Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Jeez the global Crown models look nice, particularly the SUV.

Of course we get what we loving deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Franco Caution posted:

drat Z06 is now above 100k base. :(
Miss the good old days of what 65k?
Can you even get a base C8 for what a 1st gen z06 cost back in the day?

Man I just remembered gen 1 was 50k. I forgot the first couple of years werent crazy price wise.
Welcome to inflation.

Also a base C8 is quicker, faster, tighter, sharper, and a hell of a lot better built than a C5Z06.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Welcome to inflation.

Also a base C8 is quicker, faster, tighter, sharper, and a hell of a lot better built than a C5Z06.

And I still would get the C5 in a blink because I could sidestep the clutch do a sick rear end burnout.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Same but also in C6 and C7 Z06 flavors.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
When is the electric Vette going to be released because I want to see the boomers explode in rage

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Is the entire rear end piano black plastic?

At least there's no capacitive button bs inside.

lol 28mpg

That’s gotta be an error or be the case for the higher power one (probably still a low estimate), no reason it can’t get low 40s like the current ES hybrid.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KakerMix posted:

When is the electric Vette going to be released because I want to see the boomers explode in rage

It's gonna be a SUV, the Corvette Mach-E :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smooth jazz posted:

Jeez the global Crown models look nice, particularly the SUV.

Of course we get what we loving deserve.

Looks kind of like one of the Alfa SUVs?

It's OK for what it is but I hope the cowards make a RWD Athlete sedan too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Inner Light posted:

It's gonna be a SUV, the Corvette Mach-E :v:

It's a GM it'll have to be the Corvette Mach-SS
Or Mach ZL-1 or some poo poo.

Speaking of ev poo poo, I can't be the only one that would think its sweet if manufacturers started releasing Electric cars in old body styles am I?
I don't mean retro looking poo poo, but actual OLD bodies. I know it'll never happen, probably because of crash safety reasons, but I think it'd be dope as gently caress to buy brand new Fox body Electric Mustang or some poo poo. A Four eyed Fox with T-Tops :getin: Its not like they'd have to worry too much about aerodynamics to help with fuel efficiency.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And I still would get the C5 in a blink because I could sidestep the clutch do a sick rear end burnout.

I was trying to think of a stick shift v8 car that'll still be on sale in 2024 other than the new mustang. Camaro will be gone, Corvette is auto only, all the mopar stuff is auto only. Is there anything else? Kinda makes me want to buy an S650 Mustang GT in a "now or never" sort of way.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Speaking of ev poo poo, I can't be the only one that would think its sweet if manufacturers started releasing Electric cars in old body styles am I?
I don't mean retro looking poo poo, but actual OLD bodies. I know it'll never happen, probably because of crash safety reasons, but I think it'd be dope as gently caress to buy brand new Fox body Electric Mustang or some poo poo. A Four eyed Fox with T-Tops :getin: Its not like they'd have to worry too much about aerodynamics to help with fuel efficiency.

EVs seem to make an even bigger deal over aerodynamics in order to maximize range. Flush door handles and black plastic bits over the wheel rims etc. Retro inspired can be cool if done well, the upcoming Renault 5 EV is something I could see myself driving in a few years:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Franco Caution posted:

Same but also in C6 and C7 Z06 flavors.

gonna fill a field with these when the boomers all die off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Crash test poo poo is far too stringent for this to ever happen unfortunately but I agree that it would be very cool. Happy to sign a contract to say I know what I'm getting myself into in terms of safety features (none).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Someone created a website to track dealer markups.

https://markups.org

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

PBCrunch posted:

Idea time!

Small hub motors on the non-driven wheels with just enough grunt to creep a car forward. Put them on a manual transmission car. When the car is in no gear and the brakes aren't pressed, the car creeps forward in traffic without having to dick around with the clutch. Now you can have fun with a manual transmission when conditions allow and you don't have to put all that effort into operating the clutch to move forward three feet at a time.

This except with a twin turbo v8 and an 8spd dct

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

sanchez posted:

I was trying to think of a stick shift v8 car that'll still be on sale in 2024 other than the new mustang. Camaro will be gone, Corvette is auto only, all the mopar stuff is auto only. Is there anything else? Kinda makes me want to buy an S650 Mustang GT in a "now or never" sort of way.

I thought Dodge only took away the manual option from the Hellcats. R/T and Scat Packs still have it, no?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

sanchez posted:

Reasons why I pulled the trigger on my 2021 Miata earlier this year.

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

EVs seem to make an even bigger deal over aerodynamics in order to maximize range. Flush door handles and black plastic bits over the wheel rims etc. Retro inspired can be cool if done well, the upcoming Renault 5 EV is something I could see myself driving in a few years:

Yes please, please bring this to the states. I recently saw the Bolt redesign and have been seriously considering one to replace my Elantra GT Sport… kinda over having a gas daily.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

sanchez posted:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Skipopatomus posted:

I thought Dodge only took away the manual option from the Hellcats. R/T and Scat Packs still have it, no?

Looks like you are correct on the challenger, I had no idea

fridge corn posted:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage?

Looked this up for fun, can't tell for sure but they may have been discontinued this year.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 16, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Corvette EStingRay ohhhh can they steal Manta Ray from Opel for a Corvette Manta Ray SUV EV SS?

or ChevEtte

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 16, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CorvEtte

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

:hmmyes: The Corvette that's like a yeti, AWD EV with a CUV like lift, huge tire gap and a lot of plastic trim along the bottom half of the body and fenders.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Elem7 posted:

a lot of plastic trim along the bottom half of the body and fenders.

Now now, its a Chevy not a Pontiac.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

This is now officially my dream car and I will move hell and high water to purchase this if it ever comes out, an incredible looking car holy gently caress

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Whats the provenance of the wheels styling on that Vision 74? The only thing I remember looking them is RC car wheels in the 80s or 90s but I assume there's some motorsport relevance or something.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Whats the provenance of the wheels styling on that Vision 74? The only thing I remember looking them is RC car wheels in the 80s or 90s but I assume there's some motorsport relevance or something.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/turbofan-wheel-history-design-photos-details/

quote:

Typically, an early racing turbofan wheel was little more than a flat, round plate backed with vanes, bolted to the outside of the car's wheel. The idea was that the flat outer surface produced less aerodynamic drag, while the vanes inside the wheel would still distribute ample cooling air over the brakes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

sanchez posted:

Looked this up for fun, can't tell for sure but they may have been discontinued this year.

Okay not a v8 but how about a V12 Vantage?

Hard to think they'd axe the v8 vantage without replacing it. Idk I've been out of the loop with astons for a while. Who knows what's going on over there and how much they're struggling with just turning the lights on every morning

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks kind of like one of the Alfa SUVs?

It's OK for what it is but I hope the cowards make a RWD Athlete sedan too.

The higher performance one has an electric motor on the rear axle from the RZ/BZ, there will never be a new rwd crown. It’s also on the same platform wheelbase as the new electric SUVs so it’s primed for going electric in however long, also explains the lifted thing so you can fit the battery later without crunching the interior.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 16, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Russian Bear posted:

The higher performance one has an electric motor on the rear axle from the RZ/BZ, there will never be a new rwd crown. It’s also on the same platform as the new electric SUVs so it’s primed for going electric in however long, also explains the lifted thing so you can fit the battery later without crunching the interior.
Ah makes sense. At least Mazda is going to save us with the RWD I6...suv.

Also the new NE Miata just leaked, they're taking weight saving even more seriously now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

instrumented tests of the hummer are out.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a40618071/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-edition-1-by-the-numbers/

Highlights:

9640lbs. With a 10,400 gvwr, that givers the hummer EV a payload capacity of 760 pounds, meaning with 5 150lbs occupants, you have 10lbs left over for cargo.
0-60 in 3.3 seconds
70-0 braking in 211 feet, 31 feet longer than a lightning.
100-0 braking in 504 feet, 187 feet longer than a WRX. (C&D unfortunately does not test non-performance vehicles from 100-0)

It has a 290 mile range at 75mph, a 212.7 kwh battery pack, and a 11.5kw onboard charger, meaning charging with the onboard charger would take 18.5 hours from empty. or give you roughly 15.67 miles per hour of charging.

The Ford Lightning has a 300 mile range, 131kwh battery, and 19.2kw onboard charger, meaning charging with the onboard charger would take 6.8 hours from empty, or give you 44 miles of charge per hour of charging.

There will obviously be differences based on the state of charge. Hummer states that in perfect conditions, a 350kw fast charger gives you 100 miles in 10 minutes.

e: The Hyundai Kona N, with a GVWR of 4250lbs and a tested weight of 3343lbs has a payload capacity of 907lbs. 147lbs more than the hummer.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 17, 2022

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
They've managed to make the new Hummer as ostentatiously wasteful and stupid as the old one which is pretty impressive in a way

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

heated game moment posted:

They've managed to make the new Hummer as ostentatiously wasteful and stupid as the old one which is pretty impressive in a way

I think it was Doug who said that if an electric Hummer would to succeed, it needs to be even more "antisocial" than the ICE ones.

And boy is it ever. 200+ ft to stop at highway speeds, loving yikes.

More than double the distance of an X7: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2019-bmw-x7-xdrive40i-first-test-review/ but that thing only (🙄) weighs 5300lbs

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 17, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta ask who the gently caress can even afford a hundred thousand dollar EV at all these days, especially for a hummer, we’ve now reached prices that open higher end sports cars at this point.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

heated game moment posted:

Honestly. The whole 'just make it an EV' thing is utterly pointless when it's this heavy and uses quite this many resources that could be instead put into anything else.

I worked out a while back that the Hummer's battery pack could be instead put into ~640 nice Specialized Levo bikes yielding a far better bang for your buck out of the raw materials.

Also the physics of something this heavy is insane and disgusting.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta ask who the gently caress can even afford a hundred thousand dollar EV at all these days, especially for a hummer, we’ve now reached prices that open higher end sports cars at this point.

I'm convinced there is this whole hidden demographic behind the scenes that keeps to themselves but makes enough to buy poo poo like this.

It's the same reason every smaller manufacturer is trying to move upmarket. It's meant for the hidden people who are doing surprisingly well all things considered. Not rich, just rich to me and you.

Every single person I meet, or comment I read is "lol who the gently caress can afford this poo poo? It ain't for me or anyone I know."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Middle class is definitely shrinking, but I'm fairly sure we've also got more millionaires/billionaires than every before, too. There's no shortage of disgusting rich people to buy this poo poo. And plenty of upper middle class Lifestyle Creep folks, too.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

I'm convinced there is this whole hidden demographic behind the scenes that keeps to themselves but makes enough to buy poo poo like this.

It's the same reason every smaller manufacturer is trying to move upmarket. It's meant for the hidden people who are doing surprisingly well all things considered. Not rich, just rich to me and you.

Every single person I meet, or comment I read is "lol who the gently caress can afford this poo poo? It ain't for me or anyone I know."

I’m willing to bet it’s the same class of people like dentists who buy Porsches, none of us know who they are but they’re 80% of Porsches costumers

Like I’m thinking of saving up for my first EV (which will probably be something like an Ioniq 5 N) but then I read somewhere that it will cost over 60,000 dollars which makes it double the price of any other combustion performance hot hatch like the Kona N, just completely outside the affordable level for me.

So it looks like I will absolutely go for a combustion car for another five six years until electric finally becomes sane prices

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
...and MOST of these dipshits only care about the 0-60 of the giant EV's (or EV's period)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
That hummer is $30k cheaper than a Model X Plaid, right? It even undercuts the basest model X you can buy by a good amount, and I see model Xes all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao at the payload capacity especially vs the Kona. Incredible.