Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

404notfound posted:

Don't think I remember seeing it mentioned, but now that they actually did Ms. Marvel's embiggening powers, what are the opinions on how it looked? Lots of people said it would have looked weird or creepy (hence why the powers were Green Lantern–ish initially), but it seemed more or less fine to me

It also didn't look remotely like human flesh distorting in any way, and was purple crystals around her regular body. So it's not really going to look the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HAD a Porsche :smug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nakia has the Porsche now. Just sayin...

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, so team Red Dagger then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol she really is Kamala

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want a D+ series of all the guys in the chairs teaming up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I enjoyed the finale but I kept seeing so many moments where you could almost see the seams of where they had to work around VFX issues or budget or something. I lost count of the times where she is using her powers and the camera is out of focus or it’s off-screen. My thought is that this is a budget issue but then I read about VFX studios being overwhelmed by demand and crunch and I wonder if it’s also just a quality problem that they then have to cover up with editing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Infinitum posted:

Want a D+ series of all the guys in the chairs teaming up

Basically, this scene from B99, but Bruno calls in Jarvis, who calls in Shuri, who calls in Ned, who calls in Agent Coulson, who calls in Hank Pym, who calls in Pepper Potts, who calls in Heimdall, who calls in Awkwafina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfrJbdOWJA

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 15, 2022

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Looking back on it, they should've handled the Clandestines in one or two episodes and given Kamran's heel turn more time. As is, that entire arc is handled in fifteen minutes.

show runner said she'd never make a young muslim man a villain so just part of an episode w the dangerous self-defense and haywire powers were probably as far as they were willing to go up to that line.

I do agree this show needed more episodes. Stuff like the red dagger, damage control, Zoe re-appearing, and Kamala's parent's acceptance of her super hero activities seemed under developed and rushed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vishass posted:

show runner said she'd never make a young muslim man a villain so just part of an episode w the dangerous self-defense and haywire powers were probably as far as they were willing to go up to that line.

I do agree this show needed more episodes. Stuff like the red dagger, damage control, Zoe re-appearing, and Kamala's parent's acceptance of her super hero activities seemed under developed and rushed.

Yeah, I definitely felt that one. I felt like I missed the scene where Muneeba went from being against Kamala even leaving the house to go to a comic convention with her friends, to being on board with being a fugitive vigilante in her spare time. But:

CapnAndy posted:

I'm really sad we didn't get a version of this scene with either Kamala and her mom or dad when they found out:

That is such a powerful line and I loved it so much when I read it. I was waiting the whole time during the rooftop conversation, it would've been so good. (Also, yes, Kamala is exactly the sort of person who wears a jacket with her own symbol on it when she's in civvies.)

This page really puts that shift in context, and helps square why Muneeba was too strict to let Kamala go to a party but is happy for her to go fight cops and demons and poo poo. That would have been a really nice conversation to see. :3:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Since I don't think I saw anyone point it out, for the nerds keeping track of timeline stuff: There was a brief shot of an un-Capified Statue of Liberty, which places this before NWH/Hawkeye, probably significantly so given that it didn't look like work had even started yet. Or it was just an oversight I guess.
They're oddly not great about that. I like playing "Did they forget to CGI in Avengers Tower again" whenever the NYC skyline shows up.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Basically, this scene from B99, but Bruno calls in Jarvis, who calls in Shuri, who calls in Ned, who calls in Agent Coulson, who calls in Hank Pym, who calls in Pepper Potts, who calls in Heimdall, who calls in Awkwafina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfrJbdOWJA

Bruno calls in Ned who calls in Katy(Awkwafina) and they all drag Kamala off to do karaoke with Shang-chi and Wong so we get to see Iman Vellani do "Livin' on a Prayer."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Don't forget Falcon 2, whatever his name is.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

404notfound posted:

Don't think I remember seeing it mentioned, but now that they actually did Ms. Marvel's embiggening powers, what are the opinions on how it looked? Lots of people said it would have looked weird or creepy (hence why the powers were Green Lantern–ish initially), but it seemed more or less fine to me

It seemed like they were kind of deathly afraid to show it straight on and only relied on reflections on the stuff around them or filming Kamala waist up. I don't think it was creepy, it looked kind of cheap but the camera trickery and other stuff helped sell the CG better.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's effectively a mech suit and the logistics on those things are pretty wonky.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Everyone posted:

Bruno calls in Ned who calls in Katy(Awkwafina) and they all drag Kamala off to do karaoke with Shang-chi and Wong so we get to see Iman Vellani do "Livin' on a Prayer."
Cut to Zemo standing in the smoking ruins of a city, muttering "someone usually stops me before I get to this part".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Originally I was super turned off by them changing her power set because I liked the weird-rear end body horror stuff of the first run of Ms Marvel, but honestly, the combination of her new powers to emulate what happens in the comics looked really good and I have no complaints.

This show is just so drat fun. :3:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Cut to Zemo standing in the smoking ruins of a city, muttering "someone usually stops me before I get to this part".

Zemo's butler.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Caught up and finished Ms. Marvel last night. This is the first of the Disney+ MCU shows I actually felt like needed another episode or two. During e5 I was thinking, well this show is paced really well so far. Then I remembered there was only one episode left, and yeah, the finale was pretty good, but also a speed-run of rushed plot points.

My favorite moment in the finale, and probably the entire show, was Kamala's mom giving her a new costume. I swear, 5 years ago before I was a parent that scene might not have done much for me, but it was really good. Speaking of Kamala's mom, she ended up being an underrated gem in this show.

That said, I got pretty amped up at the mutant reveal and the little X-Men leitmotif that played. I am anxious to see where they go with it all and how they're going to integrate a back-story for mutants in general in this universe. However, the themes of surveillance and bias against Muslims portrayed in the show do make Kamala a very good fit to be a mutant, if they'll keep faithful to the mutants as stand-ins for the systemically oppressed.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 15, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One thing that comes up in the finale is Bruno discovering mutants. It's possible someone working for Fury or just a regular scientist has also found it but Bruno figured it out on his own. He comes off like a super genius in general.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 15, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Ah, so team Red Dagger then

Nope. Team Reverse Harem and she can have all three of them. (This is a very popular romance genre and it would break so many brains it would be awesome). Also, just watched the whole show and I think this is maybe my favorite or second favorite Marvel show behind or tied with Loki? Miles above everything else.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The DoDC lady saying "this is what happens when the wrong people get powers" and clarifying she meant "kids", could play into the X gene activating in your teen years.
She'll either be head of the Anti Mutant Task Force or she does a face turn and works for whatever the MCU mutant academy is.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My last name? I can't believe I never told you...it's Williamstryker

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Turns out the DoDC has some Hammer drones from Iron Man 2 that have been upgraded by a guy named Dr. Trask and have been renamed...Sentinels.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

The DoDC lady saying "this is what happens when the wrong people get powers" and clarifying she meant "kids", could play into the X gene activating in your teen years.
She'll either be head of the Anti Mutant Task Force or she does a face turn and works for whatever the MCU mutant academy is.

She seems primed to go join whatever org Hydra is masquerading as now

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

She seems primed to go join whatever org Hydra is masquerading as now

Busting Hayward out of wherever he got sent.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Until the DoDC guy ordered the stand down and pinned it all on one bad apple, I figured they actually were laying the groundwork for an eventual segue into them going down the Sentinels/rounding people up route. All the Sovokia Accords stuff would go well with it.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Sentinel Red posted:

Until the DoDC guy ordered the stand down and pinned it all on one bad apple, I figured they actually were laying the groundwork for an eventual segue into them going down the Sentinels/rounding people up route. All the Sovokia Accords stuff would go well with it.

They could still do that. He was only really mad that Deever turned the whole affair into a circus and made the department look bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DukeofCA posted:

They could still do that. He was only really mad that Deever turned the whole affair into a circus and made the department look bad.

She broke the Great Commandment of modern bureaucracy: Thou Shalt Not Make Thy Agency Look Evil and/or Incompetent on TV.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Still not really on board with the light platforms but Kamala embiggening actually looked pretty cool.

I hope the show (if there is a season 2) remembers that she can shrink, too

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dell_Zincht posted:

Still not really on board with the light platforms but Kamala embiggening actually looked pretty cool.

I hope the show (if there is a season 2) remembers that she can shrink, too

I mean I think she just made a light-body round herself to Embiggen, I don't see how could give her the ability to shrink.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

En-squish-en.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean I think she just made a light-body round herself to Embiggen, I don't see how could give her the ability to shrink.

well now that she's a mutant, the rules are out the window, just "secondary mutation" that poo poo and have her do whatever

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Well they seem to be making a point that Kamala's powers are natural, the bangle just "unlocked" them. My guess is the bangle is doing its best to emulate her existing powers and she'll eventually have to learn how to manifest them without outside assistance, but that's probably way down the line now and who knows how they'll actually handle that when/if it does happen.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess I need to go back and watch that part again. Did Kamala actually alter her own physical body's size/shape or did she just create a "bodylike" construct of light energy to pull that off like she did with making the big hands to catch/shield people?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everyone posted:

I guess I need to go back and watch that part again. Did Kamala actually alter her own physical body's size/shape or did she just create a "bodylike" construct of light energy to pull that off like she did with making the big hands to catch/shield people?
It’s the latter

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s the latter

Combination of the two, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnlrvbMKb0

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 17, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tsob posted:

You know, I kind of figured that Valkyrie or Jane Thor would succeed Thor at some point as the "Godly Avenger" but the end of Thor: Love & Thunder suggests it might be Hercules instead. Which I'm okay with, both because Hercules is fun as gently caress in the comics, and because Brett Goldstein is great on Ted Lasso.

Oh that was him? Awesome. That guy rules.

It's a bit hard to tell, but it seems to be the second option to me. Like you can see her tiny human arms below those light energy arms.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

not sure what your clip is supposed to be showing that supports that

at 28:49 in the episode you can see her normal, regular sized hands inside the embiggened hands