd end up rooting for a zombie, who ended up being more of a human than loving Rhodes. gently caress YEAH BUB BEST ZOMBIE BOY. Wanna see how the next movies build on this capability for intelligence that they seem to have. The first movie showed some basic tool usage, but this one went further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

The Conversation Hackman playing against type and he nailed it. His character is such an awkward poorly socialized paranoid individual it's hard to imagine the same man played Popeye Doyle. Even in Night Moves where he's playing in a similar space, he comes off as this masculine powerful force who might gently caress up but is also a force of change who can impact his environment. In this film he's far more competent, but utterly impotent. He manages to impact nothing in the plot except losing his only friends and his girlfriend. He doesn't prevent the murder, he doesn't even call the police. He sits in a room and just listens.

To me that was really driven home when he lets the party into his fenced off recording room! He's one of the best at the technical aspect, building the recording for what 3-4 different mics, and then he's there, giving the game away to the only other people who'd be interested or care about what he's heard. It's fascinating, and one I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. Plus seeing the offices at Embarcadero Center in SF is just great.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Land of the Dead. Why didn't Cholo just shoot Kaufmann after he dealt with the guard in this stairs? It didn't seem like there was anyone else in the room. If the had killed Kaufmann right there it would have saved everyone the trouble. Also holy gently caress that zombie leader is pretty loving smart. Him using the gasoline to explode the car was very deliberate, the even left the garage to get the fire. IT'S THE RISE OF PROLETARIAT!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Highlander II doesn't deserve 0% on rotten tomatoes it's not that bad
i mean it's pretty bad but

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Diary of the Dead. What's up with found footage films and the person who is recording being an absolutely insufferable twat? It's so loving weird. The professor was the best character imo, but the second best was the mute Amish old man who wrote on a mini chalkboard, who also blew up some zombies with dynamite and then wrote "hi" afterwards, of course.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Night of the Hunter I heard good things about it, but the Plex cover art looked like the "Trade Offer Incoming" man so I kept avoiding clicking.

Glad I finally said gently caress it though, Mitchum was pulling an all time performance as this murderous zealot solely driven by greed but cloaked in the robes of Christianity. And Gish as a contrast with her own dutiful devotion, the final scene with them together has real High Noon vibes in the innocent woman being forced to raise a weapon to defend someone else. I can't say the Kid's performances were great, but the scene with the Boy desperately attempting to give the money to the Preach were heartbreaking. They really just wanted to have a home and be left alone. The finale of the crowd forming a lynchmob in complete defiance of the actual wishes of the victim, is quite the damning critique of the American populace, now and then. Laughton not getting to direct another film after this is a drat shame, it's got some real Citizen Kane vibes with how it uses light and shadow, but also how unorthodox some of the shots are in it. It's the earliest movie I've seen that would pull something like the scene with the body in the water, or the crane shot in the opening.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finished watching Survival of the Dead and all of the Living Dead films! Not sure if I'm going to watch the remakes, anyone know if they're good? As for this movie, I liked the characters in this one the most out of all the films, O' Flynn could have been the only character in the movie and he could have carried the whole thing easily. The last shot in the movie was great and kinda of hilarious too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Night of the Living Dead remake is the only film Tom Savini ever directed and it's pretty by the numbers other than updating some of the characters and the gore effects. The Dawn remake was written by James Gunn and directed by Zack Snyder back in 2004 so it's actually a lot of fun, just be ready for something much more like an action movie. I feel like there are two Day of the Dead 2s and one remake? All of which exist because of the weird rights hell that most of his early Dead films are trapped within. Same reason there are a bunch of "NEW EXTENDED EDITIONS" of Night of the Living Dead that are anything from outtakes to new footage filmed anywhere from the early 90s to five minutes ago.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Night of the Living Dead remake is the only film Tom Savini ever directed and it's pretty by the numbers other than updating some of the characters and the gore effects. The Dawn remake was written by James Gunn and directed by Zack Snyder back in 2004 so it's actually a lot of fun, just be ready for something much more like an action movie. I feel like there are two Day of the Dead 2s and one remake? All of which exist because of the weird rights hell that most of his early Dead films are trapped within. Same reason there are a bunch of "NEW EXTENDED EDITIONS" of Night of the Living Dead that are anything from outtakes to new footage filmed anywhere from the early 90s to five minutes ago.

I kinda wanna see a Snyder take on Dawn, might watch it later tonight.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Finished watching Survival of the Dead and all of the Living Dead films! Not sure if I'm going to watch the remakes, anyone know if they're good? As for this movie, I liked the characters in this one the most out of all the films, O' Flynn could have been the only character in the movie and he could have carried the whole thing easily. The last shot in the movie was great and kinda of hilarious too.

the Snyder Dawn of The Dead is much different then the original but still pretty good. the opening scene alone is possibly the best "day zero" portrayal of a zombie infection ever made

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I prefer the remake but I feel like that's a controversial opinion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Me and my buddy really liked it when we were kids.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I remember liking it a lot when it came out

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Dawn of the Dead (2004) OH poo poo THEY RUN NOW. Which is funny cause I was already planning on watching 28 Days Later afterwards and I know it has runners as well. The introduction is very strong, there should be more zombie movies focused on that early chaos because there's so much poo poo happening at the same time. Also it was really cool that they got Ken Foree as a cameo and got to say the iconic "when there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth" line again. I've actually seen a small part of this movie when I was younger but I didn't know it was this movie. When I saw the guy in the other building I remembered that they would try to help him out, and then the dog showed up and I remembered the dog going past the zombies without any of them attacking it. CJ's character progression from rear end in a top hat to one of the good guys was very satisfying to watch. Don't get why he suddenly decided to stay in the BANG DEATH BUS near the end, I knew he was going to die because DRAMA but it felt contrived. I was surprised to see that Kenneth didn't turn into a zombie since he fell in the fountain where Ana washed herself, I thought he was going to get infected for sure. The action was great imo, it gets really intense at some points, like near the end where there's SO loving MANY OF THEM YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE ROAD. The movie was awesome! Really different from the original but very good too. Also I did not expect to hear a cover of Down with the Sickness like that, it works really well wth

:lmao: the ending it was all for nothing

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
28 Days Later has some loving beautiful shots of completely deserted areas and cities which I love, it's so haunting but pretty at the same time. It's shocking how few infected there are in major cities, but even with the relatively few that show up they are very dangerous because they are completely manic. The actors really nailed their twitchiness and erratic behavior. Goddamn Cilian Murphy was almost like an infected in the end, holy poo poo he was vicious. Those fuckers deserved it though. It's his second role ever apparently!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finished L'eclisse last night and it was a hell of a movie, those opening moments where the relationship is done, but neither of them can bring themselves to leave because then it'll be done done is perfectly crafted. From the opening shots of the film with the books stacked neatly, their spines broken like batmans, Monica Vitti walking around playing with all the knick knacks, you feel that their both just bored, she doesn't hate him, there was no huge fight, she just doesn't want to be with him anymore. It's quite well done, the Stock market signifying both the ebb and flow of romance, and the general malaise of the new Italy is quite the juxtaposition. Really I'm just glad I liked it, Italian Cinema just hasn't really hit me the same way French cinema has and I think that's a shame.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Caught Minority Report on television. It was pretty laughable when I saw it in the theater, but on rewatch there's one hilarious scene where Tom Cruise is at a swimming pool yelling "Shawn! Shawwwwwn!" and it reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some recent watches

Tag - Did Sion Sono invent the "do improbable things to dimension shift" plot device from EEAAO? This one doesn't quite live up to the sum of it's parts, with each sequence basically being a surreal short film in it's own right. Fun watch but I don't think I'll remember it. 7/10

The Nut Job - Watched this with my nephew. The best part of this stinker was the Gangam Style dance sequence over the credits, which had nothing to do with the actual movie. 3/10

Happy Together - Better than Chungking Express but not quite as sublime as ITMFL. Stunning looking movie with a great emotional throughline, though I felt it became a little muddled in the middle, for me. 9/10

RRR - death to britain 8/10

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Arena (1989) Who the gently caress bankrolled all those prosthetics and sets? That could not have been cheap! That said this is a boxing movie in space, it might even be a rip off of one of the Rocky sequels I don't know. Kinda wish there was more time to develop characters beyond brief archetypes, maybe if this was a TV series instead? Still an enjoyable turn your brain off scifi sports b movie but probably too by the numbers for an MST3K-ing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Rules of the Game I can see why people talk so highly of it. Rare to find a movie that's so infused with dramatic tension but also light and funny. The whole scenario is just a complete tragedy and farce, and by the time you get to the Chateau the movie is just running flat out full steam ahead into a fifty car pile up. And all this for the sake of propriety, the social mores destroyed everyone's chance at happiness, murdered a man, and damned them all to their vacuous parties while the whole world was going to poo poo. I just feel sorry for all of them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Okay I watched another on this random DVD compilation of b movie scifi, this time its Eliminators. An android, lady scientist, ninja, and jungle river guide all go to kick the rear end of an evil scientist hiding in the Mexican jungle before he can complete his evil time travel plan. This is the correct level of MST3K stupid, lmao.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Arena (1989) Who the gently caress bankrolled all those prosthetics and sets? That could not have been cheap! That said this is a boxing movie in space, it might even be a rip off of one of the Rocky sequels I don't know. Kinda wish there was more time to develop characters beyond brief archetypes, maybe if this was a TV series instead? Still an enjoyable turn your brain off scifi sports b movie but probably too by the numbers for an MST3K-ing.

TBF a lot of the props and decorations are from other sci fi movies and shows.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

TBF a lot of the props and decorations are from other sci fi movies and shows.

A lot of the cast is too! :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I bow to you guy's superior science fiction knowledge. I enjoy goofy b tier scifi because the goofiness make it lighter and more fun to watch, but clearly I haven't seen enough to know all the prop and actor recycling, or who needed a job after appearing on an a list series etc. Might keep on a roll with this and decide between watching Megaforce or Innerspace for Sunday. (I'm cleaning out DVDs I've never gotten around to watching).

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

"The Return of Captain Invincible."

An odd film, it treats the villain and titular superhero fairly seriously, and it's shot in a very flat, matter of fact way. Starts with a "News on the March" fake newsreel and it struck me how much better Welles did this in Citizen Kane 40 years earlier. You get to see Captain Invincible's literal conception, an attack by vacuum cleaners that threaten to suffocate the heroes by sucking all the air out of the room, songs written by Richard O'brien, this is a weirdly silly and very horny movie.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Scuffy_1989 posted:

"The Return of Captain Invincible."

An odd film, it treats the villain and titular superhero fairly seriously, and it's shot in a very flat, matter of fact way. Starts with a "News on the March" fake newsreel and it struck me how much better Welles did this in Citizen Kane 40 years earlier. You get to see Captain Invincible's literal conception, an attack by vacuum cleaners that threaten to suffocate the heroes by sucking all the air out of the room, songs written by Richard O'brien, this is a weirdly silly and very horny movie.

It is, but at the same time it's always felt like it was ahead of the game when it comes to superhero movies, especially when delving into the personal problems of the heroes a la marvel. Also Christopher Lee as the villain with a musical number? Hell yeah!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bob's Burgers The Movie - eh it's okay. I like the show well enough but never liked the music numbers and didn't like them here. And just like the show, there's some clever wordplay but it's not that funny. 5/10

e: still better than the great north

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 18, 2022

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

It commits fully to its premise, it's one of the few movies that portrays the North as the unequivocal good guys and the Southern aristocracy as a bunch of blood suckers.

I dig it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Moonstruck (1987) it’s fine. Some funny moments and Nic cage is putting in the work, especially in the one truly outstanding scene in the film

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mississippi Mermaid
The movie opens with a dedication to Renoir, I’m glad that I can now appreciate that after seeing Rules of the Game the other week. It’s is interesting to juxtapose that movie with this one though, in that one the Romance is similarly doomed, the ingrained cultural mores of the participants high and low is such that no amount of love overcome the coming tragedy, Mississippi Mermaid takes the exact opposite track. Their love is built on lies, deceit and murder and yet in the end it seems they’ll still take the plunge and try to make it work as a couple. Marion’s quote at the end “I’m Learning to Love, Louis It Hurts” could be used to sum up the totality of Truffaut’s works I’ve seen so far. A lot of people seem to think that his films are hokey because of that, but I find that sentimentality very effective. And to see the film on such a positive note, even if it’s uncertain in comparison to The Soft Skin or Shoot the Piano Player was a nice treat.

Technical wise this is one of his most dynamic films, shots with the camera whipping around, fades, dissolves theirs a level of kineticism that his later films lack. The Dynamism is matched with the disparate and beautiful settings, I don’t think of Truffaut as someone who makes globetrotting movies, but the film reminded me from the jump of Dr.No, with the heat stricken Reunion island standing in for the sun baked Jamaica, the implicit colonial influence waning as well, with scores of people serving their white boss’s. The film moves from the paradises of Reunion to smaller and colder places as the noose around the character’s necks tighten. From Reunion to Aix-en-Provence and finally to what seems to be the Swiss border. They move from the sweeping open vista’s to a cramped cabin barely large enough for both of them, and when they finally come to the same page at the end of the film they return to the open vistas, but cold and uncertain. I saw this called Hitchcokian which is very true, but Belmondo brings a physicality to the role that someone like Cary Grant lacks, look how comical it is to see Grant playing a thief in To Catch a Thief and tottering along a rooftop like an infant whereas Belmondo scales a four story building with relative ease. Truffaut doesn’t have the same mastery of suspense that Hitchcock does, but there is still a level of it in the film and the positives far out way the negatives to me.

Stagecoach It's refreshing to see a straight western. The stagecoach as a microcosm for American society of the time works extremely well, and Ford isn't afraid to go places with the characters. Hatfield nearly kills a new mother to save her from getting captured. The Pastor getting arrowed suddenly is shocking, and the action, especially in the stagecoach chase are impeccable. The Apache falling between the wheels of the wagon has more impact than any movie nowadays, even Wayne gets in on the action when he jumps from horse to horse on the wagon. I do think it probably could've ended with them arriving in town and skipped the final gunfight, and just went right into the two riding off into the sunset.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai I think I've heard half this movie in random workout motivations playlists. Stylish as hell, it's Le Samourai with all the subtlety removed, while that movie is technically better, framing everything against the quotes from the Hagakure brings a certain charm to Ghost Dog that Le Samourai lacks. And i'll take RZA over whomever scored that film anyday

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Saw Neptune Frost last night and it was awesome. It's like early William Gibson books combined with a very in-your-face anti-colonial/Afrofuturist theme AND great beats. I'm super curious what the budget was but I can't find that info anywhere, alas.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Black Telephone - This horror movie was Not Scary but it a p creative little tale I thought. Above average. I give a 6.5/10.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is Double Indemnity the perfect movie? It certainly seems that way having just finished watching it. It sets so many noir tropes, but even today when a lot of that has been so imitated still feels pretty fresh. I expected to like it but was surprised how much I actually did!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, the wig is awful

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

No, the wig is awful

I know that's the consensus, but I didn't really hate or notice it as something that drew me out of the film.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Budapest Hotel I can't say I'm fond of Anderson's way of directing. Objectively the way he frames things is great, but it's all so twee, and for so long that it starts feeling like a music video or something. And the Dialogue jesus, It's emblematic of that post millennial pre zoomer phase of absolute trash humor, it was really and truly awful, every time someone opened their mouths I was displeased. I didn't like the score either, so in summary I found the cinematography intriguing but exhausting, the score bad, and the dialogue atrocious. And yet, I still liked the movie, not loved, but liked. The core of civility being worn down and passed down through the ages is a good one, enough to carry the rest of the detritus on it's shoulders, and keeping the real focus, the war, out of thought and out of frame is inspired, even the romance between the bellhop and the pastry chef was quaint but well done. Those aspects are enough to recommend the film even if most of the time I found it more tiresome than enchanting.

If anyones played it, it reminds me a lot of the old Adventure game The Last Express

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Persuasion (the new one). It was ok. I probably wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't been with other people, but I enjoyed it I guess. I've never read the book and don't know the story. I wasn't paying all that much attention either, so I'm not sure what actually happened or who the characters were. I think one of the actors was that girl from The Witcher, but she didn't do any magic asskicking in this. The other people watching complained that it deviated a lot from the book, and that the producers 'Disneyfied' it. I'm not sure that Disney would have added the scene where the main character drops trou and starts pissing, but maybe that's in the book, idk. Anyways the song in the end credits was good. "Quietly Yours" by Birdy.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Train to Busan went above and beyond my expectations and it's surprisingly emotional too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Where The Crawdads Sing it's very convenient that being an outcast in the 60s means you're confirming with 2021 cottagecore beauty standards.