Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I don't like the perspective tricks that may or may not be going on there, but wow, is that speaker thing dumb.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I really hope this doesn't become the stupid disposable gimmick junk thread. This product is so obnoxious it's upsetting me.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I really hope this doesn't become the stupid disposable gimmick junk thread. This product is so obnoxious it's upsetting me.

I'll second this. And also go farther and state any product that claims "It is a _______ that is also a _______!" can go F itself.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I'll second this. And also go farther and state any product that claims "It is a _______ that is also a _______!" can go F itself.

It's a comedy forum that also has files!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

But it's only $99.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Brother Tadger posted:

I like “goodr” glasses. $25 a pair I literally any color combination you could think of. They look like cheap gas station sunglasses but are pretty robust and are polarized. Not saying they are game changers or anything, but they are good quality for cheap and because of their low price I don’t feel worried about losing/scratching them.

https://goodr.com/products/a-gingers-soul

thanks for this recommendation, my favorite literal gas station sunglasses have a big scratch that i've been gritting my teeth through for too long. seems like most of the styles are the same price or a few bucks more, so i can let my freak flag fly with some brighter colors :3

e: these are almost identical, awesome https://goodr.com/collections/traditional/products/donkey-goggles

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 16, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This product is so obnoxious it's upsetting me.

Goons always gonna goon.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
The Winburner 1.8l pot is available again as a stand alone item. (does not come with stove)

At Christmas, someone bought a Windburner Duo for us, but it was a bit much for shorter trips. even if just carrying the pot. The 1.8l fits in the pack a bit easier.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stopped by the closest REI yesterday to check out their garage sale section and found a Flash 22 daypack in black. I definitely did not need another bag but wanted to buy one last year but they were sold out before I pulled the trigger (was having a hard time paying full retail :lol:). The elastic side pockets, lid and small zippered external pocket are nice additions to that form factor.

So I have a bright green Flash 18 that I will be selling soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash 18 owns though, it's an awesome stuff sack if you reverse it and holds plenty for a day hike. Multipurpose gear is great. :v:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The flash 18 crumples up so small and weighs so little, I've used it as a daypack stuffed inside my larger pack, as well as as a food-containment-and-hanging bag, for a very long time.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Flash 18 owns though, it's an awesome stuff sack if you reverse it and holds plenty for a day hike. Multipurpose gear is great. :v:

Can confirm. The Flash 18 owns bones. Great bag for day tripping from camp for very little extra weight vs a stuff stack. It’s also great for ultralight around-town excursions.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well poo poo. These fjällräven abisko trekking tights pro in size XXL really have a 70cm inseam. The reinforced knee parts sit on thighs, above knees. Uh huh. Why these are so goddamn short in the largest possible size?!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Chard posted:

thanks for this recommendation, my favorite literal gas station sunglasses have a big scratch that i've been gritting my teeth through for too long. seems like most of the styles are the same price or a few bucks more, so i can let my freak flag fly with some brighter colors :3

e: these are almost identical, awesome https://goodr.com/collections/traditional/products/donkey-goggles

Did the goodr website immediately attempt to use anyone else's camera?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AKZ posted:

Did the goodr website immediately attempt to use anyone else's camera?

Only if I hit the "virtual try on" button, but not on the website generally. The info for it says camera access is required.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Ihmemies posted:

Well poo poo. These fjällräven abisko trekking tights pro in size XXL really have a 70cm inseam. The reinforced knee parts sit on thighs, above knees. Uh huh. Why these are so goddamn short in the largest possible size?!

The way these are sized is weird. Mine are size L and if anything the inseam is too long. Tights seem like one of those things where the sizing needs to be much more specific then just a generic small, medium, large, etc.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I need to get a water bottle that I can hang from a (proper climbing) carabiner on the outside of a bag. Yes I know it will be annoying as hell when it swings around. Generally I've used wide mouth nalgenes for everything, but I question the durability of the lid tether as an attachment point in that use case. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that would take some abuse when hung that way?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw a youtube video a ways back that I can no longer find that made an argument that clip on water bottles are not safe.. apparently the attach points don't take shocks very well. The best I found was this one which demonstrates how bad using the loop on a nalgene is (and later goes on to suggest that hard plastic clip on bottles are probably fine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVvdf41Y9w

The suggestions I saw was putting the bottle in a rope sling.. but I'm not a climber so am no authority on whether that's a better idea or not.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

xzzy posted:

I saw a youtube video a ways back that I can no longer find that made an argument that clip on water bottles are not safe.. apparently the attach points don't take shocks very well. The best I found was this one which demonstrates how bad using the loop on a nalgene is (and later goes on to suggest that hard plastic clip on bottles are probably fine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVvdf41Y9w

The suggestions I saw was putting the bottle in a rope sling.. but I'm not a climber so am no authority on whether that's a better idea or not.

Oh yeah I should be clear - I will not be climbing with a bottle in said configuration, regardless of the attachment point. My use case is just bringing the water bottle on a walk to my local climbing gym, clipped to the outside of a bag that is already stuffed full of climbing gear.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Plenty of metal bottles have hard molded plastic caps that would work I imagine. I'm looking at my ancient Klean Kanteen sports cap on my desk right now, and it'd definitely clip (although, as you note, it'd bang around uncomfortably). My wife has a Yeti bottle with a hefty carry cap--great bottle, but heavy as hell. I'm sure other brands have similar hard molded plastic loop caps if you browse through REI's selection.

Note that many will be insulated these days, which reduces volume. Just something to keep an eye out for if you care about it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

armorer posted:

I need to get a water bottle that I can hang from a (proper climbing) carabiner on the outside of a bag. Yes I know it will be annoying as hell when it swings around. Generally I've used wide mouth nalgenes for everything, but I question the durability of the lid tether as an attachment point in that use case. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that would take some abuse when hung that way?

i got a few of these dealies

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801513543215.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

armorer posted:

My Camelbak bottle has a big thick "finger loop" that use with a carabiner all the time. I have a Chute but other models also look sturdy. Insulated and plain versions are available.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

incogneato posted:

Plenty of metal bottles have hard molded plastic caps that would work I imagine. I'm looking at my ancient Klean Kanteen sports cap on my desk right now, and it'd definitely clip (although, as you note, it'd bang around uncomfortably). My wife has a Yeti bottle with a hefty carry cap--great bottle, but heavy as hell. I'm sure other brands have similar hard molded plastic loop caps if you browse through REI's selection.

Note that many will be insulated these days, which reduces volume. Just something to keep an eye out for if you care about it.

Kleen Canteen looks perfect. Big chunky loop molded directly into the cap, no hinges or anything to break. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

armorer posted:

Kleen Canteen looks perfect. Big chunky loop molded directly into the cap, no hinges or anything to break. Thanks!

I love the heck out of my kleen canteen, mostly because it actually fits into cup holders in a car and most other insulated bottles don't sit quite right. The chonky wide loop cap they sell is definitely quite beefy.

My only issue with them is the metal cowl at the bottom, dropping the bottle will eventually break whatever weld/glue they use to hold it on and you got a part that doesn't stay on quite right.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I got a few of these from work and they're great. Insulated so slightly bulky and heavy compared to a nalgene, but the top grab handle is super robust and could easily accommodate a real carabineer.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Verman posted:

I got a few of these from work and they're great. Insulated so slightly bulky and heavy compared to a nalgene, but the top grab handle is super robust and could easily accommodate a real carabineer.

Yeah, this is what my wife has. It's a genuinely great bottle, despite the trendy brand (and price to match). It is a big heavy thing though, not something I'd take on a hike or whatever.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The hydroflask handle is much sturdier than the nalgene lid thingy, but I agree that the molded plastic finger hole in a kleen kanteen lid is probably the most secure for carabinering to something. As you mentioned, yeah please don't climb with it like that. But it's fine for walking around.

Nalgene lid tethers suck, mine broke years ago and I wasn't even hanging it. I've been wanting to replace that nalgene for years but can't justify it cause it still holds water just fine... someone please steal it from me or stab it with a knife or something so I can finally bring myself to replace it

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm honestly amazed they haven't figured out something better. It's like ... Minimal changes would make a nalgene even better.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Nalgenes rule but I've never felt compelled to dangle a water bottle before.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A friend I used to climb with (we are still friends, I just had a kid and that plus covid made it impossible to keep up) gave me one of these Zulu water bottles and I absolutely love it. It has a little cord loop tied on it with a lark's head that I imagine you could hang on a carabiner. My favorite thing about it, and I insist any water bottle I buy going forward have a similar design for hygiene reasons, is that the lid fully encloses the part you put your mouth on. The bottle inside is glass but it's very sturdy and the material surrounding it is shock-absorbent.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Nalgene makes mostly scientific products, their water bottles are an afterthought. They’ll probably never update em. Interesting that nobody’s made an aftermarket lid holder though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what's a guideline for cleaning chemicals/solutions to clean your tent/fly/footprint? my rei tent has been working well for a few uses but i should give it a clean before i go camping later this month

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Should probably go by what the manufacturer recommends.

I generally just use vinegar/water in a spray bottle after every use. Just spray all over then rub down with a rag.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
When I was in the Boy Scouts SOP was just to hose down the ground cloth and hang it to dry. I've never even really considered doing more than that unless there was something obviously soiled.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

They do sell "tech-wash" if you want to be super particular about it - https://www.rei.com/product/724687/nikwax-tech-wash-10-fl-oz.

I think the idea though is just any very light soap that wont leave residues. I usually just brush debris off fabrics and store dry. If theres something sticky or gross I'll spot clean and leave it at that.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
We’re heading out to Santa Rosa island (channel island Np) at the end of the month for 3 nights/4 days. We need to pick up a windbreaker (sustained wind 15-30 mph is common), that is useful in direct sun (I.e nothing too insulated), as there is no natural cover on the island. I have never had a windbreaker before and don’t know where to start. Anyone have any recommendations that have worked for you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The zpacks wind shell comes with the ultralight tax, and it's ugly as sin, but it's also bug proof.

The REI flash jacket is also pretty light and looks more normal. It's a bit oversized but it's intended to go over a midlayer. It comes with a hydrophobic coating but it soaks through almost immediately so is very much wind only. But it takes the edge off a steady wind. It's usually what I have stuffed in my backpack.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Patagonia Houdini if you want ultralight, and as a bonus it is water-resistant.

If you’re less concerned about weight, I’d just use a rain jacket (e.g., Marmot Precip) to cover multiple bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

mitztronic posted:

We’re heading out to Santa Rosa island (channel island Np) at the end of the month for 3 nights/4 days. We need to pick up a windbreaker (sustained wind 15-30 mph is common), that is useful in direct sun (I.e nothing too insulated), as there is no natural cover on the island. I have never had a windbreaker before and don’t know where to start. Anyone have any recommendations that have worked for you?

I did Santa Rosa years ago and the Houdini mentioned above was perfect. It’ll also keep you dry in a drizzle but don’t expect it to withstand anything stronger than that.

I’ll also pass along a piece of advice that we didn’t get when we did our trip: you have to secure your food to protect it from the island foxes which are very much not afraid to wander right into the campsites. Obviously there are no trees to hang from, so we figured we would have to fit all we could into our bear can. Imagine my surprise when I see people disembarking dragging coolers and lugging whole bags full of groceries! The sites all have lockers that you can store your food in, but there was no mention of that on the website when they said to secure your food.

We were very hungry when the boat finally came back.