Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also gotta consider the fact that the Russos happen to have a Netflix movie coming out shortly so whether that's affecting what he's saying or not it certainly colors how that take is perceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Netflix movie is going to theaters for a week or so.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This seems like you have a weird thing against Russo and are just getting mad at anything they say.

I think the Russo bros come off very hoighty toighty because of their MCU tenure when they are the epitome of the journeyman director (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with, but it feels like the Russo Bros so deperately do not want to be seen as that and it's pretty lol -- see their super pretentious blurb about being an artist they had to put in front of Cherry).

And I ain't mad despite how many times you wanna keep saying it lol. Automatically labeling someone being mad for criticizing something is dumb. That said, I'll always criticize the director who wanted to "ensure the integrity of portraying the LGBTQ+ community in a blockbuster film" by casting himself as a gay man as opposed to casting someone actually LGBTQ+ lmao.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

teagone posted:

I think the Russo bros come off very hoighty toighty because of their MCU tenure when they are the epitome of the journeyman director (which there is nothing wrong with, but it feels like the Russo Bros so deperately do not want to be labeled that). And I ain't mad despite how many times you wanna keep saying it lol. Automatically labeled as someone being mad for criticizing something is dumb. That said, I'll always criticize the director who wanted to "ensure the integrity of portraying the LGBTQ+ community in a blockbuster film" by casting himself as a gay man as opposed to casting someone actually LGBTQ+ lmao.

Then get mad at those things and don't end up accidentally defending the literal definition of elitism and a corporate monopoly on access to cinema because they made the wrong kind of Superhero movie.

Because this:

teagone posted:

And yeah, I'm not at all against day and date releases, or the 45-day post release streaming premiere. Those are cool and good, 100% for sure. It's a guy who has directed some of the highest grossing films of all time dictating what is considered elitist or not in the moviegoing space that's pretty lol to me.

Sounds like you actually agree with exactly what they are saying, but are coming out against the idea because of who said it.

They actually basically predicted this exact response in the very article:

quote:

The overwhelming success of those movies has caused them to represent something that has become “other,” or maybe not attainable to some others for whatever reason. Not every movie has to be liked globally. When I was 19, I used to love U2. And then they started getting some commercial success, beyond their MTV early days, where they were the biggest band in the world. And I was like, “I hate U2. I’m sick of U2. They’re so ubiquitous!” That was just my ego trying to define myself against the masses. Then, 10 years later, I was like, “I loving love U2. Why did I do that?” I outgrew it. It feels like a very juvenile conversation. The whole thing feels sad and cynical and pessimistic.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 16, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Then get mad at those things and don't end up accidentally defending the literal definition of elitism and a corporate monopoly on access to cinema because they made the wrong kind of Superhero movie.

My posts were never about defending corporate monopolies, you got that mixed up with me just making fun of a director who probably is still upset about Marty Scorsese's take on Marvel movies from like 3 years ago. [edit] Because that's what that bit from the interview sounded like to me.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 16, 2022

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
And the bit about him going back and forth on U2 is honestly a bit insulting, framing it as the only reason people could hate something is popular is because they want define themselves "against the masses". What if you just think U2's music sucks and don't want to listen to it? Maybe the people not liking the MCU isn't to be edgy, but maybe they (I) don't think the movies are good?

I like a good action/adventure flick and if they make a good one, I'll be there, but if they are bland product produced by the sausage factory, with frankly awful cinematography and weightless action scenes, why should I pretend to like it? Because everyone else does? I mean, Top Gun: Maverick is an action/adventure film from a big corp and it is also (arguably) propaganda for the American military, but I don't hate it, because it is very well done.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

garycoleisgod posted:

And the bit about him going back and forth on U2 is honestly a bit insulting, framing it as the only reason people could hate something is popular is because they want define themselves "against the masses". What if you just think U2's music sucks and don't want to listen to it? Maybe the people not liking the MCU isn't to be edgy, but maybe they (I) don't think the movies are good?

I don't think there's any presumption that this is the only reason people will speak out against MCU films. I know plenty of people who are simply, honestly not interested in the genre as a whole and of course there are others who have valid criticisms - none of the movies are perfect. However, there when you start to get people calling for the end of superhero movies or for the MCU to go away, it probably is motivated by contrarianism to quite a large extent.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I mean, I hate U2 because they suck. It’s possible to have an opinion about a popular thing that is not purely reactionary. Good on him for finally being able to admit he likes an extremely popular band though, for real.

These dudes are just really weird sore winners, they’re directed several massively successful and beloved movies but they’re still so whiny and insecure about even the most mild criticism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Theaters are a nice to exist and preferring them is good but they do, in fact, loving suck in anything resembling their current state. Theaters being focused on making an enjoyable unique experience that functions well as a night out and allows the movie to shine: good. Movies making you pay absurd prices for cheap rear end food so you can be shoved in cheap seats and forced to watch advertisements they get paid for? gently caress that.

This is the problem with a lot of this discussing. Theaters as a concept and theaters as they exist are very different things. Theaters are even different from a decade ago because we've increasingly gotten better and better options for viewing at home and the previous experience in theaters was offering a quality that was hard to match.

It's like arcades vs console games. The better home gaming became the less relevant arcades became the only thing they really offered were a handful of unique machines and the chance of spending $10 in quarters to finish a game. You can still have an arcade these days but it needs to actually offer an interesting experience or else you're just paying more money. There's an argument to be made about social groups but even that is becoming less relevant when you can do group or online meetups.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 16, 2022

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of people can’t go to the theater because of Covid. I’d call theaters a sacred space but wouldn’t mind if they did a day of home release too for the people that can’t go

ICYMI, the new variants are basically a reset to March 2020 except no one cares to stop the death and maiming

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

wizardofloneliness posted:

These dudes are just really weird sore winners, they’re directed several massively successful and beloved movies but they’re still so whiny and insecure about even the most mild criticism.

I knew there was a reason they got along so well with Dan Harmon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

teagone posted:

This whole interview is lmao

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1548106275828903939

[edit] Lol

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1548087515558674433

Says the man who directed a movie that generated nearly $3 billion at the box office.

WE COME TO THIS PLACE FOR MAGIC. WE COME TO THEATERS TO LAUGH, TO CRY, TO CARE. BECAUSE WE NEED THAT, ALL OF US.

I'll take Nicole Kidman every time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh gently caress that intro, it’s so cheesy and pointless.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Take that back

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh gently caress that intro, it’s so cheesy and pointless.

That woman is American royalty, you take that back!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What's really elitist is not releasing your movies in DVD when broadband connection even in the US is shoddy. How many Netflix originals do they put out on DVD, exactly?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh Nicole what have you done to your face? :(

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao the community boys' brains are totally broken by the fact that their success was wholly due to the IP they briefly worked for and now they make crap that's broadly recognized as crap

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Holy gently caress that image :laffo:

AMC isn't my usual theater, but we ended up at one recently for Thor and that sermon absolutely blew me away. And THEN it was followed up by a similar reverential AMC + Coke spot.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm so tired of watching movies in my air conditionless home, blasted by 10 thousand lumens of brain piercing light that I can't, apparently, turn off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to continue not going to theaters again except maybe for John Wick 4

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Getting mad at him for saying that because he had a successful movie is basically the cinema version of this comic:

lol Joe Russo is not talking about "elitism" the same way the oppressed people in the comic are talking about improving society, he's using buzzwords like "elitism" and "culture war" the same way a FOX news anchor does to deflect any failures or criticism he's facing because he is a millionaire who is struggling with insecurity as he tries to succeed outside of the MCU bubble where he was safe and lauded by his bosses for making them a profit

While I agree with the general sentiment of this, theater quality home viewing is itself still an expensive proposition even as it does get more affordable in general. If you have a 50+ inch wall mounted flat screen with a good sound bar and you're complaining about $15 movie tickets and expensive concessions, it's likely not because the latter is literally out of your price range.

I feel like something that's being neglected in this conversation is that fact that you will eventually get to see basically any movie in your home setting if you choose*, the current discussion/debate is more around a period of theater exclusivity. I suppose what is really at stake is the idea of getting shut out of the cultural conversation for a few months because you choose not to go to a theater, but I feel like we are even moving increasingly beyond that kind of paradigm anyway.

*barring like David Lynch getting so pissed at someone watching a movie on their phone that he creates and releases a movie only in theaters then destroys all the copies or something lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blessed image

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like something that's being neglected in this conversation is that fact that you will eventually get to see basically any movie in your home setting if you choose*, the current discussion/debate is more around a period of theater exclusivity. I suppose what is really at stake is the idea of getting shut out of the cultural conversation for a few months because you choose not to go to a theater, but I feel like we are even moving increasingly beyond that kind of paradigm anyway.

Yeah, that's always the unspoken part when it comes to anti-theatre people being all indignant. What they're really mad about is not being able to see New Thing immediately in the easiest way possible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mostly just don't want covid

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

While I agree with the general sentiment of this, theater quality home viewing is itself still an expensive proposition even as it does get more affordable in general. If you have a 50+ inch wall mounted flat screen with a good sound bar and you're complaining about $15 movie tickets and expensive concessions, it's likely not because the latter is literally out of your price range.
The vast majority of people have a TV, so the question is not comparing having a TV versus going to the movies. And you get can get a decent sound bar and mounted TV for not that much. It's comparing going to the movies vs streaming or getting stuff from the library. For a family of four, going to the movies is $60 per month with travel time and costs. My son isn't movie age yet, but any trip to the theater is at least 60 minutes of driving in addition to the movie. And seeing a grown up movie at a nice indie theater is like a whole thing.

You can spend the same money per month to subscribe to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and HBOMax. Renting a new-ish movie is often the cost of a single movie ticket.

I don't know if I would call it elitist, but I think it's kinda lovely and out of touch to shame how people watch a movie. But I also don't think it's bad for a director and crew to have an intent for how the film is supposed to be experienced.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

RBA Starblade posted:

I mostly just don't want covid

Yes, but obviously avoiding a pandemic is very different from what everyone is actually talking about.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its a relatively sensible opinion expressed in a slightly hyperbolic way by a rich guy who may or may not have some insecurities about his critical standing but I dont care about enough to psychoanalyse.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Don’t forget the part about him practically endorsing a monopoly.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I feel thankful that I've still got a $5 local theater even if the movies they show are mostly bad

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ruddiger posted:

Don’t forget the part about him practically endorsing a monopoly.

The annoying the about the quote is that it's pretty rich coming from a guy who works for two companies actively making the theatrical experience worse.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man I do remember everyone hating infinity war and Captain America winter soldier, oh wait

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, that's always the unspoken part when it comes to anti-theatre people being all indignant. What they're really mad about is not being able to see New Thing immediately in the easiest way possible.

Yeah how dare I like convenience and being able to ignore other people making GBS threads up the experience

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Piell posted:

Yeah how dare I like convenience and being able to ignore other people making GBS threads up the experience

Having a preference is fine. Calling theatres elitist comes off as insecure.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

COVID killed all the non AMC and Harkins here. Including a very promising theater that was being constructed barely a mile away from me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wish I could give a speech about the of the art form whatever someone starts texting throughout the entire movie a row in front of me
A speech that melts phones

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Upsidads posted:

Man I do remember everyone hating infinity war and Captain America winter soldier, oh wait

Bring back the previs team that did Fury's car sequence and the elevator fight lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

The vast majority of people have a TV, so the question is not comparing having a TV versus going to the movies.

I mean I’m specifically responded to the oft-repeated sentiment that “the home viewing experience is getting closer to the theater experience anyway”. Sure everyone has a tv and a phone so there’s viewing options, but again at the point you are budgeting cinema visits you can simply wait for the streaming release.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

In 40+ years going to movies basically all the time I can think of less than ten times in my life when someone in a theater was actually disruptive, and a lot of that time way living in big cities with packed crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So many people wait for streaming release now that there is always a second wave of cultural connection after the theater release. Sometimes it’s even bigger. Look at how many more people were taking about The Batman or Multiverse of Madness after they came out on streaming. It doesn’t really seem to be an issue to just wait these days.

Also an interesting comparison is video games. We accept that game designers create their games for certain ideal specs. You need a min power cpu/gpu and storage space to run it. You can argue that a director/studio designing a movie for a theater level screen/sound is the same as defining the spec for the ideal experience. It’s a better defined standard than the range of TVs and laptops.