Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok I’m in the mood for slow burn north euro / uk crime dramas hit me with suggestions pls thread ty

Top of the Lake would work, it's Elisabeth Moss trying to find a missing girl in New Zealand. I only saw the first season but I remember really liking it, apparently they came out with a second one four years after the first season huh.

On Hulu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finally got around to watching I Love That for You with Vanessa Bayer and Molly Shannon and ended up really, uhh, loving it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 1 was good, and a fun twist on the whole true crime podcast craze. Selena Gomez was definitely weakest part of the show, but it's kind of hard to stand out when you're in a cast of Steve Martin, Martin Short, Nathan Lane, and Amy Ryan. I was surprised when I saw a couple of articles talking about how she was snubbed by the Emmy nominations this year, left my head scratching, until I saw a couple more articles about how now publicists are doing this thing where they are paying money to publications to mention their clients as being snubbed for major awards when they were never in the running and weren't being put up for nominations by their studios or networks in the first place.

I had literally just seen one of these articles this morning and was baffled on how she could ever be considered for any sort of award; she's fine on the show but not noteworthy in the slightest and mostly plays straight man to Martin and Short. So your explanation cleared a lot of stuff up for me - thanks!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Sea Beast (animated movie on Netflix) was pretty fun. It's a bit uneven in that some scenes are very cinematically "shot" and are massively rich with detail and others are relatively basic looking, but I found it entertaining and well made throughout. It's definitely a kids' movie, though, and doesn't have much of the mature elements sneakily thrown in there that Pixar movies tend to, nor does it have secret dirty jokes a la Dreamworks movies.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Sea Beast struck me as "do you like How To Train Your Dragon but wish it were about pirates instead of vikings?" but it's still a pretty good time (if you like that sort of thing)

On the extreme opposite end I started watching Homeland on a lark and I like that it accidentally is a show about the CIA being a dogshit organization that only makes things worse but I was advised to bow out when Damien Lewis leaves the show and that seems like the right call

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wolfsheim posted:

Sea Beast struck me as "do you like How To Train Your Dragon but wish it were about pirates instead of vikings?" but it's still a pretty good time (if you like that sort of thing)

On the extreme opposite end I started watching Homeland on a lark and I like that it accidentally is a show about the CIA being a dogshit organization that only makes things worse but I was advised to bow out when Damien Lewis leaves the show and that seems like the right call

No way. Keep watching for bipolar as a super power, Alex Jones at Ruby Ridge and some Jan 6th action with president Hillary.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Keyser_Soze posted:

I guess those Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches are really that complicated. :shrug:

https://parade.com/1401511/theresagreco/chicago-italian-beef-sandwich/

The large majority of restaurants that have an Italian beef on the menu (every junk food place in the city) get their buns, beef, gravy, and giardiniera from outside purveyors though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Ahh too many new shows I’m supposed to wait for my wife to watch with meeee

Just rewatch Severance again

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I had literally just seen one of these articles this morning and was baffled on how she could ever be considered for any sort of award; she's fine on the show but not noteworthy in the slightest and mostly plays straight man to Martin and Short. So your explanation cleared a lot of stuff up for me - thanks!

Also there are like a hundred good shows now, I don’t think the concept of snub holds up unless people are literally saying you had the best performance of the year.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No way. Keep watching for bipolar as a super power, Alex Jones at Ruby Ridge and some Jan 6th action with president Hillary.

Bipolar as a superpower was mostly the reason I was looking for the exit! It feels like a show thats as dumb as Burn Notice but takes itself 500% more seriously

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Homeland would have been so much better as a limited series with a different ending to season one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did they seriously make eight seasons of homeland?

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Homeland would have been so much better as a limited series with a different ending to season one.

Agreed, it was one choice away from being a top five show for me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wolfsheim posted:

Bipolar as a superpower was mostly the reason I was looking for the exit! It feels like a show thats as dumb as Burn Notice but takes itself 500% more seriously

Yeah I really hated that. The show does come around with some severe consequences to that and not taking it lightly though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

College Rockout posted:

Agreed, it was one choice away from being a top five show for me.

Big, big same. As soon as they chickened out I groaned so hard and felt so betrayed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I was so loving hyped during that scene, but I knew they wouldn't do it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
as much as i love claire danes i could only do like 3 seasons of homeland, and only the first one is "good"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Wow. Resident Evil is impressively bad. Usually I watch all this genre garbage but after 1 episode I'm done.

Almost feels like they adapted some other random zombie script, that hadn't yet been picked up because it wasn't especially good, and slapped "Resident Evil" on it. I don't think it's a sacred IP or anything so it's not like it "ruins" Resident Evil, it's just a show that lacks interesting... anything.

Enos Cabell posted:

IIRC season 1 was supposed to end the way we're thinking and they pivoted it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man i cannot freaking wait for The Rehearsal. i read the NYT review which spoiled the basics of the premise and it's so much crazier than i thought

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Don’t even post the premise here I don’t wanna be spoiled but I know it will be incredible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Don’t even post the premise here I don’t wanna be spoiled but I know it will be incredible

just watched the premiere. absolutely stunning. nathan fielder is actually a sociopath and it owns

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

precision posted:

just watched the premiere. absolutely stunning. nathan fielder is actually a sociopath and it owns

Please, PLEASE, let these people be actors.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

oh gently caress i didnt know it was out im gonna watch it immediately

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

precision posted:

"Remember when the gas company came by because there was a gas leak?"
[increasingly suspicious]"Yesss...sss?"

I believe this is as authentic as Nathan For You, which is to say I'm confident they are real people with real reactions that are definitely edited for entertainment and the people occasionally sort of lean into it because it's fun. And he's got a bigger budget.

It's loving hilarious, though. The quote I said was from the first few minutes and I would post more fun bits but I don't want to spoil. Obviously, if you liked NFY you'll love it. Nathan's antics thus far are the same equal measure of thoughtful, clever, and sociopathic as before.

I honestly missed humor this dry. I should probably seek it out.

edit: how the hell did he not break with Cheap Chick in the City? Cheap Chick in the City. Also a real blog.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 17, 2022

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

nonathlon posted:

* Dark is really good but almost ridiculously complicated and you have to commit to the whole trip.

I think Dark is one of those shows like Heroes where you could watch the first season and call it a day. I think it went off the deep end too hard and lost the magic of what made the first season really amazing (and this is coming from a huge Lost fan).

You may not get 100 percent closure ending on s1 but it’s self contained enough that I usually recommend just watching the first.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I liked watching all of Dark though it got a little tiresome by the end "In your world... and in mine..." was said like 5 times an episode

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

Yep, amazing premiere and I can already tell it’s going to be one of my fav shows of the year

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Booyah- posted:

I liked watching all of Dark though it got a little tiresome by the end "In your world... and in mine..." was said like 5 times an episode

I’m really glad they ended it after three seasons. It got about as complicated as they could make it (probably a bit too much) and then they ended it. I could easily have seen them drag it out even longer and turn into a real slog.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Especially cause it’s in German. I can do stand-alone movies in subtitles but don’t ask me to sit through 50 episodes of that poo poo

I made it most of the way thru season three but bailed. I just don’t care enough

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I loved it. Three seasons was just enough to not overstay its welcome.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Catching up with Tuca and Bertie - yeah it's weird. It's basically Bojack Horseman style animation / world specifically catered to young Millennial women, or at least that's my read. So probably like 2 people that read this thread. Since I'm not that, many of the jokes and themes don't resonate with me (kinda like parts of Broad City) but I enjoy it overall (but not as much as Broad City). Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Glottis posted:

Wow. Resident Evil is impressively bad. Usually I watch all this genre garbage but after 1 episode I'm done.

Almost feels like they adapted some other random zombie script, that hadn't yet been picked up because it wasn't especially good, and slapped "Resident Evil" on it. I don't think it's a sacred IP or anything so it's not like it "ruins" Resident Evil, it's just a show that lacks interesting... anything.

It's a couple of things but generic script with RE slapped onto it definitely isn't one the show makes repeated references to the first three games and the girls uncovering what happened there is a big part of the middle of the season. Plus there's half an episode dedicated to running around the house doing the escape room bit that the games love so much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The last season of broad city is amazing every episode is good

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Broad City was consistently hilarious, I love that show.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Servant on Apple TV is just interesting enough to keep me watching it, but it seems like there's only two possible endings coming.

v It goes on for three seasons? v

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 17, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Inspector Hound posted:

Servant on Apple TV is just interesting enough to keep me watching it, but it seems like there's only two possible endings coming

I enjoyed season 1 enough. Season 2 was fine. Then season 3 came around and I got a few episodes in, and I realized that they hadn't progressed the story far enough and I just lost interest. I will always have a fondness for Lauren Ambrose though from her time on Six Feet Under. I feel like Rupert Grint and the rest of the main Harry Potter cast have done a pretty good job on moving on from the roles that made them famous.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just finished this on Netflix. Easy one of the most thorough D.B. Cooper documentaries i’ve seen in ages. Only four episodes, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29i4ZpCxeJA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Broad City is the actual funniest comedy show of the past decade or two

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Late to it, but I caught up the resolutely B-grade Interceptor. And I am not recommending it, but if you wanted to watch some unashamedly clichéd ridiculous action, possibly while drinking and making fun of it? Absolutely fits the niche.

I was unaware the director and story creator was Matthew Reilly, who has a long line of treekilling novels in exactly the same vein. For "fans" of his ouevre, this is a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Terminal is on Netflix so i finally got around to watching it. as expected, it's deffo a low-tier Spielberg, but still really entertaining