Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm beginning to hit a point where the blood and cramps and cravings loving suck, but the worst parts of the period for me are the hormonal mood swings as I ramp up to and out of the period. Anger, depression, worse. It's been a lot of fun untangling what's my own mental health vs PMS hell.

Which is to say yeah I've been talking to my obgyn, therapist, psych and regular doc about this. Gonna try a hormonal IUD soon hopefully!

Just wanted to complain especially today because aaaaaaaaaarghhh I want to write today, not nurse my own depression and crankiness!

Seems a lot like the boat I'm in. If you're an older lady at this point and what I feel is some exciting menopause stuff setting in. I've been mostly mood free while maintaining things with my usual bc pill. That's been fine for many years.

Recently though I have been having longer and more obnoxious bleeding when it's time, and also I've been a lot snappier and moody and prone to getting teary.

I've supplemented now with Wellbutrin and it's getting me by, but I wish I didn't feel like I had to medicate to feel normal again.

And also as an added bonus some of the antibiotics I'm on following my procedure caused a yeast infection, now I'm also doing the monistat insert pill and cream. This past couple weeks has been more terrible than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
One of my coworkers told me to calm down on this, the first full day of my period.

Somehow this man is still breathing.

Also crampy

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Doll House Ghost posted:

There's also contraceptive implant like Nexplanon, which uses (I think) different hormone than IUDs generally.
Nexplanon and Mirena both use progestins, but different types (Nexplanon uses etonogestrel and Mirena uses levonorgestrel). Most other forms of hormonal birth control use a combination of progestin and estrogen, including most common pills, NuvaRing, and the patch. So a lot of people have side effects from estrogen but not necessarily progestin, and some people have side effects from one type of progestin but not another (or different types/combinations of estrogen, etc.)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

KitConstantine posted:

I use nuva ring and it works great for me. I tried pills for a while and they literally made me insane, but I don't have any issues with that using nuvaring

I just looked that up and how does it work? Does the ring just stay put all the time?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I just looked that up and how does it work? Does the ring just stay put all the time?

yep! you push it up there and it kinda sits behind your pubic bone and just hangs out for 3 weeks. you pull it out, period happens (mine is way lighter and shorter too but I've been on it for years) then you stick a new one in and move on with your life.

You don't have to pull it out during sex either unless there's some serious anatomy/hardware going up there, and if needs must it can come out for up to 3 hours before effectiveness is potentially reduced.

Technically its contraindicated for people who get migraines, but I get em and use it anyway and haven't noticed any additional issues :shrug:

Then again other hormonal birth control makes me insane, my body pushed the IUD out about a week after a miserable insertion experience, and the implant gave my sister ovarian cysts so I'm slightly limited in options.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hate that half the time in my period I feel like I have a uti but I'll piss on the test strips and it's not a uti. It's just some dumb period bullshit. Least the testers are cheap.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been doing nuvaring for the last six months or so and can recommend, it's been great. I didn't want to commit to an IUD or implant and I didn't trust myself to take the pill as regularly as you should, and this is a perfect halfway point since all you have to do is a calendar reminder to take it out and another a week later to put the new one in. I like being able to perfectly control when my period (technically withdrawal bleeding but whatever) is and I don't usually get cramps unlike with my real period.

The only disadvantage for me at least is that it's expensive compared to other forms of birth control, but that might just be an Australia thing since it's not covered by our public system.

Also weird side effect is I don't have to pee as often as before I was on it?? Weird and I'm unsure how that works but it's really convenient!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I have a theory that it being essentially a topical birth control makes it a little easier on those of us who are super sensitive to meds (yes hi hello), and it may play into it affecting your bladder. It's right by everything else in there

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

I hate that half the time in my period I feel like I have a uti but I'll piss on the test strips and it's not a uti. It's just some dumb period bullshit. Least the testers are cheap.

God yeah if it's the right time of month it's like 'do I haul rear end out to the clinic or do I wait a few days' it's the pH changes that do it

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

Not just me I guess, cool! I figured it was a need to hydrate thing because after one particularly nasty UTI it still burned and the NP told me it was a concentration thing as the strip said I was fine. Also, you can get these strips without a visit? I recently moved to Canada from the US and I'm still finding out what I can get vs what I can't anymore lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
You can find the urine testing strips on Amazon at like a pack of 30 for 20 bucks. Just get the individual wrapped ones bc they're only good for like 3 months after you break the seal on the bigger lab use ones.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Bc pills have been good for me. My biggest issue has been, outside of forgetting them sometimes one day and I suddenly engage in a period immediately, is getting them from the pharmacy. Sometimes I can get multiple months and sometimes they only issue them per month, and it seems like how the doctor lets me do this changes every year or so. Needing to remember to get them from the pharmacy is also an issue to forgetting to take them regularly.

On the ending path of a yeast infection and the itchiness is finally mostly gone.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Mirena update: cramps stopped pretty quickly but I'm having continuous spotting and having to wear pads all the time. I think I'm starting my actual period now and it's actually better because for some reason the spotting smells gross. I hope the spotting doesn't continue long cause it's really nasty and makes me not want to have sex. I couldn't take the pill because my psych meds apparently make it much less effective. I found this out from my psychiatrist after having unprotected sex for like several months thinking it was fine cause I was on birth control. Thank goodness I didn't get pregnant!!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

So I was spotting about two weeks ago, not like normal period levels, but enough and regularly that I thought it was my period. It would have been late at around 44 days. It lasted about 5 days and then ended, leaving me to wonder if I had my period. Now today, at ~58 days it's starting again. On further reflection, it probably is just my normal period, with a weak short one that was late. What is with my cycle.... ?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Maigius posted:

So I was spotting about two weeks ago, not like normal period levels, but enough and regularly that I thought it was my period. It would have been late at around 44 days. It lasted about 5 days and then ended, leaving me to wonder if I had my period. Now today, at ~58 days it's starting again. On further reflection, it probably is just my normal period, with a weak short one that was late. What is with my cycle.... ?

So I'm not a doctor and if you are concerned I definitely suggest to ask your obgyn.

However for me, I do bc pills, and after a while my body starts to have a period and I can get spotting as well. This is usually my indicator that I've been taking the pills for too long, it's time to stop, and let me body do it's thing. I usually have a bad period for over a week and once it's over I get on the pill again and I'm good for a few months or so again.

Prolonged use of the pills for me tends to result in some odd things happening if I try to stave off biology for much longer than I should, and I just need to let a reset happen.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

For whatever loving reason, my Lexapro keeps getting filled in one week doses, so I inevitably forget to refill it and I LOSE MY loving MIND ON MY loving ANNIVERSARY, which as it turns out, is three days before my period starts.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

cool kids inc. posted:

For whatever loving reason, my Lexapro keeps getting filled in one week doses, so I inevitably forget to refill it and I LOSE MY loving MIND ON MY loving ANNIVERSARY, which as it turns out, is three days before my period starts.

Uh, happy anniversary? Is the Lexapro one after paper, or what?

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013
Had cramps so bad that I had to repeatedly mute myself during a work call so that I could whine/moan as needed. Ended up clocking out several hours early so that I could take a 2-hour nap while curled around my heating pad.

80mg of CBD later, the pain is finally at a low enough level for me to consider sleeping through the night.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Does raspberry leaf tea work for anyone else? It's always eased my cramping.

Yesterday I started my period and today we visited my husband's grandma. She's got a big garden and I asked if I could cut some raspberry leaves to dry for tea and she said, yes, that's fine. She asked me why as she'd never heard of making tea from it (in my second language, so my communication skills are not top notch) and I couldn't think of the word for 'menstrual cramps' so I said "For the womanly complaints" and gestured at my stomach but she was confused and asked me "for poop?" and I said "no, for the blood" and she had a good laugh about it.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Does raspberry leaf tea work for anyone else? It's always eased my cramping.

Yesterday I started my period and today we visited my husband's grandma. She's got a big garden and I asked if I could cut some raspberry leaves to dry for tea and she said, yes, that's fine. She asked me why as she'd never heard of making tea from it (in my second language, so my communication skills are not top notch) and I couldn't think of the word for 'menstrual cramps' so I said "For the womanly complaints" and gestured at my stomach but she was confused and asked me "for poop?" and I said "no, for the blood" and she had a good laugh about it.

First off, you and your grandma sound adorable. Second, yes on the red raspberry leaf except I use capsules because I don't like tea

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I've never heard of this before. I will have to try it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Supposedly it can also induce a miscarriage, so gotta watch out for that. But not a worry if you're taking it for period cramps!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

On top of forgetting to refill the brain meds that make PMDD bearable (who the gently caress issues something like that a month at a time), my period was two days late.

It was a fun two bonus days of 'Did my trans wife get me pregnant by some loving unknown miracle or is this just my usual nightmare time?'

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I've never heard of this before. I will have to try it.

If you pick your own leaves make sure it hasn't been sprayed with anything. They sell blends with raspberry leaves in it but for my money just get a big bag of organic leaves on the internet if you don't have your own kindly oma to snag it from.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My frustration with my body is reaching new highs. Bleed, dammit! I suffered through horrible medication for this poo poo!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Try ginger tea, candy, capsules, etc. It works for for me, anyway. Pennyroyal is supposed to be good for starting your period, too. (And induce abortions, hence the Nirvana song "Pennyroyal Tea")

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have my own raspberry plants that I dont spray so uh. Any idea if its older or new leaves that are best?

also better fresh or dried?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I pick the leaves that are still green, not going yellow, but smallish, if only to put them in my round food dehydrator easier. I dry them for long term storage, but you could make it fresh too. Got to dry them, and dry them well, otherwise they mold. A food dehydrator is the best, if you have it, but you can dry them in the oven too, although I've never tried that, there's methods online for that. Unless you live in an extremely dry climate though you need to artificially dry them. Then crunch them up once they are dry - I like using a mortar and pestle cause it makes feel like a witch (I also got some rose hips that same day and dried them up too). Store in a clean (make sure it's dry before you put the leaves in, cannot overstate the danger of mold) air tight glass jar.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I pick the leaves that are still green, not going yellow, but smallish, if only to put them in my round food dehydrator easier. I dry them for long term storage, but you could make it fresh too. Got to dry them, and dry them well, otherwise they mold. A food dehydrator is the best, if you have it, but you can dry them in the oven too, although I've never tried that, there's methods online for that. Unless you live in an extremely dry climate though you need to artificially dry them. Then crunch them up once they are dry - I like using a mortar and pestle cause it makes feel like a witch (I also got some rose hips that same day and dried them up too). Store in a clean (make sure it's dry before you put the leaves in, cannot overstate the danger of mold) air tight glass jar.

Cool! I've got a dehydrator :) I buy fruit and such when it's on sale and dry what I grow for mushrooms sometimes. Appreciate the tip

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Cool! I've got a dehydrator :) I buy fruit and such when it's on sale and dry what I grow for mushrooms sometimes. Appreciate the tip

No probs. And not to turn into food chat, but food dehydrators are the best!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

at the loving eleventh hour the bastard arrives

i require chips

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Ralph Crammed In posted:

No probs. And not to turn into food chat, but food dehydrators are the best!

Period talk always turns into food talk for at least a little while

Killingyouguy! posted:

at the loving eleventh hour the bastard arrives

i require chips

See?

Edit: speaking of food, my problem with my tits itching really badly during my period finally went away, now that I've greatly reduced my drinking to just when I'm socializing

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 31, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

nvm the bastard has decided i don't deserve chips

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Killingyouguy! posted:

nvm the bastard has decided i don't deserve chips

Hey, hey, hey: look at me. You ALWAYS deserve chips

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Edit: speaking of food, my problem with my tits itching really badly during my period finally went away, now that I've greatly reduced my drinking to just when I'm socializing
is it like, ON your tits, or more like in the upper-center of your chest? asking cuz I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to one (1) brand of ginger ale and I'm pretty sure of this because immediately after drinking some, itching occurs in the area over the cardiac plexus. I'm not sure why that would be a thing, and maybe I've got it all wrong -- but maybe you're allergic to alcohol now? :shrug:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

It was ON my tits, the nipples itched the worst. I might be sensitive to alcohol, I guess. That's fine with me, having more than one drink feels like pushing it these days. I had a generous cocktail a couple weeks ago and had a pounding headache all the next day. Middle age hangovers are agony, you guys.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Powerful Katrinka posted:

It was ON my tits, the nipples itched the worst. I might be sensitive to alcohol, I guess. That's fine with me, having more than one drink feels like pushing it these days. I had a generous cocktail a couple weeks ago and had a pounding headache all the next day. Middle age hangovers are agony, you guys.

I find that if I take a prenatal vitamin and a glass of water before bed, I'll not feel a thing the next day, and I'm 41. Highly recommend!

So after taking care of my husband who had covid for a week and somehow not getting it myself, I caught a sinus infection that decided to involve my lungs. I tested using RATs from the same box my husband used and tested negative 2x 3 days apart, and tested positively towards the negative.

I got all the emotional poo poo and food cravings but no mess. I've got a Mirena but over the past six months I've gotten what I lovingly call "Vegemite", and rarely some bleeding. I guess it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it just decided to gently caress off with the rinse cycle this month because I'm sick? Watch, I'll get punched twice for flinching next month... ugh

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
My food craving tends to be dairy for some reason. Milk tastes amazing. Cheeses are awesome. Everything is just extra creamy and tasty and it is my weird period craving. Usually when milk starts to taste much better than it should be, I know I have a period coming.

I tend to get poison ivy on my tits as well. Anytime I get into it it gets up my arms and on my cheek and on the side of my tits. I can understand every other spot except those because I'm not exactly itching them when I'm getting into all the gardening, so I have no idea why I get poison ivy on them. But it happens. It's not your situations, but I am just relating to itching that drives me crazy to the point I'm making myself bleed and I wake up with blood under my fingernails. It's horrible.

I hope you recover quickly.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I thought I was having very early onset cramps last night but it was the revenge of the jalapeņo poppers I'd eaten for lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

coronatae posted:

I thought I was having very early onset cramps last night but it was the revenge of the jalapeño poppers I'd eaten for lunch

Period popps