Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lots of places in the US do very dumb direct democracy things that make translation a bigger deal. For example, this is a Y/N ballot question from the last off-cycle election where I live:

SF Prop A posted:

To finance the construction, development, acquisition, and preservation of housing affordable to extremely-low, low and middle-income households through programs that will prioritize vulnerable populations such as San Francisco's working families, veterans, seniors, and persons with disabilities; to assist in the acquisition, rehabilitation, and preservation of existing affordable housing to prevent the displacement of residents; to repair and reconstruct distressed and dilapidated public housing developments and their underlying infrastructure; to assist the City's middle-income residents or workers in obtaining affordable rental or home ownership opportunities including down payment assistance and support for new construction of affordable housing for San Francisco Unified School District and City College of San Francisco employees; and to pay related costs; shall the City and County Of San Francisco issue in general obligation bonds with a duration of up to 30 years from the time of issuance, an estimated average tax rate of $0.019/$100 of assessed property value, and projected average annual revenues of $50,000,000, subject to independent citizen oversight and regular audits?

That election had 6 direct propositions plus about a dozen elections for individual offices with about half either primaries or nonpartisan where there is no 1:1 party to candidate mapping. There was also a mixture of "vote for exactly one person" and "vote for no more than 2 people" races. In the past, there's also been some ranked choice voting.

American elections can be exceptionally stupid, and that causes follow up problems actually running them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Deptfordx posted:

You can do it for 2, and maybe squeeze in 1 or 2 more.

Now google 'Languages of India'.

Yes India has a lot of languages. The argument though was the USA needed electronic voting because of the language problem, which is just nonsense.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

squirrelzipper posted:

You've right hosed it now mate.

Does that mean he's a Tory?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

That election had 6 direct propositions plus about a dozen elections for individual offices with about half either primaries or nonpartisan where there is no 1:1 party to candidate mapping. There was also a mixture of "vote for exactly one person" and "vote for no more than 2 people" races. In the past, there's also been some ranked choice voting.

Again, other countries do this fine.
One election a few years back I voted for a general election, a local election, a local parish election, police and crime commissioner election. And it was fine.

Having an EU elections and various local elections on at the same time used to also be common (rip).

The EU referendum also happened during local elections for most people. Requiring 2-4 different ballots with different systems and rules. All in dual language in a Wales

None of these problems are unique to the USA. You do not need electronic voting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
All this gets away from the question: even if you're going to do electronic voting, why bother including a blockchain and how is it good for bitcoin?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's not. Even in some parallel universe where electronic voting was good. Blockchain would bring nothing to the table. For a start it wrecks the privacy aspect.

How do you remove people who have died? Or moved? You have the entry point to some centralised system via meta data that holds this? Then why use the Blockchain at all.

It's a classic example of Blockchain only being the solution if you don't think about the problem for more than 5 seconds. BUT it's a solution that isn't just "make money" which is why coiners try and use it. They want to pretend Blockchain is more than just a system for people to try and make money.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 16, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

squirrelzipper posted:

wait wait, is the current tory logo, like Bojo's party, a tree? or am I missing a subtlety? poo poo I can just google this can't I?

holy loving shitballs I did, it is, and it's amazing. wtf. why a tree? next stop UKMT, there's answering I need.

Wait till you see who's PM

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's telling that there's plenty of electronic voting *machines* but there don't seem to be any electronic voter rolls which, for instance, would let you register to vote at any precinct in your general area. (You would probably need an electronic voting machine to handle people from the First Ward voting in the Third Ward, since you probably wouldn't have a First Ward ballot available for them.)

Some kind of universal automatic-enrollment voter database which would track all known voters and their locations could be useful, but that would also interfere with a State's sovereign right to choose a new people by preferentially disallowing voting by certain constituencies, and that could mean the wrong people won!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i have a feeling that if bitcoin fell to around $15k - $16k, we'd be in for a lot more comedy, but it's not loving budging. :argh:

we're always in for comedy when number go down

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Mega Comrade posted:

How do you remove people who have died? Or moved?

I mean even in the current system we don't retroactively remove everyone's historical votes when they die, I'm not sure this is a needed feature.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

putin is a oval office posted:

I mean even in the current system we don't retroactively remove everyone's historical votes when they die, I'm not sure this is a needed feature.

I meant for the system some of them suggest which is to use the Blockchain as an electoral register as well. Not removing their historical votes (in a good system you should have noway to tie votes to voters directly anyway)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

Some kind of universal automatic-enrollment voter database which would track all known voters and their locations could be useful, but that would also interfere with a State's sovereign right to choose a new people by preferentially disallowing voting by certain constituencies, and that could mean the wrong people won!

I was always baffled by how this works in other countries, here in Denmark I just get a ballot paper for anything going on in my region or relevant to my region. I don't have to apply or sign up or anything, I just have to be a citizen with an address at which a ballot paper can arrive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Not Your Keys Not Your Vote Snowball I

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Mega Comrade posted:

I meant for the system some of them suggest which is to use the Blockchain as an electoral register as well. Not removing their historical votes (in a good system you should have noway to tie votes to voters directly anyway)

I want to be 100% clear here that using blockchain for anything is stupid as gently caress and I'm not defending it. But there's no requirement that when you put something on a blockchain you have to make the chain public. The problems with using a blockchain for voting are myriad, but privacy isn't really one of them.

There are much more fundamental reasons not to bother and the most simple one is that the current system is not improved in any way by a transition to blockchain.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 16, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I want to be 100% clear here that using blockchain for anything is stupid as gently caress and I'm not defending it. But there's no requirement that when you put something on a blockchain you have to make the chain public. The problems with using a blockchain for voting are myriad, but privacy isn't really one of them.

There are much more fundamental reasons not to bother and the most simple one is that the current system is not improved in any way by a transition to blockchain.

Sure but when they say Blockchain they 100% mean a public ledger that is decentralised, as they are all convinced if you decentralise something you make it better.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

In the scenario that the blockchain is private (and centralised) it's even more useless - any old database with logging would work. Like, you know, how it's done now.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tell me you work in an Italian dairy without telling me you work in an Italian dairy.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Simple explanation why Bitcoin is not a ponzi scheme

quote:

One of the arguments against bitcoin is that it is a ponzi scheme or a negative sum game that is mathematically certain to collapse once it runs out of new users because it is a non-productive asset.

I think this is a misunderstanding of the underlying economics.

While counterintuitive, in theory Bitcoin price can go up forever and provide a net economic benefit to all bitcoin holders(positive sum game) because of it's fixed supply.

Ponzi schemes have to die because once no new users join the network there is zero economic benefit for existing holders, thus there is no reason to remain invested in it and the ponzi has to collapse.

Interestingly this is not the case with Bitcoin as hodling could be able to provide an economic benefit even when the users of the network reach saturation stage.

That is why Bitcoin can in theory sustain itself forever.

Here is why:

With its fixed supply and zero yield the best Bitcoin can do is to preserve your wealth but not add to it. It does not have earnings or pay dividends.

Since human productivity goes up over time as we learn to be more efficient thanks to technology, goods get cheaper over time.

If we merely preserve our wealth we can afford to buy more goods over time. We get richer in practice if we just manage to preserve our wealth.

For example if global productivity grows several percent each year we could withdraw the rate goods get cheaper each year from our BTC holdings while our purchasing power remains the same. We would never run out of money(purchasing power) and could in theory live forever from our investment if it's large enough.

That is more less the same as receiving a yield from an investment.

Gold is an example of a non-productive, non-yielding asset that has returned 7.5% annually since 1971 despite having an annual inflation rate(supply increase) of 1.5%. Without inflation it could have returned 9% annually. Not too bad for a dead rock. Future Bitcoin inflation will be much lower than gold.

Long-term T-Bills had roughly the same return as Gold over the same time period and not all types of bonds or savings accounts have been able to outperform gold. In fact many currency based yielding financial products have not been able to increase purchasing power over the long-term.

Just because something has a yield doesn't automatically mean that you will make money.

The Bitcoin network does have a cost which is passed on to it's users either via inflation or transaction fees but due to decreasing inflation the future network cost is expected to be much smaller than the annual increase in human productivity.

That is why the average bitcoin hodler could increase their purchasing power over time even when the user growth reached saturation stage.

In theory the price could go up forever at the rate the currency against it is traded expands it's money supply and the purchasing power of the holder would go up at the rate of human productivity growth.

The fact that holders are rewarded even when the number of users in the network saturates creates an incentive to hold and even a buyer beyond saturation does not necessarily become the bigger fool as they could still extract an economic benefit from acquiring and holding the asset.

That is why bitcoin could keep running forever while a ponzi must collapse because the economic benefits for a new buyer of a ponzi at saturation stage are negative.

A word of caution:

This is not investment advice but an analysis based on the properties of a fixed supply asset like bitcoin. Just because the price could go up over time doesn't mean it will. In the end the price will be determined by demand and future demand is hard to estimate. If you acquire bitcoin at a price level where demand is higher than future demand you could still lose a lot of money. Even gold had a maximum drawdown of -60% in the past 50 years. There are also regulatory and technological risks that could affect future demand.

Well, I’m convinced :downs:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The fact that crypto and NFT garbage died at almost the exact time everyone started taking the piss out of Slurp Juice leads me to the conclusion that Juicegate was just so profoundly stupid, so cataclysmically unbelievably ridiculous sounding, that even the biggest Cryptohead took one look at it and went

Yep

We've gone too far, it's over

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Also gently caress the term Hodl, holy poo poo it's so dumb

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Songbearer posted:

The fact that crypto and NFT garbage died at almost the exact time everyone started taking the piss out of Slurp Juice leads me to the conclusion that Juicegate was just so profoundly stupid, so cataclysmically unbelievably ridiculous sounding, that even the biggest Cryptohead took one look at it and went

Yep

We've gone too far, it's over

It's because scams die when they get too much scrutiny. And while they want buzz about their scam, to induce more suckers, they don't want the wrong kind of buzz with people who might actually ask questions. Slurp Juice Gate raised a lot of loving questions. And why wouldn't it??? The goddamn post started off by chiding us stating "A LOT OF YOU STILL DON'T KNOW! YOU CAN SLURP 3X A DAY" which is insulting because of course I knew that...

it threw up a ton of red flags is what I'm saying.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Songbearer posted:

Especially in that post, they're trying so hard to sound Very Smart then "hodler".

I know it's purely a shibboleth but Jesus does it have to be this cringe.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

coolusername posted:

Simple explanation why Bitcoin is not a ponzi scheme

I'm the hot take, in 2022, that the price of goods will forever and always only go down

drk fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 16, 2022

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i have a feeling that if bitcoin fell to around $15k - $16k, we'd be in for a lot more comedy, but it's not loving budging. :argh:
In my opinion (and conjecture based on the history of crypto), the price is being artificially pumped to bounce and stay in its current range for three simple reasons:

1. Smart exchanges and whales are preventing the price from nosediving while they are planning exit strategies, moving fiat around, and generally smashing-and-grabbing as much as they can before the dominos fall one by one and the whole thing crashes permanently. The price moving up and down $1000 at at time is just one easy way to steal funds from retail "investors" and dumb whales.

2. Greater fools are rushing in to buy at "all time lows" while still believing the price will go back up to $69k and higher, and it's the best long-term investment ever. The smart exchanges and whales are letting this happen to grab an extra pile of cash before they dash.

3. Dumb/greedy/true believers, including whales and smaller exchanges, are shuffling more money around and into BTC and other coins to "buy the dip," helping those mentioned in reason #1.

The smart exchanges and whales are allowing their platforms crash, since they've already pulled out as much as they could. A little bit of heat from the court or public to enable you to walk away with a 9-figures in free money stashed in a Seychelles bank is easily worth it. Someone in r/buttcoin posted a public ledger showing that the higher-ups at Coinbase have been sucking hundreds of millions of dollars out of the company and selling all their stock off since right before the 2022 crash. They're not buying in the bear market, they're selling out as fast as possible. Quite a few people think that once Coinbase goes down, the entire scam system will free fall. After Coinbase, the main big player left will be Binance, and I have no doubt they'll dip out the fastest once they get to that point.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Songbearer posted:

Enjoy being poor, paperhands.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PITY BONER posted:

In my opinion (and conjecture based on the history of crypto), the price is being artificially pumped to bounce and stay in its current range for three simple reasons:

1. Smart exchanges and whales are preventing the price from nosediving while they are planning exit strategies, moving fiat around, and generally smashing-and-grabbing as much as they can before the dominos fall one by one and the whole thing crashes permanently. The price moving up and down $1000 at at time is just one easy way to steal funds from retail "investors" and dumb whales.

2. Greater fools are rushing in to buy at "all time lows" while still believing the price will go back up to $69k and higher, and it's the best long-term investment ever. The smart exchanges and whales are letting this happen to grab an extra pile of cash before they dash.

3. Dumb/greedy/true believers, including whales and smaller exchanges, are shuffling more money around and into BTC and other coins to "buy the dip," helping those mentioned in reason #1.

The smart exchanges and whales are allowing their platforms crash, since they've already pulled out as much as they could. A little bit of heat from the court or public to enable you to walk away with a 9-figures in free money stashed in a Seychelles bank is easily worth it. Someone in r/buttcoin posted a public ledger showing that the higher-ups at Coinbase have been sucking hundreds of millions of dollars out of the company and selling all their stock off since right before the 2022 crash. They're not buying in the bear market, they're selling out as fast as possible. Quite a few people think that once Coinbase goes down, the entire scam system will free fall. After Coinbase, the main big player left will be Binance, and I have no doubt they'll dip out the fastest once they get to that point.

i had a meeting with someone involved in crypto who was straight-facedly saying that "people are saying this is the last good buying opportunity in crypto for a decade" and he wasn't even really trying to sell us on crypto

do not underestimate the degree to which people involved still believe

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the volumes of the big moves are pretty insane, those are usually 100s of millions worth of bitcoins bought or sold within the span of two minutes

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 16, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Booyah- posted:

the volumes of the big moves are pretty insane, those are usually 100s of millions of bitcoins bought or sold within the span of two minutes

iinm, there's only around 20 million bitcoin in total

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had a dumb forums dream again but this time it was because crypto went down to 3k which was really funny.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The problem with crypto w/r/t total idiots and the current :airquote: dip :airquote:

There's no fundamental reason BTC won't go back to 69k, and there's no fundamental reason BTC is trading ~20k right now, because there are no fundamentals. Magical thinking took BTC to 1k/20k/69k, and there's certainly no shortage of magical thinking in the world.

I've said itt before, but a lotta loving morons True Believers see crypto as a lottery ticket where you only lose if you sell.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Booyah- posted:

the volumes of the big moves are pretty insane, those are usually 100s of millions of bitcoins bought or sold within the span of two minutes

same except i'm moving digested doritos

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What was slurp juice?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ilmucche posted:

What was slurp juice?

It's a cross between Baja Blast and Jenkum.

A lot of y'all still don't know.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rinkles posted:

iinm, there's only around 20 million bitcoin in total

meant to say dollars in bitcoin, it's on the order of thousands of actual bitcoins in the big moves

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

ilmucche posted:

What was slurp juice?

Some NFT account tweeted that “a lotta yall still dont get it ape holders can use multiple slurp juices on a single ape so if you have 1 astro ape and 3 slurp juices you can create 3 new apes Tonight's slurp juice mint event is essentially a minting event for both Lab Monkes and Special Forces” and lots of people thought this nonsensical phrase perfectly captures the idiocy of the NFT thing.

Apes slurp juice and this is a legit investment and not a scam? What a time to be alive.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

ilmucche posted:

What was slurp juice?

Basically it was like a Pokemon evolution stone, but a NFT on the blockchain and you could use it on some other NFT to make new NFTs.

They gained notoriety after this tweet:

And I have to mention that at one point the tweet was read by Dana Snyder and animated

https://twitter.com/JuiceSimpsons/status/1523551892432953345?s=20&t=IzzPskQic7sS5tOjCsDg_g

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The NFT market was effectively dead before Juice Gate imo, lots of actual brands were doing mintings and getting basically no buyers or value, NFT resale value was already plummeting too.

As said before, the Slurp tweet was possibly the moment that made the casual internet at large realize the jig was up, but the money was already long gone.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Koopa Kid posted:

The NFT market was effectively dead before Juice Gate imo, lots of actual brands were doing mintings and getting basically no buyers or value, NFT resale value was already plummeting too.

As said before, the Slurp tweet was possibly the moment that made the casual internet at large realize the jig was up, but the money was already long gone.

They still held their anthrocon for NFT weirdos afterwards though

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So what caused bitcoin to spike to 60k in the first place
? And can it reach/surpass that price again? I feel like the 60k might have been the general public buying into it, but I’m not sure if that can be struck again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I thought "hodl" meant Holding on for dear life. Turns out its dumber than that.