Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It absolutely depends on the game and settings. Something like Stardew Valley will last forever, while Cloudpunk drains the battery like there's no tomorrow. Stuff like lowering details in game or capping frame rate/refresh rate with deck settings can then be used to find your sweet spot in performance/details/battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Did you happen to have anything downloading in the background? I don't think Desk Job is too intensive, but I didn't pay attention when I played it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mm that could be, my library was downloading and I'm sure there were some going on in the background. I guess I'll be docking most of the time anyways and if I'm going on a plane or something I can just bring a battery pack

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Opopanax posted:

So first real chance I got to play with the deck I tried Desk Job, that took about half an hour and by the end the fans were loudly blasting hot air out the top and the battery was halfway down, is that more or less normal? It didn't seem super hot, but definitely noticeable, but I'm more concerned with the battery, I was hoping for more than an hour

This tracks with my experience and apparently a few other people's experience as well. Desk Job has an option in the main menu for battery optimization, so it's likely Valve knew it takes a toll but wanted to default to having the game look as nice as it can to make a good first impression on Deck owners. If you're like me, you probably also played through it before messing with system-level battery optimizations like setting the refresh rate to 40Hz, so that's another thing to take into consideration.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I've also done no real optimization. I'm not great at computers so I don't mess around with that stuff unless I have to

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kaddish posted:

After turning down pedestrian density I’m getting a smooth 60 fps in Sleeping Dogs. It defaulted to extreme for some reason.

However, I just had a crash right at the end of the night club mission.

Haven't reached that part, yet.

Please don't break my heart/make me file a bug report. :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Yeah I've also done no real optimization. I'm not great at computers so I don't mess around with that stuff unless I have to
You kinda have to on the deck, if you want battery life, a lotta stuff out of the box is gonna draw 20W+ which is sub two hours battery life but it's something you have a lot of control over.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
yeah, I haven't tweaked mine much, but the first thing I did was bring down the refresh to 40. I'll tweak other things later, but I feel like that is a good base start for anyone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

yeah, I haven't tweaked mine much, but the first thing I did was bring down the refresh to 40. I'll tweak other things later, but I feel like that is a good base start for anyone.

Yeah I was just going to suggest this.

I don’t even mess with 60 anymore at this point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I cannot discern a difference between 50 and 60.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's so easy to switch I usually just keep it on 60 and drop it down if I'm in a situation where I need to start sipping battery. The novelty of playing a lot of these games at 60 on a portable is still powerful to me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Nearly a year after ordering this drat thing as fast as I could I got a steam pop up asking me to confirm my order! How long does it generally take to ship once you’ve paid?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Nearly a year after ordering this drat thing as fast as I could I got a steam pop up asking me to confirm my order! How long does it generally take to ship once you’ve paid?

You should have it in about a week give or take.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

You should have it in about a week give or take.

:zoid:

Can’t wait to finally dig into disco Elysium while in bed

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Warpinator / Winpinator has been a pretty easy way to get files to my deck, for me.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
Joining in on the general excitement / mindless discussion. Slightly larger and warmer than I expected, but enjoying it way more than I thought I would, find myself exploring parts of my steam library that otherwise went untouched. Any complaints I've been hearing about fans or screen quality seem like pointless nitpicking, the device is by far one of the most enjoyable I've used, unexpectedly usable form factor reminiscent of using the Game Boy SP for the first time with all the "Oh boy I'm gonna mod this bad boy" of the original PSP.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I kind of love the size because the screen is huge and it fits what I'd consider average adult hands well

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone having problems starting Arkham City? It’s labeled ‘Great on Deck’ but it doesn’t start, I can hear the intros but the Steam logo keeps spinning perpetually. Tried a reinstall, and tried the Proton Experimental compatibility

homeless snail posted:

It's so easy to switch I usually just keep it on 60 and drop it down if I'm in a situation where I need to start sipping battery. The novelty of playing a lot of these games at 60 on a portable is still powerful to me.

Same. I can’t not play MGSV at 60fps. It’s amazing.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I've really need to figure out settings for Tokyo Jungle in RPCS3 on this, it keeps crashing as I get to the end of the tutorial.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Animal posted:

Anyone having problems starting Arkham City? It’s labeled ‘Great on Deck’ but it doesn’t start, I can hear the intros but the Steam logo keeps spinning perpetually. Tried a reinstall, and tried the Proton Experimental compatibility

Posts on ProtonDB say you have to set it to windowed mode in the launcher.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

kdrudy posted:

I've really need to figure out settings for Tokyo Jungle in RPCS3 on this, it keeps crashing as I get to the end of the tutorial.

I really need to take the time and see if I can get Metal Gear Solid 3 HD working properly on RPCS3, but right now it just seems to lag a bit. Granted, I really haven't poked the settings much yet, been having too much fun fiddling with the deck and installing random stuff

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I forgot that cheap key stores exist and just loaded up on a bunch of games, hell yeah

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

caldrax posted:

Warpinator / Winpinator has been a pretty easy way to get files to my deck, for me.

I discovered this as well while setting up some emulation stuff. I'm a little sad it doesn't seem to support drag and drop, but aside from that it's handy enough that I think it's going on my list of utilities that gets installed on any machine I own.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I finished downloading and installing Shadow of War, which was shy of 100GB. Here's hoping it runs and plays well on Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZKBSf3aLf4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ShaneB posted:

I forgot that cheap key stores exist and just loaded up on a bunch of games, hell yeah

Have a care - some of those are extremely sketchy and you could lose your games. As a rule of thumb anything that shows up on isthereanydeal is legit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, there's a small number of key seller sites that are actually legit and get the savings from bulk key purchases but some of them (most notoriously G2A) are basically there for money laundering as people sell keys bought with stolen credit cards. Some developers have even said they'd rather you pirate their game than buy it through G2A because it can end up costing them more money in refunds and chargebacks than they got from the original sale.

Personally I've always used Green Man Gaming, they often have pretty good deals on new releases and their sales are good too.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 16, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i’ve never had a game get cancelled from G2A or anywhere else

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same. I get stuff from cdkeys as well, never had an issue.

I suppose it could happen but I’ve done it for years and never had an issue.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've had beta keys get cancelled, but the only time I got an actual key cancelled is when I got Arkham Knight refunded from GMG after they offered no-question refunds because of how bad the PC port was. Although I think it took them like a month or two to cancel the keys.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a $70 deluxe edition of Forza I bought on g2a invalidated after a month of use. Never again.

PowerBeard posted:

I finished downloading and installing Shadow of War, which was shy of 100GB. Here's hoping it runs and plays well on Deck.

I did the same, seems to run at 60fps during the initial scenes, but I haven’t reached the open world. Capped it at 40hz for lower wattage and feels great

pseudorandom name posted:

Posts on ProtonDB say you have to set it to windowed mode in the launcher.

This was it, thanks. Making changes to that setting screen was very annoying, just switching it to full screen took me like 30 seconds fiddling with the touch screen, then another 30 seconds trying to save it. If the game is marked as ‘Great on Deck’ isn’t it supposed to work without changes.?

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 16, 2022

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Anyone got any good indie game recommendations for the Deck? I've already got stuff like Dead Cells, Slay the Spire and Into the Breach on there, but I know there's more good stuff out there that plays well on the deck

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

me either. cheap games ftw

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tibbeh posted:

Anyone got any good indie game recommendations for the Deck? I've already got stuff like Dead Cells, Slay the Spire and Into the Breach on there, but I know there's more good stuff out there that plays well on the deck

Hyper light Drifter

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tibbeh posted:

I've been playing a fair bit of Nova Drift (currently on sale!) and 20 Minutes Till Dawn (a run in Vampire Survivors usually overshoots my commute time by a hair). I've also been meaning to replay Hollow Knight ahead of Silksong, and the deck is giving me a good excuse.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crystal Project was a surprisingly good time if you like JRPG mechanics and 3D exploration.

Into the Breach gets a big ol' free update on Tuesday.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Into the Breach is excellent. I already have it on Switch but with this update maybe it’s time to play it on the Deck, I’ll be happy to give the devs more money.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I just don’t find G2A/Kinguin/etc. to be so much cheaper than what I can find on IsThereAnyDeal that it’s worth the risk of it getting ripped out of my library.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

I just don’t find G2A/Kinguin/etc. to be so much cheaper than what I can find on IsThereAnyDeal that it’s worth the risk of it getting ripped out of my library.

I've used cdkeys a bunch and had no issue. Other sites have stats (who knows how reliable) on key issues and a bunch of the resellers have like 100k sales with .5% issues, so I'll gladly buy Dead Cells for 5 bucks and take my chances. I do hope that's not actively hurting other people though. But ethical consumption capitalism etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Deck owns. Started Into the Breach and it owns.

I keep feeling like I have the game figured out and it's going to be easy and then I do dumb poo poo on the second or third island and lose.