Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Borat Voice My Wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Said person is a good poster, and I for one am happy their life is cool and good.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
God forbid someone should post about the people who are important to them.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Bargearse posted:

God forbid someone should post about the people who are important to them.

Indeed.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
peeve: Italian-Americans doing the weird exaggerated pronunciation of Italian ingredients in English in American contexts. Just say ricotta don't ask me for rrrriggot' three times in increasing annoyance

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah just say "rye-coater" like a regular person.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

InediblePenguin posted:

peeve: Italian-Americans doing the weird exaggerated pronunciation of Italian ingredients in English in American contexts. Just say ricotta don't ask me for rrrriggot' three times in increasing annoyance

Hey, fergedda-bout it. Pass me the moots-zarel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Said person is a good poster, and I for one am happy their life is cool and good.

:agreed:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah just say "rye-coater" like a regular person.

?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Haha I'm trying to cancel my Paramount+ free trial and they have so many obnoxious gimmicks to try to trick me into accidentally not cancelling. I have to answer "are you SURE you want to cancel???" prompts about eight times, and like, every other prompt the yes/no buttons are swapped, or their colors are swapped, or the "yes" button is barely visible, and once it asked me if I wanted to cancel but it was like a double negative. All these goofy loving childish steps that serve no purpose but to cause a person to accidentally do something else. I've worked in sales, I know this sort of pressure to keep a person subscribed is going to be there, but I've never seen anything so deliberately designed to just make you accidentally get billed.

Put in as many loving gimmicks as you want to entice a person to stay but these shenanigans I feel violate some ethics code.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also those Donate To Wikipedia things where the choices are YES OF COURSE and not right this second but sure probably later

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
i get eaten alive by mosquitos every time i go outside. there shouldn't even be mosquitos here in this desert-rear end environment but my bougie loving apartment complex is decorated with tropical foliage that they water way too much. i loving hate summer

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

docbeard posted:

Also those Donate To Wikipedia things where the choices are YES OF COURSE and not right this second but sure probably later

At least they're not using Jimmy Wales' sad dumb face to shame you into donating any more.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Re: account cancelation fuckery- I HATE all of that, the button-switching especially. we both know I’m going to drunkenly resubscribe in a few months anyway, come on!!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

DontMockMySmock posted:

i get eaten alive by mosquitos every time i go outside. there shouldn't even be mosquitos here in this desert-rear end environment but my bougie loving apartment complex is decorated with tropical foliage that they water way too much. i loving hate summer

Just FYI many local and state jurisdictions have laws against creating shallow standing water where mosquitoes breed because obviously it creates a public health hazard. Not to get your hopes up or anything but there's a chance you have recourse, here, if you feel like pursuing it, and it might not require any more effort than a phone call or two. My sincere sympathy, though, I also live in an arid environment and NOT having a poo poo load of biting insects is one of my favorite aspects of the local climate.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HOLY gently caress posted:

Re: account cancelation fuckery- I HATE all of that, the button-switching especially. we both know I’m going to drunkenly resubscribe in a few months anyway, come on!!

Yeah they know my viewing habits by now, just remind me before the only show I watch comes out with a new season

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Be it tabletop, video, or actual irl sports- I loving hate when people get all righteous about "just playing for fun."

Everyone plays games for fun. Some people enjoy tryhard competitive matches. Some people don't. It's all fine.

Ironically the people that get irate about people being good and trying to win are the most insufferable most of the time. Why would you even play a game with winners and losers where you aren't trying? Would you watch a hockey match where half of both teams can't skate and be like "drat this is so good, way better than pro hockey, they're just playing for love of the game!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When puzzle games that are mostly able to be played slowly and deliberately include one puzzle element or type that requires timing.

I'm currently playing The Talos Principle, and most of the puzzles are just figuring out where to place things, in what order, and how to link them up. Doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it as long as you've figured out the solution. But sometimes there'll be a bit that's just "run between these kamikaze robots at the right moment, when they're far enough apart from each other", and a few puzzles that introduce a record-and-playback mechanic, whereby you can do half the puzzle and then play it back so you can simultaneously do the other half - which requires that you leave yourself enough time in the first half to be able to match the second half up with it.

And both types are just a hassle. It's not more difficult to figure out what to do, it's just fiddly to pull off. And that's not what the rest of the game is about. It's fine for a game to be about quick reactions or timing things right. But throwing little bits of that stuff into a game that's otherwise not about that is loving irritating. It's as bad as mandatory stealth sections in shooters. This is not the game I came here to play and I'd like to go back to that game because I was enjoying it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Be it tabletop, video, or actual irl sports- I loving hate when people get all righteous about "just playing for fun."

Everyone plays games for fun. Some people enjoy tryhard competitive matches. Some people don't. It's all fine.

Ironically the people that get irate about people being good and trying to win are the most insufferable most of the time. Why would you even play a game with winners and losers where you aren't trying? Would you watch a hockey match where half of both teams can't skate and be like "drat this is so good, way better than pro hockey, they're just playing for love of the game!"

It depends on context. Does the person hyping the "just have fun" aspect want people to let them win? Or are they trying to get Devin, the guy who is screaming about Mario kart at a casual get together, to calm down for a second

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It depends on context. Does the person hyping the "just have fun" aspect want people to let them win? Or are they trying to get Devin, the guy who is screaming about Mario kart at a casual get together, to calm down for a second

That's a different thing- being a sore loser. My issue is with people insisting that someone can be having fun wrong. In a game with one winner and many losers. I love a good co-op game, there's loads of those! But you don't get to voluntarily play a competitive game and then complain that you were there for fun while everyone else tried to win.

e: post prompted by a grown-rear end 29-year-old man being upset at losing to my 4-year-old niece at a board game last night. Cmon dude. We didn't let her win. We honourably lost in the nerd octagon. Let it stand.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jul 16, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's a different thing- being a sore loser. My issue is with people insisting that someone can be having fun wrong. In a game with one winner and many losers. I love a good co-op game, there's loads of those! But you don't get to voluntarily play a competitive game and then complain that you were there for fun while everyone else tried to win.

e: post prompted by a grown-rear end 29-year-old man being upset at losing to my 4-year-old niece at a board game last night. Cmon dude. We didn't let her win. We honourably lost in the nerd octagon. Let it stand.

Hahaha lol what a weenie, yeah that guy sucks

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Amazon Prime Video app on my tv will sometimes just... Stop displaying subtitles for several lines, then run through the super rapid fire until its caught up.

It made watching a French language film last night very interesting and rather inscrutable on occasion.

I don't want to fire my xbox up to use the app on it, the whole idea is fewer devices running, dammit.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

The Amazon Prime Video app on my tv will sometimes just... Stop displaying subtitles for several lines, then run through the super rapid fire until its caught up.

:same:

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would you watch a hockey match where half of both teams can't skate and be like "drat this is so good, way better than pro hockey, they're just playing for love of the game!"

That does sound more entertaining than NHL. Back when Starcraft 2 was still new and I watched pro games every once in a while there'd be a bronze league tournament or the like and it was always way more fun than the pros. Unfortunately something like that is just unsustainable since if it actually got popular you'd end up with actual quality players trying to infiltrate the poo poo league and ruining it for everyone.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also experienced the subtitle thing, I hate it

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would you watch a hockey match where half of both teams can't skate and be like "drat this is so good, way better than pro hockey, they're just playing for love of the game!"

This is children's Tball and it is the greatest sport to watch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh sweet it's not just my smart tv being old.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

couples that call eachother "babe"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shibawanko posted:

couples that call eachother "babe"
Disagree, that's a powerful pet name

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is children's Tball and it is the greatest sport to watch.

Ok this is true. I love how each kid will have their own cartoonish running style because they haven't quite figured out the mechanics yet.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FFT posted:

Disagree, that's a powerful pet name

For a pet pig maybe

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Minor league hockey is great. Sometimes they fight too

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any sport that doesn't regularly have fist fights is worthless.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's definitely a place for that. It's pretty much the reason why I watch women's AFL games every now and then.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
People who walk in the exact middle of a sidewalk that is maybe wide enough for like 2 1/2 people. Especially when they zig-zag and/or abruptly stop as they move along.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who walk in the exact middle of a sidewalk that is maybe wide enough for like 2 1/2 people. Especially when they zig-zag and/or abruptly stop as they move along.

Same thing for people in parking lots who walk in the middle of the aisle where a car cannot pass by.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

YeahTubaMike posted:

You could have just said "tourists".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
People who walk 1% slower than I and are in front of me. It's that awful thing where our speed is almost matched but I'm definitely going faster, but if I were to naturally pass them, we would end up walking side by side for an uncomfortably long period of time, and the only solution is to sprint past them, but that looks weird. I usually just end up crossing the street or ducking down an alleyway when this happens.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

credburn posted:

People who walk 1% slower than I and are in front of me. It's that awful thing where our speed is almost matched but I'm definitely going faster, but if I were to naturally pass them, we would end up walking side by side for an uncomfortably long period of time, and the only solution is to sprint past them, but that looks weird. I usually just end up crossing the street or ducking down an alleyway when this happens.

I think just picking up pace for a bit until you're comfortably past them is perfectly acceptable. This is one of those things which must literally happen to everyone who walks, sometimes. Other than the absolute slowest person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Perfect Element posted:

I think just picking up pace for a bit until you're comfortably past them is perfectly acceptable. This is one of those things which must literally happen to everyone who walks, sometimes. Other than the absolute slowest person.

The problem I guess for me is, I'm already a fast walker. I'm 6'3" and take long strides. Walking any faster turns into awkward speedrunning for me.

Frequently I do this thing where once I'm too close to the person, I pretend I'm checking my phone or something so I can stop moving and give them another headstart.

Edit to complain more:

gently caress you, 7/11 Careers page. Trying to get a sick job as a convenience store guy, but it kicked me out halfway through entering my information, saying it had timed out due to inactivity. Then it said my password was wrong. Then it locked my account because I entered the password wrong too many times, so I had to reset. Now it says I can't use that password because it's my old password. Well jesus loving christ, 7/11 Careers page.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Jul 19, 2022